Moparts

da shocks on cal trac suspension

Posted By: Don_440

da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/21/14 11:43 PM

Just wanting to know who is usind them, what brand,how much better did you car repond. thanks don
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/22/14 02:09 AM

I have afco from Mark Menser. Made car car way more manageable and consistent. It went from 1.45s to a best of a 1.31. Goes 1.32-4 all the time.
Posted By: Sammy

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/22/14 02:50 AM

Quote:

I have afco from Mark Menser. Made car car way more manageable and consistent. It went from 1.45s to a best of a 1.31. Goes 1.32-4 all the time.

Where's your set Brad?
I'm getting mixed opinions. Some say loosen them up, others say tighten them up. I'm
Posted By: mcduff

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/22/14 02:52 AM

Afco here as well....1.41 best with Rancho 9 ways to 1.33 best with the Afcos. Very consistant 1.34 to 1.35 on decent prepped track.
I had added rear sliders as well during the shock change over.

Attached picture 8307912-mopartsdart.jpg
Posted By: a493demon

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/22/14 03:08 AM

afco's here .
the front one's helped my car a lot .
was doing 3+ft. wheelie's now down to about a foot.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/22/14 05:36 AM

A shock absorber on a race car only has two functions. On the rear they control the housing and on the front they control the rate of rise. On both ends they help keep the tire on the track with compression settings. The more power you make, the better shock you need. If you think $100 shocks will control the ends of the car just as good as a $1000 shock.......well that is just nowhere close to right. Many guys think, my car only runs "so and so" I don't need good shocks. Wrong again......LOL!!! Look under some of the slower stockers. They have GOOD shocks, there is a reason for that.

Now, what shocks you NEED, more or less depend on what you are willing to spend. One thing to keep in mind though. The trickest suspension in the world won't work right without good shocks

Monte
Posted By: Stroker Scamp

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/22/14 05:46 AM

anybody got a part # for the afco's?
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/22/14 06:06 AM

Quote:

anybody got a part # for the afco's?

3890M rear
3850M front
Posted By: moparniac

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/22/14 11:53 AM

Quote:

I called him... Quite surprised on cost per pair.
Posted By: dvw

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/22/14 12:22 PM

The $ that Diszuster spent with Menser was saved in the less track time, He spent more $ testing trying to get his 62 to hook. We're just scratching the surface so far. Went from having to be backed off to keep from spinning mid 1.6 to consistent 1.40. Look at how many rounds the turbo 62 went in the events it was entered in this year. Money well spent.
Doug
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/22/14 02:19 PM

My Rancho 9 ways worked OK at 800 hp, but now not so much w/ 1000+ hp.
I'm going w/ D/A shocks front and rear...probably going to give Viking shocks a try.

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/22/14 03:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Where's your set Brad?
I'm getting mixed opinions. Some say loosen them up, others say tighten them up. I'm

Tighten them up.

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/22/14 03:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I called him... Quite surprised on cost per pair.

Send your set in to get new valves. Its what I did.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/22/14 04:26 PM

I use cal trac shocks with my single leaf cal trac set up. No matter what shock you use, there is no one single adjustment that is right for all occasions. This includes the bar adjustments also. Besides 60 foot times, shock / bar adjustments can also effect reaction times - especially the bars ( tight to loose ). Running tie-wraps on your shock pistons can give you an idea of shock travel change when you change settings.
Posted By: Dyno1

Fast Shocks - 10/22/14 07:04 PM

Call Randy at Fast Shocks, 612-306-5387, he is a dealer and racer. He has Afco and Penske and can custom build anything you need. He has helped many well known racers from across the USA. Well worth the call. Dyno
Posted By: Stroker Scamp

Re: Fast Shocks - 10/23/14 04:14 AM

wasn't there a dealer for Afco on here?
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/23/14 04:50 AM

Quote:

My Rancho 9 ways worked OK at 800 hp, but now not so much w/ 1000+ hp.
I'm going w/ D/A shocks front and rear...probably going to give Viking shocks a try.

I also Bought set of Vi-kings direct from Chris.Let him know I sent you. Customer survice is beond reproch

Attached picture 8309096-7.27.14002.jpg

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/23/14 01:44 PM

Has anyone had good luck with the Vikings shocks yet? The two that I have spoken too haven't had any success.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/23/14 02:24 PM

hemi-itis...thanks, will do!

1967dartgt...From what I've read on YB they get good reviews. Some small tire guys in NC have had good luck w/ them too. Guess I'll see how they work next year...they're gonna be a Christmas present to myself.

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/24/14 01:47 AM

Quote:

Has anyone had good luck with the Vikings shocks yet? The two that I have spoken too haven't had any success.

Please elaborate

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/24/14 01:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Please elaborate

Car are not working on the nitrous, not hooking.

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/24/14 02:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Please elaborate

Have they tried to tune them??
I went for the aggressive valving on the rears,have not had the time to fine tune them as of yet

Attached picture 8309909-7.27.14001.jpg

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/24/14 02:16 AM

Yes I have pm'd them on what settings I would try. They have tried many settings no luck as of yet.
Posted By: D-50

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/24/14 02:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Please elaborate

Have they tried to tune them??
I went for the aggressive valving on the rears,have not had the time to fine tune them as of yet

Where are you buying the Afco's or the Viking shocks from and pricing? Since I changed to a 1050 dom. carb I am having severe traction problems that I did not have when I was running the 950 carb. I am using the Caltrac front shocks now and I think I need to go to double adjustable front shocks.

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/24/14 02:54 AM

Bought the Vi-kings from Chris at Vi-king. Shocks were like $700 plus $100 for the aggressive valving on the rears for a total of $800. Have been concentrating on fine tuning the carbs and and I think I found the sweet spot for timing.
Have not installed the fronts yet,another week or 2
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/24/14 02:56 AM

Afco has a lot of vendors, Viking Performance you can contact directly.

What's your rear shock? Could be the culprit

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/24/14 03:14 AM

Quote:

Rancho with 9 adjustments set on 9. I think the front is coming up too fast. It will pull the front tires a foot or so then blow the tires off. When I had the 950 on it it would carry the front tires 50 ft. and when the front came down it would unload the rear tires. That is why I think I need double adjustable.
The pic is when it had the 950 and hooked then came back down after a carrying the wheels a ways. Now it hooks for only a few feet.

Attached picture 8310002-landing1(Small).jpeg

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/24/14 03:42 AM

said it before .
slow down the front.

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/24/14 04:01 AM

Quote:

said it before .
slow down the front.

That is why I think I need double adjustable front shocks, am I thinking correctly?

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/24/14 04:04 AM

yes but prob. wouldn't hurt all the way around.

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/24/14 04:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Rancho with 9 adjustments set on 9. I think the front is coming up too fast. It will pull the front tires a foot or so then blow the tires off. When I had the 950 on it it would carry the front tires 50 ft. and when the front came down it would unload the rear tires. That is why I think I need double adjustable.
The pic is when it had the 950 and hooked then came back down after a carrying the wheels a ways. Now it hooks for only a few feet.

You need rear shocks, your rear shock is not keeping your tire planted. Your front is off the ground already and cant have a impact at this point. Valveing in shocks are not tight enough and your radial is bouncing and unloading. You will probably find once you keep rear planted you will need to limit front end travel or get a da shock.

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/24/14 04:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You need rear shocks, your rear shock is not keeping your tire planted. Your front is off the ground already and cant have a impact at this point. Valveing in shocks are not tight enough and your radial is bouncing and unloading. You will probably find once you keep rear planted you will need to limit front end travel or get a da shock.

Where is the place to get the best price on the Afco shocks?

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/24/14 05:16 AM

Mark Menscer 910-624-1119 for custom ones, you can get them from summit also.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/24/14 06:32 AM

We had tried Afcos on the Buick before and I wasn't impressed, so I put Santhuffs all the way around on it and they are really good shocks. Mark Menser came to us last year and wanted us to try some of his on the rear. He uses Afcos that he revalves to his specs. Told him my experience with the Afcos and he said that if they didn't work better than the Santhuffs on the rear, he would buy them back. He said the Santhuff was a GREAT shock, but he thought his were better for small tires and high horsepower. So we gave him a shot. The last two races on radials we have been (3) 1.06s (2) 1.08s (1) 1.07 (1) 1.09 and (2) 1.10s.......guess they work

Monte
Posted By: Tig

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/24/14 08:48 PM

Sorry for the hijack, could someone PM me an Email for Mark Menscer?
TIA
Posted By: moparniac

Re: da shocks on cal trac suspension - 10/25/14 11:55 AM

Quote:

We had tried Afcos on the Buick before and I wasn't impressed, so I put Santhuffs all the way around on it and they are really good shocks. Mark Menser came to us last year and wanted us to try some of his on the rear. He uses Afcos that he revalves to his specs. Told him my experience with the Afcos and he said that if they didn't work better than the Santhuffs on the rear, he would buy them back. He said the Santhuff was a GREAT shock, but he thought his were better for small tires and high horsepower. So we gave him a shot. The last two races on radials we have been (3) 1.06s (2) 1.08s (1) 1.07 (1) 1.09 and (2) 1.10s.......guess they work

Monte

Well that's reassuring , think I may see my rears to mark.
© 2024 Moparts Forums