Moparts

Need help troubleshooting MSD ignition *Problem solved*

Posted By: DusterDave

Need help troubleshooting MSD ignition *Problem solved* - 01/17/15 10:58 PM

I installed an MSD Digital 6AL and an MSD Pro Billet distributor in my stroker 318/390 Jeep project, and I don't have spark at the plugs. I'm posting this here, because its a performance type ignition system. I did the test recommended by MSD, where you touch the green and violet wires with a paper clip, and I got spark out of the coil. Problem is, I don't get any spark at the plugs when turning the engine over. I've checked and rechecked all my wiring. All my power and ground wires were checked with a multimeter. I even went and bought another box, just to rule that out!!
I've run out of things to check, and I'm pretty aggravated at this point. Any advice is welcome.
Posted By: grncpe

Re: Need help troubleshooting MSD ignition - 01/17/15 11:04 PM

Did you adjust the setting for an 8 cylinder motor? also another thing to check is did you cut the wire as per instructions? I don't remember off the top of my head what color it is but it will be a small looped wire.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Need help troubleshooting MSD ignition - 01/17/15 11:11 PM

Did you jump the crank and run wires out of the ignition
switch so its hot all the time the key is on.. and
did you eliminate the ballast
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Need help troubleshooting MSD ignition - 01/17/15 11:16 PM

What dist? If it is a new MP unit, check the pick up air gap. If not, check it anyway. DAMHIK.

Kevin
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Need help troubleshooting MSD ignition - 01/17/15 11:17 PM

Quote:

What dist? If it is a new MP unit, check the pick up air gap. If not, check it anyway. DAMHIK.

Kevin

Says its a MSD dist
EDIT
But jumping the wires like he did is just by-passing
the dist pick up.. so the pick up can still be bad
Posted By: RMCHRGR

Re: Need help troubleshooting MSD ignition - 01/17/15 11:24 PM

Have you tried tried switching the polarity of the pickup wires?

I ran into a similar problem last year. I did all the same checks and rechecks you did, no dice.

Posted the problem here and Bob George said to try that. I didn't really even understand what he was referring to at first but then I went back and re-read it. I went out and tried it and voila! Car started right up.

MSD actually makes a note of it in the instructions.
Posted By: second 70

Re: Need help troubleshooting MSD ignition - 01/18/15 12:00 AM

Quote:

I installed an MSD Digital 6AL and an MSD Pro Billet distributor in my stroker 318/390 Jeep project, and I don't have spark at the plugs. I'm posting this here, because its a performance type ignition system. I did the test recommended by MSD, where you touch the green and violet wires with a paper clip, and I got spark out of the coil. Problem is, I don't get any spark at the plugs when turning the engine over. I've checked and rechecked all my wiring. All my power and ground wires were checked with a multimeter. I even went and bought another box, just to rule that out!!
I've run out of things to check, and I'm pretty aggravated at this point. Any advice is welcome.

As Mr. P said You have to tie the starter wire and ignition wire together. If you check you will find the ignition wire is hot when the key is in run position and not the start position.
Posted By: urdustd

Re: Need help troubleshooting MSD ignition - 01/18/15 02:40 AM

Not to be a smarta$$ but did you put the rotor on? Don't ask me how I know!
Posted By: a493demon

Re: Need help troubleshooting MSD ignition - 01/18/15 02:43 AM

lol i was going to say the same thing .
Posted By: Bill MeLater

Re: Need help troubleshooting MSD ignition - 01/18/15 02:44 AM

Have you tried selling it and buying a system that works?
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: Need help troubleshooting MSD ignition - 01/18/15 06:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

As Mr. P said You have to tie the starter wire and ignition wire together. If you check you will find the ignition wire is hot when the key is in run position and not the start position.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! One of the wires for ignition 12v was on the wrong terminal on the ignition switch! Problem corrected and she's running now! Thanks to all who offered advice!
© 2024 Moparts Forums