Moparts

T-Stat question

Posted By: chrisnben

T-Stat question - 11/20/14 01:20 AM

here's my thought for today- Why, when tested in a pan on the stove does a 180 degree thermostat open at 200? I tested two different ones- same result.
Things that make you crazy
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: T-Stat question - 11/20/14 01:40 AM

Because for the most part........a thermostat is VERY inaccurate apparatus...........LOL!!!......as you see.

Monte
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: T-Stat question - 11/20/14 01:42 AM

Cheap stats are hit or miss. A good US made part should be close. Is your thermometer any good? At 200*, the water should be about starting to boil. And unless you put it under pressure, you can't get water above 212*.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: T-Stat question - 11/20/14 03:27 AM

If it is a a 180 stat that means it just barely starts to open at 180, it may be hard to see it starting to open with your face in a pan of hot steamy water, most of them will not be fully open till around 200. Even if you pull it out of the pan at 180* the open crack would be very small and the stat will be cooled a few degrees before you get it close enough to see the crack and probably closed.
Posted By: ademon

Re: T-Stat question - 11/20/14 03:42 AM

Quote:

If it is a a 180 stat that means it just barely starts to open at 180, it may be hard to see it starting to open with your face in a pan of hot steamy water, most of them will not be fully open till around 200. Even if you pull it out of the pan at 180* the open crack would be very small and the stat will be cooled a few degrees before you get it close enough to see the crack and probably closed.

when I test mine I notice when you cycle it the subsequent times it opens wider at 180, not fully but close.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: T-Stat question - 11/20/14 06:09 PM

Quote:

here's my thought for today- Why, when tested in a pan on the stove does a 180 degree thermostat open at 200? I tested two different ones- same result.
Things that make you crazy

They should start to open then be fully opened at the stamped rating.............SHOULD. I boil all of mine and Stant are the best but harder to find.
Posted By: chrisnben

Re: T-Stat question - 11/20/14 06:47 PM

First one is a 440source 180; second is a NAPA superstat 180. I'm going to check with another thermometer today. The control was a meat thermometer, but was accurate at opening on both at 200 exactly. Report tonight.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: T-Stat question - 11/20/14 07:06 PM

Oh, yeah, the high accuracy meat thermometer. All you know from your tests is they are consistent in opening temperature. Just a few degrees of ta turn of the head relative to the shaft and the meat thermometer isn't zeroed anymore.

R.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: T-Stat question - 11/20/14 07:31 PM

Which type of thermostat, standard or heavy duty with the schroud liket the motor homes came with? I like to buy and use the M.H type 160 degrees for the reason your seeing, slow opening
© 2024 Moparts Forums