Moparts

Best Timing Chain

Posted By: joshking440

Best Timing Chain - 01/09/09 04:01 AM

Who makes the strongest timing chain? I know there are a few billet pieces, does anyone on moparts make them?
Posted By: aarcuda

Re: Best Timing Chain - 01/09/09 01:36 PM

i returned the billet Summit brand with the 6 or 9 keyways cause it was was too loose. i end up using a cloyes I had in my parts box

Attached picture 4934745-100_5677sm.jpg
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Best Timing Chain - 01/09/09 02:01 PM

I'd have to say Cloyes are one of the better chain sets
Posted By: BradH

Re: Best Timing Chain - 01/09/09 02:17 PM

I like the Pro-Gear brand that Hughes Engines sells. (Ya' hear that, Kevin? ) They're available in both standard dimension and .005"-shorter sets.

I had to use the .005"-shorter to take up the chain slack w/ my block because it had been align-bored when fitted for aftermarket caps.
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: Best Timing Chain - 01/09/09 02:44 PM

I'd prefer the manufacturer had left the multiple
keyways in the crank gear though.

Attached picture 4934862-DSCN2089.JPG
Posted By: Hughes

Re: Best Timing Chain - 01/09/09 08:44 PM

The Pro-Gears are the only brand we use or sell in our shop. I won't do a sales pitch here for them but we have never found a chain and gear set that held up better. If you want more details on them call us or check out our website. I have oval track guys running them 4 and 5 seasons and telling me they are as tight as the day they put them on.
p.s. Brad, Thanks for the plug!
Kevin @ Hughes

Attached picture 4935615-TheHughesLogofourth.jpg
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Best Timing Chain - 01/09/09 09:39 PM

I also almost exclusively ( use some Cloyes Hex Adjust too) use the Pro Gear. Quality pieces and good people to deal with. Highly recommend them as well.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Best Timing Chain - 01/09/09 09:42 PM

Quote:

I also almost exclusively ( use some Cloyes Hex Adjust too) use the Pro Gear. Quality pieces and good people to deal with. Highly recommend them as well.

Then why is it I've emailed the Tech dept & left voice messages (Mike)& haven't been able to get any response???
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Best Timing Chain - 01/09/09 10:04 PM

Pro Gear is the nicest I've seen. I had a Cloyes Hexadjust in my hemi for the first 2 years...when I tore it down for freshen up, the center links were breaking on the chain. Cloyes no longer uses an American made chain on their timing sets, some offshore crap that doesn't hold up. CHIP
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Best Timing Chain - 01/09/09 10:15 PM

I obviously cant answer that. I deal directly with the owner and I can guarantee you I can get whatever answer you need.

I am sure Kevin or Dave can as well.

How can I help?
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Best Timing Chain - 01/09/09 10:21 PM

I had good luck with the Summit brand. I had the engine tore down after about 50 runs, messing with the cam, and the chain was still tight. It was made by D.I.D. I believe a Japan based company which does make high quality chains..I have had experience with these in my dirt bike days..they always was good products, and took a beating.
Posted By: gch

Re: Best Timing Chain - 01/10/09 02:22 AM

I have had good service from the rollmaster billet chain I purchased from Hensley years ago.Still in service to this day.I believe they are(were)made in Australia.
Posted By: 572B1

Re: Best Timing Chain - 01/10/09 03:40 AM

Quote:

I have had good service from the rollmaster billet chain I purchased from Hensley years ago.Still in service to this day.I believe they are(were)made in Australia.

They still are made over here,Rollmaster race proven for over twenty years. Best in the business.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Best Timing Chain - 01/10/09 04:21 AM

Rollmaster here too.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Best Timing Chain - 01/10/09 04:42 AM

I have the 440 source billit with torrington thrust washer and the optional rolon chain and it fits really well. No miles on it so far.
Not sure where the source gets these from, but the billit Cloyes is not much more expensive?

The 360 LA emgine has the standard Cloyes timming set, but I added the magnum chain tensioner to pick up any slack.
Posted By: 572B1

Re: Best Timing Chain - 01/10/09 04:57 AM

Quote:

I have the 440 source billit with torrington thrust washer and the optional rolon chain and it fits really well. No miles on it so far.
Not sure where the source gets these from, but the billit Cloyes is not much more expensive?

The 360 LA emgine has the standard Cloyes timming set, but I added the magnum chain tensioner to pick up any slack.

Rolon is a poor quality chain. Rollmaster premium sets come with Iwis chain from Germany.The cheaper timing sets for std motors come with rolon chains. Rollmaster tested numerous chains and found Iwis in germany to make the best quality chains.I guess he got it right as Crane cams in the usa market rollmaster as there own brand.
Posted By: 68Cbarge

Re: Best Timing Chain - 01/10/09 04:59 AM

Cloyes in both C's here.
With over two tons o fun,and a heavy foot,it is my preference.
Posted By: Wicked49670dart

Re: Best Timing Chain - 01/10/09 05:55 AM

I have used the Pro-Gear chain from Hughes also along with all their valve train parts. Thanks Kevin and Dave...Matt

Re: Best Timing Chain - 01/10/09 04:01 PM

is there a limit on horsepower when using one of these?

Re: Best Timing Chain - 01/10/09 09:18 PM

Posted By: RyanJ

Re: Best Timing Chain - 01/10/09 09:31 PM

I run a Liberty 9 keyway billet on everything that I use a chain on. It's a Rollmaster without the logo.

For a SB.... Liberty & a Melling timing tensioner.... hard to beat for the cost.

Re: Best Timing Chain - 01/11/09 06:44 PM

Do you have to order the Roll Master from Australia or is there a good place to get one here???
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Best Timing Chain - 01/11/09 07:51 PM

Quote:

Do you have to order the Roll Master from Australia or is there a good place to get one here???

Not only is there no local retailer for Rollmaster, They won't ship it...You've got to fly in & pick it up in person....

Look at the bright side Aussie Women & Beer!!

Seriously though
http://www.romac.com.au/US_distributors.html

Re: Best Timing Chain - 01/12/09 01:02 AM

THANKS!!!!

Honestly I was looking for a reason to fly in though
© 2024 Moparts Forums