Moparts

Swing-out bars / Pro-Street door bars

Posted By: topbrent

Swing-out bars / Pro-Street door bars - 01/10/09 09:42 AM

How picky are most tech guys about either of these things?

ET's in the Low 11's high 10's

Posted By: KatFysh

Re: Swing-out bars / Pro-Street door bars - 01/10/09 03:15 PM

Not sure about picky, but they are passable in the NHRA rule book. Mines out in the garage right now. Not sure what the et's are that they can be used in.
Posted By: Kam*Kuda

Re: Swing-out bars / Pro-Street door bars - 01/10/09 03:22 PM

these are mine, suposed to cert to 8.50's

Attached picture 4937549-roll-swing.jpg.JPG
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Swing-out bars / Pro-Street door bars - 01/10/09 03:25 PM

Swing out bars are legal, the pro street bars I don't know about. The pro street bars IMHO are designed to fail in a roll over, the bends will allow them to fold up.
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Swing-out bars / Pro-Street door bars - 01/10/09 04:17 PM

the prostreet bars were in the blue camaro at drag week 06
Posted By: The Shadow

Re: Swing-out bars / Pro-Street door bars - 01/10/09 04:56 PM

My cage builder didn't want to even put a slight bend in the door bars for the arm rests
I'd be real leery about bars with those bends. You'd be just as well having no bars at all.
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Swing-out bars / Pro-Street door bars - 01/10/09 08:16 PM

Mine passed inspection for division 3 cert.for 7.50. I think the rules have changed since then and now 8.50. They are also removeable.

Mark

Attached picture 4938189-CopyofHenry\'sQtrs.004.jpg

Re: Swing-out bars / Pro-Street door bars - 01/10/09 08:21 PM

Another pic, that shows the front mount.

Attached picture 4938208-CopyofHPIM1538.JPG

Re: Swing-out bars / Pro-Street door bars - 01/10/09 10:18 PM

Here is a better picture.

Attached picture 4938542-HPIM1789.JPG
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Swing-out bars / Pro-Street door bars - 01/10/09 11:10 PM

so the prostreet door bars wont pass tech....
Posted By: brktracr

Re: Swing-out bars / Pro-Street door bars - 01/11/09 02:57 AM

My bar looks like Kam Kuda and it is cert to 8.50. Don't think the pro street bar would cert.
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Swing-out bars / Pro-Street door bars - 01/11/09 04:20 AM

You must brace the Pro Street bar.

The idea of a door bar is to protect from side impact.

An added feature of a good door bar installation is added support to the main hoop and chassis.

A swing out bar does not accomplish this.

A pro street bar will push in during side impact which does not protect the driver. If you brace the bar from the bend at the drivers thigh back to the bottom of the main hoop you are improving the issue.

I ran my own version of a pro street door bar on my first cage. It only had one bend in it. I was required to install the brace just mentioned to make it legal. I am a big guy and have found it is a bad compromise when you try alter the door bar from just a straight door bar. The door bars I install are X'ed and can be done to have more clearance for driver entry with full cages than most than a lot of single door bars on 6 point roll bars.

Leon
Posted By: topbrent

Re: Swing-out bars / Pro-Street door bars - 01/11/09 07:05 AM

Quote:

You must brace the Pro Street bar.

The idea of a door bar is to protect from side impact.

A pro street bar will push in during side impact which does not protect the driver. If you brace the bar from the bend at the drivers thigh back to the bottom of the main hoop you are improving the issue.

I ran my own version of a pro street door bar on my first cage. It only had one bend in it. I was required to install the brace just mentioned to make it legal.
Leon

Would the pro-street door bar brace be something like this?
Posted By: Stewart

Re: Swing-out bars / Pro-Street door bars - 01/11/09 09:19 PM

Problem with most bent swingout bars is they dont pass by the driver midway between the shoulder and elbow which is the requirement. The one Topbrent shows appears to have that problem. Also in that photo the main hoop crossbar appears too high. Rule says shoulder high to 4" below shoulder. Back of seat also needs to be braced to the crossbar.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Swing-out bars / Pro-Street door bars - 01/11/09 09:32 PM

My A/FX coronet is cert. 8.50...It has a swing bar but is setup in the manner Stewart listed above.
© 2024 Moparts Forums