Moparts

THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE

Posted By: OUTLAW565

THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/24/15 05:28 AM

Ok i thought id start this thread so everyone can share their R5 P7 builds, experience and questions.

I'll kick it off with my project, a 1977 Chrysler Centura street car. Obviously it's an R5 P7. Mikes built powerglide with a 6800rpm chevy convertor. Custom built adapter from R5 to Powerglide with a custom crank adapter. Sbm JW flexplate and sbm starter. Chromoly 9" with 40 spline gun drilled and star flanged moser axles. Strange pro race brakes. Standard suspension points with the exemption of a track locator. Anti roll bar. Strange dbl adj coilovers. Mark Williams through bolt 3rd member with MW lightened spool, Lamb ball bearing pinion support and 4.3 Richmond street gears. Max wheel single bead locks. Strange GT front struts with Alumastar fronts. Peterson dry sump tank, fuel cell and battery in the trunk. Pwr trans cooler under the truck floor. Pwr radiator. 8 point chromoly cage with removeable front half (as per Aussie specs for a street car). Corbeau low back front seats. Racepak UDX dash. Msd 7530 and a grid.

Posted By: DemonDust

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/24/15 06:56 AM

Looks nice, why such a big oil tank? I'll let you know right now from experience the tires you have on that car now. Don't hook for sh!t. You'll be lucky to run low 10s with them, even launching from an idle. The pro ETs are the way to go

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/24/15 07:28 AM

Yeah my oil tank is huge, but it was cheap. And considering the car will be driven more on the street than at the track a bit more oil wont hurt it. Those tyres are just on there so i could move it around for now. I'll end up putting 26x10 pro bracket radials on it as et street radial pros are only available in 275. My car is untubbed for the time being. I want to see if i can get a small tyre to hook first.

Do you care to share some info and pics on your duster mate?
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/24/15 08:55 AM

Quote:

Looks nice, why such a big oil tank? I'll let you know right now from experience the tires you have on that car now. Don't hook for sh!t. You'll be lucky to run low 10s with them, even launching from an idle. The pro ETs are the way to go

I think he'll be okay with that tire. He has A LOT of suspension to play with
Posted By: LAD 524

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/24/15 04:14 PM

Looking great there, looking forward to seeing this build when done !!

Posted By: mopartony

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/24/15 11:52 PM

Well I will get in on this post.

I am running a Sprint Cup long block. I went with an M&M intake. It has been welded and ported to clean up the flow and to even it out. 2 Holley Ultra HP Dominators. this is backed with a Browell Bell housing with a custom adapler plate from Dodge Garage (R5P7Duster). There is a Bruno drive unit and a Liberty Extreme 4spd. Moser fabricated 9", strange 40spline gun drilled axles, AFCO double adjustables, 4 link, anti-roll bar, strange struts up front with a flaming river rack and pinion.

Chassis is Moly and will be a 6.0 cert car.

This is what I started with.

Attached picture 8406777-demonproject2.JPG

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/24/15 11:54 PM

right from the chassis shop.

Attached picture 8406778-Demonbeforewire.jpg

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/24/15 11:57 PM

Wiring by BJS Racing. What he did in 5 days was amazing.

Attached picture 8406780-Demonwireprogress.jpg

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/25/15 12:02 AM

back side

Attached picture 8406786-demonrearend.jpg

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/25/15 12:03 AM

wiring finished and dash in, sort of. gages and all will need to be installed but just going to paint so no need to get everying thing in.

Attached picture 8406789-wiringfinishedanddashin.jpg

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/25/15 12:06 AM

tail light shot.

Attached picture 8406792-rearend.jpg

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/25/15 12:08 AM

last heading to paint.

Attached picture 8406795-headingtopaint.jpg

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/25/15 01:55 AM

That looks good Tony! Have you had it on the scales yet? Should be around 2200 to 2300 with driver? Keep us updated mate. That will be good fun with the liberty.

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/25/15 02:29 AM

Thanks!

Aiming for 2250 at race wt. not on the scales yet. I still think there is about 50lbs of steel to still be removed from the what is left of the body. Basically the rocker panels and a couple other places.

I will keep you posted.

Engine as it sat over the holidays.

Attached picture 8406951-tram.jpg

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/25/15 03:03 AM

Yeah i thought it would be light. Im interested to see how you go with that manifold and dominators.

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/25/15 03:09 AM

Heres a couple cars for sale on Racingjunk with R5 P7 engines.

http://www.racingjunk.com/Complete-Race-...24HP-Mopar.html

http://www.racingjunk.com/Door-Cars/182365031/2014-Dodge-Challenger-.html

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/25/15 03:27 AM

Those are both customers of mine.

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/25/15 03:31 AM

Engine builder is lining up Dyno time as soon as he has my 512 done for my Duster. He will dyno both before shipping them.

That Challenger looks really naughty. wouldnt mind having that one reside in my garage.

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/25/15 03:33 AM

That's a beautiful car, Robert sent me pics every step of his build.

It started as a BIW challenger.

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/25/15 04:57 AM

I'm running a 904, 7200 stall. Mono leafs and cal tracs. DA Viking shocks. I run clocks off so I don't care to share much more. Currently rebuilding my engine, it was getting tired after 5 years.

Hoping to get the suspension dialed in with the new build and run KOTS and some grudge racing.

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/25/15 05:18 AM

Thanks for sharing mate. I wouldn't give to much away if was running N/T either.
Posted By: fishy340

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/25/15 05:32 AM

Just some info for you guys...The m&m intake for sb2 is very small to get what the heads like.
The reason I say this is your p7s are almost identical and I've seen the monster intakes for beastly sb2 motors...the runners are a little smaller then a tennis ball

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/25/15 06:36 AM

Like this?

Attached picture 8407176-traminside2.jpg
Posted By: sshemi

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/25/15 09:56 AM

Quote:

I'm running a 904, 7200 stall. Mono leafs and cal tracs. DA Viking shocks. I run clocks off so I don't care to share much more. Currently rebuilding my engine, it was getting tired after 5 years.

Hoping to get the suspension dialed in with the new build and run KOTS and some grudge racing.

When you rebuild it will you get new pistons with normal rings, or go with the super expensive rings?

Im pretty sure when my motor needs rebuild i will get a set of custom pistons with normal rings grooves. Either get them for boost or NOS.
Posted By: knyech1

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/25/15 12:48 PM

I'm taking on the daunting task of building one of these up from a virgin block and a few parts (which everyone says I shouldn't do. I will be putting in a more normal piston and ring package with lower comp for a big turbo.

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/25/15 01:00 PM

Quote:

I'm taking on the daunting task of building one of these up from a virgin block and a few parts (which everyone says I shouldn't do. I will be putting in a more normal piston and ring package with lower comp for a big turbo.

Sounds good mate. What size turbo are you going to use? Blow through or efi? The main and big end journals are a bit small.

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/25/15 04:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

When you rebuild it will you get new pistons with normal rings, or go with the super expensive rings?

Im pretty sure when my motor needs rebuild i will get a set of custom pistons with normal rings grooves. Either get them for boost or NOS.

I'm currently undecided on a block. I may go with an aluminum block, I'm waiting to hear back on what the specs of it are. If it is usable for what I want, I will go with that. Even if I use my current block or the other one I have laying here which are both iron. I would use a normal ring pack .043,.043, 3mm. Even if I used my old pistons, Eric at Rebco can open up the ring lands for under $250 for the whole set, so cost effective rings can be used. I've got about 10 sets of new and used pistons so no matter which way I go it'll get a more normal ring pack.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/25/15 05:47 PM

Since these are normally a very high reving engine
and I assume a fairly short stroke... whats the longest
arm you can fit in the block.. and of course.. can you
find a long arm crank

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/25/15 07:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Sounds good mate. What size turbo are you going to use? Blow through or efi? The main and big end journals are a bit small.

I have been told that by a few people, but honestly don't know how concerned I need to be with the journals. It's a standard Honda B18 rod. Manley makes a turbo tuff rod for them with 1.88 big end and an .866 pin and 4 of those rods are capable of 1000+hp. Far as the crank mains they run 302 mains and I have no worries about that.

I am not sure what size turbo. I have had my eyes on a BWS480 with the Airwerks upgrades. It's capable of 1200hp or so, and that's a ton. If I wanted more than 1200hp I would be looking at something a little bigger.

I really wanted to go efi on this one, but don't know where to start with that. Injectors and throttle body are no problem, but have zero experience with fuel control modules and tuning. Plus....it's expensive.

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/25/15 07:28 PM

Quote:

Since these are normally a very high reving engine
and I assume a fairly short stroke... whats the longest
arm you can fit in the block.. and of course.. can you
find a long arm crank

I think this has been talked about before. IIRC you can fit a crank in these blocks large enough to go over 400ci. Finding a crank will be impossible, because all of them are billet ones from NASCAR teams. Well unless someone had one made and would want to sell it. I think the longest crank I have seen was 3.300" stroke, and the longest rod I've seen was 6.200". My crank is 3.255" and the rods are 6.000".

Guys like Jesse have done way more than me though. He may tell you otherwise. I'm just getting into these platforms, have lots to learn.

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/25/15 07:52 PM

I've seen a 3.73? and a 3.800. The guy that had them wanted stupid money for them so I passed since they were used.

I called Winberg and they can make them in the 3k range. I've seen around 8-10, 3.55-3.58 on eBay. They usually went for a decent price, but at the time I wasn't looking to buy.

I think a 4" is possible but you'd have to open up the cam tunnel for clearance.
Posted By: Leon441

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/25/15 09:12 PM

The most stroke I have seen on EBay was 3.300. There was an engine for sale with more stroke. I missed the deal. It was a 388.

I started looking at a later date than R5P7 duster did. Message is they are gone.

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/25/15 10:24 PM

Yeah, all the big stroke stuff I found was 2006 early 2007, when I was looking for parts to finish my build.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/26/15 12:29 AM

I was just wondering... looks like the gen 3 is still
in the near future ... thanks guys

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/26/15 02:42 AM

Quote:

I was just wondering... looks like the gen 3 is still
in the near future ... thanks guys

I got rid of my gen3 hemi build because the parts were just as expensive, and the R5 block is much more capable. Made better sense to me.

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/26/15 05:35 AM

Mike,

I am not sure on the stroke but I have been told a 414 is achievable with the stock block. Not sure what mods maybe needed to make it fit in the block.

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/26/15 07:23 AM

414 is easily achievable. That 3.75 crank I could have bought would have put me there with the early petty pistons no problem. I know that will fit with little issue. The block the guy was selling it with didn't appear to have any machine work done on it.

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/26/15 04:39 PM

EEI advertises iron block combos at 414".

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 01/26/15 08:41 PM

If you look at Jeremy Combs fb page you can see one of manifolds cut in half..
Jeremy builds some of the baddest engines out their and why Extreme is his company name ..
And yes BIG is better

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 02/01/15 02:01 AM

What ignitions are you blokes using on these engines?

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 02/01/15 02:21 AM

I run MSD. But, I'm using nothing from the original setup. I run a belt drive distributor and a crank trigger.

With the NASCAR distributor any MSD 6 or 7 series ignition will work.
Posted By: R5P7 Bantam

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 02/01/15 08:29 PM

Quote:

What ignitions are you blokes using on these engines?

I use an MSD 7AL-3 with a Pro Power coil. I use the Crane distributor as well. This dist. has 3 wires per side. Two are the signal wires from the MSD and the third (red one) need to have power 12v supplied to it. I believe the crane unit is the best unit available. There's no reluctor (sp?) or pickup like typical distributors.

Mike
Posted By: Dave W

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 02/01/15 08:45 PM

Anyone have a used block with one-piece main seal for sale...CHEAP? I'm in need of one. PM me if so. Thanks!

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 02/01/15 10:02 PM

Race parts liquidators says he has some.

Of course I had to sleeve mine and support the crack for insurance.
Posted By: jg309

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 02/01/15 10:18 PM

i've got a budy thats got a new one, i'll see if it's a one piece & what he'll take for it, how can u tell the difference??,john,p/m me or my # is 618-946-2640
Posted By: jg309

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 02/01/15 10:28 PM

i was talking to ryan the other day & he's building a 520 r5-p7

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 02/01/15 10:45 PM

Can't be an MP iron block if it's that big. Whose block is it?

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 02/02/15 01:00 AM

EEI

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 02/02/15 03:15 PM

Quote:

Can't be an MP iron block if it's that big. Whose block is it?

Pretty sure it's an EEI aluminum block.

Or it could be one of Ritters XR2 blocks. I think you could get those in a tall deck as well...

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 02/02/15 11:47 PM

Ryan is building a cast iron XR2 Ritter. It is not a R5P7. It's a XR2P7. LOL

But seriously that's what it will be when he gets it done.
Posted By: Ck[FIN]

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 02/04/15 03:49 PM

I am using 7al-2 and pro power coil. "stock" msd dist.

Best run so far with 2845lbs 9.29s.
727 and leafs. car is now torn apart, 9" and 4-links are coming in few months.

Attached picture 8418660-rear.jpg
Posted By: MattW

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 02/04/15 05:50 PM

Quote:

Any issue with that block?
Matt

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 02/05/15 08:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Matt

YES
Posted By: MattW

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 02/05/15 08:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Matt

YES

Small stuff or Big stuff?

Man oh man if Ritter can get them straighten out he will make some money

Thx

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 02/06/15 02:35 AM

Machine work with dull tools. One guy installed head studs and found the holes were not cut and threaded square.

We can only hope these blocks get better.

Done correctly should make a great peice.

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 02/06/15 02:10 PM

Quote:

Machine work with dull tools. One guy installed head studs and found the holes were not cut and threaded square.

We can only hope these blocks get better.

Done correctly should make a great peice.

It always boggles my mind that a machine shop can't do a job that seems pretty straight forward. And with all the 5 axis stuff they have these days, to index, locate holes, and be able to make a program should not be an issue at all.

Even something as simple as brake caliper brackets I bought from aerospace where machined almost .100 out of square. Of course they made me new ones at no charge, but WTF?

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 02/07/15 04:20 AM

Let's hope these will be perfect

Attached picture 8421586-ullSizeRender.jpg
Posted By: fatman

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 02/07/15 04:43 AM

Ryan's block was in the line hone today so it should come together very soon. His plan is to build and dyno in the near term, but it wont go into his car for several months. If the news is good I'll post the dyno numbers

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 02/07/15 04:47 AM

Looks very nice Leon!

Can't wait for the 904 stuff

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 02/07/15 04:59 AM

No plans for doing 904 stuff. I am 4 months into this deal. Holidays, trade shows, change of ownership. I will see this deal through. And we will see what the new ownership does. QuickTime says things should be better with MSD owning them. Time will tell.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 02/07/15 05:20 AM

Quote:

No plans for doing 904 stuff. I am 4 months into this deal. Holidays, trade shows, change of ownership. I will see this deal through. And we will see what the new ownership does. QuickTime says things should be better with MSD owning them. Time will tell.

MSD has come out the other side of their difficulties OK then?

Kevin

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 02/22/15 05:32 AM

Bells are done. Flexplates also. Need spacer and converter pilot.

Attached picture 8437026-_20150220_211821.JPG

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 02/22/15 05:33 AM

Flexplate

Attached picture 8437027-IMG_20150221_165443.jpg

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 02/23/15 07:52 AM

Leon that flexplate image didn't work. Can you repost it please. Im keen for one of these kits once soughted.

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 02/23/15 01:11 PM

Ok what have people done with making custom headers for these engines? The nascar headers I have are 1-7/8 stepped to 2. The primary tubes are 21" long. Then into the usual nascar Tri y collector. The original nascar headers are thin wall tube, in the 0.035 area or there abouts.

As none of the original headers will fit in my car im going to make my own. We are very limited over here in Aus on thin wall material so im going to have to use 0.060 wall 304ss. I'm thinking of making them 2" stepped to 2-1/8" 4 into 1 with a 3-1/2" merge. Primaries still at 21".

Just like to know what everyone else has done.

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 02/23/15 11:39 PM

I had several sets of Inconel headers that I cut up to make work since the stock headers don't have enough drop for us. I tried to make each tube as close to same length as possible.
Posted By: IROC78

Re: THE R5 P7 THREAD FOR EVERYONE - 12/22/18 03:44 AM

Hi, I noticed this thread is several years old but figured I would try posting here before starting a new one. Much like Outlaw565 I was wondering what most guys out there were doing for headers. I read on another R5 thread that 2" W2 headers could work with some "tweaking" but wasn't sure if that was true or if anyone else has come up with a good solution for headers. The NASCAR headers I have are a 1 7/8" to 2" step just like the ones Outlaw 565 mentioned but obviously come nowhere close to fitting in my 71 Dart. If possible I would like to do something that doesn't involve cutting the fender wells. I certainly wouldn't mind altering a set of W2 headers but want to make sure it would be a good route to go before I spend the money and buy them. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help,
© 2024 Moparts Forums