Moparts

What do you guys do when this happens???

Posted By: Jeepmon

What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/10/14 05:53 PM

The car has been non-operational more than it has been driveable over the last couple of years.. Its been May since I last raced it and then had to pull the motor due to oil issues.. and currently its still at the machine shop with a long laundry list of problems... and at least another couple months before it'll be ready for pick up..

In the last two years, I've dumped a very sizeable amount of money in it and if I was married, the amount is so great, I'm sure I'd be planning for a divorce..

When I look back at the cost and labor and sweat I've put into a car that is nothing more than a trailer weight, I realized that with this summer long break from racing, I dont think I miss racing all that much..

Either I dont miss it... or I've been so turned off by the last couple of years, I question if I'll ever get back the passion I once had..

Has this happened to you and how did you work past it?
Posted By: cudadon

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/10/14 06:14 PM

Problems cause a lot of work and cost money.
It's not as much fun when you are under the car more than you are in the car!

I have kept going, through some difficult times.
But I did question if I was getting too old? If all this work and money are worth it?
I kept going and had some success so it was worth it!

A lot of guys have problems with SB oiling.
Maybe a mild BB would be cheaper to get the same performance level?

Just my opion.
Don

Attached picture 8327075-8-2-093ofus.jpg
Posted By: Brian Hafliger

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/10/14 06:16 PM

Since having my two boys I have not raced (2010)! Now they are 2 & 5 and are showing a great interest in the "race car" which is finally giving me some motivation...before this I was going through the same thing thinking I might even sell the duster.
My beautiful wife kept talking me out of it thankfully! So I know the feeling...
Brian
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/10/14 06:18 PM

Buy another car See problem solved.

If you do not have the passion to do this then in my humble opinion you need to sell and move on. Once you begin trying to justify the expense it is probably time to move on. IMO cut the losses before they get even bigger, because that is just the nature of this hobby/sport. I have watched a lot of people stick with this being somewhat miserable and always complaining about the money they spend. In my opinion they should have found a place to stay that the budget was comfortable with or just moved on. There are a large number of folks who try to keep up with the Jones's only to end up in over their heads, either financially or above their abilities only to resent the time and money they "wasted" in this sport. Most of the money spent doing this is wasted money period!!
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/10/14 06:34 PM

I have "moved on" more than once in the 25 years since I started. After a break I've always moved back.

You don't strike me as the non addicted person that will give up just yet. See you at a track in your area in the spring?
Posted By: dizuster

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/10/14 06:39 PM

It happens to everyone. Every part I touched last year on the car turned out to be a problem. I went from doing a quick trans/main bearing check, to... the only part in the motor from last year is the block and crank, new Dana 60, and a slew of trans parts. I didn't get out to the track for a full year trying to thrash on the car.

There were LOTS of days that it wasn't fun anymore... if it wasn't for my wife pushing me to get it done so I could enjoy it and completely taking over running our day to day lives so I could get out in the garage, it would still probably be in pieces.

That being said, it was very rewarding once the car made it back to the track. I took a few months off from the garage, but I was out there this weekend working on the car trailer and I'm back to liking it again.

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/10/14 06:42 PM

Well I will likely be sitting out the next three years, or at least the better part of them as the Air Force has different plans for us the next three years. Not getting any younger either so who knows what will happen next. I will get the Stratus done but not sure when or IF we will ever get it out.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/10/14 06:47 PM

I have a BIG issue with waiting on people so I do 85% of my own work and enjoy that part as much as racing. I'm more of a test n tuner that races every week because I still love the competition. I usually have 500-800 max machine work done to my engines that I have to pay for and its usually done in 1-2 weeks. i never have been or will be the type of racer that wins a lot because I like to tinker on my set-ups. I did some calculating over the weekend of what some of my Friends paid to race over the weekend and my head started to spin. Southern doorslamers race 2 entries 760 dollars (3 day race weekend) Friday buy-back 60 dollars, Saturday buy-back 100 dollars, Sunday buy-back 60 dollars. These guys aren't racing they are buying the win in my eyes to the point of craziness. How can you enjoy the sport when its costing this much money and that's not even taking in traveling costs.
Posted By: ChuckT

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/10/14 06:49 PM

Quote:

When I look back at the cost and labor and sweat I've put into a car that is nothing more than a trailer weight, I realized that with this summer long break from racing, I dont think I miss racing all that much..

Either I dont miss it... or I've been so turned off by the last couple of years, I question if I'll ever get back the passion I once had..

I am in the same spot. Blew up my engine end of 2012. Everything fought me trying to get the car going in 2013. Got it going this year, still fighting issues. It's close, but still have some bugs to work out. It is really frustrating. I am a pretty dedicated weekly points bracket racer, and last year I was in 7 or 8 different cars trying to stay in the chase. Just 3 different cars this year, but still frustrating. I did get to make a test and tune with my car and pile up some 1/8th mile hits. That stoked my fire. And a buddy let me use his car for the SBRA bracket finals, and I trailered a car or 2 over the 3 days. I have to admit, sometimes it felt like more work than I wanted to take on, as well as just selling and then going with something new to me. For me, I still enjoy the rush, win or lose, pulling through the top end looking over at my opponent and making a decision. To me, it sounds like you're as frustrated as I am, spending the money and time and not getting any return... yet. I'm working through it with the plan to swing hard right out of the gate in the 2015 season. I hope you get some good luck coming your way.
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/10/14 06:57 PM

I'm probably one of the guys that Al is talking about staying in it too long. I've spent 10's of thousands the last couple of years and had the worst 2 seasons ever, since I started.
A few things keep my interest up. The friends I have that do it, the pure competition I feel when I am able to race, and the feeling of accomplishment I feel when I occasionally win. If I do quit, it will be after I have accomplished what I came into the sport to do, win a National event. Or until my health or wallet won't allow me to continue. The money spent for bad results, will always p!ss me off. JMO
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/10/14 06:59 PM

It's easy to get burnt out on things when every step knocks you back two.
Go spectate at the track and find your motivation
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/10/14 07:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I am in the same spot. Blew up my engine end of 2012. Everything fought me trying to get the car going in 2013. Got it going this year, still fighting issues. It's close, but still have some bugs to work out. It is really frustrating. I am a pretty dedicated weekly points bracket racer, and last year I was in 7 or 8 different cars trying to stay in the chase. Just 3 different cars this year, but still frustrating. I did get to make a test and tune with my car and pile up some 1/8th mile hits. That stoked my fire. And a buddy let me use his car for the SBRA bracket finals, and I trailered a car or 2 over the 3 days. I have to admit, sometimes it felt like more work than I wanted to take on, as well as just selling and then going with something new to me. For me, I still enjoy the rush, win or lose, pulling through the top end looking over at my opponent and making a decision. To me, it sounds like you're as frustrated as I am, spending the money and time and not getting any return... yet. I'm working through it with the plan to swing hard right out of the gate in the 2015 season. I hope you get some good luck coming your way.

And in his spare time Chuck is one heck of a good track announcer. Can't wait to see you hit the track again on a regular bases Chuck (in your car) and anytime you need a hand, some Ho-Ho cake, or a sippin drink let me know. lets hit Quaker Steak and Lube some Tuesday night for all you can eat wings.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/10/14 07:10 PM

I can honestly say I know how you feel,its no Fun to spend $$$ on a Race-Car and not have any Fun with it much less not make any $$$ with it,I have "Been There Done That"!
But I just refuse to fail at something I want to do and will not give up.Because it does get better sooner or later more the later.
And once you get back on track again it will then be like you can do no wrong.Then once I got back to I could do no wrong I was doing good but it was more like work than fun.Now its fun again and I am more happy than I ever have been with my Racing,and believe me it is now worth all the $$$ and hard work.And I believe in the end it will be for you as well.
My best advice to you is if you are burnt out,step back get you a fast Street-Car I can not tell you how much Fun they are after you grow up and no longer a Teenager,but never even think about selling your Race-Car for the next couple of years.In a few years if/when you change your mind about Racing you will only have to refresh everything and maybe do a few up-grades and that will be much cheaper than having to buy everything.
PS Once you get Racing in your blood you will never be able to walk away from it! Good Luck
Posted By: 70satelliteguy

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/10/14 07:11 PM

I am currently in the exact same boat as you with car and parts at the machine shop. I also have been off from racing since June and wondered if I would really miss it that much if I just sold the car!
But deep down inside I realize that this stuff is in my blood and by your statement "Has this happened to you and how did you work past it?" leads me to believe that you really want to Work past it and continue with your passion and I think a lot of us need that PASSION in our lives. You need something to get you FIRED UP on weekends. Otherwise you will just be like every one else sitting on the couch watching football and getting fat.
Be patient,put everything back together and start back into it. At that point you will know if you should continue or not.That is what I am planning to do and am pretty sure that my passion will return.

And don't worry about getting old. One of the best racers at our track is 75 years old and just purchased his first dragster!!He is my HERO
Mike
Posted By: ChuckT

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/10/14 07:15 PM

Thanks John, for the kind words and the offer. QSL AYCE wing night... heck yeah!!!
Posted By: moper

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/10/14 07:24 PM

Don, you know I had similar issues in my past - we were talking back and forth through my divorce. I got rid of everything, because I needed to at the time for money and emotional issues. Sometimes you just have to reset the clock. You took a huge step to get into this car, now you're standing at the landing wondering why it's not as high as it looked...lol. It took me more than a year to rediscover the car things. And currently all I do is other peoples' stuff because of $$ and time issues and the amount of stuff my own cars need. On top of that is the GF and her two teenage kids that I've grown to love. So the time allotted is way less. but I don;t care. They're just cars. Kids will only be around so long and the GF is excited for me to get back into cars and racing. So my advice is simply go with what feels right. Your feelings are the only thing that are truly yours, so go with them. if you want t oget out, get out. if you need a break, mothball the stuff. We age worse than any mechanical devices...lol. You love it too much to make it permanent but if it's adepressive trigger and there's not much light showing the end of a tunnel, store it and go do something you want to.
Posted By: joes68340s

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/10/14 07:46 PM

I have gone through this many times for all the same posted reasons. Had to leave my 23 year career as a Aircraft mechanic with back problems. So I stopped working on car tore it down just to painful to work on. I finally threw it back together after sitting for two years and took it out for a tnt and it ran its best ever. You will know when to stop and then get back in taking a little time off can be good. I am running out of physical time as it is still painful but I had fun and I hope to get back to a few races before I have to finally call it quits. If you need a little more time take it.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/10/14 08:34 PM

So at this point you need to decide whether to keep going, or how to sell what you have. Rolling chassis and a fresh B1 engine. Personally I think you might do better keeping them separate, but maybe Al thinks otherwise.....he's certainly sold his share of cars. Love it or otherwise, I'm in this for awile. I've got my "fun" package near completion, and the "ok it gets me out there" package already tested and sitting aside just in case. I can't wait to get back out there in some level!
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/10/14 08:52 PM

I have been racing before I even had a license, about 40 years now. I have taken breaks many times. Some just for a year or two and one time for 8 years. When it ceases to be fun it's time to step away for awhile. I haven't raced for 2 years now mostly because of financial reasons. Car is together, needs some minor things that I could do now but I'm not in a hurry to do them. At 57 almost 58 I just don't have the drive like I had before. I know if I go out to the track though I'll be motivated again, so I don't go.

One thing I can tell you is you may not want to sell your stuff. It's not really costing anything to sit there and replacing it when you want to go back will be expensive. I just sit on my stuff until I'm ready to go back at it.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/10/14 09:09 PM

What I do............... THEN I figure it out..........
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/10/14 09:23 PM

If you race for MONEY and feel you need to win some every now and then to justify what you spend.........you should bail now. A race car is exactly the same as a boat. Just an endless hole you throw money into just for the enjoyment of it. Now some guys DO make some money racing, but unless you are a touring pro who wins a LOT, the money that you do win, will never recoup your overall investment. You have to do it because you love it and just like ANY relationship, there will be highs and lows. Most guys who sell out totally, miss it in a couple years, come back and spend MORE money. So best advice........it ain't eating nothing, so push it in a corner, cover it up and forget about it a while. You don't miss it after a bit, sell it.

Monte
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/10/14 09:41 PM

I have it all figured out. I will race at 5 tracks a year. Darlington and whatever 4 Drag Week is. The rest of the year its usually so hot, I go to the beach, on cool nights I ride
Posted By: John Brown

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/10/14 09:45 PM

I used to be a machinist for a very successful speed shop. I can give you the same advice I gave to friends back then.

Don't pay for anything in full up front. Only pay the minimum to get the work going and be sure to make it clear that you will pay the rest of the money when the job is done and you pick up the work and or parts.

That motivates the owner to get the job done in a more reasonable time frame.

You wouldn't believe the number of shops that run on other peoples money while putting customers off so they can live off the money while not delivering product or services.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/10/14 10:44 PM

I can relate. I am retired, 64 and for the last decade have had bad knees slow me down, and another issue sap my energy to the point I wasn't sure I wanted to race again either.
The big energy robbing issue is behind me, I have a new left knee as of two weeks ago, so with that behind me it is basically the money I have to spend and if the desire is really still there. I plan to get out one more time minimum, with a plan for the most fun I can ring out of it. If the desire is really fading, then it might be time to consider selling my project of thirty seven years. But somehow I doubt I will, I am just too tied up in going fast once in a while
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 12:43 AM

Don, I've quit more than once In 1988 I sold the M.W.Stocker right after the 1988 NHRA World finals, the S/G car went to Sweden and the bracket car went to Finland. I took up flying and leearned that it is a lot of work and not much fun unless I'm doing aerobatics I spun a trainer doing power on stalls accidently as a student I didn't know how to recover so I finally let go. The plane recovered on its own so my next 1.7 hours of training was learning how to recover from unusual flight position, hence the aerobatics A freind and good customer of mine bought a BB bracket Duster in 1990 or so and ask me to test drive it for him, he hadn't drag raced in over 25 yrs. I drove and raced that car off and on until 2005 when we moved to Oregon. I had started building my street Duster in 2002 to race the black guys in East L.A. on the street for money I didn't get it done before moving up here due to health issues, Prostrate cancer That car was a lot of fun and when I couldn't make it go any faster legally I traded it off for my current race car. My message is if you want to stop, stop and go do something else for a while Lots of thing in life are fun, some cost more than others I'm afraid I'm addicted to going fast and can't STOP I really should finish building my 1940 Ford tudor street rod and several others cars I have before I croak instead of building another drag car and still go drag racing Will that happen, probally not in the next few years Good luck, thnk about what you want to do and go do it
Posted By: tboomer

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 12:55 AM

I haven't driven my beater in two years. As most here know, my health took a major dump and I am lucky to be alive. That old 64 Dodge is one of the things that keeps me going! The thought did cross my mind about selling it but not now. I am gonna get back out there and kick butt!!!
Posted By: Cheatham

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 01:25 AM

if your in a small town or the only guy in town into race cars and or racing then i know it can become a loss of interest, having friends or acquaintances of racing in your neighborhood can get you motivated to wanna work and out do them. most all my old friends of racing have moved to other things like marriage and kids and drinking and lazyness. lol
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 01:27 AM

If you no longer have the passion for racing your car, then you can look at the whole racing thing very objectively. What are the reasons you race? Is it worth it? Can the same benefits to yourself be achieved easier or cheaper? It will be easy to decide not to race, and save yourself the expense, the time, and the headaches. Personally, I have never been in the position where the spark is not there. Even though I have sat out racing for years on several occasions due to time and money considerations, or other priorities, The spark is always there, and I always plan to come back to it. It's tuff to get motivated when you just dumped a bunch of time and money in and then the car is hurt, and you can't even race. When that has happened to me, I always start thinking about how can I do it different, to reduce risk, (make it more reliable, use better parts, oil it better, turn less RPM) that gets me back in. But then I end up pushing to the limit anyway and taking risks with my $$.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 01:42 AM

I'm doing this ( pic ). Many of my reasons for "switching gears" have been posted on this thread. Some of the main reasons for me are; one track in the general area and it is 1.5 hours away - and it aint exactly a flat lander trip. Track is overloaded with cars. Most the time you get only 2 time runs before eliminations. Once this year I went to T&T - track opened at 5PM and I was aloud to make a time run at 12.15 AM!! Did I mention I'm firing up 70 in 2 days. Due to the weather, there are a lot of night races. Often the eliminations start way after midnight - soooo far past my Jammie time it aint funny. My 33 Plymouth street rod will be a nice driver ( heat, A/C, etc. ) that I will be able to take to the track when the itch pops up.

Attached picture 8327493-33Plymouth4.jpg
Posted By: joes68340s

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 01:51 AM

That's another thing that can get you thinking is distance to track and traffic. Its 2 1/2 hours to the country track and 1 1/2 to the big name track both through heavy traffic. That bothers me more than the car or cost. That's another reason to take a break. You sometimes need time to re energize.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 01:57 AM

This is one of the reasons my Dart is also a driver, no way I could justify a pure race car. I'd really like to build a gen 3 Hemi but don't know if I want to throw the $$$ at it at this point in my life. I'm 53 and planning on retiring in five years. Plus it's not as easy getting up and down and bending over for long periods as it used to be.

When I was young an older man told me to take care of myself, I sure wish I'd listened. But damn I had a lot of fun!
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 01:57 AM

Been there, done that. I parked my car for about 6 years when I priced the fun out of racing. I didn't sell. I tried a couple of times but didn't get any offers worth considering. Eventually the fire lit again and I resurrected it to drive on the street. I needed to do something to put the fun of owning one of these cars there without the expense of staying up to date on NHRA certs/license and SFI items. Racing is really not in the budget anymore. If it's in your blood like the rest of us, the desire to play with it again will happen. As others have said, its not costing you anything sitting in the corner.
Posted By: TurboMike

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 02:11 AM

Take a break, but don't sell it, it's allways more expensive to buy it again. Mine has been on jack stands for 10 years, while life gets in the way. Believe me I'm going to put it back together with a mild 440 as a street car...soon
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 02:55 AM

I had a few hurdles to overcome with the Savoy this year and it never seen the light of day.It seems with the many changes I made to it this year things just kept mounting up to do it right.So I ended up giving myself more work to do and now I can't get motivated to do anything constructive.
So I'm throwing the cover on it and taking a few months off while I work to get more parts that I won't feel like installing
Gus

Attached picture 8327580-rearviewsavoy.jpg
Posted By: Brian Hafliger

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 03:10 AM

Quote:

I have it all figured out. I will race at 5 tracks a year. Darlington and whatever 4 Drag Week is. The rest of the year its usually so hot, I go to the beach, on cool nights I ride

What'cha ride??
Posted By: Keith Richards

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 03:47 AM

I'm trying to make my car sit and see if I miss it or not as well this next year! Too many other things I need to spend time on at this point in life.
Good Luck with your decision Don!
Posted By: stockerbill

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 03:59 AM

i found myself getting a win slip and drive right on to the trailer because it was time to eat. when that feeling happened every time, i sold all my junk and do not miss it at all! had a lot of years of GREAT times .. but it is a different world and very different kind of racing. All good, but not for me. However, don't get rid of your stuff 'till you know one way or the other.. no regrets
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 04:05 AM

Let me start by saying that I am NOT knocking bracket racers and/or bracket racing in general, but I think this type racing burns lots of guys out and here is why. You can spend thousands and thousands of dollars. Buy the best "toys" money can buy, go to the track and get your azz handed to you by some guy in a rental car. That is not fun and neither is going to a crowded track every weekend, getting a couple time runs and loaded up first round.............All these things are the reason I quit bracket racing myself. I did OK for a few years, even won a couple track championships, but it just was NOT doing it for me.

Then I turned my efforts to just making the car go as fast as I could and going to the track when I felt like it. That resulted in me going heads up racing, until that got out of control, cost wise..........The point here, is that there is NOTHING wrong with being considered strictly a career test and tuner. I personally had WAY more fun doing that, than I ever did shoe polish racing.

Monte
Posted By: Dragula

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 04:07 AM

Quote:

The car has been non-operational more than it has been driveable over the last couple of years.. Its been May since I last raced it and then had to pull the motor due to oil issues.. and currently its still at the machine shop with a long laundry list of problems... and at least another couple months before it'll be ready for pick up..

In the last two years, I've dumped a very sizeable amount of money in it and if I was married, the amount is so great, I'm sure I'd be planning for a divorce..

I feel your pain....All that investment and a serious lack of enjoyment that could have been used in many other ways.....

I found myself in the same boat this season. I won the championship last year, worked like a dog all winter, and I think that coupled with the loss of most of our meets at our favorite track due to ownership change, I just wasn't in it....Add that on top of the investment of buying the car I won with and sinking a few more bucks into it, and I think I burnt out and just wasn't feeling it this year. Not to mention they cancelled a lot of the TNT sessions I enjoy more than racing sometimes.

In fact my Hemi Cuda has been the biggest disappointment this summer....Pulled the motor yet again and will try this one last time. Can't wait to see the bill to rehab it about the 10th time.

In the mean time this past summer I found a new hobby....ATV riding...Finding people to ride with was not easy, either way it was a lot of fun the times I got to go..I plan to go a lot more next summer.

I even tried the car show scene a little this summer....That sucks too.

I doubt I will race much next year unless either the venue at my favorite track gets back to normal or my stupid Hemi starts working right I will probably sell one of the cars...who knows. Still finished in the top ten, 6th I think, but I hated the one track they put us at most of the season, so who knows..I keep thinking if I could make the Duster street legal and put a power adder on it, I might get excited again, but....
Posted By: ProSport

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 04:25 AM

Quote:

The point here, is that there is NOTHING wrong with being considered strictly a career test and tuner.

Good point Monte, I raced for 21 years straight and managed a few win lights but I've always enjoyed working towards a new best more than anything. It's fun and less stress than anything else. I haven't raced for the last 4 years, been doing other things and my 72 Duster street car is almost done, no roll cage, no tubs, no race gas, just get in and cruise with the option of blowing the tires off the car every now and then.
Once my 14 year old son gets a little older and the sports slow down I'm sure I'll have slicks and a roll cage again.
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 04:50 AM

I bought my race car in 99, parked it after the 2008 season, traded it off June 2013. I will never have another race car that isn't street legal. Had a ton of fun on Drag Week, and really enjoy going to local cruises, giving family rides. Just can't always find the time and energy to go to the track.

I also agree with Monte, in my younger days it was always about the competition, now, I find myself just enjoying the process as much as anything.

Attached picture 8327730-100_0405-Copy.jpg
Posted By: Sport440

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 04:55 AM

Quote:

I question if I'll ever get back the passion I once had..

Never lost the Passion for it. Did lose the motivation and drive sometimes because life gets in the way.

Im not a serious racer as some are on here, but when I do race I enjoy it. Im more of a test and tune guy, when it fits my interests.

For me the Passion will never be lost. Just because I may put racing or test and tuning on the back burner for awhile, doesn't mean Ive lost interest.

The cars not eating money if your not using it, push it in the corner and get it out later if you so desire. Like some have stated , it will be a whole lot more to build another if you sell it and then decided to do it again.

Passion here since 1972

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 05:07 AM

Oh wow!! It sure is nice to know I'm not the only one that feels this way and have gone through the loss of interest.. So I thank you all for sharing your comments and suggestions..

I'm sure its just a matter of too many dissapointments that have taken place over the last couple of years that caused me to enjoy this summer long break, but the moment the motor goes back into the car and we fire it up for the first time, that enthusiasm will come back... At least I hope so..
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 05:19 AM

its still at the machine shop with a long laundry list of problems... and at least another couple months before it'll be ready for pick up..

1: I have a friend that races too. Sometimes I call him and say .. "Tell me again what it is we love about this hobby" ! LOL
If I have to repair something I always ask myself what can I do to make this better and pick up HP, or speed, or even lower the future maintenance.

2 : The great thing about our machines is they will wait quietly, without need of food or our time, until we feel like doing something with them!

I realized that with this summer long break from racing, I dont think I miss racing all that much..

3: I decided over the years , that racing for a few seconds, after prepping the car for years, and spending a lot of $ was not a good deal. So I built the car to be able to run on pump gas, and be streetable. More driving time for the money.

4: I have owned my car for nearly 45 years. We have been through a lot together. I am so glad that I still have it now. I am more of the "Career Test and Tuner" as Monte says these days. I am really having fun making a few passes and trying to go a little faster.

5: So yes it has happened to me. I decided to try and make the car easier to work on, lower maintenance, and built the Hemi engine I always wanted!

Mark
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 05:31 AM

well Don....here goes! I was really surprised that you "dove in deep" sort to speak.... I mean after all, I've seen you pull your ride all the way to Vegas, just to sleep in at the motel and miss first call. That just seemed off the deep end strange to me But on the flip side..... you got a spot in the Q16 and we couldn't have slapped the grin off your face. Guess you just gotta ask yourself... how much effort? and is it worth it? ....and besides, we've got your back!

So what you gonna do now??? your in a bit deep I'd say. Get it done and roll with it. what else you going to do? It's five months to MaTS!!! see you there!!
Posted By: Wicked49670dart

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 06:00 AM

As Monte has said, the best part for me is seeing how fast I can get my car to go. TNT has been the best time for my family and me to run the car, each time out the car has picked up and my wife and kids are just of excited as I am. I work on cars 6 days a week for the last 30 years and always look forward to spending time on My Dart.

I will admit that I use to love watching NHRA Drag Racing on T.V. but now its really not that exciting, I really like to watch the Sportsman cars the best. Looks like we all have been there before! Matt

Posted By: dvw

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 06:39 AM

I ran for Championships in N/SS from 1998 until 2004. Hit all the races Florida to Maryland to Iowa. Didn't worry about winning races, only chasing the championship. Won a few with lots of top 5's and runner-ups. Then it was a job. We sold the car and I quit. Ran my street car a few times a year. And then got bit by the bug again. Spent 5 years building a car. Went back racing last year. Now I pick and chose when and where I run. I'm deadly serious about having a good time. I'm also deadly serious about winning. Just turned 60 last month. I'm having a ball racing again. And yes I still work full time.
Doug
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 06:45 AM

Hmmmmmm..

Mine's ALWAYS For Sale..

Chris..

Attached picture 8327832-MATS14.jpg

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 08:22 AM

I wish I could reply to each and everyone of you, but that would take too much typing on my part.. So let me just hit some of the highlites..

I already own a fast street car that we do drive on a regular basis.. I'd keep that one if we ever sell the race car..

I tend to agree with most of you... Bracket racing is really kinda boring and we get the most fun out of a heads up type race, however as Monte said.. The cost to compete in heads up classes is ridiculous and there is no way I could afford to keep up with the Jones.. (or should I say the Alguires) And.... my car is only cert for 8.50.. It would take a ton of money to lose weight and build it up for anything faster.

Most of the frustration stems from the cost we've had to endure, the lack of help from our local racers and the time it takes to get parts from vendors and lastly the amount of time it takes to have others do some work for you..

One of the bright spots in my racing career is the pic Jay posted.. That was taken at MATs on Thursday night, 3 test hits down the track and the transmission blows up.. To have all the Moparts people come rushing over to remove, rebuild and put the trans back in while I'm off acquiring parts was priceless.. It made me feel like one of the family and I cant thank each of you enough..

I guess the most concerning part of this summer break I had is I have zero interest in spectating at the races.. I've been invited to spend Thanksgiving in Vegas, invited to attend the VIP section at Pomona this week and there has been several races here local to me and something else more exciting has always come up....

I'm sure I'll get more excited as next spring rolls around, so thanks to you all for helping me sort this out in my head... Oh yeah, one more thing before I end this post..

I offered to Al that he could stay here (west coast) and race... and I'll move back east with Mrs Al for the next 3 years.. but that didnt go over too well with him... (wonder why)
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 12:20 PM

Quote:

Let me start by saying that I am NOT knocking bracket racers and/or bracket racing in general, but I think this type racing burns lots of guys out and here is why. You can spend thousands and thousands of dollars. Buy the best "toys" money can buy, go to the track and get your azz handed to you by some guy in a rental car. That is not fun and neither is going to a crowded track every weekend, getting a couple time runs and loaded up first round.............All these things are the reason I quit bracket racing myself. I did OK for a few years, even won a couple track championships, but it just was NOT doing it for me.

Then I turned my efforts to just making the car go as fast as I could and going to the track when I felt like it. That resulted in me going heads up racing, until that got out of control, cost wise..........The point here, is that there is NOTHING wrong with being considered strictly a career test and tuner. I personally had WAY more fun doing that, than I ever did shoe polish racing.

Monte

not really, I don't think you will find many rental cars in the super pro class around here. maybe in pro,sportsman. I know running super pro bracket can be challenging for many because you have to go 7+ nearly perfect rounds to get a win.
Posted By: Palindrome Cuda

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 01:47 PM

Racing is more fun when your family also loves it.. My wife always jokes that my son and I would race school buses against each other if we could. When we have cookouts,we always seem to wind up racing riding lawn mowers.My 9 year old grandsons love drag racing the bicycles. They all love going to the track and it's great family time. Do we like to win ? yes but the family time is well worth it even with a loss. But I agree if you need a brake,put it in a corner for while. You just never know who will spark your interest again. It may be some old guy moving in next door !
Posted By: BradH

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 04:48 PM

The MoPig has been in pieces far more than it's been operational for the last 15 years. I ran it hard from 1995 - 1998, hurt it (thrown rod & a lot of collateral damage), got it back together in 1999 and 2000, hurt it (wiped cam & a lot of collateral damage), got it back on the street & track in 2007(?)-2009, hurt it (an oiling issue that should have been found sooner that required another teardown, etc.), and now it's in a slooooow state of reassembly... again.

Three kids (one in 2000, one in 2004, one in 2008), wife & myself both experiencing periods of unemployment / reduced hours from 2007 through about 2 months ago, decisions to make upgrades to the car that resulted in additional $$$ and delays in getting things back together when it was down, etc. All this stuff has competed for time & $$$.

When it gets me down the most is when I tell my wife I'm ready to roll it out into the cul-de-sac in front of our house, douse it in 5 gallons of gas, and burn it to the ground just to be DONE with it.

So, yeah, I can probably relate.

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 07:57 PM

Jay I recognize those feet under that Duster.

Don hang in there all will be better soon. You will have a nice reliable engine that you can go beat on for awhile.

Or just buy the dragster we have here and go have fun

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 09:39 PM

I seem to recall this scene at that same race

Attached picture 8328192-matsman.jpg

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 09:44 PM

After a 12 hour workday he still was more than ready to dive in a help Don out. Is this not was racing is all about..BTW note the supervisor in the backround

Attached picture 8328195-matsboys.jpg
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 10:08 PM

I agree with what many have said here. I am kind of in the same boat but I refuse to sell it. I have been building my Challenger for over 6 years now & it still hasn't fired up yet for the first time yet. Hoping for next spring. I just keep saying one of these days.

Attached picture 8328221-100_1664[640x480].jpg
Posted By: RapidusMaximus

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/11/14 11:28 PM

Same song different verse here I guess...started on the street in the 70's, built my first bracket car in 84, went what I would consider full time bracket racing in 89 (every weekend), in 96 I started crewing 3 cars every weekend, a Junior dragster, a footbrake 68 Barracuda and my S/P dragster...it became a complete second job (read A$$ Whipping), won a few gold cards, a track championship, lots of big money races, from about 93 on I normally won enough money to cover entry fees, fuel and winter freshen-ups and a couple of years I actually made a little pocket change. However...about 2003 I started to become VERY burned out with it all, it was just too much and I didn't know how to quit, I had so much invested. Then...in 2006 I stood my dragster on it's head at about 170 on a freakin T/T of all things, destroyed it and nearly myself at a track that I had no business being at...chasin money...still refused to quit. Bought a new dragster, sold the junior (son was more interested in baseball), sold the Barracuda and started winning again and I thought "ok, back on track, less work, life is good", then in 2007 completely scattered (first time ever) a brand new 500" low deck engine, that was it, I quit, sold everything. Do I miss it? yeah sometimes, somedoay I'll build a door car to run Super Gas/Super Street and /or brackets but it will be on my own time at my own leisure (I still have parts ). In the mean time I keep myself busy by building a street car here and there but I will NEVER turn my cars or racing into a second job again.
Posted By: 383man

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/12/14 02:26 AM

For me its more my health and money that slow me down. But I am a gearhead and have been since I was about 12 years old and I love this hobby. I only get to race about once or twice a year right now and I can live with that as I have to live in my budget. And with my back and knee problems its hard on my joints to hang around the track all day so it all limits me. But when I can go racing I do love it. And I enjoy just getting my 63 out and driving it as its much cheaper to drive to the local cruise then to go racing although I would rather be racing. I dont think I will ever want to get completely out of drag racing or just cruising in my 63 as I love it to much. Ron
Posted By: Kindafast

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/13/14 02:33 AM

I went through more short blocks and complete engines than I care to count . I had a time a few years ago it seemd I could make 5 passes and rebuild the engine or transmission. I was in a sour mood for sure. I really never have thought about giving up though. It just made me want to get it right even more. Thanks to some good friends and some well built parts I have had nothing but fun with the old car for the past few years. It needs a little work right now but that is part of racing.. I have never, and hopefull will never think of quitting. It is as big a part of me as anything in my life.. Now don't ask me when is the last race I won.. That is a different topic all together..
Posted By: dakotawilly

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/13/14 03:11 AM

as you already know,its all part of the game.everybody hits the wall eventually.but the first time you see the car that makes the hair on your back stand up and your whole body tingle at the track ,the fire reignites again like it never left.i sold everything in 1982.it took quite a few years to want it again so i stayed as far away from the track as long as possible.but the first time i saw a super stock hemi 68 dart fire up again i was hooked all over.i have 2 builds going on now.and of course 1 is a 68 dart.just relax and go with the flow,life will surely let you know when its time to sniff burnt rubber and 116 fumes.......
Posted By: tubtar

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/13/14 03:12 PM

Speaking for myself , it seemed like an endless ordeal while the build was going on.
This is a return to automobile racing , so I left some streetability in her in case I wasn't serious about making the commitment to chasing points and everything that goes with it.
Even as I got close to done , the nagging doubts about whether I did this right or that wrong , the second guessing of choices I was locked in to and the idea that the number of loose ends was not getting any smaller drove me nuts.
But that first drive home from the alignment shop erased any negative feelings.
Only to be replaced by " now I need to do this " feelings.
" Finishing " a build , and granted that is a relative term , was all it took to give me that giddy like a school kid feeling again.

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? - 11/13/14 05:49 PM

Thanks again to everyone that posted in this thread, your comments are appreciated..

Over the last couple of days, I found out that a date was set for MATs in Vegas... which lead me to search the internet for more information.. when I did, I stumbled across a pic of me and the car in the staging lanes that got my excitement level back up a little..

We still have a long way to go before we can take the car out to the track again, but still.. I feel the juices stating to bubble again..

Here is the pic I found..

Attached picture 8329870-Mats2014-4.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums