Moparts

Silverback carburetor

Posted By: slammedR/T

Silverback carburetor - 12/20/14 12:20 AM

Silverback Carburetor

Anyone seen these yet? and comments on it? looks VERY! promising
Posted By: mickm

Re: Silverback carburetor - 12/20/14 12:29 AM

i only know a little about carb design, but this looks awesome. i would think it would either be amazing, or a total flop, one of the two.

Re: Silverback carburetor - 12/20/14 12:33 AM

Looks very cool, I see it will be submitted to some engine testers for dyno results and real world numbers.
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: Silverback carburetor - 12/20/14 12:36 AM

Some of the claims are laughable, hype machine at work!

Variable venturi carbs have been around for several decades.
Posted By: d-150

Re: Silverback carburetor - 12/20/14 12:43 AM

if it atomizes fuel as good as injectors this would be awesome
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Silverback carburetor - 12/20/14 01:04 AM

I worked at a carb company part time that made carbs
for motorcycles.. it had a slide also.. it wasnt magic
either.. I dont see how they can claim a better atomization
over a injector... pressure does wonders
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Silverback carburetor - 12/20/14 01:18 AM

There's a fine line to walk between completely evaporating the fuel and getting it into suspension in the airstream so it exists in little droplets.
When the fuel evaporates it takes up space that could be air molecules, costing power. That's why LPG engines generally have less power than the same gas engine, at least until the LPG is injected in liquid form into the airstream.

R.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Silverback carburetor - 12/20/14 02:35 AM

Quote:

There's a fine line to walk between completely evaporating the fuel and getting it into suspension in the airstream so it exists in little droplets.
When the fuel evaporates it takes up space that could be air molecules, costing power. That's why LPG engines generally have less power than the same gas engine, at least until the LPG is injected in liquid form into the airstream.

R.

- over-atomization can happen. They are trying to address carb short comings though. Who's gonna be first??? They sure aint cheap. I did e-mail them and asked if they do / will make a blow-through version.

Re: Silverback carburetor - 12/20/14 02:44 AM

I will say this, technology has made old concepts that didn't work at all work really good now.
Remember cylinder deactivation on cadillacs back in the 80's PURE GARBAGE! now almost every car made has it and it works almost flawlessly and greatly improves fuel milage.
I say lets give it a shot in the hands of experts and see what it does, they will find out real quick if it is junk.

Just saw the pricing on thier website nevermind my pro systems carb ain't going anywhere!
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Silverback carburetor - 12/20/14 03:09 AM

Saw them at SEMA. Interesting for sure and they were REALLY proud of them.

Re: Silverback carburetor - 12/20/14 04:07 AM

Quote:

Just saw the pricing on thier website nevermind my pro systems carb ain't going anywhere!

For the money you can get several bolt on EFI units.

Carbs are pretty much dead tech, these guys don't have a prayer at a $2500 price point. Guys coming in to hotrodding now have little to no interest in dino age fuel mixers either.
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: Silverback carburetor - 12/20/14 04:12 AM

My 50 year old scooters used slide carbs, not a new concept.

Attached picture 8367767-Carbs.jpg
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: Silverback carburetor - 12/20/14 04:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Carbs are pretty much dead tech, these guys don't have a prayer at a $2500 price point. Guys coming in to hotrodding now have little to no interest in dino age fuel mixers either.

I totally agree. $2,500 (or less) will buy you a complete, self-learning bolt-on EFI kit.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Silverback carburetor - 12/20/14 04:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I totally agree. $2,500 (or less) will buy you a complete, self-learning bolt-on EFI kit.

Ya, well, they might be dino age, but just remember, some of the fastest door slammers around AINT runnin fuel infection.
Posted By: dthemi

Re: Silverback carburetor - 12/20/14 05:14 AM

Having never used, or even held one I'll go out on a limb and say.....shinny, complicated, POS lol

Re: Silverback carburetor - 12/20/14 05:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Totally agree, I was like cool till i saw the pricing, I would rather spend that money on a holley dominator EFI that is way more adjustable for any combo I want to build. That carb can't richen fuel with nitrous activation or boost increase, EFI can
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Silverback carburetor - 12/20/14 05:50 AM

Their was a thread on yellow bullet and the carb guys tore these claims a new B...hole.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Silverback carburetor - 12/20/14 12:21 PM

well I like the external adjustments. kind of reminds me of our Jr Drag racing days. I used a tillotson carb that had external jet adjustments. where I could tune the car each race to conditions. everyone hated those carbs but I wore their butts out with that carb and it was just as fast as their fancy slide carbs. but for the price forget it and good luck

Re: Silverback carburetor - 12/20/14 02:15 PM

Quote:

Ya, well, they might be dino age, but just remember, some of the fastest door slammers around AINT runnin fuel infection.

How much faster would they be running with dedicated EFI manifolds and fuel injection?

Lots of classes have carbs mandatory, EFI isn't an option.
Posted By: dthemi

Re: Silverback carburetor - 12/20/14 03:01 PM

Well you have to hand to them for at least having the political good sense to name it after the first lady.
Posted By: 451Cuda

Re: Silverback carburetor - 12/20/14 03:04 PM

I'd be skeptical of their claims even if it cost the same as a new Holley.

My prediction: company failure, and the few that actually got sold become novelty items at swap meets.
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: Silverback carburetor - 12/20/14 03:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, then you can be the first to print up tee shirts that say, "INJECTION IS NICE, BUT I'D RATHER BE CARBED".
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Silverback carburetor - 12/20/14 03:36 PM

Quote:

Well you have to hand to them for at least having the political good sense to name it after the first lady.

Re: Silverback carburetor - 12/20/14 03:40 PM

I think Nascar was the first to open up to injection
and other forms of racing are coming around... that
carb sure looks trick but I dont want trick, I want
function... I think I might be firing up my injection
today or tomorrow
Posted By: fbs63

Re: Silverback carburetor - 12/20/14 04:04 PM

As stated above, for the $ you can have Efi. They are 30 years to late.
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: Silverback carburetor - 12/20/14 04:23 PM

I know of a guy that was running modern injection and bought one of these because he was promised more power.
Extremely atomized fuel isn't always the answer.
Some engines like larger droplet size. How much heat is in the manifold has an affect on it.
Keith

Re: Silverback carburetor - 12/20/14 04:32 PM

We went through a ton of testing to get the right
pattern on the injectors and where that pattern hits
and how much hits each zone of the pattern as well
as droplet size... plus I like that the engine talks
to the fuel system to correct it if needed
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Silverback carburetor - 12/20/14 08:36 PM

Quote:

As stated above, for the $ you can have Efi. They are 30 years to late.

Dead product, this carb aint going anywhere, but down.

Re: Silverback carburetor - 12/20/14 09:11 PM

Quote:

Wait till we get Direct injection into the racing mix, that will be even better fuel control than our EFI now.

Re: Silverback carburetor - 12/20/14 10:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wait till we get Direct injection into the racing mix, that will be even better fuel control than our EFI now.

I was JUST starting to look at direct when I retired..
thats gonna have some SERIOUS injection pressure
Posted By: moparx

Re: Silverback carburetor - 12/21/14 04:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I was JUST starting to look at direct when I retired..
thats gonna have some SERIOUS injection pressure

i have heard 2200# ??????
© 2024 Moparts Forums