Moparts

a story of a not-so-disabled racer and his friends

Posted By: blue_stocker

a story of a not-so-disabled racer and his friends - 11/17/14 12:04 AM

check this out and consider how truly blessed we are AND how we can bless and help those around us...

I found this link on Craigslist but that led to this great story... enjoy and be encouraged!

http://geocities.ws/doclavinder

http://salem.craigslist.org/cto/4697087774.html

Just as a side-note... for you who don't see my perspective of 'not-so-disabled': when people have physical problems, we who might not are 'disabled' physically can sometimes be disabled mentally, defeating ourselves, been there myself. This story of 'Doc' and his friends is one that brings the truth of real friendship home! Please read the entire story, thanks.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: a story of a not-so-disabled racer and his friends - 11/17/14 02:08 AM

That's a darn nice looking Rambler.
Posted By: BradH

Re: a story of a not-so-disabled racer and his friends - 11/17/14 02:55 PM

There was a story on Doc and The Severely Disabled Chicken Coop in one of the drag racing magazines many years ago.
Posted By: Duster3105

Re: a story of a not-so-disabled racer and his friends - 11/17/14 07:20 PM

Wow!
At my Rheumatologists, there is a young lady that has had Juvenile RA since she was 3, she was the one who coached/mentored me when I was diagnosed and sitting in OSU Rheumatology feeling sorry.for myself, she is one of the strongest people I have ever had the privilege to be friends with. I still work everyday and race when i can afford to. I owe a lot to this young lady.
Posted By: 67Satty

Re: a story of a not-so-disabled racer and his friends - 11/17/14 08:16 PM

Cool story, thanks!
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: a story of a not-so-disabled racer and his friends - 11/17/14 10:48 PM

The guy had it ruff, but did whatever it took to race. Very inspirational!
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: a story of a not-so-disabled racer and his friends - 11/18/14 12:29 AM

I remember reading about the dude in national dragster when he was racing. RIP

How many of us can say our car was in the Peterson museum for 10 years?
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: a story of a not-so-disabled racer and his friends - 11/18/14 04:29 PM

I was fortunate enough to know Doc, and race with him. Hes very good, and a good guy to boot. He is missed.
Posted By: madscientist

Re: a story of a not-so-disabled racer and his friends - 11/19/14 03:12 AM

I was told RA is not for sissy's.

I proved that wrong
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: a story of a not-so-disabled racer and his friends - 11/19/14 08:50 PM

I used to do a little racing against a man named Dave Moore in the early '80s both at Bremerton and Pacific Raceways (then known as SIR). As long as I have known him he has been in a wheelchair and drove his car with hand controls. He used to drive a '68 Barracuda to the track, jack it up and put on the slicks, drop the exhaust and then climb in the car and beat me every time. He did it all by himself. I have attached a photo of his latest ride, a sweet Duster with a 5.7 Hemi. He engineered it and his BIL, Tom Shrum, built it. The picture was taken at Bremerton a couple years back. Just shows you what a little determination can do

Attached picture 8336070-DaveMoore2011.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums