Moparts

super stock leaf springs

Posted By: bigblocka

super stock leaf springs - 12/30/14 11:35 PM

just bought a set of 002/003 springs and was told that i need 1" longer shackle kit.
any info on this and any other tips on set up would be appreciated.
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: super stock leaf springs - 12/30/14 11:38 PM

The front segment on the SS springs is shorter than on the stockers. You need a longer front spring hanger unless it's an A body.

Re: super stock leaf springs - 12/30/14 11:46 PM

sorry, it is a 72 demon small block 340.
so with it being a a-body i can use the standard length shackles?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: super stock leaf springs - 12/30/14 11:54 PM

Quote:

Yes you can The 1962 and 1963 B and A bodys had a 20 inch front segment on all leaf springs, Mopar decided to lengthen the B bodys in 1964 to 22 front segments, why only the Engineers know Those springs work awesome for drag racing

Re: super stock leaf springs - 12/31/14 12:06 AM

any other tips on set up. ie shocks,clamps etc
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: super stock leaf springs - 12/31/14 12:15 AM

Quote:

Get some good adjustable shocks.. and most likely you
will be un-clamping the rear segments.. depending on the
shocks and power
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: super stock leaf springs - 12/31/14 01:28 AM

Quote:

Yes. If you are going from stock springs to Super Stock springs check your pinion angle before racing or driving the car at a high speed. 30+ years ago I fought one heck of a vibration because they threw mine off. The proper shims can be purchased. Back then we didn't have internet forums to help figure these issues out.

Re: super stock leaf springs - 12/31/14 01:38 AM

what is the recommended pinion angle?
pinion snubber or no?

Re: super stock leaf springs - 12/31/14 01:50 AM

Quote:

pinion snubber or no?

I just posted that because it does need checked and possibly adjusted. Mine did and the vibration was terrible. Some of these turn into ugly arguments so I will post a link and you can see what may be needed.

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/8.html

Re: super stock leaf springs - 12/31/14 01:53 AM

Another one.

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/3.html

Re: super stock leaf springs - 12/31/14 02:11 AM

thanks for the info.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: super stock leaf springs - 12/31/14 07:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes you can The 1962 and 1963 B and A bodys had a 20 inch front segment on all leaf springs, Mopar decided to lengthen the B bodys in 1964 to 22 front segments, why only the Engineers know Those springs work awesome for drag racing

Not sure, i'll have to check, but my 64 savoy were 21 inch front segments.
Posted By: therocks

Re: super stock leaf springs - 12/31/14 06:14 PM

Cab its 21 in early 64 65s.My 65 has a 21 inch frt segment.22 didnt come out till 66.Rocky
Posted By: cruzin

Re: super stock leaf springs - 12/31/14 09:27 PM

The rear bushing on your SS spring require a (7/8 o.d. x 1/2 i.d.) bushing. A-body shackles bolts are .50" shank compared to the B/E which are .5625" or 9/16" shank bolt and use a 1.0" o.d. bushing.

If you are going to use a longer shackle, make sure they accomodate the smaller 7/8" bushing (Moog K7309 or Rabestos 576-3026) found on the SS springs.

Just curious, why or where a longer shackle is required?
Posted By: GY3

Re: super stock leaf springs - 12/31/14 09:29 PM

Quote:

The rear bushing on your SS spring require a (7/8 o.d. x 1/2 i.d.) bushing. A-body shackles bolts are .50" shank compared to the B/E which are .5625" or 9/16" shank bolt and use a 1.0" o.d. bushing.

If you are going to use a longer shackle, make sure they accomodate the smaller 7/8" bushing (Moog K7309 or Rabestos 576-3026) found on the SS springs.

Just curious, why or where a longer shackle is required?

Think he was referring to front spring hanger...
Posted By: cruzin

Re: super stock leaf springs - 12/31/14 09:58 PM

My bad... Shackle / hanger, same thing?
Posted By: GY3

Re: super stock leaf springs - 12/31/14 10:02 PM

Quote:

My bad... Shackle / hanger, same thing?

You say tomato, I say banana....
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/01/15 06:47 AM

Tires will hit harder with longer shackles.

Besides front spring eye height and the number/location of spring clamps, different shackle lengths are another tuning aid for leaf springs.

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/01/15 06:26 PM

so this would be a trial and error on different length shackle?
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/01/15 07:58 PM

There`s going to be LOTS of trial and error especially if your making decent power.............60`s tech in 2015...........
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/01/15 09:31 PM

Quote:

so this would be a trial and error on different length shackle?

Everrything new on a race car, especially Mopars is trail and error Test, test and test some more My old bracket car, 1969 Dart 440 BB with a 727, liked the single rear clamps on the 002,003 to be directly behind shock plates, my freinds 340 NHRA 1971 Demon wanted them halfway bact towards the rear shackle almost like the stock clamps where BTW, the 002,003 will raise the rear of the car up quite a bit, make sure to check the driveshaft to pinion shaft angles before and after, correct as needed
Posted By: 383man

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/01/15 09:53 PM

Quote:

There`s going to be LOTS of trial and error especially if your making decent power.............60`s tech in 2015...........

Hey whats wrong with 60's tech ?? Some of us cheap guys still use it.

I agree that they mean use the longer front hanger not shackle. I did use the stock shackles with my 3400 lb SS springs on my 63. And I actually bought the Mr Gasket shackle kit with extra holes in it to use them and raise the back of my car about a 1/2" as it was actually a tad lower then I liked. I cut them off and painted them black to make them look like the stock shackle and they made no difference at all in how the car hooked. I use just SS springs and the longer extending MP rear shocks. Yes they are cheap 60's tech as they have no adjustment at all. But they work ok for my street car as it hooks fine and in running 10.70's its had a 1.50 best 60 which is not great but average for a leaf spring car with basically all stock suspension. It works for a low budget like I have been on for a while. Ron
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/01/15 10:18 PM

I use 3400# S/S springs also.I have no problem hooking unless the track is in poor shape,but then everyone is in the same boat.I used to use a Atlas long shock for a Chrysler station wagon,but now have 9 way Ranchos and Calvert's on the front.I have a set of 3800# S/S springs that I may try in the future.

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/01/15 11:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree that they mean use the longer front hanger not shackle. I did use the stock shackles with my 3400 lb SS springs on my 63. And I actually bought the Mr Gasket shackle kit with extra holes in it to use them and raise the back of my car about a 1/2" as it was actually a tad lower then I liked. I cut them off and painted them black to make them look like the stock shackle and they made no difference at all in how the car hooked. I use just SS springs and the longer extending MP rear shocks. Yes they are cheap 60's tech as they have no adjustment at all. But they work ok for my street car as it hooks fine and in running 10.70's its had a 1.50 best 60 which is not great but average for a leaf spring car with basically all stock suspension. It works for a low budget like I have been on for a while. Ron

No problem but just wait till the "I can`t get my ss springs to hook" post or maybe not as some run well...........

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/02/15 12:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No problem but just wait till the "I can`t get my ss springs to hook" post or maybe not as some run well...........

Yea I guess I am lucky as I have only got to the track twice in the last two years but both times the 4 passes I made were all within 4 hundreths of each other as this year it ran from 10.85 to 10.89 and last year from 10.76 to 10.81 with 3 of the passes all being 10.76. I dont make a ton of power but I am stuck and have to live within my budget for now. One day if it works out I would like to try Cal Tracs and adjustable shocks on all 4 corners but atleast it works ok so I can still get out some and have some fun for now. I kinda feel my suspension may be leaving a good tenth or two on the table. But it does really drive nice on the street. Ron
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/02/15 12:11 AM

I have the 3800# 454-455 springs on my Savoy with Rancho's and all stock type suspension up front. Like Ron I only make a limited number of passes every year and the cheap shocks and 60's tech work well for me
Gus

Attached picture 8381275-mysavoy.jpg

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/02/15 03:50 AM

More power to you guys cos I couldn`t get em to repeat like the C-tracs................
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/02/15 04:12 AM

What side of car do the even number springs go on and does this apply to every set of springs? Brain fade...

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/02/15 05:09 AM

My old Duster ran a best of 9.82 many many years ago. My Son Matt sitting in front of the quad is now 26. With today's technology I wouldn't put super stock springs on anything I planned to take to the track.

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/02/15 05:54 AM

Quote:

More power to you guys cos I couldn`t get em to repeat like the C-tracs................

Course you do make alot more power then me. Ron

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/02/15 06:07 AM

Not sure how much more but even w/my 360 I personally couldn`t get it right but, I don`t get a few things right so,.............

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/02/15 06:09 AM

Quote:

My old Duster ran a best of 9.82 many many years ago. My Son Matt sitting in front of the quad is now 26. With today's technology I wouldn't put super stock springs on anything I planned to take to the track.

And why would that be ? It worked in the 60's and 70's and if your budget was very tight and the car had SS springs I cant see any reason why not. I cant see it being a safety issue and I like the SS springs on my car since its a street car and it drives nice on them. Thats like saying if you dont have the budget for a high dollar race car you should not race your car even if what you have is legal and safe ? Makes no sense to me. Ron
Posted By: moparguy7074

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/02/15 12:48 PM

Quote:

Come on John, that's all I have on mine, with wore out stock shocks too. And you've seen how my car runs!
Posted By: MattW

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/02/15 04:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Come on John, that's all I have on mine, with wore out stock shocks too. And you've seen how my car runs!

Come on guys different tools to get the job done. Some like to use a wooden handle hammer some like the metals ones and some like to use the gas nailer.
End result is the nail is in the wood.
You just have to know how to use each one
Matt

PS What is with all the Chevy toll trucks?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/02/15 04:40 PM

What it really comes down to is they are satisfied
with how the car works... to change takes money in
most cases and they dont want to spend it or have it
but they also wont find out that it could be better..
like they say... speed cost
Posted By: Clanton

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/02/15 04:48 PM

Quote:

Well said.

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/02/15 05:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You are right BUT by time you spend 200 dollars for Super Stock spring why not upgrade. Back when I ran Super Stock springs shock technology and track prep were nothing like today. My Duster would hook like a son of a gun Friday nights but come Sunday when the sun was on the track it would spin. And we are only talking about a high 9 second car. Look at what these cars are running today on Caltracks. I guess Super Stock springs have their place.

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/02/15 06:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You are right BUT by time you spend 200 dollars for Super Stock spring why not upgrade. Back when I ran Super Stock springs shock technology and track prep were nothing like today. My Duster would hook like a son of a gun Friday nights but come Sunday when the sun was on the track it would spin. And we are only talking about a high 9 second car. Look at what these cars are running today on Caltracks. I guess Super Stock springs have their place.

Ok, ya got me there. My SS springs were on the car when I bought it. I have been looking at upgrading to Assassin bars, but just can't justify it when I have no problems hooking up with what I have. My car is slow though, only mid 10.30's...

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/02/15 07:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

They do have a place and it`s usually but not always on slower that COULD be faster and more consistent. FWIW, The leaf guys are now in the 1.03 60 ft. range(record).................I agree about whatever werkz..............Some run an E-Brock carb, some run M/T tires yada yada................enjoy the journey.

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/02/15 07:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well said.

I agree. I happen to be in the low budget boat and I am not complaining its just the way the cards went. Between a divorce at 55 which I never thought would happen after 25 years of marriage and then my health problems and going on disability I was lucky to even get my 493 together before real money problems set in. Honestly I cant afford $800 dollars to run Cal Tracs even if I wanted to. So yes I have no choice but to try and have fun once or twice a year when its in my budget and run my car as it is. Believe me I would love to make changes and make it faster but I guess I am lucky to have what I got as it could be worse. I can enjoy just driving my car alot and I do love racing but I also cant afford to break nothing big right now or I will be down for a bit without my car if I do. So I just enjoy what I have and hopefully things will get even better in the future. Ron
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/02/15 08:11 PM

Quote:

pinion snubber or no?

No snubber.
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/02/15 08:16 PM

Quote:

I like the challenge of making the best of what I have to work with. That's part of the appeal of the very rules restricted IHRA/NHRA Stock class racing. While they do allow Cal-Tracs, I have to watch my budget. I have gotten my car to work well on just SS springs and 9" tires. But the events I attend normally take care of the track better than some local, weekly ET events as well.
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/03/15 02:34 AM

I wonder how the ss springs work with quality da shocks. I have a set of the Dvorak springs. Anyone know how they stack up withe the ss and possibly the tri city springs?

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/03/15 07:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

pinion snubber or no?

No snubber.

Unless you're running a transbrake.
Posted By: racerx

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/03/15 07:38 AM

Quote:

Thump...........what do you run leafs or bars on your dart ? Can't remember if you said it.

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/03/15 05:42 PM

My junk`s on C-tracs and sliders w/the 25" ft. segment and have only made 1 crap pass last summer(which I never do)at an 1/8th mile track which netted me a 1.46-1.48 iirc 60ft and a 6.20 at 111+ mph pass. Considering I`m lighter by almost 150 lbs now, on slicks w/lots of changes I don`t think a 6.10 at 112+ and a 9.6? is out of range and will hopefully get out there within a month or two..........
Posted By: Clanton

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/03/15 05:58 PM

Quote:

My junk`s on C-tracs and sliders w/the 25" ft. segment and have only made 1 crap pass last summer(which I never do)at an 1/8th mile track which netted me a 1.46-1.48 iirc 60ft and a 6.20 at 111+ mph pass. Considering I`m lighter by almost 150 lbs now, on slicks w/lots of changes I don`t think a 6.10 at 112+ and a 9.6? is out of range and will hopefully get out there within a month or two..........

Wow my car is 700# heavier than yours with the same 60'on ss springs/slapper bars.I am just saying because a heavy car would need more clamps,tunning depending on the P/W ratio.I was able to find there limits.
Posted By: radar

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/03/15 06:41 PM

I have SS springs on my A-body (72 demon). I have a snubber- it's on the shelf in my garage. It either never touched or banged the hell out of the floor on bumps and I didn't see any improvement or wheel hop either way.

I installed longer rear shackle brackets on my chassis to move the tops of the shackles foreward. I didn't want to move my axle toward the rear with longer front hangers since people made altered wheelbase cars for a reason. With stock shackles and 002/003 springs on my 72 demon the shackles were angled backwards- they rode fine but I learned here that if you get the angle going the right way the shackles help plant the tire when the springs wrap up.

Good luck!

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/03/15 07:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wow my car is 700# heavier than yours with the same 60'on ss springs/slapper bars.I am just saying because a heavy car would need more clamps,tunning depending on the P/W ratio.I was able to find there limits.

Not even close in 60..............been 1.36 back to back my point was the track sucked, it was hot and tires were wore out.
Posted By: G_bob

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/03/15 07:14 PM

Quote:

Fontana has a test and tune scheduled for 2/14.
Looks like they are doing the test and tunes on Saturdays and the street legals on Sunday's this year.

Re: super stock leaf springs - 01/03/15 07:37 PM

MIGHT make that.............
© 2024 Moparts Forums