Moparts

MP Hemi X-RAM - Intake bolt / Machining Question

Posted By: SSAAHemiFan

MP Hemi X-RAM - Intake bolt / Machining Question - 11/24/14 01:51 AM

I have the MP intake and MP intake bolt kit (P4529330) - all the bolts in the kit are the same length 3"

The countersunk wells inside the intake vary from .210 - .455 deep - with no 2 the same depth

This is causing the exposed length of the bolts to vary from 1/2" to over 1"

I was always told as long as you have thread engagement equal to the diameter of the bolt it is fine ?

Just doesn't look correct to me - So is the machine work off or is the bolt kit incorrect ?

MP didn't put much thought into the kit as 2 of the bolts that don't go thru the inside of the intake are way too long

I wanted to ask before I start modifying anything

Attached picture 8339930-DSCF0036-Copy.JPG

Re: MP Hemi X-RAM - Intake bolt / Machining Question - 11/24/14 01:53 AM

overall pic

Attached picture 8339936-DSCF0035-Copy.JPG
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: MP Hemi X-RAM - Intake bolt / Machining Question - 11/24/14 01:58 AM

I would look at putting the short ones up front closes to the water pump and the longs one back towards the rear of the block that's the way the original M.W. bolts went in Let us know what you find out and do to take care of this
Posted By: Sammy

Re: MP Hemi X-RAM - Intake bolt / Machining Question - 11/24/14 03:03 AM

Send them in and don' cut anything or modify, you'll be fine unless the manifold was milled, you should be good to go.
As long as you don't bottom out you're golden.
Even having 4 or 5 threads showing is fine. If you feel it pulling down you're OK.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: MP Hemi X-RAM - Intake bolt / Machining Question - 11/24/14 04:33 PM

Yes, the overpriced MP crossram bolt kit is junk and doesn't fit anything. You are going to have to cut and fit each bolt to each hole. And I would want more than 1/4" of engagement, especially if you have aluminum heads.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: MP Hemi X-RAM - Intake bolt / Machining Question - 11/24/14 09:41 PM

You can go to most any bolt supplier and buy 50 to 100 for just a few bucks.Try and buy them with at least 1/4" unthreaded shoulder and cut them to size,try and get 3/8" thread engagement.The high doller MPs with full thread tend to snap just below the heads if thightened to much.Alo you can get them with 5/16 and 1/4 twelve point heads and eliminate the pesky allen heads.
Posted By: Hemi ragtop

Re: MP Hemi X-RAM - Intake bolt / Machining Question - 11/25/14 02:14 AM

It sounds too easy, but look on Granger's web site. They have a great selection of bolts and studs and they are quality pieces, 120,000 lb separation strength, shoulder bolts and studs, etc. I went to them when I studded my inline intake.
Just a suggestion.

Attached picture 8341001-DSCN1149.JPG

Re: MP Hemi X-RAM - Intake bolt / Machining Question - 11/25/14 05:47 PM

The biggest problem we find is the seats in the manifold are at diffrent depths.Set the manifold in place and probe each hole in the intake and head for proper length.Do not bottom the bolts in the head as you may pull the threads.The problem with studing the intake is the angle causes binding when trying to install the intake manifold.We usually use two long bolts at the front and back outside corners of the manifold and just start the threads as we lower the manifold to properly position it,then we start all inside ones.

Re: MP Hemi X-RAM - Intake bolt / Machining Question - 11/26/14 04:29 AM

Bob/Rick - Thanks again for the info - especially about the bolts breaking - I guess I am glad they didn't fit

I measured each seperately and will custom cut each one as you suggested - I am going to replace them all with new - quality bolts

Thank Goodness I didn't pay anywhere near the $200 they want now

Re: MP Hemi X-RAM - Intake bolt / Machining Question - 11/26/14 01:58 PM

We bought a box of 100 grade eight 1/4" bolts with 12 point heads from our local supplier for $39.
© 2024 Moparts Forums