Moparts

caltrac

Posted By: cesar perez

caltrac - 12/23/14 05:13 AM

to the caltrac gurus what is the best caltrac setup ? with sliders-floaters-stock caltrac setup-or with monoleaf with 4 link setup ?
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: caltrac - 12/23/14 05:57 AM

I like sliders, mono leaf and regular caltracs. I also like real good shocks to control them, like a DA afco or Santhuff.
Posted By: lockjaw-express

Re: caltrac - 12/23/14 06:54 AM

I installed the Calvert sliders today to my SS Leafs and Caltracs, and the sliders cured my binding issues, and the car sits level now...I am still thinking about the Calvert single wheelie bar.

My car is a '69 GTX that I will race this spring, and am going over the rule issues now.
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: caltrac - 12/23/14 07:06 AM

I can't think of any rules where caltracs are a problem. You'll have more problems with the SS springs and caltracs
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: caltrac - 12/23/14 07:14 AM

Someone mentioned that using the longer ft. segment(25")may not fit into the "Stock Location" rules but just what I read.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: caltrac - 12/23/14 07:39 AM

Quote:

Someone mentioned that using the longer ft. segment(25")may not fit into the "Stock Location" rules but just what I read.

Stock suspension racing is dead, they let ladder bars in with no weight pentaly. The only class you can't run a ladder bar is the leaf spring class. They add so many suspension mounting holes to a mustang I would love to see them measured as I know a few that are longer.

Re: caltrac - 12/23/14 10:34 AM

Yes, I talked to John Calvert, and the Mono-leaf would work better, but I will try the SS springs since I do drive the car on the street once in a while.

The rules/inspections are a number issues with Hose clamps, grade 8 bolts and large washers for the battery box, fuel cell, and etc...
Posted By: Clanton

Re: caltrac - 12/23/14 04:57 PM

Quote:

Yes, I talked to John Calvert, and the Mono-leaf would work better, but I will try the SS springs since I do drive the car on the street once in a while.

The rules/inspections are a number issues with Hose clamps, grade 8 bolts and large washers for the battery box, fuel cell, and etc...

I am using SS springs myself with CT this yr for the 1st time.Good luck!

Re: caltrac - 12/23/14 05:18 PM

Quote:

It`s 2014 people why would we even consider the multi-leaf crap is beyond me but it`s your deal. Caltracs at a minimum w/sliders will go a LONG way when tuned in for your car and I don`t know about you guys but I`m about progress NOT regress..............

Re: caltrac - 12/23/14 05:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It`s 2014 people why would we even consider the multi-leaf crap is beyond me but it`s your deal. Caltracs at a minimum w/sliders will go a LONG way when tuned in for your car and I don`t know about you guys but I`m about progress NOT regress..............

If people would be focused on helping people instead of trying to sell them a new car it would be more helpfull.

Re: caltrac - 12/23/14 05:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If people would be focused on helping people instead of trying to sell them a new car it would be more helpfull.

You`re kidding right? Sez the guy w/a blown car on crap springs goin WAY slower than he should........... Too funny.

Just being blunt here and I try to help the best I can WHEN I can but you`ve been fighting your car for years and now to want to remove the blower and start over. You car`s performance has been a bit soft you must admit so not picking on ya just stating the obvious and ONE(1)weak link in a car can be the difference in it`s overall performance...............
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: caltrac - 12/23/14 06:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

People have to learn what the spring does.. what the
front and rear of it does.. the front holds the axle
in location PLUS gives the lift(pushing down on the
axle)... the rear is the spring rate... in racing
we just want the rear to hold the body up.. we dont
want 14 leafs in the rear... if the rear has multi
leafs and is clamped as the body lifts at the hit
the pinion is rolling up giving the lift in the front
BUT it will also pull the back down.. so you have 2
forces fighting each other.. a single leaf in the rear
of the proper rate wont fight as much

Re: caltrac - 12/23/14 06:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You`re kidding right? Sez the guy w/a blown car on crap springs goin WAY slower than he should........... Too funny.

I do what I can and that is my point about the OP.We can not get there all at once.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: caltrac - 12/23/14 06:43 PM

Quote:

I've been running my split mono's with C-T Bars on the street for a few years now. No issues, don't know why there would be any; in fact, they work great because you can back the preload out of the bars and have a nice soft ride. The bars rely on the controlled flex of the split mono's, and transfer that flex into effective motion. I don't see where adding C-T bars to SS springs (which are just plain stiff) will have any effect. (??)

Re: caltrac - 12/23/14 06:44 PM

The sliders are nice.. just keep them clean.. what
MOST people forget is the rubber bushings on old cars
are hard and tend to bind up.. if you run shackles
the old bushings can cause issues.. they can bind
then snap free.. chassis's dont like to be upset..
thats part of the reasons that people really like
the sliders.. they put a new item on the car that
isnt binding... plus the sliders lower the back of
the car and in most cases that helps on traction
(gets the CG down a little more so its easier to get
the front over the CG point)... but if people would
just lube the rubber points now and then it would help

Re: caltrac - 12/23/14 07:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I've been running my split mono's with C-T Bars on the street for a few years now. No issues, don't know why there would be any; in fact, they work great because you can back the preload out of the bars and have a nice soft ride. The bars rely on the controlled flex of the split mono's, and transfer that flex into effective motion. I don't see where adding C-T bars to SS springs (which are just plain stiff) will have any effect. (??)

I can bend my ss like a twizzler[20* pinion up untell the u jount binds],what would a mono do?By the way Calvert told me if I liked my ride height/spring rate I did not need to go to a mono.

Re: caltrac - 12/23/14 07:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I can bend my ss like a twizzler[20* pinion up untell the u jount binds],what would a mono do?By the way Calvert told me if I liked my ride height/spring rate I did not need to go to a mono.

Fightin this all the way.............. Just look at the c-trac design and your q`s will be answered.

Re: caltrac - 12/23/14 07:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Fightin this all the way.............. Just look at the c-trac design and your q`s will be answered.

I was speaking in relation to spring rate that the ss is more in the front segment]I agree to how the C-T work.

Re: caltrac - 12/23/14 07:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It sounds like your SS springs are shot...and yes you
wouldnt need to change the rear segments if your
spring RATE and height are good... they make mono
fronts all sorts of thickness BUT I'm sure he told
you with the CT bars it would work.. the bars act as
a bridge network to stiffen the spring... I assume
you know what a bridge network is).. but basically
its like a ladder bar but that comes to a single point
so it doesnt have anything sliding

Re: caltrac - 12/23/14 07:35 PM

The c-track has a big bolt/sleeve that presses down on the ft. segment so wrap up is non existent where the multi`s don`t and even w/the c-trac bars you`re still dealing w/a mix matched set up............just ask the guys at Calvert...........
Posted By: Leigh

Re: caltrac - 12/23/14 09:26 PM

I tried 002, and 003 SS springs with Caltracs in 1999. Didn't work. The bump valving needs to be pretty stiff, or it will wheelhop like you won't believe. I remember thinking "my overrunning clutch is dieing", as the yoke pounded the floor pan. That was with QA1's set below 50%. That was running 1.45 60's, with 5800 flash.
Posted By: actionange

Re: caltrac - 12/23/14 09:50 PM

I'm using Caltrac bars, mono leafs and QA-1 single adjustable shocks. Stock rear shackles with NEW rubber bushings.
No issues, set the preload (and pretty much forget it) and use the shock adjustment on a given day for track conditions.

Attached picture 8371577-image.jpg
Posted By: 68cuda440

Re: caltrac - 12/24/14 06:19 AM

Quote:

P-Body dude... I have Caltracs and Caltrack mono-leafs. I have brand new rubber bushings in my shackles. What would changing to sliders do for me? How much maintenance will I have to do on them to keep them working?

-Michael

Re: caltrac - 12/24/14 06:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

P-Body dude... I have Caltracs and Caltrack mono-leafs. I have brand new rubber bushings in my shackles. What would changing to sliders do for me? How much maintenance will I have to do on them to keep them working?

-Michael

If you keep the rubber bushings lube they are fine..
the sliders usually lower the back of the car about
1 1/2"... that can help the launch... keeping them
clean is just that.. spray them down with lube once
in a while... by the way I dont care to be called dude..
its just a thing
Posted By: dizuster

Re: caltrac - 12/24/14 06:46 PM

Quote:

1 1/2"/quote]

Depends where you put them. I mounted mine on a plate right next to the frame rail. Exact same ride height. If you had an inboard spring kit, they would actually raise the car slightly.

Attached picture 8372422-IMG_20140605_201059_820.jpg

Re: caltrac - 12/24/14 07:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

1 1/2"/quote]

Depends where you put them. I mounted mine on a plate right next to the frame rail. Exact same ride height. If you had an inboard spring kit, they would actually raise the car slightly.

My ride height didn`t change much ether since I lowered the rear shackles years ago when I moved the springs in and tubbed it.

Re: caltrac - 12/24/14 11:50 PM

Dizuster,

I am looking at the direction of your Calvert spring slider, and I have mine where the "Arrow" that is cut into the top of the slider mount is pointing forward...did I install mine backward?

