Moparts

ULTRASONIC CLEANERS...............

Posted By: Thumperdart

ULTRASONIC CLEANERS............... - 11/23/14 07:13 PM

I`ve been using one to clean my carbs and man what a difference it makes. Anyone else mess w/these things?
Posted By: bonefish

Re: ULTRASONIC CLEANERS............... - 11/23/14 07:34 PM

ive used them in my business for the last 40 years.

Re: ULTRASONIC CLEANERS............... - 11/23/14 07:36 PM

I put a "clean" carb part in and after that NO carb will ever be built any other way from here on out.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: ULTRASONIC CLEANERS............... - 11/23/14 07:36 PM

What is the typical application of one? Sounds like a great idea for all of the anodized aluminum stuff.

Re: ULTRASONIC CLEANERS............... - 11/23/14 07:37 PM

Generally gun parts, cases etc, jewelery and other small items and even has a heat cycle...........
Posted By: bonefish

Re: ULTRASONIC CLEANERS............... - 11/23/14 07:45 PM

Quote:

What is the typical application of one? Sounds like a great idea for all of the anodized aluminum stuff.

they are typically used in the medical field on reusable surgical tools before autoclave.it gets all the STUFF out of crevaces.nowadays just about everything is disposable.i used them in tattooing,but there again now everything is disposable.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: ULTRASONIC CLEANERS............... - 11/23/14 08:23 PM

Quote:

Most of us "gun guys" use them for cleaning cases before reloading ammo. They make them in various sizes. Check your local Cabellas, Bass Pro, Dick's, Gander Mountain, etc

Monte
Posted By: herkamer

Re: ULTRASONIC CLEANERS............... - 11/23/14 09:35 PM

I bought the el-cheapo Harbor freight one to rebuild the 3 carbs on my Six Pack Demon. Read about ultrasonic cleaners online and figured $60 was cheap enough to try. Used very hot water with some Simple Green Pro. Doesn't harm the aluminum like regular Simple Green will. 8 min cycles cleaned every part like brand new. I will probably look at buying a bigger unit because you can't get a 4 barrel into this one. For sure, there is no better way to clean them!
Posted By: RT540

Re: ULTRASONIC CLEANERS............... - 11/23/14 09:44 PM

Use solvents that don't extracts zink.
Many high pH (11-13) solvents will attack alum. Zink and brass. Most Alkali solvents should not be used with alum.
I am not a chemist, but work with big cabin washer for pre-treatment in painting process.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: ULTRASONIC CLEANERS............... - 11/24/14 04:37 PM

I have a small one for rods etc. but I want one big enough for a block.
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: ULTRASONIC CLEANERS............... - 11/27/14 08:36 AM

Quote:

Many high pH (11-13) solvents will attack alum. Zink and brass. Most Alkali solvents should not be used with alum.
I am not a chemist, but work with big cabin washer for pre-treatment in painting process.

Also, don't use low pH cleaners either (1-4) because they will dissolve the metals. Something near neutral would be safest (5-9) like dish soap and maybe some rubbing alcohol? p.s. I am a chemist
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: ULTRASONIC CLEANERS............... - 11/27/14 08:47 AM

Thanks for the tips guys, I am in the market for one and I hadn't really thought about what cleaning solution to use for different jobs.

Re: ULTRASONIC CLEANERS............... - 11/27/14 08:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Most of us "gun guys" use them for cleaning cases before reloading ammo. They make them in various sizes. Check your local Cabellas, Bass Pro, Dick's, Gander Mountain, etc

Monte

Are you saying my walnut shell filled tumbler is obsolete?

Is there a non-harbor freight brand that we like more than others?
Posted By: markz528

Re: ULTRASONIC CLEANERS............... - 11/27/14 04:29 PM

I am a big fan of ultrasonic cleaners. When I worked at a COOP job in the eighties, we made small ones for the dental industry. They gave me one that I still use today. Its not super strong but it works pretty good.

We used ammonia with hot water for the solution. I don't know the pros and cons of using ammonia.

The way we would test the strength of an ultrasonic cleaner is to use aluminum foil and time for how long it would take to make holes in the foil. Does not take long - the learning there is that the ultrasonic cleaner will attack aluminum. I just don't leave parts like carbs in it too long. Have had great success bringing small snowblower carbs back to life with the ultrasonic cleaner.

In the industrial world we have a large problem with carbon being trapped in the commutator and behind the riser on large DC motors. Almost impossible to get the carbon out, and usually you just dilute it and make it worse when you clean it.

For many years I have been advocating use of an ultrasonic cleaner to get the carbon out. Started some trials about 5 years ago and results were quite promising. Could not get the repair shops to bite on the idea though until very recently. Last few weeks 2 motor repair shops ordered large ultrasonic cleaners.
Posted By: herkamer

Re: ULTRASONIC CLEANERS............... - 11/27/14 06:57 PM

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Simple-Green-...13421/100550784

After looking online at what others were using, this is what I used for my trial run on the 6 pack carbs and worked very well. It is not corrosive to metal.
Posted By: ademon

Re: ULTRASONIC CLEANERS............... - 11/27/14 07:08 PM

we have a large ultra sonic cleaner at work that i would use. I really was amazing how well it worked.
Posted By: RT540

Re: ULTRASONIC CLEANERS............... - 11/27/14 07:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Also, don't use low pH cleaners either (1-4) because they will dissolve the metals. Something near neutral would be safest (5-9) like dish soap and maybe some rubbing alcohol? p.s. I am a chemist

Yes both high and low pH are both aggressiv for alum.
We only build the cabin washers and the end customer decides which chem. Company to buy from.
We do work close with the chemist to make the best end result.
Three big companys we work close with are Chemetall, Henkel and Candor.

Re: ULTRASONIC CLEANERS............... - 11/27/14 07:43 PM

Quote:

After looking online at what others were using, this is what I used for my trial run on the 6 pack carbs and worked very well. It is not corrosive to metal.

Think I`ll give that a try since others have reported great results from it...............
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: ULTRASONIC CLEANERS............... - 11/27/14 07:53 PM

Quote:

I owned a airplane until 2006 when it was total by a hail storm while parked on the ground. I was told by multiple A&P FAA certified mechanics to not use Simple Green on any alumimun parts on the airplane Maybe this stuff isn't that destructive to aluminum due to a change in the formula, it is not green like the original was back then Be safe

Re: ULTRASONIC CLEANERS............... - 11/27/14 07:58 PM

Cab there is regular green Simple Green and then there is the blue "HD Pro" stuff that is okay to use on metal.
Posted By: John Brown

Re: ULTRASONIC CLEANERS............... - 11/27/14 09:45 PM

Ultrasonic cleaners can break down some solvents too. Be sure the solvent you are using won't break down to a poisonous gas during the cleaning process.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: ULTRASONIC CLEANERS............... - 11/28/14 07:40 AM

Why not order the solution with the cleaner? That way you know it works and not some toxic home brew. Also make sure you turn off the machine before you stick your hands in, we had a guy at work who didn't and his hand turned purple because of the blown blood vessels. Tim
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: ULTRASONIC CLEANERS............... - 11/29/14 04:40 PM

I bought one E-bay for medical use to clean my AVS carbs. It worked great, used a mix of mineral spirits and ATF. It works well for nuts/bolts, etc.

Re: ULTRASONIC CLEANERS............... - 11/29/14 05:19 PM

Quote:

Why not order the solution with the cleaner? That way you know it works and not some toxic home brew. Also make sure you turn off the machine before you stick your hands in, we had a guy at work who didn't and his hand turned purple because of the blown blood vessels. Tim

I bought their powder cleaner but it`s not the best for zinc and other metals and as far as "home brew", I know many using some stuff recommended on here and other safe products.
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: ULTRASONIC CLEANERS............... - 11/30/14 08:35 AM

I was thinking about a bleach and ammonia mix

Re: ULTRASONIC CLEANERS............... - 11/30/14 08:38 AM

Quote:

Chlorene gas will clean out your nostrils as well as your lungs All kidding aside, I have made that mistake twice in the past NOT GOOD, Don't do that

Re: ULTRASONIC CLEANERS............... - 11/30/14 05:10 PM

Quote:

After all of the crap I`ve been through, this would be a cake walk and could probably bathe in it.

Re: ULTRASONIC CLEANERS............... - 11/30/14 10:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

After all of the crap I`ve been through, this would be a cake walk and could probably bathe in it.

Only once

Re: ULTRASONIC CLEANERS............... - 11/30/14 10:56 PM

Stronger than 31 teargass bombs?
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: ULTRASONIC CLEANERS............... - 12/01/14 12:29 AM

We use some blue stuff at work. I'll check the brand when I get in tomorrow.

Re: ULTRASONIC CLEANERS............... - 12/01/14 05:25 AM

Quote:

Stronger than 31 teargass bombs?

Much, much more dangerous than tear gas Chlorine gas was used in WW1 to kill thousands of soldiers on both sides I'm not sure of the mix to make it deadly but I know I don't want anymore to do with mixing any strength bleach and amonia
© 2024 Moparts Forums