Moparts

TCS aluminum direct drum bushing

Posted By: ntstlgl1970

TCS aluminum direct drum bushing - 01/31/15 07:49 AM

I have a TCS steel jacket aluminum drum in my car and the bushing needs to be replaced. Anyone change one before? The stator sealing rings wore some serious grooves into the bushing - was using the transgo sealing rings (scarf cut teflon I think). Should I be using different sealing rings? I thought using the regular metal rings would tear the bushing up real bad.
Posted By: dvw

Re: TCS aluminum direct drum bushing - 01/31/15 02:59 PM

Steel rings are recommended on a non bushed aluminum drum. The Teflons are more aggressive.
Doug
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: TCS aluminum direct drum bushing - 01/31/15 03:24 PM

I have the TCS aluminum drum with the bushing. After many years I replaced it due to sealing ring wear on the bushing. Tips I remember:
1) make a bushing driver to fit
2) use a little Loctite between the bushing and drum
3) align holes/slots in bushing with matching part of drum

Mine pressed out and back in without too much effort. But I used a well fitting bushing driver and a manual arbor press to push it straight.

Attached picture 8413670-Aluminum_Drum_Bushing_change1-small.jpg
Posted By: BigFish69

Re: TCS aluminum direct drum bushing - 01/31/15 04:23 PM

I sent my back to TCS for 75.00 included bushing and labor not worth chance of tipping the bushing and distorting the aluminum housing if you don't have the proper tools.
Posted By: ntstlgl1970

Re: TCS aluminum direct drum bushing - 02/04/15 09:35 AM

going to talk to TCS tomorrow, was starting to have issues of clutch chatter in reverse when hot, but no issues with 3rd (this is in a 518). Guess I found the source of that issue

Attached picture 8418533-drum1.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums