Moparts

Why do we race?

Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Why do we race? - 10/30/14 06:42 AM

Some have loose screws, some have pent up anger, some are just competitive, some just have a lot of money, some are trying to get away from their Honey's. LOL.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Why do we race? - 10/30/14 07:40 AM

I love the roar of a healthy v8, the feeling of being pushed back in the seat, the top end charge, stuff you can only legally do on a race track. Also the competition, a chance to win, trying to improve, talking with the people i meet racing, the smell of burning rubber and race fuel, traveling to events.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Why do we race? - 10/30/14 12:12 PM

I love to beat the other guy.
Doug
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Why do we race? - 10/30/14 01:27 PM

The rush and beating the other guy! Tuning and working on the car to improve its performance. Something to do in my garage at nights!
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Why do we race? - 10/30/14 01:59 PM

Quote:

The rush and beating the other guy! Tuning and working on the car to improve its performance. Something to do in my garage at nights!

After football, racing was a good way to get a rush. A whole bunch of horsepower slamming you back in the seat while making a bunch of noise is almost as much fun as running over someone on the field.
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: Why do we race? - 10/30/14 01:59 PM

Suit yourselves, chicks dig it haha
Posted By: Big Squeeze

Re: Why do we race? - 10/30/14 02:24 PM

Quote:

I love to beat the other guy.
Doug

Truth....

Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, it all boils down to ego...without some to race against in the other lane or anyone to take for a ride around the block, we'd get tired of making cars go fast, really quick...
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Why do we race? - 10/30/14 02:34 PM

Quote:

I love the roar of a healthy v8, the feeling of being pushed back in the seat, the top end charge, stuff you can only legally do on a race track. Also the competition, a chance to win, trying to improve, talking with the people i meet racing, the smell of burning rubber and race fuel, traveling to events.

This!
Posted By: Roughbird72

Re: Why do we race? - 10/30/14 02:53 PM

Quote:

Posted By: kissmyaspen

Re: Why do we race? - 10/30/14 03:09 PM

The girl, money and fame... oh wait.. I do it to turn that little light on in my lane. to me it not just the speed, I will race anything. sometimes I go just to be with my friends that I have met through racing.
Posted By: 68LAR

Re: Why do we race? - 10/30/14 03:26 PM

Quote:

This about says it all.
Posted By: MoParFish

Re: Why do we race? - 10/30/14 03:33 PM

For the meetings...read my sig.... Actually, It's a blast to get our buddies together and race. Pit together, talk smack, get to know other racers, help each other and hope we don't get paired during eliminations. I enjoy being a participant Are there cheaper hobbies??? OOOOHHH YEAAAHHH

Attached picture 8315997-c5.jpg
Posted By: 383man

Re: Why do we race? - 10/30/14 03:53 PM

Quote:

That about says it. But I can add that I feel muscle cars were built to drag race and I wont street race so I love going to the track to let it fly leagaly. And I do love the competition of crossing the finish line at over 120 mph with another car right next to you that you are hoping to beat. Ron
Posted By: Digger73

Re: Why do we race? - 10/30/14 05:03 PM

Because I don't Drink, Smoke, Gamble, Do Drugs, or Chase Wild Women (Married 27 years) and I need something to do with my money. Besides I am addicted to speed.

Digger73 (Mike)
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Why do we race? - 10/30/14 05:22 PM

Quote:

Joel captured it pretty well. Even though I don't get the chance to race much right now, I look forward to the day that I can get out more. The only thing I'd add to this is that I really get satisfaction from putting the imprint of my own knowledge and hands onto my car, then seeing the results of those efforts.
Posted By: cl440

Re: Why do we race? - 10/30/14 10:27 PM

Because we love work and hate money of course.
Posted By: Eric

Re: Why do we race? - 10/31/14 01:35 AM

The people.......the people I have met at the track....the people I have met building my car....and the people I have met here and on other racing websites. Drag racers are the best people in the world. I would be surprised if I didn't know a racer in every state in this country and in a good part of Canada that would put me up for a night and that I would do likewise.

Posted By: Dads426

Re: Why do we race? - 10/31/14 03:24 AM

To get the kids involved in a sport that the family can do together. Daughter did horses, son started junior dragsters at 9 years old. He's 25 now and we are still racing.
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: Why do we race? - 10/31/14 06:54 AM

Because I can't find a better way to blow all my money!

Posted By: 383man

Re: Why do we race? - 10/31/14 07:15 AM

Quote:

The people.......the people I have met at the track....the people I have met building my car....and the people I have met here and on other racing websites. Drag racers are the best people in the world. I would be surprised if I didn't know a racer in every state in this country and in a good part of Canada that would put me up for a night and that I would do likewise.

