Moparts

When to change out break in oil?

Posted By: DusterDave

When to change out break in oil? - 01/22/15 05:45 PM

My new smallblock stroker has 8 dyno pulls and about 20 minutes of other run time. Haven't driven it yet. When should I replace the break in oil? I can't ask the builder because he's no longer with us.
Posted By: PorkyPig

Re: When to change out break in oil? - 01/22/15 06:08 PM

IMO, now. It has done it's job.

Get the break-in stuff out of it and change to what ever oil you plan to use for running it hard.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: When to change out break in oil? - 01/22/15 06:26 PM

now
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: When to change out break in oil? - 01/22/15 07:07 PM

Quote:

My new smallblock stroker has 8 dyno pulls and about 20 minutes of other run time. Haven't driven it yet. When should I replace the break in oil? I can't ask the builder because he's no longer with us.

I use the break in oil on the dyno to break in the cam and then make two or three mild pulls(2500 to 5500 RPM) and drain the oil and change the oil filter (I cut the oil filter open at the dyno and inspect it, if it looks normal, new motors make some metal, not a lot though ) and if everything looks good I continue to whup up(tune ) on the motor on the dyno the get max power and torque from it
Posted By: ProSport

Re: When to change out break in oil? - 01/22/15 07:27 PM

Dave I drove mine once before changing but I use the Lucas #10063-1 which can be used at every oil change if you want. I put a half bottle in at the oil change. It has the needed zinc.
© 2024 Moparts Forums