Moparts

motor plate tips

Posted By: littlejohn44

motor plate tips - 02/12/15 05:45 AM

How are you guys sealing your water pumps with motor plates? Are you running gaskets on both sides or just sealer?
Posted By: tubtar

Re: motor plate tips - 02/12/15 05:54 AM

I went with a remote pump , but was planning on using this till I changed plans.
The stuff is supposed to seal really well....no gasket needed.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Yamalube-...407&vxp=mtr
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: motor plate tips - 02/12/15 06:04 AM

I used a set of superformanceproducts gaskets on each side of the plate. No sealer and it has never leaked even a drip.
Posted By: Gabby63

Re: motor plate tips - 02/12/15 06:13 AM

I also only used just gaskets on each side of the plate . Recently I had the motor plate powder coated and cannot seem to keep the pump from leaking now . Did it in the spring and had to replace the gaskets twice through the year when it would start to leak . I am going to remove the powder coating where the gaskets go and reseal . never had issues before the coating . Gary
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: motor plate tips - 02/12/15 06:16 AM

I use two gaskets per side and thermostat housing silicone sealer on them

Re: motor plate tips - 02/12/15 06:41 AM

Where have you been getting your gaskets from? Are they thicker than the fel pros?
Posted By: mikeysmopars

Re: motor plate tips - 02/12/15 07:22 AM

Quote:

I used a set of superformanceproducts gaskets on each side of the plate. No sealer and it has never leaked even a drip.

SAME HERE!

Attached picture 8426859-DSCN1746.JPG
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: motor plate tips - 02/12/15 08:14 AM

Quote:

Where have you been getting your gaskets from? Are they thicker than the fel pros?

Click the link in my post. I know there a aa number of vendors that carry them but I got mine directly from Greg as he helped sponsor my motor build with Koffel's Place.

It's been a while since I put it together but IIRC they are a hair thicker then the Fel Pro's.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: motor plate tips - 02/12/15 05:13 PM

I use the Mopar black RTV on both sides of the plate

Attached picture 8427044-120531_1102c-w640-h479.jpg
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: motor plate tips - 02/12/15 06:14 PM

Just grey silicone on both sides of mine...never leaked a drop.

Re: motor plate tips - 02/12/15 07:37 PM

i have never ran a plate so i didnt know if it was a leaky area. Thanks for all the replies
Posted By: markz528

Re: motor plate tips - 02/12/15 08:26 PM

Quote:

i have never ran a plate so i didnt know if it was a leaky area. Thanks for all the replies

O ring. I oring'd the plate. Absolutely no leaks.

Re: motor plate tips - 02/12/15 10:35 PM

Just got off the phone with superformance i have 4 sets heading this way. Greg was really helpful, will buy from him again.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: motor plate tips - 02/12/15 10:59 PM

A few more tips.. put the frame mounting points BEHIND
the motor plate.. that way you dont have to lift up
and over the mounts... also put at least 2 bolts per
side and spread them apart.. that way it wont try to
pivot on a single bolt.. I use a 3/8" motor plate to
reduce flex
Posted By: sccuda

Re: motor plate tips - 02/12/15 11:14 PM

Permatex Right Stuff on both sides of plate w/NO Gaskets. Never look back will last for years.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: motor plate tips - 02/13/15 12:35 AM

On my old school setups I use paper gaskets but I hang everything from studs so I can slide the water pump on and off without dropping the engine.

My newer stuff is all converted over to o-rings and/or remote water pump. I think the remote water pump is the way to go.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: motor plate tips - 02/13/15 12:50 AM

Black RTV only for me, Gray is even better as Chip mentioned but it almost welds the parts together lol. I blew out gaskets in the burnout box years ago and never used them again but I bet the Superformance ones are fine.
Posted By: Chad Bittle

Re: motor plate tips - 02/13/15 01:59 AM

Quote:

I also only used just gaskets on each side of the plate . Recently I had the motor plate powder coated and cannot seem to keep the pump from leaking now . Did it in the spring and had to replace the gaskets twice through the year when it would start to leak . I am going to remove the powder coating where the gaskets go and reseal . never had issues before the coating . Gary

Must have orange peel if I had to guess. You could sand it with scotch brite or real fine sandpaper before you put it back together, you shouldn't have to take it down to bare metal, though.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: motor plate tips - 02/13/15 03:09 AM

Ultra gray only here..Never had an issue.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: motor plate tips - 02/13/15 11:33 PM

Quote:

Same here..NO leaks at all!
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: motor plate tips - 02/14/15 03:41 AM

I can only assume most on here that are using silicone now have, in the past had issues or have not been pleased with the performance of their water pump gaskets.

Those that use silicone on their gasket, unless there are some sealing surface issues, really don't have much faith in their gasket in their gasket of choice.

Believe it or not water pump gaskets used in motor plate applications and especially with the 2 piece "Elephant Ears" are under very heavy torsional stress.

Thanks for the call littlejohn44

Anybody else interested in trying Superformance gaskets, don't be shy. There really is a difference
© 2024 Moparts Forums