Thanks for the help.

Mark
Posted By: johnnycuda

Re: caltrac - 12/24/14 11:57 PM

The arrow on the Calvert sliders points forward, with the car at rest, spring bolt should be a little more than half way to the rear of the slot.

Re: caltrac - 12/25/14 12:15 AM

Johnnycuda, Thank you, and I have mine mounted correctly...big relief!

I will try my SS Springs first, and if they don't work out, then I will get the Mono-leafs...I was worried that the Monos would be too stiff for the street, but then again, I don't really drive the car on the street that much.

Re: caltrac - 12/25/14 02:15 AM

1 or 2 of the front leafs may be wider than the stack so you just file/grind to fit the cal trac travel.

Re: caltrac - 12/25/14 02:41 AM

Quote:

The arrow on the Calvert sliders points forward, with the car at rest, spring bolt should be a little more than half way to the rear of the slot.

There`s an arrrow? My directions said nothing about arrows........... My bad, Calvert sliders............

Re: caltrac - 12/25/14 02:47 AM

Quote:

Johnnycuda, Thank you, and I have mine mounted correctly...big relief!

I will try my SS Springs first, and if they don't work out, then I will get the Mono-leafs...I was worried that the Monos would be too stiff for the street, but then again, I don't really drive the car on the street that much.

Been drivin w/em for years just set shocks on softest setting, take away pre-load and go...............
Posted By: 68cuda440

Re: caltrac - 12/25/14 06:24 AM

Quote:

If you keep the rubber bushings lube they are fine..
1 1/2"... that can help the launch... keeping them
clean is just that.. spray them down with lube once
in a while... by the way I dont care to be called dude..
its just a thing

Thanks... Mike...
Posted By: dizuster

Re: caltrac - 12/25/14 07:52 PM

Quote:

Dizuster,

I am looking at the direction of your Calvert spring slider, and I have mine where the "Arrow" that is cut into the top of the slider mount is pointing forward...did I install mine backward?

Thanks for the help.

Mark

I have the speedway motors sliders. No forward/rearward on them.

They are cheap too...

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Heavy-Duty-Chrysler-Type-Leaf-Spring-Sliders,5817.html

Re: caltrac - 12/25/14 07:58 PM

Same here..............
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: caltrac - 12/26/14 01:21 AM

Quote:

I tried 002, and 003 SS springs with Caltracs in 1999. Didn't work. The bump valving needs to be pretty stiff, or it will wheelhop like you won't believe. I remember thinking "my overrunning clutch is dieing", as the yoke pounded the floor pan. That was with QA1's set below 50%. That was running 1.45 60's, with 5800 flash.

I tried the Cal-Trac and SS spring combo and there was a violent confrontation between the two that I'm sure is not healthy on an automatic transmission.There could possibly be a shock package that might tame it down but then you would be close to the same money for the mono's
Gus

Attached picture 8373721-mysavoy.jpg

Re: caltrac - 12/26/14 01:57 AM

Well, I am now sold on the Mono-leafs, and will order them next week, and will not even try to get the SS springs to work.

Thank you for all of the advice!

Mark

Re: caltrac - 12/26/14 02:02 AM

Quote:

Well, I am now sold on the Mono-leafs, and will order them next week, and will not even try to get the SS springs to work.

Thank you for all of the advice!

Mark

Like anything else, once you understand how it works you`ll be way happier.
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: caltrac - 12/28/14 05:05 AM

I also tried that combo on my dart . ss springs and caltrac bars. I tried every adjustment possible over 4 or 5 trips to the track.

It doesnt work !

even got John Calvert on the phone for a few tips. He also told me the Mono leaf has a much higher spring rate than the ss spring.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: caltrac - 12/28/14 05:14 AM

We added Cal Tracs to worn out SS springs once on a low 11 sec car. Car was instantly dead on in 60'/ET, EVERY pass. The SS springs were way worn and the car was all over the place on 60' and thus ET.

Later we, added the mono's just to lower the ride height and nothing changed. 60'/ET still the same, albeit as I said before deadly consistent.

Maybe our deal was different at our (lack of) power at that time???
Posted By: justinp61

Re: caltrac - 12/28/14 06:22 PM

I think consistency is the thing Cal-Tracs add to a car. If a car is sorted out it may not 60' any quicker but it WILL be more consistent. I run them on my street/strip Dart and don't even take the pre load out. Sliders have had my interest for a while now, just haven't committed to buying them yet.
© 2024 Moparts Forums