Moparts

Will it pick up?

Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Will it pick up? - 10/21/14 08:41 PM

So MIRs Mopar day will be my 1st time out this year (and probably last). I added Cal-tacs, mono-leafs and swapped out my 18.5" Plastic Summit fan w/ a MP Viscous kit. I also blocked off the cowl area (so maybe more air will go under the hood). I do have some grill block-offs but they didn't net anything last year when I tried them.
So any chance I can get an 11.teen out of the car. Best so far is 11.38 @ 119 w/ a not so great 1.66 sitxy foot. I'm hoping for an at least 1.55 sixty foot.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/21/14 08:45 PM

If the weather conditions are favorable then possibly. