Moparts

Vacume pump users, do you see water vapor?

Posted By: Cab_Burge

Vacume pump users, do you see water vapor? - 01/08/15 02:49 AM

I finally fired up my car with the GZ 104 vacume pump on it, I didn't put a remote vacume gauge on it to set the bypass but did put a larger hose into the bypass hole and hooked up a older Ecomiser vacume gauge into that hole. basically pluging it now that I think about
My question is on seeing either water vapor or oil bypass smoke coming out of the catch can, is this normal on a cold motor while warming it up? It didn't do it all the time, it seemed to start and stop
Last question is where did you put the permenant vacume hose fitting on your motors to monitor the vacume
I have called GZ twice today and got there answering machine both times, there probally tired of taking my calls and questions I'm wondering if it is good in a valve cover or is it maybe better somewhere else
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Vacume pump users, do you see water vapor? - 01/08/15 02:55 AM

You will see condensation in the tank.. thats normal
EDIT
I pick up the vac from the valve cover right over the
second rocker hold down with a good baffle.. I made
up a interlocking U with a top that I weld to the VC
Posted By: 9secondsatellite

Re: Vacume pump users, do you see water vapor? - 01/08/15 03:18 AM

condensation is normal. actually a pretty good sign you have good vacuum. i like reading it from as low as possible. if you have a fuel pump block off plate, you could get a reading from there.
Posted By: Ohio Joe

Re: Vacume pump users, do you see water vapor? - 01/08/15 03:22 AM

Condensation seems to be normal for our motor. Our gauge is plumbed into the fuel block off plate. Thinking about changing things up and pulling our vac from fuel block off plate and hooking the vac gauge to the valve cover .
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: Vacume pump users, do you see water vapor? - 01/08/15 03:26 AM

I welded up a threaded bung on the valve cover for the vac gauge.

Vacuum readings are consistent throughout so it does not matter where you pull it from.

As far as condensation goes - the lower the pressure the more water will be pulled out of the atmosphere. ( in the engine or not )
Posted By: dvw

Re: Vacume pump users, do you see water vapor? - 01/08/15 04:38 AM

I run a GZ pump. Sometimes I see vapor if its cold out. My vacuum fitting is in my valley plate.
Doug
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Vacume pump users, do you see water vapor? - 01/08/15 04:57 AM

Yes I see vapor on mine. I pick up my reading from the back of a valve cover.
Posted By: rebel

Re: Vacume pump users, do you see water vapor? - 01/08/15 06:19 AM

when i first installed my pump i saw water vapor but since the freshen up i see none. first run of the day collects the most oil(2-3oz) but after that its virtually none. my vac guage is connected to a rocker cover, 5" at idle, 10" at full throttle.
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Vacume pump users, do you see water vapor? - 01/08/15 11:42 AM

Some moisture is common.

The less vacuum leaks you have the less moisture you get in my experience.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Vacume pump users, do you see water vapor? - 01/08/15 03:00 PM

Quote:

Yes I see vapor on mine. I pick up my reading from the back of a valve cover.

Same here.
Posted By: Forest

Re: Vacume pump users, do you see water vapor? - 01/08/15 04:12 PM

Moisture is normal for me too...you can see my vacuum line fitting in the valley plate.
Posted By: slippery440

Re: Vacume pump users, do you see water vapor? - 01/08/15 04:13 PM

Yes I do see vapor on the start up after a week of just setting around. Also I run E85 witch my have a factor in the water vapor. I always let the motor run to 200 degrees before I shut it down after the final round I am in.

Re: Vacume pump users, do you see water vapor? - 01/08/15 04:18 PM

The hot air in the engine rises up... the VC cool
off first.. thats why you see the moisture up there
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Vacume pump users, do you see water vapor? - 01/08/15 04:43 PM

MrCab I see water vapor(moisture)on 1st crank after setting from one week to the next also.

I try and put the hose for my vacuum gauge on one side and pull vacuum and the pop off valve on the other side.If I mount the vacuum pump on the drivers side I like to pull vacuum from the passenger side,I do not think it really matters but find it's best that way to help keep it from spraying a fine mist of oil out the top of the filter when its at max pressure.

PS If I run one off another Big Block Mopar engine with the valley plate like Indy,I will pull vacuum from it as close to the center as I can get.

Re: Vacume pump users, do you see water vapor? - 01/08/15 04:53 PM

Quote:

MrCab I see water vapor(moisture)on 1st crank after setting from one week to the next also.

You get moisture all the time BUT you just pump it
out due to the engine being warm.... the air going
into the engine is carrying the moisture in
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Vacume pump users, do you see water vapor? - 01/08/15 04:58 PM

When you drain your vacuum tank you will also find a small amount of water the 1st time and this is normal.On an alcohol engine you will find even more water.

PS there is no need to worry about forgetting to drain your tank.If you do it will remind you when it needs draining!
I have the Wife save the small butter bowls to drain mine in.I like to leave my pit space as clean as it is when I get there.At the end of the day you can put the lid back on it and duct tape it and put it in the trash can.Some may say not to put it in there but I say thats better than draining it on the ground.

Re: Vacume pump users, do you see water vapor? - 01/08/15 05:03 PM

Quote:

When you drain your vacuum tank you will also find a small amount of water the 1st time and this is normal.On an alcohol engine you will find even more water.

Sure.. alky engines(fuel) absorbs water so when its
heated it separates... same with E-85.. so you have
2 sources of moisture being carried into the engine
Posted By: Oyvind Mopar

Re: Vacume pump users, do you see water vapor? - 01/08/15 06:27 PM

And, it mainly comes from the combustion process! Exhaust blowby. Even more from Ethanol mix
Posted By: 9secondsatellite

Re: Vacume pump users, do you see water vapor? - 01/08/15 10:13 PM

Quote:

Moisture is normal for me too...you can see my vacuum line fitting in the valley plate.

anybody else notice how nice this engine and set up looks? sorry. didn't mean to get off of the topic but i had to give a shout out to this. now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Re: Vacume pump users, do you see water vapor? - 01/08/15 10:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

anybody else notice how nice this engine and set up looks? sorry. didn't mean to get off of the topic but i had to give a shout out to this. now back to your regularly scheduled program.

It IS PRETTY... one thing... that vac line sure is
small... we are playing with a FAIR bit of volume

Re: Vacume pump users, do you see water vapor? - 01/08/15 11:43 PM

That is the vaccum line to the racepak sensor...the suction line to the pump is a -12 in the valve cover.

Re: Vacume pump users, do you see water vapor? - 01/08/15 11:47 PM

Quote:

That is the vaccum line to the racepak sensor...the suction line to the pump is a -12 in the valve cover.

Ok.. got ya... thats much better
Posted By: cudadon

Re: Vacume pump users, do you see water vapor? - 01/11/15 11:45 PM

Quote:

Forrest what size is that push lock fitting you use for vaccum? Where did you get it?
Thanks, Don

Attached picture 8392756-T&T4-26-14.jpg

Re: Vacume pump users, do you see water vapor? - 01/17/15 09:47 PM

I finally remember to take a picture of it, the system, after getting it mounted and working Forgive the Okie way of trying to temporalily hook a vacume gauge up to the bypass valve to set it:o I will buy a vacume gauge and hook it up the proper way

Attached picture 8399381-SANY0285.JPG

Re: Vacume pump users, do you see water vapor? - 01/17/15 10:08 PM

Quote:

I finally remember to take a picture of it, the system, after getting it mounted and working Forgive the Okie way of trying to temporalily hook a vacume gauge up to the bypass valve to set it:o I will buy a vacume gauge and hook it up the proper way

For testing purposes if you have a dip stick I just
pull the stick and clamp a hose to the tube and to the
gauge.. later I mount the point permanently, usually
in the back of the valve cover so its out of the way

Re: Vacume pump users, do you see water vapor? - 01/18/15 05:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

For testing purposes if you have a dip stick I just
pull the stick and clamp a hose to the tube and to the
gauge.. later I mount the point permanently, usually
in the back of the valve cover so its out of the way

Thanks for the help, Mike

Re: Vacume pump users, do you see water vapor? - 01/18/15 05:49 AM

Forrest what size is that push lock fitting you use for vaccum? Where did you get it?
Thanks, Don

Sorry just saw the post...its 1/8 npt to around 1/4 hose. Like the co2 or air brake style. It was leftover from my PPP air shifter. You can buy this stuff at any local hose supplier.
© 2024 Moparts Forums