Moparts

Viking shocks

Posted By: Dave_S

Viking shocks - 12/20/14 07:46 PM

Time for some new shocks to replace my Rancho 9 ways.
Anyone have any first-hand experience with Viking DA shocks?
I know I should get the best shocks I can afford. I can afford these. They seem like good value for the money, made in USA too.
http://vi-king.com/

Dave
Posted By: onig

Re: Viking shocks - 12/20/14 08:08 PM

I know a couple of guys that have them and they are pleased so far.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Viking shocks - 12/20/14 09:30 PM

Mine on the Duster were worth 1/10....Got the double adjustables...Love them.
Posted By: KOS

Re: Viking shocks - 12/20/14 09:36 PM

Quote:

over what???
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Viking shocks - 12/20/14 09:40 PM

I put mine to the test in early Nov. on a slimey 50* track. 60's were mid 1.50's so I loosened ext and tightened compression and went right back to the normal 1.46. These are on the rear of my leaf spring car.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Viking shocks - 12/20/14 10:44 PM

just like anything else, people who have bought them will swear by them especially if they have never used a quality shock. I seen a difference going to a strange double adjustable from a cheap single adjustable. can't imagine what it would do going to a real quality shock like Santhuff
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Viking shocks - 12/20/14 10:57 PM

Quote:

just like anything else, people who have bought them will swear by them especially if they have never used a quality shock. I seen a difference going to a strange double adjustable from a cheap single adjustable. can't imagine what it would do going to a real quality shock like Santhuff

Tony not everyone needs the big dollar shocks.. if
its a BIG torque engine then probably so but mid stream
shocks can do fine on lesser power... its a balance
of what is needed
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Viking shocks - 12/20/14 11:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

of what is needed

I don't think thats true, I would love to have a set of santhuff's. do I need them who knows, but I bet they would help over my strange shocks. bet they would make me even more consistent. it's more about what you can afford over the everybody doesn't need them deal.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Viking shocks - 12/20/14 11:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

of what is needed

The OP said he bought what he could afford. I'd like to try a pair on my Dart.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Viking shocks - 12/20/14 11:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

of what is needed

Sorry disagree here. A Santhuff shock will work better then other shocks period. It will make it work better on bad tracks, good tracks etc. Can he get away with a lesser shock I would bet yes, but I believe it would be faster with a better shock. As stated get what you can afford and are comfortable with spending, me I will always just wait till I save my money for a quality shock.
Posted By: D-50

Re: Viking shocks - 12/20/14 11:29 PM

Do they make a Double adjustable front shock ? I need some, I am running the Caltrac front shocks now and I believe they are too loose.

Re: Viking shocks - 12/20/14 11:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

of what is needed

Sorry disagree here. A Santhuff shock will work better then other shocks period. It will make it work better on bad tracks, good tracks etc. Can he get away with a lesser shock I would bet yes, but I believe it would be faster with a better shock. As stated get what you can afford and are comfortable with spending, me I will always just wait till I save my money for a quality shock.

Well guys I guess we will agree to disagree... I'm
not gonna get into any arguments and I cant prove
anything because I have never owned Santhuff shocks
and I dont plan on it in the near future.. to each
their own I guess

Re: Viking shocks - 12/21/14 12:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

of what is needed

their own I guess

So you are going to tell him he doesn't need it yet you have no experience with it. He is going 144 in a 3400 lbs car, how much hp do you need to have before you benefit from good shocks. Lol

Re: Viking shocks - 12/21/14 12:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

of what is needed

their own I guess

So you are going to tell him he doesn't need it yet you have no experience with it. He is going 144 in a 3400 lbs car, how much hp do you need to have before you benefit from good shocks. Lol

Well since you own the shock maybe you should tell
him what he needs... I'll just shut up.. is that OK

Re: Viking shocks - 12/21/14 12:42 AM

I don't own either shock, I have custom valved Mark Menscer DA afco shocks. On my 3200 lbs car it was night and day when I got the shocks revalved from Mark. I had afco DA from afco and was going 9.50s, then got them redone and went 9.40s. But the biggest difference is how the car just flat out works on any track now. Went from 1.40-1.50 60 ft to 1.31-5 now. Best money I spent on my car as it is more fun to drive, because it works.
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Viking shocks - 12/21/14 02:30 AM

D-50, if you're talking about the Vikings, yes and DA is all they make. That being said I have a set of front shocks from them under the Christmas tree right now and I wonder if they're right for my car.

I have Calverts on my car now and they are a little too loose and was thinking of putting the old CE's back on.

Compared to the CE's, the Vikings on the loosest setting seem only slightly looser(on extension) than the CE's (90/10 setting) nonetheless they will add some much needed control especially on compression.
I looked into Afco and couldn't bring myself to drop $700 on a pair of shocks even though I believe the adjustability would be better.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Viking shocks - 12/21/14 04:20 AM

I am wondering if I can go from drag to handling with these shocks and how they compare to the QA1's. Anyone actually dyno'd or track tested multiple high end adjustable shocks? People are talking about what they have but this level of shocks are expensive enough that not many people can afford to just swap to try them out. Tim
Posted By: Dyno1

Re: Viking shocks - 12/21/14 05:43 AM

Made and assembled are two different things.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Viking shocks - 12/21/14 06:59 AM

Quote:

With them properly adjusted...Had the car scaled, so the springs were set correctly, but the valving is something you need to do at TNT. We set them up as best we could in the garage, but it takes track time to figure out what the car wants...So once I got them dialed in, what a difference on both ends of the track. Very stable, and I am very happy with them.
Posted By: fbs63

Re: Viking shocks - 12/21/14 04:42 PM

They also make a Crusader shock which from what I am told uses needle and orifice damping much like Santhuff's design. They are a higher resistance shock.
Posted By: 68roadrunner

Re: Viking shocks - 12/21/14 05:03 PM

if you have a decent shock already, you can have your old one dynod along with the new one so you can start off where you was with the old one

dont know if this is practical with the rancho of the op

no first hand experiance, but the vickings are supposed to be decent
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Viking shocks - 12/21/14 08:22 PM

Shocks are an area where you VERY MUCH get what you pay for. If you can only afford a $500 set of shocks, that's what you get and what brand you buy likely won't matter.

If you are thinking there is something "special" about some company and you are going to get GOOD shock performance from a cheap shock..............well, it is NOT going to happen.

I doubt you can name more than a few brands of shocks I have never worked with. Good shocks work better and are more tunable and reliable, period..........end of story

And I don't agree that power should be your determining factor. A shock don't know power, It knows how hard and fast you are attempting to move it. Some very low powered stockers leave VERY hard and 60ft very well in spite of running pretty slow. Regardless of ET, you MUST control the housing and front end.

So to the OP, if Vikings are all you can afford, buy them, they will be fine. They are DA and will be better than a single

Monte
Posted By: Dave_S

Re: Viking shocks - 12/21/14 11:33 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure they will be better than what I have now. I will hold off buying them for a few months. If I can scrape up some more cash I will look into some Afcos

Dave
Posted By: one bad fish

Re: Viking shocks - 12/22/14 01:33 AM

Santhuffs r # 1
© 2024 Moparts Forums