That is so true. I would have made it out to the Mopar race last Saturday if not for a Mopar person who I never met other then talking on the internet that went over an hr out of his way to tow my 63 2 hrs from my house and stayed until I lost and towed me 2 hrs home. It was just to far for me to drive it which I could with no problem but I could not chance breaking that far from home with no way home. I cant say enough for Mitch (he is a member of Forbbodiesonly) the kind guy who towed me 2 hrs one way and would not take any money from me. And he even tried to pay the tolls ! Yes this hobby is full of great kind good people. Ron
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Why do we race? - 10/31/14 07:42 AM

Why do I race? Sometimes I wonder that myself The main and real reason is I like it I really do Usually Anyone want to buy a good race car? I have a new one to finish now
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Why do we race? - 10/31/14 02:21 PM

Quote:

This....

Re: Why do we race? - 10/31/14 07:35 PM

I love construction of things. I also love the smack talk from the streets to the track nowadays.

What I have noticed is that the main reason that we all have this need to go fast, then faster and then be the fastest (which there's no such thing because someone else just upstaged you) is that it all takes a seat to an age old human trait, Problem solving.
Problem solving is what it's all about. And problems need company which leads us to needing one another to figure it all out. Sure I love the smell of Cotton candy race gas, I love the design lines of the Mopars and other cars, and the line where it all starts and finishes, but it is problem solving that keeps me in the mix.

In essence if I may add, once we restore,build or discover that power and proceed with a race, we have restored built and discovered ourselves. It's basically a form of preservation through the thick of danger.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Why do we race? - 10/31/14 08:14 PM

Quote:

I love construction of things. I also love the smack talk from the streets to the track nowadays.

What I have noticed is that the main reason that we all have this need to go fast, then faster and then be the fastest (which there's no such thing because someone else just upstaged you) is that it all takes a seat to an age old human trait, Problem solving.
Problem solving is what it's all about. And problems need company which leads us to needing one another to figure it all out. Sure I love the smell of Cotton candy race gas, I love the design lines of the Mopars and other cars, and the line where it all starts and finishes, but it is problem solving that keeps me in the mix.

We think alike............... I first agree about the(mostly)good people which makes it nicer and easier to focus on the goals for that given day that we hopefully set for ourselves. NOW, the problem solving part as much of a pain as it can be it sure is rewarding when the stars align and we meat our goals, nothing breaks and we make it home safely. Good stuff............
Posted By: oldiron

Re: Why do we race? - 10/31/14 08:46 PM

Its a good question. The only thing I've come up with so far is, the glory, the payouts, and the groupies. (not necessarily in that order)

If I come up with anything else, will update
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: Why do we race? - 10/31/14 09:39 PM

Quote:

Its a good question. The only thing I've come up with so far is, the glory, the payouts, and the groupies. (not necessarily in that order)

Because we have no grey matter left. And the pure competition of putting the car together, then winning against people that have more money and make more passes. Also all of the friends I have made, being able to spend lot of time with my kids involved when they were growing up. I wish I could kick the speed addiction though.....too much fun.
Posted By: actionange

Re: Why do we race? - 10/31/14 09:45 PM

Quote:

Burnouts, wheelstands and staring down the guy in the other lane at the stripe...fun, fun, fun
Posted By: Duner

Re: Why do we race? - 10/31/14 09:56 PM

Why do we race?
Because deep down inside of us there's something wrong with us.
Don't worry though.... it goes away when you're dead.
Posted By: 1320Dart

Re: Why do we race? - 10/31/14 09:58 PM

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE racing against the other brand cars!!!! I don't enjoy having to race against another Mopar though. I feel it's us against all of them. We've always been the under dog. It doesn't get much better than that. And it's a true family sport
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Why do we race? - 11/01/14 02:15 AM

It's the machinery for me. I like working with the engine and suspension to get it going faster, better and safer.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Why do we race? - 11/01/14 03:03 AM

GUILTY

Attached picture 8317565-IMG_9998.jpeg
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Why do we race? - 11/01/14 03:18 AM

Back in the days before kids wore bike helmets, I was riding my bike one day, and I fell and hit my head on the blacktop...hard.
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: Why do we race? - 11/01/14 03:47 AM

Because I don't know any better !
Posted By: plycuda

Re: Why do we race? - 11/01/14 03:58 AM

because I like going with my big block steam roller tires and get mopped by a stock small block
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Why do we race? - 11/01/14 01:20 PM

One look at the smile on my daugthers face should explain all

You just can't beat that.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Why do we race? - 11/01/14 01:38 PM

Quote:

One look at the smile on my daugthers face should explain all

You just can't beat that.

Bill those that never get to experience racing JR's with their kids will never understand. the 8 years we spent traveling around and racing the JR cars are with out doubt the most fun I have ever had racing.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Why do we race? - 11/01/14 01:45 PM

So True

How does that saying go?

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.....

I wouldn't trade a minute of it for anything.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Why do we race? - 11/01/14 04:16 PM

Myself, the racing and "beating" the other guy is way low on my list of satisfaction, nor do I care about beating other brands. My goal is to take what I have and make it run the best it can. Could care less if somebody else is in the other lane. I don't race for money really and never have, because recouping your investment is not possible. This realization is what pushed me from bracket racing to heads up. Hard to be consistent when all you want is to go faster. Many guys are like this.........think we are called career test and tuners..............LOL!!!

Monte
Posted By: Duner

Re: Why do we race? - 11/01/14 04:26 PM

That fits me to a "T".

I'm a professional test and tuner that occasionally makes it past first round so I can say I race.... then I put it back in the staging lanes and change something to see if it goes quicker or slower when they allow more TnT passes.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Why do we race? - 11/01/14 04:38 PM

I like the competition and being able to make a car run the number over and over. the combined driver skill and what it takes these days to go 7 rounds + to win a race is not easy.
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Why do we race? - 11/01/14 06:10 PM

Quote:

Myself, the racing and "beating" the other guy is way low on my list of satisfaction, nor do I care about beating other brands. My goal is to take what I have and make it run the best it can. Could care less if somebody else is in the other lane. I don't race for money really and never have, because recouping your investment is not possible. Hard to be consistent when all you want is to go faster. Many guys are like this.........think we are called career test and tuners..............LOL!!!

Monte

This best describes my reasons. I do enjoy going to the track more, when friends are there, to share the "Agony of defeat", and the "Thrill of Victory"!

Mark
Posted By: Wv68charger

Re: Why do we race? - 11/01/14 07:40 PM

We are just backyard ET chasers got lucky and had our 15 mins of fame but it always has been about quality time with Dad 30 years of fun
We both love just being at the track and hanging out with friends, watching what we both consider real racing!

2015 can't get here fast enough!

Re: Why do we race? - 11/01/14 09:00 PM

I'm the same with the ET or go home.
Though when a grudge does pop up, it's a whole different game for all of us I gather.
Posted By: steeldust

Re: Why do we race? - 11/02/14 02:04 AM

Old friends and I have new friends but this heads up racing man I love it and if you are having a bad day at the track and a kid comes up and is looking at my car it takes me back when I was a kid .One night about to years ago a man and a woman with three kid and one boy came up to me and started talking he was handed cap and I let him sit in my car and he came back four or five times but the last time he came his mom & dad had a shirt made of my car and they said you don't know how much you have helped him and he put his arms around me and smiled I went in trailer set down.So I guess going fast and people I just love racing with my kids to.
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Why do we race? - 11/02/14 03:12 AM

That is so cool! I had a little girl ask me for my autograph at a race this year, LOL...I let her sit in my car and she was so thrilled.
Posted By: RonTheAnnouncer

Re: Why do we race? - 11/02/14 03:55 AM

Well, it's this guy's fault...

My late father started drag racing in 1956 at age 14 and did it until he could no longer do it 44 years later. I grew up at the track and was destined to get in a car and have at it. Now that I announce I rarely get to race myself (been 2 1/2 years since my last pass) but the love my dad had for the sport is in me and comes in handy when I'm calling a race. I get as excited for two kids racing 18 second beaters as I do calling Pro Mods. Thanks dad!
Posted By: old_racer

Re: Why do we race? - 11/02/14 04:53 AM

for me it's how I do against the other guy, if I lose it's cause I screwed up , poor lite, didn't run the number, but I was out there trying, it's a cool thrill.

Re: Why do we race? - 11/03/14 05:12 PM

I now really do know why we race.
We're time travelers.
Did you know that when you launch from the line in the current time zone and finish 9 seconds or so later that you are now 9 seconds ahead of the world you left at the line.
You're 9 seconds ahead in time, so in your fall back daylight savings time, you have to set your clock back 1 hour and 9 seconds. You're really moving during Spring forward day light savings though. LOL.
Posted By: Gary Robbins

Re: Why do we race? - 11/03/14 05:46 PM

This...#1 qualifier at a TEX275 jet limit race and at the time a new record for the class...And having to listen to MOPAR racers/gurus saying you can't compete with a MOPAR in headsup classes,Lol.

Attached picture 8320102-SilverfishDenton.jpg

Re: Why do we race? - 11/03/14 05:48 PM

And this...Making new young fans...I think this Brett Millers son when we were at Norwalk !!

Attached picture 8320106-Silverfishkid.jpg

Re: Why do we race? - 11/03/14 05:49 PM

Attached picture 8320108-Silverfishkid2.jpg
Posted By: 74yellowduster

Re: Why do we race? - 11/03/14 07:46 PM

Quote:

This...#1 qualifier at a TEX275 jet limit race and at the time a new record for the class...And having to listen to MOPAR racers/gurus saying you can't compete with a MOPAR in headsup classes,Lol.

sweeeeet
Posted By: 72N96RR

Re: Why do we race? - 11/03/14 08:16 PM

Quote:

That is so cool! I had a little girl ask me for my autograph at a race this year, LOL...I let her sit in my car and she was so thrilled.

very cool DG!!!
Posted By: 72N96RR

Re: Why do we race? - 11/03/14 08:31 PM

I loved drag racing every chance I could for many years...But once I strapped my fat azz into a road course car and did several laps I was hooked...It was just so much more of a driving experience for me...So I bought a 1985 Porsche 944 and did the basics to make it track worthy...THIS sport will get under your skin quickly to find a better faster car..Just like drag racing im sure! But in 2013 I was invited to drive ALL the new Porsche cars at the Ford Test Track...Now the bug has bitten me bad for a killer road car..
Posted By: JSR1485

Re: Why do we race? - 11/03/14 10:31 PM

Why do I Drag Race
It was a fire that started long ago , I was told when I was kid that could not build a car or ever race one that I built so it gave a me direction and purpose in life. I proved them wrong , I do it for the love of cars .
Plus who dose not love this! The way it was ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ7rAqjXr_8

This what really got me hooked when I was kid!
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Why do we race? - 11/04/14 05:36 PM

The Trill,The Speed and the Winning!In other words I like not only having the Fastest Car but being able to Win with it.It matters not how much $$$ you put in a car(but it does help to have $$$)or how much you know if you can not get in it and Win with it,its a waste of $$$.In other words beating the man in the next lane is Price Less and proves who is the Best Man on that given day!
"If You Want To Be The Man You've Got To Beat The Man"

PS I forgot the most important thing of all,I Like To Drive Race Cars!*!I some times drive other peoples cars at Big Races where there is enough cars that I have the time along with our cars.When it gets down to where there is not enough time for me to keep driving,I want only a percentage of the $$$ at the point I stop driving.If I win the race with your car (I have done that before)you take your car to the Winners circle and claim the $$$,just don't forget to give me my share of the Winnings! I like driving Race Cars!
Posted By: keefe

Re: Why do we race? - 11/06/14 06:58 AM

Racing is what I enjoy, It's the way I use to relax after a stressful week at work. It's hanging with your buddy's, having a few beers and racing trophy eliminator for a 50 cent trophy for bragging rights...LOL
But those days are gone replaced by boring azz delay box bracket racing...Don't get me started...
LMAO
Posted By: oldiron

Re: Why do we race? - 11/07/14 04:47 AM

The Glory! http://www.davemilcarek.com/110214/pages/11-2-14%20R1%20151.htm
The Big bucks!
but no groupies, probly cause I'm so ugly

I won't tell you how I won
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Why do we race? - 11/07/14 05:37 AM

I have been into anything mechanical since I was a wee lad.
Was it the neighbor tuning his Triumph hill climber in the alley behind our house in 1963 ?
The noise was like a magnet , and then to see the shiny paint and chrome and that vicious roar really set a hook in me.
Seeing friends older brothers working and beating on their cars always seemed so cool .......... one was serious about his craft to the point of open headers , slicks screwed to the rims and a gutted interior with a roll bar in his '65 GTO " street car ".
He raced on the streets for cash , which seemed like a very exciting way to pass the time.
One Saturday when he was working on the car , he put his little brother and me in the back and had us hold on to the roll bar......then tried to launch us into the trunk.

I was maybe 11 years old , but events like that left such a deep impression on me that there was no doubt I would engage in much of the same shenanigans when I got older.
The people I have met have been with very few exceptions , some of the nicest folks you could ever know.
But I have met nice people all over the place.
The machines really do it for me.
There is tremendous satisfaction in building a fast , safe car.
But I get just as big a kick out of seeing other cars too.
Not much cooler than an American two door coupe with a snotty V-8 to scare the neighbors.
Posted By: actionange

Re: Why do we race? - 11/07/14 12:46 PM

Quote:

The Glory! http://www.davemilcarek.com/110214/pages/11-2-14%20R1%20151.htm
The Big bucks!
but no groupies, probly cause I'm so ugly

I won't tell you how I won

Awesome news! Made the ride, wind and cold worth it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums