Moparts

back in the 9's

Posted By: J_BODY

back in the 9's - 01/25/15 06:54 PM

well I've had some inquiries as to how the car ran last week. Hauled down to Phoenix to partake in a chassis cert session and entered the test and tune. At this point I'll say the engine ran great.... however... Between going full retard with a new combo, and a shifter that decided it would make the 1-2 shift on the hit, we didn't get one real good pass out of the five. I'll condense the five passes into one time slip between flubbed shifts and tire spin:
1.28 60 best out of the 5 and best for the car. this shows hope. minimal wheel stand.
6.100 to the 1/8 on that hit... new best. 113.45 @ the 1/8.... another new best.
9.644 1/4 @ 141.12.
Guess that will be my baseline for things to come.

We dynoed the engine with a Quick Fuel 1050.... spacer and my dominator wouldn't clear the hood, so I grabbed the 4150 BG carb off the 360. Now we knew absolutely nothing about this carb other than a friend bought it at a swap meet ions ago (IIRC it was presented as a 930cfm) and we'd used time to time on different engines. It always worked well, as it did on this engine. But I finally did a little "learning" and came up with BG4779-3 with 1.68 throttle plates is basically a really good 750 cfm carb. Perfect for a small block....but probably not this one.

The shifter.... the love/hate of the T/A Cheetah SCS seems to run very deep on both sides. I've been told the "SCS" means Sometimes Continues Shifting.... I learned the difference between a "gate" shifter, and a "ratchet" shifter. I was ready to give PPP my hard earns, but after calling them and talking options my head was ready to explode so I sat back and weighed my options. I called TA and talked to Paul.... of course I'm the only one in the universe that has had this issue, but in talking with him I came to the realization that I might be able to work this out. I dropped my Griner valve body out friday night and to work we went. I removed the "rooster comb" and shimmed the detent spring. I also took a die grinder to the 1st gear detent and after about 3 hits of increasing it's depth and steepening the ramp I could hardly shift it on the bench by hand. Installed it in the car and BANG! I can now feel 1st and it won't drift back into 2nd, but yet shifts firm. Might have saved myself a little coin with a die grinder/beer session. I probably should have done the same to the 2nd detent, but the gate on the shifter seems to work fine for 2-3.

Only other "big" issue of note was that when I had to really lean on the brakes toward the end of the shutdown on the 1/4 passes was that the oil psi dropped. We added a quart for the last hit and it didn't seem to make alot of difference. That might take some thinking.... Easy button might be a clean N valve body

I've got alot to learn, changes to be made, but realistically I think we'll get 147mph out of it. Maybe not in Vegas, but I think it's there.

and HUGE THANKS to: Brett Miller (top end), Brian Hafliger (IMM Engines), Brian Smith (Smith Innovations), Comp Chassis in Phoenix, and Al Alguire who's always a text away!
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: back in the 9's - 01/25/15 07:02 PM

Posted By: BPE

Re: back in the 9's - 01/25/15 07:03 PM

Sounds like a good first outing.Things never seem to go as planned, but it sounds like you have a handle on it.

Rod
Posted By: fishy340

Re: back in the 9's - 01/25/15 07:15 PM

Good 60',good top end mph better then Mine..1/8 is the same As mine...kinda weird.
One thing I've known and believe is our little sb's love carburetion for some reason.
Good luck...
Posted By: 451Cuda

Re: back in the 9's - 01/25/15 07:15 PM

I still prefer my B&M Pro Stick. Simple and effective
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: back in the 9's - 01/25/15 07:53 PM

anytime they're still in one piece is a good thing.. I'm sure there's a lot more to come ..good luck
Posted By: BradH

Re: back in the 9's - 01/25/15 08:40 PM

The oil pressure drop under deceleration is not a good thing... maybe time for an Accusump?
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: back in the 9's - 01/25/15 08:47 PM

Jay I'm sure as the bugs are worked out of your new combo you will be smiling more when you get your time slip.

Posted By: tubtar

Re: back in the 9's - 01/25/15 10:17 PM

Not a bad day at the office at all.
I am a couple snow falls away from my first hits on the track , so I am encouraged by your success.......and now have a list of potential mistakes I will make too.
Well done.
I went with an accu-sump for a couple reasons , one of them being extended highway cruising.
I was a little worried about oil staying upstairs and sucking the pan dry on the long stretches where my right foot fails to retract , as well as losing pressure in the shut down , but the needle stays where Daddy likes it with that deal.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: back in the 9's - 01/25/15 10:25 PM

Are we going to see you and the car in Vegas?

Feb 14 & 15?
Posted By: 408strokerdart

Re: back in the 9's - 01/25/15 10:49 PM

Quote:

Good 60',good top end mph better then Mine..1/8 is the same As mine...kinda weird.
One thing I've known and believe is our little sb's love carburetion for some reason.
Good luck...

I know mine loves the 1250 even with the little camshaft.
Posted By: Brian Hafliger

Re: back in the 9's - 01/25/15 11:19 PM

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's gonna pick up quite a bit with a larger carb.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: back in the 9's - 01/26/15 12:47 AM

Hmm, the trans shifts itself into 2nd at the hit on the starting line, I never had that happen AFTER I learned to stiffen my arm up a bunch before hitting the throttle so my hand and arm wouldn't move backwards at the hit making the shifter shift Your not the first and I'm sure you will not be the last one to have that happen on a shifter like those in a car that moves really hard. I've even hurt my hand on my old 1963 Bracket Beleveder(1.49 60 ft.) when my hand flew off the shifter and hit the roof roll bar behind the seat Now to work on getting it to hook, BTW, how many times did your back hurt on the hit I had to retrain myself to push myself back into the seat before letting go of the button on the new car to make the stupid car quit hurtng my back during the run, especially last year when coming off the throttle stop
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: back in the 9's - 01/26/15 03:23 AM

Its time to think about Quick 16 at MATs
Posted By: Darryls-Demon

Re: back in the 9's - 01/26/15 03:25 AM

This is the 1.28 60ft pass.

Attached picture 8407946-IMG_0374.JPG

Re: back in the 9's - 01/26/15 03:39 AM

Quote:

I still prefer my B&M Pro Stick. Simple and effective

I think that's what Jesse runs in his Duster. We had that conversation. Funny thing is I ran a Hurst Promatic 2 in my Mirada forever (ratchet shifter) and it never missed a beat. We order the same shifter for the Duster and had nothing but grief, so my dad ended up getting the TA. Pretty sure I've got a handle on this issue

Quote:

The oil pressure drop under deceleration is not a good thing... maybe time for an Accusump?

no not a "happy" thing to have and issue with. Usually time consuming and expensive. Accumsump is a thought as is a clean N transbrake so I can just shut down the engine.... or pull the engine and re-evaluate what we have. Vegas has a pretty long shutdown as does Bakersfield so one of those tracks will be a true test.

Quote:

Jay I'm sure as the bugs are worked out of your new combo you will be smiling more when you get your time slip.

it can only get better we hope! signed up for March Meet so I hope to have it somewhat ironed out for that.

Quote:

Are we going to see you and the car in Vegas?

Feb 14 & 15?

probably not Tony.... family flying into town and they always love to drag the locals down to the strip....

Quote:

Hmm, the trans shifts itself into 2nd at the hit on the starting line, I never had that happen

I kid you not.... on the fifth pass i let go of the trans brake and was watching/staring at the shifter shift on it's own. Not the safest thing in the world but that's why they have walls

Quote:

Its time to think about Quick 16 at MATs

If they limit entrys to blue small block A bodys I'm in!
Posted By: ProSport

Re: back in the 9's - 01/26/15 04:26 AM

That's why I've ran the B&M Pro-Ratchet my whole life, bolt it in and forget about it, impossible to miss a shift.

Congrats on the first outing, that thing is fast!
Posted By: moparmanjames

Re: back in the 9's - 01/26/15 05:02 AM

Dang J, that thing is flying! I know it's probably been covered but can you give a rundown of the combo? Awesome car man!

Re: back in the 9's - 01/26/15 03:42 PM

E68 engine pulled from an old highway patrol car with a 3/4 race cam......

...or it could be a R3 block 4" stroke 439 W8 combo. 264-272 @ .050 108lsa .750 lift at retainer, 13.5-1....750 cfm double pumper. should still creep into the 9's in Vegas. Needs a little more gear....4.30 in it right now.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: back in the 9's - 01/26/15 10:28 PM

Good to hear you got the car out! Runs strong
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: back in the 9's - 01/26/15 10:48 PM

Lots left in it for sure. Now if we can talk him into a good shifter
Posted By: CokeBottleKid

Re: back in the 9's - 01/26/15 10:52 PM

Quote:

Between going full retard with a new combo

Just had to
Posted By: Airwoofer

Re: back in the 9's - 01/26/15 10:57 PM

My SCS Cheetah does the same thing in the demon. I have a sign on the front bar that says "Hand off the shifter" so I do not get to 2nd right on the launch.

Nice passes.

Re: back in the 9's - 01/27/15 12:05 AM

Quote:

My SCS Cheetah does the same thing in the demon. I have a sign on the front bar that says "Hand off the shifter" so I do not get to 2nd right on the launch.

Nice passes.

I've got that 1st gear detent dang tight now. If you ever feel in the mood for improvement, drop your valve body, shim the spring behind the detent ball, and file that first gear slot a little deeper

Attached picture 8408773-image.jpg

Re: back in the 9's - 01/27/15 01:49 AM

Quote:

...or it could be a R3 block 4" stroke 439 W8 combo. 264-272 @ .050 108lsa .750 lift at retainer, 13.5-1....750 cfm double pumper. should still creep into the 9's in Vegas. Needs a little more gear....4.30 in it right now.

Nice! What converter and how much does it weigh?
Man that is too cool running 9's with a worked 750 dp!
Posted By: Wax

Re: back in the 9's - 01/27/15 02:16 AM

Buy the electric or CO2 shift kit for your current shifter. You can shift it with time or rpm. Just a thought cousin. I see that the car still pulls the front tires. It seems that it has always done that. See if you can borrow a BIG carb and put on for test and tune. It will haul the mail for sure.

Re: back in the 9's - 01/27/15 03:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

the driveline was basically untouched from our W5 era. We have 2 converters from Ultimate and currently the 8" is in there. We also have a 9" that may actually be better suited to the torque of this thing. Got to get alot ironed out before we start playing with converters. I actually saw quite a bit more trans temp on these passes, but so far attributing that to the "automatic" shift at the hit. Dropping from 6200 rpm to 3500 will create some heat Car weighs just a bit under 3K with driver.

Re: back in the 9's - 01/27/15 05:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

the driveline was basically untouched from our W5 era. We have 2 converters from Ultimate and currently the 8" is in there. We also have a 9" that may actually be better suited to the torque of this thing. Got to get alot ironed out before we start playing with converters. I actually saw quite a bit more trans temp on these passes, but so far attributing that to the "automatic" shift at the hit. Dropping from 6200 rpm to 3500 will create some heat Car weighs just a bit under 3K with driver.

Yeah I hear ya on the ironing out, I barely have time to work on mine, I wanted to go test at this next Vegas race but I have to go to China of all places for 3 weeks so I'm aiming for MATS as my next outing.
Man your car is making some steam for sure, 141 mph is badass for the first outing, great job man.
What rpm is it going through at?
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: back in the 9's - 01/27/15 05:41 PM

Congrats! Very strong running combo and a nice first trip to the track w/ it!
Posted By: Rob C

Re: back in the 9's - 01/30/15 04:06 PM

Congrats to you. I know it has got to be a great feeling to be back in the saddle.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: back in the 9's - 01/30/15 04:31 PM

Great to hear you hit the track again with some VERY nice hits.
© 2024 Moparts Forums