Moparts

6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore

Posted By: WadeMetzinger

6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/10/14 10:32 PM

I'd like to find a better rod than Eagle/Scat but it seems that no one is making them anymore so I wanted to see if you guys knew of any other options.

If I didn't already have the 4.15 Callies crank and Diamond pistons I'd look to change stroke or move to longer rod (Hemi) and change the pin height on a piston, but it't too late for that.

I may have no choice but to go Aluminum if I want something better than Eagle/Scat. I understand Scat is making a pretty good rod for up to 1,000hp and this motor will make less than that but it's going in my KB block and I'd rather put a better rod in it if I can find one.

No availability for any of these manufactures 6.76 w/ .990 pin:
Crower - $1,800 - no stock no plans
Oliver - $1,300 - no stock no plans
Lunati - $? - no stock no plans
Carrillo - $? - no stock no plans
Howards - $? - no stock no plans
Manley - $? - no stock no plans

Help?
Posted By: BradH

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/10/14 10:48 PM

Molnar Technologies; the guy who started K1 branched out on his own again.

What size crank pin are you running?
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/10/14 10:59 PM

You can still possibly offset grind the crank to 2.200 bearing, 4.270 stroke, use the common 6.7 long 2.200 bearing x .990 pin rods. Rod availability is now good, bearings are a touch cheaper, and you have fourteen more cubes. You could possibly go to 4.25 stroke and use custom gaskets to make up the .010 minus deck height, if you want a common combo.

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/10/14 11:54 PM

Std Chrysler crank size, and I would rank the Molar rod with Scat. Would work just fine, just wanted a better rod.

Good info Greg, hadn't thought about that option but I hate to offset grind a good Callies crank. I'd probably just go with Aluminum rods if that's my only option
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/10/14 11:59 PM

Alum rod may cause clearance issues in the block. Looks like you hit all the big dollar rod makers and there is nothing, did you check ebay?

Try calling Barton and a few other places to see if they have something hiding on a back shelf ?

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/11/14 12:20 AM

Wade try this place , he lists the manley sportsmaster , also try Campbell enterprises ?

http://www.rpmrons.com/manleysteel2.html
Posted By: sc301v

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/11/14 12:21 AM

I have a brand new set of 6.760 grp pro series rods if interested.. I ordered the wrong length so i would make someone a deal.
Posted By: JD Dart

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/11/14 03:15 AM

I have this set of rods why won't this work.
http://www.callies.com/compstar/connecting-rods/h-beam/
CSE6760FS3D5AH
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/11/14 04:12 AM

Call R&R. That is where I buy all my aluminum rods but they also make very nice steel rods. All 100% American made. They are billet rods and custom is no problem

Monte
Posted By: tubtar

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/11/14 06:14 AM

Howards ?
Their billet pieces look good on paper , but I have no first hand experience with them.

Sorry.
Read first....then type.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/11/14 06:32 AM

Molnar DH6760YTB8-A
Posted By: BradH

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/11/14 04:59 PM

Quote:

Molnar DH6760YTB8-A

I mentioned Molnar above, but the OP said he doesn't consider them any better than SCAT.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/11/14 05:10 PM

Quote:

I have this set of rods why won't this work.
http://www.callies.com/compstar/connecting-rods/h-beam/
CSE6760FS3D5AH

Yep....... Compstar makes great rods, ran a set in my 422 small block. Chuck@ best machine really likes them.
675 a set, Barton sells them and they are 990 pin
Edit..... I am sure best carries them as well
Posted By: JC Childress

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/11/14 05:12 PM

We have used tons and tons of Molnar rods and I can tell you, the finished product from Molnar far exceeds the quality of Scat rods. I know they both start out as Chinese rods but the quality is much better on the Molnar and we have several sets in pretty stout bracket engines ( over 1000hp ) and I know of several sets in higher hp turbo cars. I think you'd be happy with the rods from Tom Molnar.
Posted By: PETE@BESTMACHINE

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/11/14 05:15 PM

Compstar Rods for sure
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/11/14 08:43 PM

http://www.autoverdi.com/rods.html

Probably the best damn steelrods you will ever find. As a bonus they are not made in asia.

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/11/14 11:28 PM

ok, sounds like I need to re-consider Compstar and Molnar rods.

I wished Callies would make an Ultra H-Beam for Mopar, I'm hearing Chevy builders are really impressed with them and hearing that some Oliver rod are having some issues which never used to happen.

I'm only going to make 850 or less HP so I know Eagle, Scat, Molnar and Compstars would do all I need just thought I'd look into a better rod for a little more insurance and be able to run them for 3,000 passes and not worry about them (since I'm putting them in my KB block), other than to change the bolt every now and then.

Thanks for the help guys!
Posted By: dakotawilly

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/12/14 04:49 AM

pankyl ? they will make u any size for a hefty price,or possibly ohio crankshaft,

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/12/14 08:05 PM

Quote:

I wished Callies would make an Ultra H-Beam for Mopar, I'm hearing Chevy builders are really impressed with them and hearing that some Oliver rod are having some issues which never used to happen.

If you really like that rod then I would do the math with the pistons you have and turn down the crank and adjust the stroke to use on of those rods, probably end up costing close to the same as a big dollar rod for a mopar journal ?
Posted By: 1320Dart

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/12/14 09:07 PM

Quote:

I'm only going to make 850 or less HP so I know Eagle, Scat, Molnar and Compstars would do all I need just thought I'd look into a better rod for a little more insurance and be able to run them for 3,000 passes and not worry about them (since I'm putting them in my KB block), other than to change the bolt every now and then.

Molnar is the only one(in this price range) that will garantee that the rods he sells you will be good to "X" amount of HP. That kinda says something IMO.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/13/14 11:38 PM

Rods don't fail from horsepower, they fail from rpm.

Most every rod failure mode is in tension, except for the hydrolock scenario.

R.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/14/14 12:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Molnar is the only one(in this price range) that will garantee that the rods he sells you will be good to "X" amount of HP. That kinda says something IMO.

Don't know Molnar, but frankly making a statement like that saying a rod is guaranteed to a certain horsepower I would find a negative, not a positive.

I know I ran 7500 rpm hundreds of passes in my 9 sec small block with compstars, with 13+ compression,then sold the car. Current owner had the motor completely refurbished couple seasons ago and the rods were reused( Best Machine). They still checked fine.
The fact they like them is plenty good for me. I thought they were great looking units when I originally bought them.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/14/14 01:04 AM

I think it would be more correct to say they fail from stress. If you took the same rod and run a lighter piston it is going to have less stress on it than a heavy piston at the same RPM and it will last longer. Also if you run a shorter stroke at the same RPM and piston weight the one with the shorter stroke will not see as much stress and will last longer. So RPM does kill them but it is more than just saying they can handle 10,000 rpm, it needs to be quantified with saying they can handle X amount of RPM with X amount of stroke and X piston weight as all threee of those are probably the biggest variables although there are others.
Posted By: 74yellowduster

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/14/14 02:02 AM

heavy loading on the driver's seat places undue stress on the connecting rods as well. better lighten up on the cheeseburgers 'n fries
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/14/14 05:47 AM

Quote:

Rods don't fail from horsepower, they fail from rpm.

Most every rod failure mode is in tension, except for the hydrolock scenario.

R.

This exactly what Tom Molnar will tell you because I just had this conversation with him on a small block rod.

Bill
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/14/14 07:15 PM

Do you really think 10,000 RPM with a 1 inch stroke is going to put the same stress on a rod as 10,000 with a 4 inch stroke?

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/14/14 07:27 PM

Most rodfailures are secondary failures the primary fault is usualy elsewhere like the rodbolts or oilsystem not up to the task. now that we have left the [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] about what realy fails behind us i would still recomend the Autoverdi rods. some of the absolute best steel rods you will ever find and as a bonus you will get them made with whatever lenght,width,big and small end sizes you think you need. within reasonable limits ofcourse.
Posted By: 1320Dart

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/14/14 07:42 PM

Quote:

Most rodfailures are secondary failures the primary fault is usualy elsewhere like the rodbolts or oilsystem not up to the task. now that we have left the [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] about what realy fails behind us i would still recomend the Autoverdi rods. some of the absolute best steel rods you will ever find and as a bonus you will get them made with whatever lenght,width,big and small end sizes you think you need. within reasonable limits ofcourse.

And what is the price tag on a rod that has all the bonuses?

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/14/14 07:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/14/14 08:04 PM

Do the Autoverdi rods sing opera? Is someone in their production path named Giuseppe?

Frankly I am puzzled why you can't get Crower to make a set. They have been advertising for years that they can make any rod. Billet is billet, after all. Did you talk to someone there? Or just enquire whether they had some on the shelf? And likewise with most of the others, they must be pretty busy to not want to make a sale.

R.

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/14/14 08:08 PM

Quote:

Do the Autoverdi rods sing opera? Is someone in their production path named Giuseppe?

Frankly I am puzzled why you can't get Crower to make a set. They have been advertising for years that they can make any rod. Billet is billet, after all. Did you talk to someone there? Or just enquire whether they had some on the shelf? And likewise with most of the others, they must be pretty busy to not want to make a sale.

R.

A lot of these places don't want to do a rod unless it's a run , so if you want to buy say 100 rods then you might get them to make you a set of what you want. I remember that was what Manley was saying when the sportsmaster rod for BB mopar was the rage .

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/14/14 09:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Dont know there current pricing but last i checked they where not cheap by any means but they where not as expensive as i would have thought for a real custom rod.

Quote:

R.

Doubt they sing opera unless you pay them for it and im not sure they are that good at it either. they do two things that i know of,real good connecting rods and oilpumps.

Quote:

Quote:

R.

A lot of these places don't want to do a rod unless it's a run , so if you want to buy say 100 rods then you might get them to make you a set of what you want. I remember that was what Manley was saying when the sportsmaster rod for BB mopar was the rage .

doubt autoverdi cares if you order 8 or 80 rods. you will get the same quality anyway.

the link again,just contact them and see what they say.
http://www.autoverdi.com/rods.html

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/14/14 09:27 PM

Do Swedes have a sense of humor?

Giuseppe Verdi is one of the most famous composers of opera.

R.

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/14/14 09:31 PM

Quote:

Do Swedes have a sense of humor?

Giuseppe Verdi is one of the most famous composers of opera.

R.

Some of us has it,some gets lost in translation and lack of knowledge in opera
Posted By: Eric

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/14/14 09:53 PM

Maybe Wafflebatter will chime in with his experience with a Callies/Compstar crank...I relize we are talking about rods but.....
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/14/14 11:12 PM

I would not go with K1 or Compstar personally. I was going to recommend Carillo I-beams but they don't show anything shorter than 7.10 and use a .927 pin anyway.
Posted By: dakotawilly

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/14/14 11:40 PM

opera? really?,just seems to me that since you are using that shiny new kb block you would sleep way better at night if you just buy the absolute best rods and forget it,especially after the frankenmess occurance.nothing is perfect by any means,but,having a mind at peace in an 8000 rpm envirionment when your build cost is fast approaching your mortgage amount is priceless!!!
Posted By: mr_340

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/14/14 11:47 PM

Quote:

I was going to recommend Carillo I-beams but they don't show anything shorter than 7.10 and use a .927 pin anyway.

APPROVED CONNECTING RODS NHRA/IHRA
MP-440-SS>-
76760H
Mopar 413/426/440 Wedge
NHRA Super Stock
MP-440-SS>-
76760S
Mopar 413/426/440 Wedge
NHRA Super Stock
Posted By: blue_stocker

Re: 6.76 Rod options? better than Eagle/Scat. (not anymore - 11/17/14 05:00 PM

You might try talking to Roger at Dyers rods.
© 2024 Moparts Forums