Moparts

Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better?

Posted By: hudsonhornet7x

Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/11/14 02:44 AM

If someone was building a gen III motor, for the street- is there a better choice between the two?

How about cost? Is one cheaper than the other?
Posted By: AlexP

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/11/14 03:00 AM

Some will argue that the carb is cheaper. While some have nice fancy carbs that play the role well, the Hemi was designed via port configuration for efi.

It's more expensive to cost drive ability and efficiency. Power is moot but the other two will suffer in most combinations.

I've got less than $1500 in my efi with computer and wideband. I know it will fire the first time and I don't have to run a side computer for timing. Others will argue but that's my stance.
Posted By: HEMIDARTS

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/11/14 03:07 AM

Quote:

Some will argue that the carb is cheaper. While some have nice fancy carbs that play the role well, the Hemi was designed via port configuration for efi.

It's more expensive to cost drive ability and efficiency. Power is moot but the other two will suffer in most combinations.

I've got less than $1500 in my efi with computer and wideband. I know it will fire the first time and I don't have to run a side computer for timing. Others will argue but that's my stance.

Can you give us a detailed run down of what exactly you used, and what you had to update on the car to use those items?

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/11/14 03:24 AM

Efi source ms3x $1299
Innovate mtx-l wideband $150

6 wire hookup, comes preloaded with a start up time. It's the easiest way to run a modern Hemi.

You still need a fuel system with a high pressure pump, but most people can run what they have. 3/8 line will supply what most are doing with these builds. I've got less than $250 In my fuel system, but I already had 1/2" stainless feed and return lines from my carbed days. I bought them really cheap on sale from a fine lines Xmas sale.
Posted By: Moparmal

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/11/14 03:36 AM

I agree with AlexP....only a fool would argue that a carb set up is more efficient.

Cost is line ball....didnt use to be but there are more efi options around now......
To get a carb set up on a Gen 3 working properly, you're either compensating for ineffecient intake manifolds or running a race set up out ofthe hood........and sometimes BOTH.

Most guys who run carbs are either doing it for the looks....or simply prefer old school tuning processes.

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/11/14 03:37 AM

Thank you for the information Alex.

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/11/14 03:44 AM

Was it Zippy that talked about the 392 crate program? I seem to remember that the efi made 540 or something and the carb was 600-ish?

I wonder what the story on that was.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/11/14 03:47 AM

Quote:

Was it Zippy that talked about the 392 crate program? I seem to remember that the efi made 540 or something and the carb was 600-ish?

I would say poor EFI tuning with a 60hp difference

Monte

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/11/14 03:59 AM

Quote:

I could only see that happening if it was a big cam motor with the factory EFI vs the Ritter/Drag Pak intake...and even then, peak HP is only part of the story.......
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/11/14 04:01 AM

IMHO for a street car, EFI is the way to go. Put it down to driveability.

R.

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/11/14 04:18 AM

Quote:

IMHO for a street car, EFI is the way to go. Put it down to driveability.

R.

I would agree with this and also add any race car to that as well. EFI is the way to go. Wouldn't matter to me if I never saw another carb........LOL!!!

I even have EFI on my 74 beater Jeep and my jetboat...........love it.

Monte
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/11/14 04:27 AM

Anymore,depending on what you start with core wise, it isn't cheaper to go carb. $700 intake, $500 carb, and $5-600 ignition setup. Yeah the car might already be set up for carb but still....A stock 6.1 intake will kill anything else power wise other than a Drag Pak but you put a $350 throttle body on those too.
Posted By: Uhcoog1

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/11/14 04:43 AM

Quote:

Different intake for sure. Don't know if the tunes were both optimized or not.

In my opinion, the intake used is more important than carb vs efi for WOT power. The intakes worth using IMO are the factory efi intakes (for wide powerband and more torque below 5000 rpm- may not be as strong above 6000 vs drag pak), and the drag pak / muscle motors intake (shorter runners).

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/11/14 04:55 AM

OK I can really see the points of a EFI setup. Is there one out there that will work with a 6.4 engine and wont be too hard to install? Maybe plug and play?

This will be for a high school shop project and can't be too complicated lol. The teacher is from the stone age!

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/11/14 05:11 AM

If using a stock 6.4 with VVT I highly recommend Modern Muscle for a plug and play factory ECU setup that even uses the factory DBW throttle body.
Posted By: Barry70GTX

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/11/14 03:17 PM

You're not going to run a stock engine.

In that case you will either have the steep learning curve to tune it, or you will be paying someone to do it.

That has held me back from EFI.

It's about a grand to get one tuned on the chassis dyno here.
Then if you want to change the combination, get the checkbook out again.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/11/14 03:45 PM

several factors to consider here;
what are you starting with? Intake system complete, a lot of carb stuff, or nothing?
Which do YOU want? I would love the 2x4 intake early Hemi look, but don't like the hassle of carbs.
I am having a hard time coming up with a scoop or hood bulge that I can live with on the car I want to put this in, the factory barrel intake will fit. But then I loose the open hood look of the 2x4 carbs.
Fuel injection is the overall power and drivability king, period. Only a customized race package can do better with the carb, due to the narrow power band they can set the car up for. Even then, I don't see the carb having any edge because of the tune ability of EFI and almost zero WOT vacuum.
There are only two race systems I like; First, Constant flow fuel injection, because it is so stupid simple and reliable. Second, custom EFI. All the advantages of modern engineering are right there.
Someone once described the carb as a wonderful device made to deliver the wrong amount of fuel at the wrong time. That description made me laugh, because when you look at all the band aid engineering in a barb to alter fuel delivery, it is spot on
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/11/14 05:14 PM

Greg, did you buy that intake yet? I want to see it
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/11/14 06:43 PM

Not yet. Got the carbs, though used, great shape, Endurashine I may wait on buying any more induction parts till I get the motor buttoned up. It could be some months, and ya never know what is coming down the (new stuff)pipeline

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/12/14 12:51 AM

The other point to consider is the lack of suitability of Gen 3 cams to carb induction.

Most run a very late ICL..(111 to 114).....which means terrible cylinder pressure when relying on vacuum to draw fuel through a carb.

The late ICL is to achieve decent piston to valve clearance - but the EFI certainly compensates much better in this area.

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/12/14 02:19 AM

You're just running an srt max? 219/227.

I've got the same specs on a 112. My PTV is fine. Look at how big the Arrington sr2b and st3a are. 220/230ish and they work in a stock shortblock
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/13/14 05:28 PM

I have a complete 6.4 hemi, i want to run stock computer with VVT, and active intake

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/13/14 05:45 PM

Mega squirt isn't confirmed yet. I've heard it can work with the 6.4 but I bet locking the cam out and putting a normal intake on is what you would have to do.

Dave webber at modern muscle can get the factory stuff to work but it's way more money.

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/13/14 09:41 PM

The SRV intake is a simple rpm switch deal, not overly sophisticated. I know there are a handful of people have converted 6.1 cars over to the SRV 6.4 intake.
Posted By: redmist

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/13/14 11:28 PM

Quote:

Mega squirt isn't confirmed yet. I've heard it can work with the 6.4 but I bet locking the cam out and putting a normal intake on is what you would have to do.

Dave webber at modern muscle can get the factory stuff to work but it's way more money.

Megasquirt 1.3.0 release supports the VVT function on Hemi's.

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/14/14 01:03 AM

I just saw they revised the firmware but I've not read all the details.

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/14/14 02:59 AM

Quote:

You're just running an srt max? 219/227

I've got the same specs on a 112. My PTV is fine. Look at how big the Arrington sr2b and st3a are. 220/230ish and they work in a stock shortblock

Alex - my 'beef' isnt with the p-v ...even though most are pretty tight on the intake side......it's HOW they achieve the clearance they get.

I xan handle running an SRTMAX with .068th....or an ST3-A with even less!..... But thats not the real issue.

The issue is that the quoted grind ICL is NOT where these things install at.

Inertia uses Crower to grind their cams - the Crower card says install
4 degrees advanced at 106 degrees!!!

BUT........Inertia says it goes in at 114 ICL which is what it did (we degreed it)

Thats 8 degrees retarded from Crowers recommendation.

That kind of install line aint gonna help low end tq in a carbed motor....Im sure you agree!!

At least Inertia is honest about the install ICL - I suspect some companies thar quote 111+2 ICL are not being straight about where the cam actually goes in.

Funny thing is.......everyone says these are great top end cams.....Well hello!!!!!..........of course they are - at 8 degrees frickin retarded!!!

And most of these cams all install retarded according to Chris from Modern Muscle.....its how they avoid p-v issues to begin with.

Mostly EFI guys wont care...the chip and the induction compensates a lot......but that late ICL really puts the hurt on carb induction.

Only way to beat it is relieved slugs and an adjustable timing set.

Posted By: uncledon

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/15/14 12:36 AM

chiming in here a little...and with a question or twooo

I am putting a 5.7 hemi carb'd engine in my 67 coronet. Modman indy intake, tti headers...other than that mostly stock for now.

im researching cams, and well...everything I see is for fuel injection. shouldn't I need a different cam for a carbed set up? anyone recommend who to call or talk to on that? comp? crane? Arrington? etc...

anyone researched this?

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/15/14 01:49 AM

Lets assume you are not going to run steep gears or a big converter....because they can cover up some serious sins.....

I would seriously re-think running the modman...at least with a single carb....unless you run a double pumper and gears.

Theres no question the large plenum creates bottom end torque issues.

Trouble is...these issues are made worse by cams that dont "favor" low end power production.

The factory 6.1 cam has a pretty small duration and would no doubt make better low end than the bigger off the shelf stuff.....but you'll lose top end....its a pretty mild cam

If your not chasing 1/4 mile times...Id look at one of the smaller Comp grinds....maybe get Modern Muscle or Comp to grind it on a 110 lsa...that way you'll have a sharp responding cam which hopefully wont be too bad down low.

Basically the less the duration, the less problems down low.

Be prepared to run a lot of initial timing also - as cylinder pressure wont be great with the modman.

I started at 10deg initial and ended up at 21 deg initial going to 25 at 3000 rpm with no detonation issues or kickback against the starter.
Posted By: hemidup

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/15/14 02:28 AM

Post your cam card if you can. I'm sure we'd all like to see the valve timing events.

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/15/14 06:43 AM

Quote:

Lets assume you are not going to run steep gears or a big converter....because they can cover up some serious sins.....

I would seriously re-think running the modman...at least with a single carb....unless you run a double pumper and gears.

Theres no question the large plenum creates bottom end torque issues.

Trouble is...these issues are made worse by cams that dont "favor" low end power production.

The factory 6.1 cam has a pretty small duration and would no doubt make better low end than the bigger off the shelf stuff.....but you'll lose top end....its a pretty mild cam

If your not chasing 1/4 mile times...Id look at one of the smaller Comp grinds....maybe get Modern Muscle or Comp to grind it on a 110 lsa...that way you'll have a sharp responding cam which hopefully wont be too bad down low.

Basically the less the duration, the less problems down low.

Be prepared to run a lot of initial timing also - as cylinder pressure wont be great with the modman.

I started at 10deg initial and ended up at 21 deg initial going to 25 at 3000 rpm with no detonation issues or kickback against the starter.

let me add a few things...and I appreciate the feedback.
this is more of a cruiser, drive to church on sundays, drive on a 2-3 hour trip on weekends etc... and ever once in awhile if get the itch I will take it to the track and run it for fun. id like to have a 11 sec quarter mile car....

this is what im using...904 trans, 5.7 hemi from Durango, 40k miles, modman intake, single carb, tti ceramic headers, 355 gears, car weighs about 3500 without me in it... so with a cam swap and springs I would hope for 425 hp maybe? flywheel....

so at this point do I need to worry about fuel, intake runners, hp and torque in a mostly street car? will it be that noticeable driving normal...and have decent power? I don't want to put this in and be totally disappointed either...but it is replacing the factory 273 lol... so can only go up from here ha.

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/15/14 09:05 AM

This thread is going astray.

Run a small cam no bigger than 215/219 and cut it on a 112 lsa. Don't overthink this cam business

There is no reason to not run an efi grind cam in a carb motor, this is being made way more complicated than it needs to be.

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/15/14 09:32 AM

Uncledon - sorry but I've opened up a bit of a can of worms...and your question has created a debate that may be more challenging than you realise.

On the topic of it being a "simple choice" - I'll just say this....

I'm not so sure ANYONE on this board would run this stick on a carb set up given a choice.

This stick went in at 114 ICL - as indicated it would by the supplier.

However, suggesting people run a cam that's 4 deg retarded from straight up...and 8 deg off from the recommended ICL...???

Well if you asked the W2 flat tappet boys to do that..they'd fall over themselves laughing.

Trouble is...there is no choice if you are going to run factory slugs on a G3 Hemi.

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/15/14 04:31 PM

Okay, so let me ask this to get back on track. Is there any reason to hunt down a 6.4 computer and harness, or go right for aftermarket such as the MS3X? I know where there is a factory harness pretty reasonable, but I have not looked for a factory computer. Also, is the factory computer locked down or can you tune it as well?

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/16/14 12:39 AM

Ill leave that one to the EFI guys..

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/16/14 02:47 AM

Quote:

Okay, so let me ask this to get back on track. Is there any reason to hunt down a 6.4 computer and harness, or go right for aftermarket such as the MS3X? I know where there is a factory harness pretty reasonable, but I have not looked for a factory computer. Also, is the factory computer locked down or can you tune it as well?

I believe right now your best bet is Modern Muscle. They use a 2009 Challenger ecu and base their 6.4 swap and harness from there. They keep the VVT and SRV active.

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/16/14 02:50 AM

A carb i can have running in 5 minutes. EFI depends on how long the migrane headache and violent shaking lasts
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/16/14 03:55 AM

Quote:

A carb i can have running in 5 minutes. EFI depends on how long the migrane headache and violent shaking lasts

5 minutes starting from what? My very first standalone EFI car fired, ran to 12,000rpm and idled within it's first start. Wiring from scratch, tune from scratch in a tube chassis race car.

Migraine? Violent shaking?.....Fear of change sounds pretty alive and well here.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/16/14 03:57 AM

I have run both efi and carb on the same engine, actually a couple of engines now, and achieved similar results in the 1/4.....Neither set-up instantly and need some tuning.

What most fail to understand, is efi, just like a carb needs porting and the same kind of air distribution considerations to have good even plugs. You can cover it up, but to truly perform, it does need some considerations.

What I like about the newer after market efi systems is the self learning feature...Plug in the target A/F and just drive it. But there is that frustration that comes with getting it going...

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/16/14 03:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

5 minutes starting from what? My very first standalone EFI car fired, ran to 12,000rpm and idled within it's first start. Wiring from scratch, tune from scratch in a tube chassis race car.

Migraine? Violent shaking?.....Fear of change sounds pretty alive and well here.

Yes, Im one of the more stupider guys on here
Posted By: headhunter

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/16/14 05:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

oh no I have that title it seems hard to think I can buy a efi intake and wiring harness and all that's involved with that and a efi fuel pump and lines would be easier or cost less than a carb and intake. but then again I am old and don't do well with computer how well is one of the like fast fuel injection deals that take the place of a carb? versus a factory deal like you all are talking about?

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/16/14 06:40 PM

If you can tune a carb, you can tune efi.

Instead of three circuits with a huge range of jet and mixture inputs, you've got a 16x16 fuel table and a 16x16 ignition table.

The idle/primary/secondary circuits are all there, its just numbers on a computer instead of a screwdriver and jets.

And the auto tune helps too, but its not the only thing that is needed.

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/16/14 09:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

NO......you're NOT........you like many others just fear change and venturing into something you are not familiar with. You didn't know anything about gen 3 HEMIs either, but you jumped right in there and made it work. EFI would be no different. It's fuel, air and spark.......just like any motor.

Monte

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/17/14 03:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

NO......you're NOT........you like many others just fear change and venturing into something you are not familiar with. You didn't know anything about gen 3 HEMIs either, but you jumped right in there and made it work. EFI would be no different. It's fuel, air and spark.......just like any motor.

Monte

My issues are more related to using a computer. Its not that i dont understand and. I'm not as gifted as Goody who can make a wiring harness faster than i can tighten 4 carb stud nuts.

Also, it always comes down to using what you have laying around.

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/17/14 04:21 AM

I find many other things in the hot rodding world harder than doing efi. It's all what intimidates you.

When something was designed to have something, working around it is simple.

It's adapting a system which was never intended to be there that can make it difficult IMHO.

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/17/14 05:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

My issues are more related to using a computer. Its not that i dont understand and. I'm not as gifted as Goody who can make a wiring harness faster than i can tighten 4 carb stud nuts.

Also, it always comes down to using what you have laying around.

You are able to post on this board.........so you know about as much about computers as I do. You do NOT have to be a computer guru to use EFI. And another thing. If you have a DECENT baseline map saved in your computer, you can have your existing tune so fubar'd it is ridiculous and restoring it to the other is just a mouse click away.

Monte

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/17/14 07:26 PM

my thoughts...and I hear from both sides of the fence...
the true blue old school "mopar or nocar" guys..cant fathom having a new style hemi in an old mopar.
the new guys, cant fathom why in the world you would take a new hemi, with all the technology and advanced learning and go backwards and put a carb set up on it...and go back to old school..??

im in the middle. im using the new styly hemi and making it look like the old hemi....big valve covers, plugs thru top of valve covers...carb, headers....old school but with newer docile technology engine...
It is not that I fear tuning an efi, been there done that. im good on computers, laptops, tuning, turbo cars, blah blah...
its my choice to go carb'd, plus that's how I bought this set up from a board member here running, driving, carb...done.

its my only way I will have a HEMI lol...can't afford the "real hemi"..

long story short and rant over: either one can be tuned for good HP. either one will look cool. put on it what you want...and are comfortable with and your budget and parts available allows. once mine is done I will drive it state to state with a carb set up...I don't care. plan to do the power tour next year, and possibly drag week.

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/17/14 08:34 PM

Quote:

the true blue old school "mopar or nocar" guys..cant fathom having a new style hemi in an old mopar.
the new guys, cant fathom why in the world you would take a new hemi, with all the technology and advanced learning and go backwards and put a carb set up on it...and go back to old school..??

im in the middle. im using the new styly hemi and making it look like the old hemi....big valve covers, plugs thru top of valve covers...carb, headers....old school but with newer docile technology engine...
It is not that I fear tuning an efi, been there done that. im good on computers, laptops, tuning, turbo cars, blah blah...
its my choice to go carb'd, plus that's how I bought this set up from a board member here running, driving, carb...done.

its my only way I will have a HEMI lol...can't afford the "real hemi"..

long story short and rant over: either one can be tuned for good HP. either one will look cool. put on it what you want...and are comfortable with and your budget and parts available allows. once mine is done I will drive it state to state with a carb set up...I don't care. plan to do the power tour next year, and possibly drag week.

I understand what you mean!

Here is a question for all the hemi gurus- sinc this is a vvt motor we are working with, could we use comp's lock kit and be done with it, or is it not that simple?

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/18/14 12:01 AM

I want to put a 3rd gen HEMI in my car.
I was leaning towards putting a carb on it for simplicity and cost factors.
But after reading this, it sounds like EFI is the way to go for me.
Can anyone post the actaul cost of converting a car over to new EFI?
Also what kind of growing pains will someone have who has never had EFI?
My car gets thousands of very very hard street miles each year.
Will there be newer and better EFI anytime soon?

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/18/14 01:07 AM

Just an anecdote....a guy named HemiJoe runs a 68 Fish with a worked 5.7 hemi and dual quads.

His best mph was 116 with the Edelbrock dual quad intake....ran 11.5.

He just swapoed to a Hogan intake with slightly bigger carbs - ran 120mph @ 11.1 !!!

This shows just how inferior the off the shelf carb intakes for the Gen3 are.

Both his intakes also required a hood scoop....so imagine how much the low rise single plane carb intakes are hurting overall performance.......

Uncledon - if you're running a Modman there's only one way to do it - dual quadsand if possible a full divider in the plenum.....Ive tried most everything and this gave me the best result.

Its not so much peak hp thats the issue - its poor carb signal which makes track launches a bear.....although I picked up 18 rwhp on the dyno....with the dual quads over a single carb...

Havent tested the divider but it made it sharper.....
Posted By: 1badx

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/18/14 01:54 AM

Quote:

Instead of three circuits with a huge range of jet and mixture inputs, you've got a 16x16 fuel table and a 16x16 ignition table.

The idle/primary/secondary circuits are all there, its just numbers on a computer instead of a screwdriver and jets.

It's a little more complicated than that (injector size, injector flow, min PW, cold start, cranking fuel, o2 correction, timing tables etc.)

BUT - I agree with you, if you can tune a carb and distributor, adjust jetting, power valves, accel pump, accel pump cams, squirters, air bleeds, distributor advance springs or MSD digital timing curves you can tune an EFI system.

And as others have said these engine were designed for EFI.

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/18/14 02:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

It's a little more complicated than that (injector size, injector flow, min PW, cold start, cranking fuel, o2 correction, timing tables etc.)

BUT - I agree with you, if you can tune a carb and distributor, adjust jetting, power valves, accel pump, accel pump cams, squirters, air bleeds, distributor advance springs or MSD digital timing curves you can tune an EFI system.

And as others have said these engine were designed for EFI.

Have you played with HPTuners for NGC? Been thinking of going this route with my 05.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/18/14 02:54 AM

Quote:

Well us old guys, its still an issue of cost to change over to a G3 and proven parts for higher horse power applications are tough to come by....They also lack cubic inches. I would much prefer a +450 cube G3 over a 392 G3...so to go were I want to go I need a power adder...more $$$...Where do these fit in against a typical +500 cube BBM? To each their own. I like them all.

And carbs flat out work for the record. I like both carbs and efi, and both done right are not cheap. I am not talking about a pair of eddy carbs either...So taking a big barrel intake off a newer hemi an restofying it to shed all the un needed stuff, so be it. We do that...

Racing is about going fast with only what is needed.

And I will tell you what, I have been reading on those boosted LSX motors Dutwieler (sp) has been building, and the Mopar folks have some learning to do.

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/videos-1000-horsepower-supercharged-lsx-build-for-the-street/

Don't look at this one if you hate carbs....
http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/engine/big-power-numbers-gms-lsx454r-reliability-focus/

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/18/14 04:37 AM

Quote:

Just an anecdote....a guy named HemiJoe runs a 68 Fish with a worked 5.7 hemi and dual quads.

His best mph was 116 with the Edelbrock dual quad intake....ran 11.5.

He just swapoed to a Hogan intake with slightly bigger carbs - ran 120mph @ 11.1 !!!

This shows just how inferior the off the shelf carb intakes for the Gen3 are.

Both his intakes also required a hood scoop....so imagine how much the low rise single plane carb intakes are hurting overall performance.......

Uncledon - if you're running a Modman there's only one way to do it - dual quadsand if possible a full divider in the plenum.....Ive tried most everything and this gave me the best result.

Its not so much peak hp thats the issue - its poor carb signal which makes track launches a bear.....although I picked up 18 rwhp on the dyno....with the dual quads over a single carb...

Havent tested the divider but it made it sharper.....

So sexy

Attached picture 8334593-8334593-10806417_10203351422450560_7398250147823171789_n.jpg

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/18/14 05:16 AM

The port configuration looks very different on those LSX motors...much more 'traditional' interface between the intake and the head......

Of course thats the reason short runners dont work on a Gen 3......asking the AF to make too many turns........

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/18/14 01:19 PM

Ive been looking at intakes for a gen 3. Has anyone looked at using a intake made for a different engine and cnc adapters to put it on a gen3? Theres a couple of chevy I know intakes that match where the runners are on a gen 3 and they are not bad priced can find them for around 150 to 200 have a few friends that are ablento cnc an adapter for it and come in way under what one of the gen3 intakes go for and might be able to use under a stock hood. Or am I looking to far outside of the box

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/18/14 02:03 PM

Quote:

Direct Injection.

It's out there in OEM applications plenty [ECO-Boost, BMW 335, etc]

But I don't see that making it to the aftermarket within the next few years, eventually, but it's very finicky [very high rail pressures and very precise fueling].

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/18/14 07:40 PM

The Holley Dominator EFI is really interesting.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_sys...u/parts/554-114

I wont make a change to my set up to go with it, but it certainly is the most capable EFI system compatible with the modern hemi.

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/18/14 07:40 PM

Quote:

New and better?............in what way? Some of the current EFI systems you can buy are VERY advanced, can do WAY more than most people know how to do, are rock solid reliable and can also be very EASY to use. Now if you are talking about VVT, there is a couple of boxes that work with it now and I know we/Holley are working on it as well.

Monte
Posted By: BBR

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/18/14 07:56 PM

The main problem I had when I was an EFI-noob was I really had no idea when good enough was good enough.

Getting the tune close enough to run decently and safely took a lot of time. And even then I was constantly questioning (and tinkering) whether it was ok or if it needed to be tweaked to be better.

Going to a carb on the next build was almost a relief because that is what I was comfortable with. It was easier to just say it was "good enough" and focus on other things instead of obsessing over how much to increase the cold start enrichment or whatever.

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/18/14 11:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

New and better?............in what way? Some of the current EFI systems you can buy are VERY advanced, can do WAY more than most people know how to do, are rock solid reliable and can also be very EASY to use. Now if you are talking about VVT, there is a couple of boxes that work with it now and I know we/Holley are working on it as well.

Monte

Thank you for the replies. When i said newer and better, i did not mean more bells and whistles. I meant more efficient and or easier to program. I am new to all of the EFI stuff. So from the point of starting completely from scracth and trying to turn a running car into an EFI running car, i wanted to make sure if i wait a couple months, there is not going to be a ground breaking new product that will revolutionize converting carbed vehicles over to EFI.
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/18/14 11:29 PM

EFI also gives you the opportunity to datalog MUCH better than with a carb.

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/19/14 03:36 AM

Quote:

Ive been looking at intakes for a gen 3. Has anyone looked at using a intake made for a different engine and cnc adapters to put it on a gen3? Theres a couple of chevy I know intakes that match where the runners are on a gen 3 and they are not bad priced can find them for around 150 to 200 have a few friends that are ablento cnc an adapter for it and come in way under what one of the gen3 intakes go for and might be able to use under a stock hood. Or am I looking to far outside of the box

TRWaters, a member here did just that. Believed he used a 413 intake with some custom intake spacers he fabbed up to fit the G3.
Posted By: slammedR/T

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/19/14 03:41 AM

Monte,
what is your opinion on the holley dominator EFI set-up??? Eddie Miller seems to like it a lot and I have messed with it on abuddy turbo camaro(LS1)and it seems to be real user friendly.

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/19/14 03:44 AM

Quote:

The main problem I had when I was an EFI-noob was I really had no idea when good enough was good enough.

Getting the tune close enough to run decently and safely took a lot of time. And even then I was constantly questioning (and tinkering) whether it was ok or if it needed to be tweaked to be better.

Going to a carb on the next build was almost a relief because that is what I was comfortable with. It was easier to just say it was "good enough" and focus on other things instead of obsessing over how much to increase the cold start enrichment or whatever.

Knowing when to quit can be interesting, it's due to the data you have.

To me, that data can only make the car better and better when used for good. With a carb, you set it to how the butt-dyno feels and maybe with a wideband at best.

"Ignorance is bliss" with most carb setups, "it runs fine" gets replaced with "it could be a half-a-point leaner from 5,000-6,200, so I'll pull 0.12ms from the table. Slippery slope, I agree, but I find it hard to want a carb after setting up an EFI car.

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/19/14 05:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Knowing when to quit can be interesting, it's due to the data you have.

To me, that data can only make the car better and better when used for good. With a carb, you set it to how the butt-dyno feels and maybe with a wideband at best.

"Ignorance is bliss" with most carb setups, "it runs fine" gets replaced with "it could be a half-a-point leaner from 5,000-6,200, so I'll pull 0.12ms from the table. Slippery slope, I agree, but I find it hard to want a carb after setting up an EFI car.

If I ever have the money to build a 12,000 rpm, efi tube chassis car, your my man
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/19/14 12:04 PM

Quote:

After playing with turbo EFI cars for a decade... when I decided to have fun with RWD again I find carbs to be intolerable.

Nothing better than reaching in a cold race car with 83 pph injectors and having it fire perfect and idle perfect.

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/19/14 08:59 PM

Quote:

Have you played with HPTuners for NGC? Been thinking of going this route with my 05.

Yes, I have and it is very straightforward and includes parameter and table info and ranges. The downside is that you cannot modify the TCM so if you have anything other than the factory gears you will need to come up with another solution for that or the car will not be drivable - which really stinks....

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/19/14 09:15 PM

Quote:

Monte,
what is your opinion on the holley dominator EFI set-up??? Eddie Miller seems to like it a lot and I have messed with it on abuddy turbo camaro(LS1)and it seems to be real user friendly.

I LOVE it........of course I may be a little biased because I work for Holley and also had LOTS of input on the system itself, as to what I wanted to be able to do with it. In my opinion, you don't have to "speak EFI" to be able to tune the Holley. It is very user friendly. Just like the fuel tables on most ECUs are VE(volumetric efficiency) tables. So what exactly does that number mean?.....nobody really knows. They only know you make it bigger, it adds fuel. The Holley on the other hand, the fuel tables are lb/hr. Everybody understands lb/hr. To make "x" power, you need "x" fuel at a certain BSFC........to me that's easy.

Monte

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/19/14 09:16 PM

Quote:

Well us old guys, its still an issue of cost to change over to a G3 and proven parts for higher horse power applications are tough to come by....They also lack cubic inches. I would much prefer a +450 cube G3 over a 392 G3...so to go were I want to go I need a power adder...more $$$...Where do these fit in against a typical +500 cube BBM? To each their own. I like them all.

And carbs flat out work for the record. I like both carbs and efi, and both done right are not cheap. I am not talking about a pair of eddy carbs either...So taking a big barrel intake off a newer hemi an restofying it to shed all the un needed stuff, so be it. We do that...

And I will tell you what, I have been reading on those boosted LSX motors ....

I am an "old guy" and have both a Gary Williams dominator equipped B-body w/a built RB (runs 9.9) and an 06 SRT8 Jeep (that also runs 9.9) with a 5.7 based Gen III Hemi. One is NA and one is turbocharged.

I live in both worlds and tune customer cars in both worlds. The power made by the Gen III's has been proven for at least 5-8 years as well as the components necessary to produce that power.

For the time being there is no need to get involved with the VVT engines. Stick with the 5.7 and 6.1 blocks and make all the power you need. Two weekends ago at Atco we went 9.97 naturally aspirated with a 4 door Charger that weighs 3700#'s and a 1.37 60'. This was with a 6.1 block and "off the shelf" parts readily available to anyone.

There are plenty of forced induction 5.7 and 6.1 based Gen III's making over 1000whp w/off the shelf components - forget about the LSx based stuff - the Mopar guys are doing this all over the place

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/19/14 11:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Monte,

I LOVE it........of course I may be a little biased because I work for Holley and also had LOTS of input on the system itself, as to what I wanted to be able to do with it. In my opinion, you don't have to "speak EFI" to be able to tune the Holley. It is very user friendly. Just like the fuel tables on most ECUs are VE(volumetric efficiency) tables. So what exactly does that number mean?.....nobody really knows. They only know you make it bigger, it adds fuel. The Holley on the other hand, the fuel tables are lb/hr. Everybody understands lb/hr. To make "x" power, you need "x" fuel at a certain BSFC........to me that's easy.

Monte

Yeah I like it was easy to understand and was very user friendly. I also like how it would work with different gm sensors or holley sensors and some others. You just went to a settings screen and switch between the different sensors.
My buddy car had a ls7 map sensor and we selected it in the computer, well the mad wasn't responding or changing. we grabbed a holley map sensor, changed the selection in the computter, and it was working, come to find out the map sensor was bad from the dealer. We got a new ls7 map, changed it, switch the selection in the computer, it is working fine. The computer was also abaile to adapt to the car over time, the idle fuel trims got better over a couple hundred miles of driving it.

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/20/14 03:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

And I will tell you what, I have been reading on those boosted LSX motors ....

I am an "old guy" and have both a Gary Williams dominator equipped B-body w/a built RB (runs 9.9) and an 06 SRT8 Jeep (that also runs 9.9) with a 5.7 based Gen III Hemi. One is NA and one is turbocharged.

I live in both worlds and tune customer cars in both worlds. The power made by the Gen III's has been proven for at least 5-8 years as well as the components necessary to produce that power.

For the time being there is no need to get involved with the VVT engines. Stick with the 5.7 and 6.1 blocks and make all the power you need. Two weekends ago at Atco we went 9.97 naturally aspirated with a 4 door Charger that weighs 3700#'s and a 1.37 60'. This was with a 6.1 block and "off the shelf" parts readily available to anyone.

There are plenty of forced induction 5.7 and 6.1 based Gen III's making over 1000whp w/off the shelf components - forget about the LSx based stuff - the Mopar guys are doing this all over the place

True...but its a pity we have to empty the slugs out over a bin before even thinking about reliability with boost....
Posted By: BBR

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/20/14 04:04 AM

Quote:

The Holley on the other hand, the fuel tables are lb/hr. Everybody understands lb/hr. To make "x" power, you need "x" fuel at a certain BSFC........to me that's easy.

Monte

That is a fantastic way to approach it.

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/20/14 08:30 PM

Quote:

True...but its a pity we have to empty the slugs out over a bin before even thinking about reliability with boost....

What? I hope you are talking about stock pistons? Aftermarket slugs are holding just fine and handling more boost than most on here will ever make.

Heck, even the stock pistons with a good tune will handle 18+ psi. As I found out it is the rods or rod bolts that failed at 25+psi.

Impressive in my book for a completely stock Gen III w/85,000 miles that never had the valve covers off!

Try that with a factory B or RB engine!

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/21/14 05:12 AM

Of course Im talking about stock pistons....why would I be talking about dumping aftermarket ones?

Yes Im talking about stock cast 6.1 slugs - general opinion being any sort of boost over 6psi sees you losing the top ring land after a while...

If you disagree...Im sure others will verify that this is the commonly held opinion....

However not sure if te 5.7s suffer from the same issue?

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/21/14 04:06 PM

Quote:

Of course Im talking about stock pistons....why would I be talking about dumping aftermarket ones?

Yes Im talking about stock cast 6.1 slugs - general opinion being any sort of boost over 6psi sees you losing the top ring land after a while...

If you disagree...Im sure others will verify that this is the commonly held opinion....

I wouldn't argue with him. He understands the tuning more than 99% of us.

Boost isn't always boost. Certain kinds are more forgiving than others. There are exceptions to every rule.

People are putting nitrous and 10+ lbs of boost through stock 6.1's. A good tuner is what links all of those people together.
Posted By: Uhcoog1

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/21/14 04:17 PM

Quote:

...Says the guy who has never boosted a Hemi to the guy who has personally put 25+ psi to a stock long block 6.1.

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/22/14 01:50 AM

No.....says the guy who posted this exact same question on the LX forums and got told quite clearly... DONT do it.

What is it with people who do t understand the meaning of " commonly held opinion"?

And what is it with people who dont understand why I would like to hear why this COMMONLY HELD OPINION...is wrong.

When I have the experience to back up an opinion...you'll know it...otherwise It's up there for discussion.....that OK with you?

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/22/14 02:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I wouldn't argue with him. He understands the tuning more than 99% of us.

Boost isn't always boost. Certain kinds are more forgiving than others. There are exceptions to every rule.

People are putting nitrous and 10+ lbs of boost through stock 6.1's. A good tuner is what links all of those people together.

Alex - thx for the civil reply.

Fwiw Im not arguing - Im trying to get to the bottom of why 'most people' say dont do it....

And its in my nature to test the water to make sure its deep enough for swimming

Hopefully Badx will post and clarify why this mis-information exists...

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/22/14 02:26 AM

Quote:

Um I helped a good friend of mine Rashad Flemmings rebuild and install a stock with cam swap 6.1L into his 06 300C with a paxton S/C and a 100shot of nitrous. Been running for a year now with many track outtings at 10psi with no issues at all.

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/22/14 04:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Um I helped a good friend of mine Rashad Flemmings rebuild and install a stock with cam swap 6.1L into his 06 300C with a paxton S/C and a 100shot of nitrous. Been running for a year now with many track outtings at 10psi with no issues at all.

Go figure..... Its amazing how many different experiences one modification can create.

If I could be assured that a "blow thru carb" s/charger wouldn't blow my pistons out the tail pipe...its a mod I would certainly look towards.....

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/22/14 04:15 AM

my challenger is a blow thru carb with a procharger set up on it has 32000 miles on it all with the procharger and no pistons out the pipes yet

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/22/14 04:20 AM

Quote:

my challenger is a blow thru carb with a procharger set up on it has 32000 miles on it all with the procharger and no pistons out the pipes yet

Thx - This is great feedback...because its not just me that was thinking otherwise.

(FWIW people will just have to believe me on that - I'm not going to "set others up" simply to prove a point)

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/22/14 04:42 AM

Even a supercharger would still have to negotiate that Modman intakes awesome distribution.

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/22/14 05:38 AM

I think the intake on my 5.7 is worse than a modman. I have the mopar performance one the short one one of the first intake to put a carb on a gen 3

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/22/14 07:09 AM

Quote:

Even a supercharger would still have to negotiate that Modman intakes awesome distribution.

Interesting point -

So a would a blower compensate for those horrible short turns at all?

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? - 11/22/14 07:49 AM

The compressed air wouldn't care, but getting the fuel distributed is another matter. Putting an injector at each port would help immensely imo.
© 2024 Moparts Forums