Moparts

Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ?

Posted By: 3ddart

Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/08/15 04:08 PM

Does anyone have feedback on the Viking double adjustable rear shocks? I'm looking for input and experiences with them. Thanks in advance, dave
Posted By: 1320Dart

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/08/15 06:10 PM

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=1#Post8387396

Look at this post. They talk about them in it.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/08/15 07:54 PM

Thanks, I see that was early summer, so any more reports?
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/08/15 08:22 PM

Quote:

Thanks, I see that was early summer, so any more reports?

That was 2 days ago.

I'll be getting a set soon for my cuda. Everything I've read online about them from other forums seems to be pretty good.
Posted By: 1980volare

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/08/15 11:06 PM

I like mine alot,they give me a lot of adjustability on the street.
Posted By: Dyno1

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/08/15 11:38 PM

Same as a QA1, assembled 6 blocks apart. Not a race shock, but a good street shock.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/08/15 11:44 PM

Quote:

Same as a QA1, assembled 6 blocks apart. Not a race shock, but a good street shock.

I dont know why you dont like the QA-1s... I have a
OLD set of QA-1s that have 12 adjustments.. they work
very well on my ride
EDIT
I run a 1.19 60'... now I need more power
Posted By: mshred

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/09/15 12:10 AM

Quote:

Definitely NOT the same...They used to work for QA1, shocks resemble a QA1, but I know personally people who have used QA1 and they are junk, these not so much...and when I say QA1 junk, I mean right out of the box junk. I would give these guys a little more credit since they left QA1 to build a better shock, not the exact same one.

A buddy runs them on his mustang, so far they work awesome. I also run a set, but I am not running their standard D/A...It uses a design that allows for a lot more tunability with valving (similar to Santhuff in style, but obviously not the same). It wasn't much extra per shock, so I opted for it...I only have one outing on them so far and a bunch of street miles, and can't complain.

There are LOTS of people cutting 1.1x and 1.2x 60's on them, even with radials, so they must work half decent

Just my

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/09/15 12:24 AM

Duh, your right chip, I thought I saw June 6th! He'll getting OLD! Any1 else?
Posted By: all spooled up

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/09/15 04:10 AM

what are thay going on the hemi dart or the valiant

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/09/15 04:46 AM

Ha, the valiant, just trying to get it consistent again. I messed with the ranchos and had to adjust down to 2 to get it to work at mag. and what I'm reading on the bullet site mopars like different compression and extension settings. Before loosening them up I was inconsistent down track even at norwalk.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/09/15 05:14 AM

When you have a pair of QA1's or a shock like the Viking, they may work OK for you. If you need them worked on or serviced, throw them away and buy another set, the cost will be greater than what they are worth. If you have a quality shock like a Afco, Penske or JRI, you are getting what you pay for and if service or adjustment is needed, there are places where they can be serviced.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/09/15 06:02 PM

^^^^^^ someone knows what they are talking about^^^^^^^^
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/09/15 06:27 PM

Quote:

I call BS. one mans junk is another mans treasure. as soon as I posted I bought shocks, I got offers to buy my old one's. Now, lets say I pay twice as much for a shock and then it needs to be "serviced". How much will I have invested in a pair of shocks. If I listened to everyone on why there stuff was worth 2 times or more, I would never have a running car. My car can be picked to death on this issue, from my $15 electric fans, Chinese crank, ebay AN fittings, knock off intake, cheap radiator, edelbrock carbs, my home made front steering and k frame, it never ends. My car is junk and I like it that way

thank god I never fell for the "you get what you pay for" from Barry Grant or crappy MSD distributers

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/09/15 06:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I call BS. one mans junk is another mans treasure. as soon as I posted I bought shocks, I got offers to buy my old one's. Now, lets say I pay twice as much for a shock and then it needs to be "serviced". How much will I have invested in a pair of shocks. If I listened to everyone on why there stuff was worth 2 times or more, I would never have a running car. My car can be picked to death on this issue, from my $15 electric fans, Chinese crank, ebay AN fittings, knock off intake, cheap radiator, edelbrock carbs, my home made front steering and k frame, it never ends. My car is junk and I like it that way

thank god I never fell for the "you get what you pay for" from Barry Grant or crappy MSD distributers

That's why Baskin Robbins has so many favors of ice cream.

Purchased Afco da first then had them custom serviced and wow what a difference. But I like chocolate and you might not.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/09/15 06:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Purchased Afco da first then had them custom serviced and wow what a difference. But I like chocolate and you might not.

is it possible that they suck from the get go? I know nothing about shocks other than I just spent the most money I ever have on the Vikings and I am pleased with them. It would take someone like you to try them and give their feedback on the product
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/09/15 06:48 PM

Send em to me I`ll test em.............

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/09/15 06:53 PM

Quote:

oh stop, your a carb guru.
Posted By: Dave_S

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/09/15 06:53 PM

Viking shocks are fully rebuildable, according to their website.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/09/15 07:20 PM

Yupp! Every 10 second bracket car should spend a couple of grand on shocks!
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/09/15 07:26 PM

Quote:

Yupp! Every 10 second bracket car should spend a couple of grand on shocks!

Well at least a grand...

I REALLY thought hard about NOT putting DA front shocks on my Road Runner, but after Monte's shock post, I will just go DA Afco's all the way around. YES there are better shocks, but I have to keep somewhat of a budget, yet get the best I can afford.

Jeff-

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/09/15 07:36 PM

Jeff...Remember what you told me years ago?
It is real easy to spend someone else's money on here. That has always stuck into the back of what is left of my mind!

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/09/15 07:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

oh stop, your a carb guru.

Nowhere near YET.................
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/09/15 10:32 PM

Quote:

Viking shocks are fully rebuildable, according to their website.

The man told me rebuild was $100 in a worst cast scenario.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/09/15 10:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

is it possible that they suck from the get go? I know nothing about shocks other than I just spent the most money I ever have on the Vikings and I am pleased with them. It would take someone like you to try them and give their feedback on the product

I went from rancho and calverts to afco's, it took me a while to save the loot to do them but I wanted a really good shock. The first go round didn't work so well and I didn't see a improvement until I got the rears redone by Mark Menscer. So I don't think factory settings in a Viking would work for me either, but I don't know for sure. I have learned a lot from Mark on shocks and I might have been able to get the factory afco's to work so who knows.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/10/15 12:11 AM

That is why I asked for the feedback, things have changed In my life and I'm trying to determine what I "need". Some quick background: I started racing a lot in the late 90s and got caught up in it to where I raced week in week out chasing points through 2009 when I had some health issues and was forced to step away a bit. I never had a fast car (11.5 to 10.9) but it was very consistent and I managed to squeeze out 3 championships and runner up in a 4th and that was with super stocks and a pinion snubber and c/e 3way shocks. The car may have slowed or went faster but it was consistent enough to feel confident in the dail-in. The major changes during that time was motor issues (installed a back-up motor that didn't make as much power) which caused me to slow down a bit. I ended up pulling the ss springs I used during that time to straighten out another car I owned, installed a new set of ss springs and ranchos and wasn't able to regain that consistency. Last yr I installed cal tracs with the ranchos and by yrs end the car seemed to be somewhat consistent again. The problem now is I find it harder to race as much but I'm competetive enough that I go figuring I have as much chance to win as anybody there and can't talk myself into going just to be there. the last 2 yrs I only got out about 6 times each yr so I need to be proactive in changes (spent monies) I make to the car as I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to race. Anyway that's the basis for the ?. Sure wish I had that old set of ss springs and that snubber on the car still lol!

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/10/15 12:55 AM

Who is going to rebuild them for $100.00? They might put a new seal in and change the oil but that would be it. To service and dyno a shock to your specific needs, it takes time and experience. Like I said, they might be just what you need, and work perfect for you. Good luck.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/10/15 07:01 AM

I also went with 4 Vi-kings,and upgraded the rears to the more aggressive valving.Now that I got the carbs close I can start tuning the shocks. I also never tried mor pre-load on the Cal-tracs.

Attached picture 8391134-7.27.14001.jpg

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/10/15 07:58 AM

Quote:

When you have a pair of QA1's or a shock like the Viking, they may work OK for you. If you need them worked on or serviced, throw them away and buy another set, the cost will be greater than what they are worth. If you have a quality shock like a Afco, Penske or JRI, you are getting what you pay for and if service or adjustment is needed, there are places where they can be serviced.

Do you just make this information up, or did you actually get it from Viking? Viking is NOT QA1- thats a fact. Maybe if you called them, asked them about the different shocks they sell, the difference between their rebuildable ones and non rebuildable ones, and the price to rebuild, you wouldn't be touting false information about them.

I am all for buying the best shock for your money, and agree it is one of the best things one can do for a racecar...Before cutting a company down as a copycat, maybe actually talking to them about the products they offer is a good idea since their rebuildable race shock is NOT their shelf shock that they advertise and sell.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/10/15 07:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Do you just make this information up, or did you actually get it from Viking? Viking is NOT QA1- thats a fact. Maybe if you called them, asked them about the different shocks they sell, the difference between their rebuildable ones and non rebuildable ones, and the price to rebuild, you wouldn't be touting false information about them.

I am all for buying the best shock for your money, and agree it is one of the best things one can do for a racecar...Before cutting a company down as a copycat, maybe actually talking to them about the products they offer is a good idea since their rebuildable race shock is NOT their shelf shock that they advertise and sell.

You do realize he does shocks for a living?

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/10/15 11:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You do realize he does shocks for a living?

Great, doesnt change what I said though...Unless Viking was totally b.s'ing me on the phone when I ordered my rear shocks that have their new design made specifically for re-valving, then I stand by what I said.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/10/15 11:48 PM

I could give you all the dirt on QA1 and Viking, but it is not necessary. The owner of Viking was the CEO of QA1 until he was released. He then opened up Viking 6 blocks from QA1. He had all the blueprints and contacts to go from one to the other, not saying that is bad. Many business people have sold out or started a similar business later on and do just fine. You make up your own mind. I am just saying you get what you pay for and either shock may be fine for what you are doing, but I would avoid them and buy a real shock designed for racing and that is really rebuildable and is worth your hard earned money. Not arguing with anyone.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/11/15 12:02 AM

Mr Dyno, I'm curious; When I bought my front shocks, I wanted Afco, but the "cheapest" I could find at the time was $700 for a pair. My question is: What is the lowest "I'll sell them every day of the year for that price" price that can be found on a set of Afcos. Granted, the Vikings will probably work for me, but if I ran low 9's instead of 10.90's I probably would have held out for the Afcos.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/11/15 12:10 AM

Quote:

I could give you all the dirt on QA1 and Viking, but it is not necessary. The owner of Viking was the CEO of QA1 until he was released. He then opened up Viking 6 blocks from QA1. He had all the blueprints and contacts to go from one to the other, not saying that is bad. Many business people have sold out or started a similar business later on and do just fine. You make up your own mind. I am just saying you get what you pay for and either shock may be fine for what you are doing, but I would avoid them and buy a real shock designed for racing and that is really rebuildable and is worth your hard earned money. Not arguing with anyone.

Then I got con'd into their option for the re-valvable race shock if what they told me is a lie....Thought I would try out the "little guy" instead of Afco (not that there is anything wrong with Afco, couple of friends run them and love them), but it seems that is not the case...so far they are working good for me, hopefully that continues

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/11/15 06:57 AM

All shocks operate in a window of rebound and compression. If a shock you buy works in the window of what you need, you are good to go. The problem is that many cars need something outside that window, that is when a different shock is needed or it needs to be revalved. The more you get into it, the more complex it becomes. There are people out there that can help a racer if needed. Many NHRA racers and chassis builders(stock to Pro Mod)have been going to Randy at Fastshocks. 612-306-5387. Give him a call for advice or a quote. I would recommend all racers to go through the staging lanes at a NHRA, IHRA, NMRA, and ask what racers are using and if they are happy with how the car is working. Not everyone needs the more expensive shocks, but again, you get what you pay for. If you have not serviced your shocks, now is the time to inspect them for leaks and get the oil changed and make sure they are still working correctly, you can not believe how black and stinky old shock oil can be.
Posted By: Sweigart1022

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/11/15 04:38 PM

I agree with you Dyno1. There is a window that the adjustment of the shock needs to work in. What makes the Penske Shock more expensive is our quality control, trackside support, and custom built for each individual person / cars needs. The shocks that you guys are all talking about could work. I have seen many guys get shocks from the auto parts store to work. Then there is the instant where you start going to other tracks and you need to be able to adjust. Not to mention and we have all done it where you make a mid season car adjustment. Then your chasing your set up. Our adjustment window is huge. I will never bash another brands shocks because they do work for some people. Our product works from my cal track 10.20 car all the way up to every pro stock car in the field.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/11/15 05:29 PM

Agreed. A suspension package is no different than an engine combination. All the parts have to compliment each other.
Posted By: Adrielp

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/12/15 07:10 AM

Has anybody purchase any custom Vikings from a shop like Chris Bell or similar? I wonder how they work after being massaged for your specific combo.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/12/15 05:21 PM

My roomate`s sister is married to Wayne who was hired at a six-digit figure to START at Fox Shocks Racing and told me personally to get him a Strange Q-A 1 or whatever(OK)shock and that he would re-valve em for me for $200. He knows Mercer and the other "Guru`s" on shocks and has nothing to say either way so that`s my route............

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/12/15 05:43 PM

Quote:

My roomate`s sister is married to Wayne who was hired at a six-digit figure to START at Fox Shocks Racing and told me personally to get him a Strange Q-A 1 or whatever(OK)shock and that he would re-valve em for me for $200. He knows Mercer and the other "Guru`s" on shocks and has nothing to say either way so that`s my route............

That is great but does he know what valving a caltrac leaf spring small tire car needs?

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/12/15 06:05 PM

He`s done some drag racing stuff but as many on here stated, the shocks job is to CONTROL the housing and after seeing video or real time leaves of my car he`s positive they will be WAY better than my 5-way Ranchos............we`ll see.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/12/15 06:14 PM

Quote:

He`s done some drag racing stuff but as many on here stated, the shocks job is to CONTROL the housing and after seeing video or real time leaves of my car he`s positive they will be WAY better than my 5-way Ranchos............we`ll see.

Since he is in the shock game.. he should have a
decent idea after seeing vid... and also knowing the
torque and gear ratios.. and I would say he has access
to a shock dyno

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/12/15 06:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Since he is in the shock game.. he should have a
decent idea after seeing vid... and also knowing the
torque and gear ratios.. and I would say he has access
to a shock dyno

They pay Wayne LOTS of money to go to off-road races all over the world and see first had what`s needed to better these vehicles and the same for drag cars just less of em. Met him and he`s a sharp dude w/LOTS of skills and I`m going over every inch of my car for my best and fastest pass yet then it`s time to either step up and cert/cage or chill and street race for more $$$$$$..............
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/12/15 07:04 PM

This is why I called Santhuff directly. They asked for all my info and built the shock I needed.no middleman and no problems.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/12/15 07:13 PM

Quote:

This is why I called Santhuff directly. They asked for all my info and built the shock I needed.no middleman and no problems.

The only issue I have with them is price.. I know I
cant/wont pay 3 times the price of a decent shock..
what does a set run.. $3000 or something..but thats just me

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/12/15 07:18 PM

I understand that and at this time that kind of coin isn`t available for shocks and what he`s saying is find a used pair cheap enuff and he`ll valve em for my car.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/27/15 02:21 AM

FWI, over my friends house and he just got a brand new pair of afcos. I started playing with them and from 0 to 24 on either C or R there is hardly any difference. On full stiff i can still pull or push the shock. I cant do that with the vikings.

This made me feel better about my choice on buying the Vikings. I told my friend that IMO, I would rather my SA QA1's over his afcos. He said the reason he bought the afcos over the Vikings for his G body is because the afcos were cheaper. Maybe you do get what you pay for, in this case

Attached picture 8408923-0126151851.jpg
Posted By: D-50

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/27/15 02:26 AM

That is good info sixpackgut I will probably buy me a set of the front shocks.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/27/15 04:39 AM

I know this is apples to oranges but here goes. I have a friend that travels a lot setting up dirt cars for some very fast guys. He also sells a bunch of stuff for them. He and I were talking about my car and he tells me he can get just about any shock I want so I asked about Afco's, he told me to stay away from them that they were junk. Like I said apples to oranges so take this with a pound of salt. When I buy shocks most likely it will be Strange unless there are some really good results from the Vikings.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/27/15 09:21 AM

To put it very basically, shocks are 4 way adjustable. You have high and low speed damping on both compression and extension. The type suspension you have, the power level and how the car reacts, determine how the shock needs to be valved. Some cars need more early high speed damping on extension and some need more early low speed damping. Same goes for compression. This is where the "shock guy" should be able to help you. This is why no "off the shelf" shock is best for every car. With cheaper shocks, a lot of times the "upgrade" shock is simply stiffer valving but with really no change to high and low speed circuits...............Better shocks just cost more money and that's how it is. That is the reason my standard reply is buy the best shock you can afford

Monte

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/27/15 04:19 PM

Quote:

FWI, over my friends house and he just got a brand new pair of afcos. I started playing with them and from 0 to 24 on either C or R there is hardly any difference. On full stiff i can still pull or push the shock. I cant do that with the vikings.

This made me feel better about my choice on buying the Vikings. I told my friend that IMO, I would rather my SA QA1's over his afcos. He said the reason he bought the afcos over the Vikings for his G body is because the afcos were cheaper. Maybe you do get what you pay for, in this case

Then there is some thing wrong with his shocks. My front shocks are out of the box from afco and are not like that. He needs to send them to a shock guy or if they are new back to afco.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/27/15 04:49 PM

Some shocks need to be "charged"........meaning you have to do a certain thing when they are new, such as put them on a certain setting and pump them a few times. This guy needs to look as his instructions

Monte

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/27/15 05:05 PM

Quote:

Some shocks need to be "charged"........meaning you have to do a certain thing when they are new, such as put them on a certain setting and pump them a few times. This guy needs to look as his instructions

Monte

I will let him know

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/27/15 05:30 PM

Quote:

Monte

THIS...........Every shock I`ve ever installed needs to be cycled several times especially since they`re shipped laying down then you`ll start feelin em tighten up but don`t lay em back down again or you start over.......

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/27/15 06:49 PM

Quote:

Monte

hey bought them thru Jegs, no instructions came with them. That is unbelievable to me. I am going to call afco for him later

well, I talked to tech, Nice guy. He gave me the "you can't compare what you do with your hands to what is going on with a car speech" that I already knew was coming.

Disclaimer: I may be dumb but I sure am slow. I like my Vikings better
Posted By: deaks

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/28/15 02:11 AM

With 9 way ranchos my best 60ft was 1.43, same setup with afco doubles best 60ft 1.36.
Mick

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/28/15 02:29 AM

Deaks were you spinning when you got the best 60ft with the rancho shocks. The reason I ask is I am running the Rancho 9 way rear shocks also and thinking about trying double adjustable shocks. My best so far with the Rancho's has been 1.33.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/28/15 04:00 AM

My 3260# pump gas small block street/strip Dart has been 1.41 in full street trim and 1.38 without the exhaust and air filter with Rancho 9 ways. Not saying they are good shocks, but the work ok on some cars.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/28/15 04:53 AM

So Im making my friend crazy over these afco shocks he bought. He called TRZ which makes G Body chassis stuff I guess and they told him exactly what I said they would say which made him even more mad. TRZ said the afco shocks they sell are valved to their specs and he bought his from jegs

I have him mental right now
Posted By: slammedR/T

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/28/15 05:23 AM

Quote:

well how we contact him to set up some shock re-valving

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/28/15 05:42 AM

A shock in your hand is NOT how the shock works when it is on the car. Your friend with the Afcos is miles ahead of your ViKings.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/28/15 06:21 AM

I had the same issue when I tried to compress my QA1's by hand and the both felt different. The fellow on the tech line reminded me that the inertia of the car is much more than my manly arms.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/28/15 06:29 AM

Quote:

A shock in your hand is NOT how the shock works when it is on the car. Your friend with the Afcos is miles ahead of your ViKings.

Lol, ok.

Let me tell you whats comical. The instructions on the afcos say to fine tune, turn 2 clicks. I started laughing. Why not just have 12 settings. No really, i believe you, is it really miles or just bus lenghts
Posted By: BradH

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/28/15 03:30 PM

I'm sure from a damping design, the older 5-way Ranchos I have on my Challenger are comparatively stone-age vs. any of the higher-end DA shocks with which I could replace them. On my street junk, they were going 1.45-1.46 pretty consistently on a 275/60R15 ET Street Radial w/ CalTracs & monos.

Makes me wonder how much there's left in the same basic chassis setup w/ only a shock change, but I can't pull Santhuff $$$ outta my a$$, or probably even a set of custom AFCOs, unfortunately. That leaves something like a ViKing, which seems to be getting mixed reviews, depending on the application and the person posting feedback.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/28/15 05:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

well how we contact him to set up some shock re-valving

This is a deal for me from him but who`s to say he won`t step up to the drag racing crowd.............

MAYBE someday soon I can hit the track but for now it`s all about the carbs and they keep comin...........

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/28/15 06:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Lol, ok.

Let me tell you whats comical. The instructions on the afcos say to fine tune, turn 2 clicks. I started laughing. Why not just have 12 settings. No really, i believe you, is it really miles or just bus lenghts

Many clicks, just mean the shocks have VERY fine adjustment. To explain how sensitive GOOD shocks can be here is an example. We have Santhuffs on the front of the Buick. They have an adjustment "window" similar to some rear shocks, that you stick a small pin in to move it. You move it a full window, which is a "sweep" on the shock. That's a TON. If I look at the shock graph and it is stretching the shock at .6 out. That's too soon for me. I shoot for 1-1.2 out to stretch the shock. So to slow the shock stretch from .6 to 1.2 requires I move the adjustment about 1/4 of a sweep. Meaning I barely even move it.

We have Menscer revalved Afcos on the rear. Two clicks on the shock body or the charge canister either one, can be a BIG change.

As far as your buddies shocks from Jegs. Yes, they will just be a standard valving shock. The shocks from TRZ would have been valved for a small tire, stock suspension car, because THAT is what TRZ does mostly.

Even our front Santhuffs are not "standard" shocks, I have the Pro-Mod valving, because I need VERY precise front rise control

And you may like how those Vikings "feel" in your hand.......but trust me, your CAR would like how the Afcos "feel" better.........LOL!!

Monte

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/28/15 06:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Lol, ok.

Many clicks, just mean the shocks have VERY fine adjustment. To explain how sensitive GOOD shocks can be here is an example. We have Santhuffs on the front of the Buick. They have an adjustment "window" similar to some rear shocks, that you stick a small pin in to move it. You move it a full window, which is a "sweep" on the shock. That's a TON. If I look at the shock graph and it is stretching the shock at .6 out. That's too soon for me. I shoot for 1-1.2 out to stretch the shock. So to slow the shock stretch from .6 to 1.2 requires I move the adjustment about 1/4 of a sweep. Meaning I barely even move it.

We have Menscer revalved Afcos on the rear. Two clicks on the shock body or the charge canister either one, can be a BIG change.

As far as your buddies shocks from Jegs. Yes, they will just be a standard valving shock. The shocks from TRZ would have been valved for a small tire, stock suspension car, because THAT is what TRZ does mostly.

Even our front Santhuffs are not "standard" shocks, I have the Pro-Mod valving, because I need VERY precise front rise control

And you may like how those Vikings "feel" in your hand.......but trust me, your CAR would like how the Afcos "feel" better.........LOL!!

Monte

I grab the concept of what your saying, but if all the afco shocks "feel" the way those do, then no way do they pass the Monte test. Just because you have blue bodied shocks on your car right now, does not mean afco gets to take the credit for the way they work. A shock specialist does.How is Mark Mencer<sp? going to make a dollar if he wanted to revalve a santhuff shock. Who is going to spend $1300 per shock. No different than buying a plate/fogger kit from NOS or a plate/fogger kit from Monte Smith with jet setups.....LOL. does NOS get to take credit for that? if so, you need to stop printing shirts for the street outlaw guys

Monte, I read every post you make. I can quote you on how you weren't impressed with afco shocks from this very website if you like. For what my car does and does very slowly, the Viking shocks seem like a great buy. We don't all have $200,000 cars on here
Posted By: deaks

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/28/15 08:03 PM

Quote:

Deaks were you spinning when you got the best 60ft with the rancho shocks. The reason I ask is I am running the Rancho 9 way rear shocks also and thinking about trying double adjustable shocks. My best so far with the Rancho's has been 1.33.

Sorry i just got back to this, i'm not sure but it definitely didn't spin off the line, it was lifting the wheels around 6 to 8 " and carrying them out about 15-20ft. Your car 60fts good on the ranchos do you use caltracs ?
Mick

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/28/15 08:18 PM

Quote:

My 3260# pump gas small block street/strip Dart has been 1.41 in full street trim and 1.38 without the exhaust and air filter with Rancho 9 ways. Not saying they are good shocks, but the work ok on some cars.

Been back-to-back 1.36`s and 6.22`s in the 8th at 3200 lbs. w/old 5-ways..........
Posted By: Airwoofer

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/28/15 08:57 PM

If these drag shocks are anything like dirt bike shocks, there is a whole lot that goes into the valving besides the adjustments which in them just bypasses the valve discs. The disc stack is where the magic is, and OBTW, those guys rebuild their shocks pretty often. Those valves wear and take a shape.

Are these any good? Recommended by the guy who built my Demon, Todd Bevis. BTW, that car will be getting new shocks on all 4 corners when I get it back together and running.

http://www.jrishocks.com/product-category/DRAG/

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/28/15 09:04 PM

Quote:

If these drag shocks are anything like dirt bike shocks, there is a whole lot that goes into the valving besides the adjustments which in them just bypasses the valve discs...

Yep, this is the sort of valving I was used to working on w/ motocross bikes. High-speed / low-speed stacks, tuning the crossover point, etc. When I mentioned how I expected my current Ranchos were stone-age technology, this is what I had in mind for comparison.

Attached picture 8410965-GoldValves.jpg

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/28/15 09:51 PM

I'm getting ready to make shock purchase myself and want to put some double adjustable shocks up front on our Plymouth Duster. Our plan is to purchase some shocks from one of the shock builders(Mans, Menscer, Bell, etc) so they are valved exactly for our application. The great thing is that they will know the limitations of each shock design and can tell me just how good one is compared to the other once revalved. Right now, I'm leaning towards getting strange double adjustable's for the front but we will see once I get some feedback. This will give me enough information to make an educated purchase I think.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/28/15 10:44 PM

Quote:

I'm getting ready to make shock purchase myself and want to put some double adjustable shocks up front on our Plymouth Duster. Our plan is to purchase some shocks from one of the shock builders(Mans, Menscer, Bell, etc) so they are valved exactly for our application. The great thing is that they will know the limitations of each shock design and can tell me just how good one is compared to the other once revalved. Right now, I'm leaning towards getting strange double adjustable's for the front but we will see once I get some feedback. This will give me enough information to make an educated purchase I think.

Menscer is the man. if I had the money and if I had a real race car, that is where I would spend it.
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/28/15 10:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry i just got back to this, i'm not sure but it definitely didn't spin off the line, it was lifting the wheels around 6 to 8 " and carrying them out about 15-20ft. Your car 60fts good on the ranchos do you use caltracs ?
Mick

So even though your car was picking up the wheels and carrying them, you were able to improve your 60ft with the shock change?

Mark

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/28/15 10:58 PM

Quote:

... if I had the money and if I had a real race car...

I think I just found the perfect inscription for my tombstone.

Or maybe a tatto for my a$$, so I get to use it sooner... especially if I'm cremated and there's nothing left to bury.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/28/15 10:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Menscer is the man. if I had the money and if I had a real race car, that is where I would spend it.

Just got off the phone with them, they quoted $800 for a custom valved set for my application. I was told there is a difference in the type of valving between the Afco shock and the QA1, Strange, and Viking shocks which have a direct affect on the sensitivity and level of adjustment. Based on my conversation with them, that's what I gathered. I'm looking forward to hearing back from the other builders I contacted to get a little more info.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/28/15 11:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Lol, ok.

Monte

I grab the concept of what your saying, but if all the afco shocks "feel" the way those do, then no way do they pass the Monte test. Just because you have blue bodied shocks on your car right now, does not mean afco gets to take the credit for the way they work. A shock specialist does.How is Mark Mencer<sp? going to make a dollar if he wanted to revalve a santhuff shock. Who is going to spend $1300 per shock. No different than buying a plate/fogger kit from NOS or a plate/fogger kit from Monte Smith with jet setups.....LOL. does NOS get to take credit for that? if so, you need to stop printing shirts for the street outlaw guys

Monte, I read every post you make. I can quote you on how you weren't impressed with afco shocks from this very website if you like. For what my car does and does very slowly, the Viking shocks seem like a great buy. We don't all have $200,000 cars on here

All I was saying, is that your "hand test" likely doesn't mean anything, as I suspect those shocks were not properly charged, nor were they on the car. Also I am NOT downing your shock purchase. You bought what you could afford and I respect that. I was just agreeing with DYNO1 that the Afco is a better shock on the whole than the Viking and I won't change that thought. And yes, I had some Afcos before that I was NOT happy with and that was because they simply weren't valved correctly for what I wanted. I also stated that I had to send my Santhuffs back to be revalved, because I wasn't happy with those either.

And Menscer shocks, nor Santhuffs are $1300 each. A pair of Santhuffs can usually be had for around a $1000. Our Afco shocks from Menscer were $1600 a pair, with the external nitrogen canister. Now does EVERYBODY needs these type shocks, of course not. But one thing I have always said, was buy the BEST shock you can afford, or are WILLING to afford. That's what you did and I am sure you will be happy with them, because they are no doubt better than you had. But there is no reason for you or anyone else to get defensive when it is pointed out that some shocks are better than the ones you bought. It just is what it is. You bought what you wanted, so make them work. Would a set of Afcos, Santhuffs, Penskes, whatever, be a BETTER shock?...........absolutely.........Do YOU need that shock..........NO.

Others read these threads, from guys with daily drivers, to guys that have FAST stuff. We already know a "one size fits all" shock doesn't work on a lot of applications......so all that is being pointed out, is to buy the shock that FITS your needs, both from a cost AND performance standpoint. What is "good enough" for some, won't be close to enough for others. The OP asked for "feedback" on Viking shocks...........that's what is happening, he is getting feedback

Monte
Posted By: Airwoofer

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/29/15 12:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Then there is some thing wrong with his shocks. My front shocks are out of the box from afco and are not like that. He needs to send them to a shock guy or if they are new back to afco.

As far as I know, which isn't much except to know where to buy shocks from (in this case from dirt bikes) - shocks (and for that matter forks) react to stroke velocity, ie change in volume of the fluid as the shock compresses / rebounds. You change the settings to vary the force of reaction the shock is delivering for the sudden velocity - ie bump. Here is a chart that shows this concept as settings are changed. I think the changes in the curves with velocity changes are due to the shim pack and the different curves are for the pack bypass - the click settings.

http://www.ohlinsusa.com/files/files/TTX_25%20Dyno_E.pdf

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/29/15 02:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Mick

I have home made caltracs with stock leaf springs. I did not have any traction problems until I upgraded my fuel system (stock fuel pump to a MagnaFuel electric)and went from a old untuned 950 to a ProSystems 1050 and went to track and made 5 passes got zero traction every pass. So now I got to figure out what the problem is.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/29/15 03:03 PM

I've been a bunch of 1.320 sixty foots footbraking all motor on Cal-Tracs w/ the old Rancho 9 way rears and some "custom valved" Lakewood 90/10 fronts on my cuda. By custom valved I mean I drilled and drained the oil out of them and replaced it w/ some lighter oil b/c they were stiff as he11 when they were new. Wish I hadn't done that now, but they work great on my car on motor. Much better than the Calvert 90/10 shocks I tried in the past.

I feel pretty sure these Vikings will be a lot better than my current shocks. I knew I'd need to step up to something better when I started w/ the nitrous. Hopefully I'll be able to go faster than the tire spinning 9.30s I've already been at 3900 lbs.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/29/15 05:22 PM

Quote:

I've been a bunch of 1.320 sixty foots footbraking all motor on Cal-Tracs w/ the old Rancho 9 way rears and some "custom valved" Lakewood 90/10 fronts on my cuda. By custom valved I mean I drilled and drained the oil out of them and replaced it w/ some lighter oil b/c they were stiff as he11 when they were new. Wish I hadn't done that now, but they work great on my car on motor. Much better than the Calvert 90/10 shocks I tried in the past.

I feel pretty sure these Vikings will be a lot better than my current shocks. I knew I'd need to step up to something better when I started w/ the nitrous. Hopefully I'll be able to go faster than the tire spinning 9.30s I've already been at 3900 lbs.

When you start hitting it with a lot of nitrous that is where I am thankful I have really good shocks. I struggled for a few years trying to make it work.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/29/15 05:30 PM

I don't get it you spend over 1500 on a overdrive but won't even consider 800 for some custom shocks. It's the only piece that controls your suspension.
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/29/15 05:34 PM

I plan on the Menscer upgrade with my afco DAs .

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/29/15 05:50 PM

Quote:

I don't get it you spend over 1500 on a overdrive but won't even consider 800 for some custom shocks. It's the only piece that controls your suspension.

I would spend $1500 on air conditioning before I spent that kind of money on shocks. if you ever drivin your car 440 miles in 120*+ heat in one day it might be easier to understand that. your car is way faster then mine, but I probably log a lot more miles than you. add up the cycles on your valve springs at 600 rpm less for 8 hours of driving. I have to pick and choose my battles and the GV was a deal
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/29/15 06:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I would spend $1500 on air conditioning before I spent that kind of money on shocks. if you ever drivin your car 440 miles in 120*+ heat in one day it might be easier to understand that. your car is way faster then mine, but I probably log a lot more miles than you. add up the cycles on your valve springs at 600 rpm less for 8 hours of driving. I have to pick and choose my battles and the GV was a deal

you are getting old I see

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/29/15 06:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Oh I agree with you on GV for what you do, wouldn't even think about going with out one. The most I have logged on my car in one day is 150 miles and boy I wish I had ac too. I just don't get why you are so dead set against good shocks. What you spend on your new shocks $320 so for 480 more you get some custom built for your car. You didn't have a problem giving thumper money to customize your carb. But it is your money and your car and your choice. Just was one of the best things I did to my car, made it fun at the track again.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/29/15 06:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Oh I agree with you on GV for what you do, wouldn't even think about going with out one. The most I have logged on my car in one day is 150 miles and boy I wish I had ac too. I just don't get why you are so dead set against good shocks. What you spend on your new shocks $320 so for 480 more you get some custom built for your car. You didn't have a problem giving thumper money to customize your carb. But it is your money and your car and your choice. Just was one of the best things I did to my car, made it fun at the track again.

Giving your carb to Thumper is one of the smartest AND proven things most could benefit from........easy two/three tenths so far for a few hundred bucks is THE best bang for the buck

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/29/15 07:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Giving your carb to Thumper is one of the smartest AND proven things most could benefit from........easy two/three tenths so far for a few hundred bucks is THE best bang for the buck

No my Monte Smith plate, 1.5 seconds for a grand, has more bang for the buck!

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/29/15 07:10 PM

You`re right............... Oh wait.............no bottles to refill..............=$$$$$$........

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/29/15 07:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not convinced the viking are crap. best shocks I have ever bought. Really, my car is so slow, it hooks in a mud puddle. what I really wanted out of a set of shocks is to be able to adjust them for street driving. with the calvert 90/10s, if you hit a dip in the road, the shock extends and stays extended. Now, if it happens to both front tires at the same time, not so bad, but when you have one front wheel that extends the shock and the other is still at normal ride height it upsets the car. I want my street car the best that it can be for what I can afford. The front shocks were a xmas present from my GF and I spent about the same on her. as for the afcos, I have read all the threads on yellowbullet, yes they work great but only when Menscer does his thing. Thumper doing my carb was a 2 tenths upgrade and probably better gas milage I don't know how to respond to that

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/29/15 07:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

you are getting old I see

yes, it sucks

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/29/15 07:29 PM

From Ray, I'd like to see back to back testing with the old shocks vs the new shocks. One hit on the old setup, and then as many passes as can be had to dial in the new set, and see how the new ones compare. If he spent the money on DA Afco's someone would say he should have spent more for Penske's...

Jeff

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/29/15 07:35 PM

Quote:

From Ray, I'd like to see back to back testing with the old shocks vs the new shocks. One hit on the old setup, and then as many passes as can be had to dial in the new set, and see how the new ones compare. If he spent the money on DA Afco's someone would say he should have spent more for Penske's...

Jeff

I still have the old shocks and that would be easy to do. But like I said, my car is slow 1.4 60s and hooks and goes. I rarely ever spin and my tires are 6 years old because I bought them used from a 4 second car before I ever built my car. I really doubt I will see it pick up or slow down from the shock change

also I would like to make note, I know my place in this world, a 10.00 street car is what I can afford. I confess that I am one of those guys that hates taking out beautiful seatbelts because of the sfi sticker and the extra safety stuff below 10.0 is just more money that I could use for other fun stuff

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/30/15 12:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Jeff

I still have the old shocks and that would be easy to do. But like I said, my car is slow 1.4 60s and hooks and goes. I rarely ever spin and my tires are 6 years old because I bought them used from a 4 second car before I ever built my car. I really doubt I will see it pick up or slow down from the shock change

also I would like to make note, I know my place in this world, a 10.00 street car is what I can afford. I confess that I am one of those guys that hates taking out beautiful seatbelts because of the sfi sticker and the extra safety stuff below 10.0 is just more money that I could use for other fun stuff

It will depend on the aggressiveness of your chassis setup. Our car is a low 10sec bracket car and we've been high 1.3's before but with more front end control, our car will be capable of bottom 1.30 60's I think without being so aggressive that it won't repeat. Right now if we get too aggressive, the car wants to go into a significant wheelstand which is wasted motion. Hopefully, with the afco's, I can get the car to leave like Scott Gove or Paul Ricci
Posted By: MoParFish

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/30/15 03:32 AM

I'm thinking about a shock upgrade myself so I'm keeping an eye on these shock threads. Calvert fronts & 9 way Ranchos now. Can't help but wonder what guys like Dick Landy ran for shocks back in the 60s-70s

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/30/15 03:43 AM

Quote:

... Can't help but wonder what guys like Dick Landy ran for shocks back in the 60s-70s

In the late '60s Landy used high mileage (i.e. nearly worn out) OEM front shocks and C-body or truck-spec OEM rear shocks, depending on whether it was an auto or 4-speed trans.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/30/15 04:50 AM

Quote:

I'm thinking about a shock upgrade myself so I'm keeping an eye on these shock threads. Calvert fronts & 9 way Ranchos now. Can't help but wonder what guys like Dick Landy ran for shocks back in the 60s-70s

They used JUNK.... the BIGGEST jumps in performance
in the last 35 years has been shocks and tires
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/30/15 06:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Wow, I usually just lurk around here.....but that is one of the dumbest posts I have ever seen.......

Pro-stocks have went from 8.50's at 155 mph in 1980....to 6.50 at 212 mph.....so 2 seconds and near 60 mph improvement...is mostly from shocks and tires.....wow.....

I'll take the 6.50 212mph car and throw 1980 shocks and tires on it.....I bet it would still run 7's at close to 200 mph.....

Throw some current shocks and tires on a 1980 Pro-stocker and I bet it doesn't pick up much......maybe a few tenths and probably no mph.....

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/30/15 06:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wow, I usually just lurk around here.....but that is one of the dumbest posts I have ever seen.......

Pro-stocks have went from 8.50's at 155 mph in 1980....to 6.50 at 212 mph.....so 2 seconds and near 60 mph improvement...is mostly from shocks and tires.....wow.....

I'll take the 6.50 212mph car and throw 1980 shocks and tires on it.....I bet it would still run 7's at close to 200 mph.....

Throw some current shocks and tires on a 1980 Pro-stocker and I bet it doesn't pick up much......maybe a few tenths and probably no mph.....

Oh well.... try it and see... if you dont think
that the biggest gains arent from shocks and tires
you better go rethink it... they have had plenty
of power

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/30/15 06:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

of power

Wow, you continue to amaze.....you are standing by your statement....I am speechless

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/30/15 06:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

of power

Wow, you continue to amaze.....you are standing by your statement....I am speechless

With out the tires to day it wouldn't be close as to what they run. You put a old slick on a new pro stock and it wouldn't go anywhere close to sevens.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/30/15 06:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

of power

Yes... I even bought a set of shocks from Dick..
junk... but I guess you like your C-body or truck
shocks

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/30/15 06:42 AM

I wouldn't be able to turn on the nitrous with out these. Not even a remote possibility with factory shocks.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/30/15 07:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

of power

With out the tires to day it wouldn't be close as to what they run. You put a old slick on a new pro stock and it wouldn't go anywhere close to sevens.

well, I am sure they had 14-32's in 1980, and they have been on 7 second cars........

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/30/15 07:25 AM

Quote:

I would be able to turn on the nitrous with out these. Not even a remote possibility with factory shocks.

So you just started running nitrous since you bought these shocks ??

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/30/15 07:28 AM

well, I am sure they had 14-32's in 1980, and they have been on 7 second cars........

You are aware that the pro stock car of today uses
electronically controlled shocks.. just in case you
didnt know.... ask a pro stock crew chief if he wants
to use the shocks of the old days... see what he says
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/30/15 08:46 AM

Quote:

I would be able to turn on the nitrous with out these. Not even a remote possibility with factory shocks.

Where in Wisconsin are you from? You must have something fast with all that knowledge?
It's a shame your reading comprehension skills are well below standard.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/30/15 03:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I wouldn't be able to turn on the nitrous with out these. Not even a remote possibility with factory shocks.

No I have run nitrous for many years. It wasn't till I installed a w-series headed engine in my car that I needed those (730 hp before nitrous). At lower power levels you can run factory shocks but when you start making a lot of hp the rest of your program needs to match.

Just curious what type of race car do you tune and what speeds have you achieved with it?

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/30/15 03:59 PM

I should have stated that those old day shocks are
junk in comparison of todays shocks... but I still
stand by the fact of the shocks and tires

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/30/15 04:05 PM

Quote:

I should have stated that those old day shocks are
junk in comparison of todays shocks... but I still
stand by the fact of the shocks and tires

Yes you are probably right but pro stock and small tire racing wouldn't be any where close to what they are with out the improvements in tires and shocks. You can look at the speeds they had five years ago to today and see.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/30/15 07:25 PM

Mr Ps point was, that if you take a modern pro-stocker and apply early tire and shock technology, it would slow WAY down. Yes, they make way more power now, but power management has grown leaps and bounds MORE than power development over the years.

As to what they ran back then.........yeah, it was best available at the time, but that stuff is junk compared to todays.

Probably more of an apples to apples comparison, in regards to POWER, engine size and weight, would be to compare a modern SS/AH car, to an early Pro-Stock. The AH cars are much faster. Much of that is related to stuff OTHER than power.

Monte

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/30/15 10:37 PM

Wow......... talk about going down a rabbit hole! The OP asked opinions about a fair priced seemingly decent shock and it's made it's way to pro stockers. I don't know anyone on here who runs one or qualified to comment on them other than their own opinion as far as that goes.

No point in me asking about Strange shocks now, as I now know unless they are Santuffs or custom valved they are junk, no matter how slow your car.

Come on warm weather!!!

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/30/15 10:41 PM

Quote:

Wow......... talk about going down a rabbit hole! The OP asked opinions about a fair priced seemingly decent shock and it's made it's way to pro stockers. I don't know anyone on here who runs one or qualified to comment on them other than their own opinion as far as that goes.

No point in me asking about Strange shocks now, as I now know unless they are Santuffs or custom valved they are junk, no matter how slow your car.

Come on warm weather!!!

Sorry didnt mean to go of subject... as to the Strange..
I have the struts in front and Strange on the rear
of the Rampage... I dont know about the track yet
but I like the adjustability for the street.. they
do tend to tighten right up on extension

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/30/15 11:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Come on warm weather!!!

Sorry didnt mean to go of subject... as to the Strange..
I have the struts in front and Strange on the rear
of the Rampage... I dont know about the track yet
but I like the adjustability for the street.. they
do tend to tighten right up on extension

HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU NEED TO BE TOLD YOUR HANDS ARE NOT A SHOCK DYNO!!!! Geeeze

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/30/15 11:23 PM

HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU NEED TO BE TOLD YOUR HANDS ARE NOT A SHOCK DYNO!!!! Geeeze

That was on the car Ray.. I dont normally push and
pull them on the bench unless they need to be cycled

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/30/15 11:39 PM

Quote:

I just felt like yelling at someone

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/30/15 11:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I just felt like yelling at someone

Its alright... seems I have been getting yelled at
a fair amount lately...so you can too

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/31/15 12:53 AM

Quote:

Mr Ps point was, that if you take a modern pro-stocker and apply early tire and shock technology, it would slow WAY down. Yes, they make way more power now, but power management has grown leaps and bounds MORE than power development over the years.

As to what they ran back then.........yeah, it was best available at the time, but that stuff is junk compared to todays.

Probably more of an apples to apples comparison, in regards to POWER, engine size and weight, would be to compare a modern SS/AH car, to an early Pro-Stock. The AH cars are much faster. Much of that is related to stuff OTHER than power.

Monte

I still don't see how a shock will add 30, 40, 50, 60 MPH.......These silly engine builders/developers never realized their time would be better spent on shocks.....LOL

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/31/15 01:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

I still don't see how a shock will add 30, 40, 50, 60 MPH.......These silly engine builders/developers never realized their time would be better spent on shocks.....LOL

I see your new and I sure dont want to drive you away
but... you can make all the HP you want but if you
cant apply it to the track.. its wasted HP.. in other
words... did you REALLY make more power

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/31/15 01:40 AM

Quote:

Come on warm weather!!!

Monte actually said the strange shocks are a good shock.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/31/15 02:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Come on warm weather!!!

Yes there are custom set ups for them, I know of a x275 car that has a set of strange.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/31/15 02:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Come on warm weather!!!

Talk to Mike Roth @ MR2 Performance..

I got Strange shocks through him. Very knowledgeable about shocks.

He told me for what I was doing, (S/ST) Strange was fine. BUT..

If I wanted the BEST Shock... "Santuff"

mr2performance@sbcglobal.net

--------------------
MR2PERFORMANCE RACE CARS
765 483 9371

Chris..

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/31/15 02:48 AM

Right now I need shocks, santhuff's aren't in the budget so I'm going to get strange shocks to match the strange coilovers out back. But when i get new coilovers and struts I will save up for the santhuffs.
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/31/15 03:21 AM

Been watching all this shock talk for several months,,,I thought I needed new shocks to get my car to work right. I had a CE coilover setup on my car. I got Afco d/a for the rear. I put them on and saw NO measurable improvements even after a few weekends of adjustments.
By NO measurable improvements, I mean what improvements in 60' I saw were probably not worth the $500.00 I spent. I guess I should have spent MORE money to get the results like others here say you have to spend. Probably, my old junk don't make enough HP to need any $$$$ shocks.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/31/15 04:03 AM

Some miss the point of what shocks DO. If your car works OK, you put better shocks on and don't change a thing on the car, you shouldn't expect results, because you haven't done anything. You have to maximize the combination.

On our car for instance, even on flypaper tracks, if we tried to push it much past a 1.14 or so 60ft, it would knock the tires off. Then we put the Santhuffs on and were able to push the car harder, with a best 60ft of 1.07 and doing that consistently. We now have the Menscer shocks and are pushing harder, with a best so far of 1.05, after one race of testing. Our goal now is to go a 1.00 flat on a radial. I think these shocks will allow us to do that.

So to summarize here...........if you car is dead hooking now, printing identical 60fts every pass and you do NOT have the ability to hit it harder, nor are you planning anything to hit it harder, you likely don't need shocks. But MANY guys do have consistency problems that many times can be related to shocks. Meaning on similar track and weather conditions, the 60fts vary a lot. If this is the case, you likely need shocks

Monte

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/31/15 04:25 AM

Quote:

Some miss the point of what shocks DO. If your car works OK, you put better shocks on and don't change a thing on the car, you shouldn't expect results, because you haven't done anything. You have to maximize the combination.

On our car for instance, even on flypaper tracks, if we tried to push it much past a 1.14 or so 60ft, it would knock the tires off. Then we put the Santhuffs on and were able to push the car harder, with a best 60ft of 1.07 and doing that consistently. We now have the Menscer shocks and are pushing harder, with a best so far of 1.05, after one race of testing. Our goal now is to go a 1.00 flat on a radial. I think these shocks will allow us to do that.

So to summarize here...........if you car is dead hooking now, printing identical 60fts every pass and you do NOT have the ability to hit it harder, nor are you planning anything to hit it harder, you likely don't need shocks. But MANY guys do have consistency problems that many times can be related to shocks. Meaning on similar track and weather conditions, the 60fts vary a lot. If this is the case, you likely need shocks

Monte

Think I'm gonna get with Menscer instead

7in cn rear and 4 inch front stock mt

Excellent control and user friendly adjustment. world record setting performance in an affordable package.

Can be configured to mount in most stock mount applications.

Packages starting at $949.00

that is a really good price and tuned to your car/truck

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/31/15 06:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Excellent control and user friendly adjustment. world record setting performance in an affordable package.

He also does strange shocks, so he could revalve your existing shocks.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 01/31/15 08:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

He also does strange shocks, so he could revalve your existing shocks.

I got single adjustables on rear, I want to go double on rear and front.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 02/04/15 07:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just got off the phone with them, they quoted $800 for a custom valved set for my application. I was told there is a difference in the type of valving between the Afco shock and the QA1, Strange, and Viking shocks which have a direct affect on the sensitivity and level of adjustment. Based on my conversation with them, that's what I gathered. I'm looking forward to hearing back from the other builders I contacted to get a little more info.

Update! I talked to FASTSHOCKS(Randy Mans) today regarding getting some shocks built and he suggested DA Afcos for a price of $850. He sounded quite knowledgeable of building shocks for an A-body and does quite a bit of Stock and Super Stock shocks. Just an fyi for those of you that may have been curios of the price per set.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 02/14/15 07:03 PM

Hate to even post this cause parts of this thread kinda resemble a "train wreck" now but, I gambled and sprung for a set of Viking fronts. Just F.Y.I. it looks like the B202 Vikings have about .375" less extension than the Calverts. I stacked washers on the stud to prevent shock from over-extending. Installed but haven't ran them yet. We'll play with them and see how it goes

Attached picture 8428977-vs1.jpg

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 02/14/15 07:04 PM

Attached picture 8428979-vs2.jpg

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 02/14/15 07:37 PM

Quote:

That right there really pisses me off....................STILL makin em too short..............

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 02/14/15 09:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That right there really pisses me off....................STILL makin em too short..............

My QA1 Rs have the same problem; I had to change the top mount bushings around in order to allow the suspension to extend fully w/o actually topping out the damper itself, yet still get the 5"+ travel from the static ride height Calvert told me I needed.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 02/14/15 10:43 PM

.......3/8 of an inch......really?...........we are complaining about 3/8 of an inch less travel. For one, you need to check and see if the shock even keeps the suspension from full droop and secondly, very few cars NEED that much travel anyway.

Monte

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 02/14/15 10:54 PM

Monte..For an off the shelf shock are all of the extended lengths standard? Just asking. Thanks!

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 02/14/15 11:20 PM

Quote:

Monte..For an off the shelf shock are all of the extended lengths standard? Just asking. Thanks!

No idea. But you have to realize that NO shock company is going to build an "off the shelf" specific shock, for every car out there. There may be some shaft and bottom mounting options, but for the most part the shock will be generic........Plus, what IS full droop for a given car?.....is every one the same?.........So these two simple questions tells you that the perfect fit shock for every car, is next to impossible. You want perfect, you need "custom"

Monte

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 02/14/15 11:22 PM

Thanks!

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 02/15/15 01:06 AM

Quote:

.......3/8 of an inch......really?...........we are complaining about 3/8 of an inch less travel. For one, you need to check and see if the shock even keeps the suspension from full droop and secondly, very few cars NEED that much travel anyway.

Monte

I think I was complaining more about the direction these threads turn sometimes, not about 3/8 of an inch. Was just reporting my findings between two shocks. I thought guys replacing Calvert with Vikings may find the info helpful. My Calvert front shocks DID slightly keep the suspension from full droop to which I added washers to compensate. With the Vikings I had to add more washers to the stud so the suspension was not hanging from shock at full droop on a '64 B Body.
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 02/15/15 01:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

I think I was complaining more about the direction these threads turn sometimes, not about 3/8 of an inch. Was just reporting my findings between two shocks. I thought guys replacing Calvert with Vikings may find the info helpful. My Calvert front shocks DID slightly keep the suspension from full droop to which I added washers to compensate. With the Vikings I had to add more washers to the stud so the suspension was not hanging from shock at full droop on a '64 B Body.

If the washers cost $1000.00,,,you should be OK. Gotta' spend money to go fast.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 02/15/15 03:09 AM

^^^^^^ Does Santhuff make washers?

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 02/15/15 05:27 PM

Quote:

Monte

Not sure if your reply was directed at me, but YES, a shorter shock was an "inconvenience", at best.

In my case, the damper WAS topped out before the front suspension was fully extended after I'd lowered the ride height and trimmed down the control arm bumpers to allow for the 5" of travel that John Calvert told me to aim for when I had a problem w/ the rear tires unloading after the hit.

I scrounged up a different combination of hardware for the top mounts to make sure the dampers weren't going to pull themselves apart at max suspension lift. That increase in front travel did help correct the launch issue; Calvert's advice worked out well for me.

I think all your input on this board is solid and obviously reflects YEARS of on-track experience. But you've gotten so deep into this at a big-money level that I think you've forgotten what it's like to be "hobby poor" and "race slow", along with the constraints that implies.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 02/15/15 05:59 PM

Why does the front suspension need to go to full droop? I ordered my front Afcos short on purpose.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 02/15/15 06:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Not sure if your reply was directed at me, but YES, a shorter shock was an "inconvenience", at best.

In my case, the damper WAS topped out before the front suspension was fully extended after I'd lowered the ride height and trimmed down the control arm bumpers to allow for the 5" of travel that John Calvert told me to aim for when I had a problem w/ the rear tires unloading after the hit.

I scrounged up a different combination of hardware for the top mounts to make sure the dampers weren't going to pull themselves apart at max suspension lift. That increase in front travel did help correct the launch issue; Calvert's advice worked out well for me.

I think all your input on this board is solid and obviously reflects YEARS of on-track experience. But you've gotten so deep into this at a big-money level that I think you've forgotten what it's like to be "hobby poor" and "race slow", along with the constraints that implies.

I`m the one who posted that so shoot me already. MOST new heads suck, MOST carbs suck and who knows on shocks but really, ya can`t make em longer in the developement dept? Gimme a break and yes Monte, MOST of us DO need the added travel so give it to us already so we`re not stackin washers..................

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 02/15/15 06:30 PM

Quote:

Why does the front suspension need to go to full droop? I ordered my front Afcos short on purpose.

Because some cars need all the the front movement to
get the front up high enough to transfer the weight
to the rear... in your case.. you dont need it

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 02/15/15 06:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Because some cars need all the the front movement to
get the front up high enough to transfer the weight
to the rear... in your case.. you dont need it

And these aren't motocrossers, where the dampers are designed to be the travel limiters, as well as the movement controllers.

Putting the full extension load on the damper itself w/ comparatively "spindly" shocks like we're talking about here is asking for the piston to get damaged when the full extension point is slammed into 'cuz the suspension is capable of moving even farther.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 02/15/15 09:38 PM

When I installed my front Vi-king shocks,I also changed the upper mounts to eliminate the stud from the engine compartment to make room for different valve covers. With the mounts I fabricated,the shocks were short causing a "topping out" problem.Chris from Vi-king took the shocks back and installed a longer shaft so it would not top out when the front tires were in the air.They did this at NO CHARGE!!To me,the customer service at Vi-king is great.

Attached picture 8430205-11.30.14091.jpg

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 02/15/15 10:44 PM

No Dom...........most THINK they need full droop to make their car work, because that is what they have been TOLD forever and a day. But seldom is that the case

Yes, I work on many fast, high dollar cars........but that is the smaller part of my customer base. I work on far more cars, just like guys on this board have.

Monte

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 02/15/15 10:49 PM

Quote:

When I installed my front Vi-king shocks,I also changed the upper mounts to eliminate the stud from the engine compartment to make room for different valve covers. With the mounts I fabricated,the shocks were short causing a "topping out" problem.Chris from Vi-king took the shocks back and installed a longer shaft so it would not top out when the front tires were in the air.They did this at NO CHARGE!!To me,the customer service at Vi-king is great.

Personally I think the way this is pictured is the better way to go...........but gonna have to be honest. That mount looks a little flimsy, since without the T-bars, that mount is carrying the entire front weight of the car. What I have done in the past, is weld a piece of tubing across there, which ties the shock tower together and then hang tabs from that piece of tubing to mount the shock

Monte

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 02/16/15 04:39 AM

Quote:

No Dom...........most THINK they need full droop to make their car work, because that is what they have been TOLD forever and a day. But seldom is that the case

Yes, I work on many fast, high dollar cars........but that is the smaller part of my customer base. I work on far more cars, just like guys on this board have.

Monte

Not a racer just an et chaser but in the past at my slow azz level, my car liked more and quicker extension on the shocks and went quicker and faster but soon I`ll find out what it likes now..............

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 02/16/15 04:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Personally I think the way this is pictured is the better way to go...........but gonna have to be honest. That mount looks a little flimsy, since without the T-bars, that mount is carrying the entire front weight of the car. What I have done in the past, is weld a piece of tubing across there, which ties the shock tower together and then hang tabs from that piece of tubing to mount the shock

Monte

Stock front end,but a "j" bar is near the top of the bucket list.
Now that I have a handle on the carbs,I can turn my attention to the untuned shocks and try a few things with the cal tracs.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 03/10/15 02:44 PM

I appreciate all the replies and am wondering about new feedback from Viking users since "race" season has started in some areas of the country

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 03/10/15 03:51 PM

I finally put mine on the car last weekend...have not even driven it yet though, lol. Hoping to take it out to the tack in the next week or so.
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 03/10/15 10:10 PM

Viking was nice enough to entertain the idea of putting together a pair of shocks for the front of F/M/J bodies - stud/stud. After I double-check the measurements and see how close they can get, I'll get the ball rolling. I have a '78 Aspen wagon and am disappointed at the lack of options because everything else is simply too loose on the extension and compression. But it is laterally tight in there.

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 03/10/15 11:21 PM

Thanks guys, please report back with your findings! Anyone else?
Posted By: John Burdine

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 03/11/15 04:26 AM

if you buy shocks from Menscer, what does he start with? Afco, Strange???

Re: Feedback on Viking double adjust shock ? - 03/11/15 05:08 AM

Quote:

if you buy shocks from Menscer, what does he start with? Afco, Strange???

Yes he sells both those brands. Call him and he will tell you what you need, and what he can do. I have afco's done from him.
© 2024 Moparts Forums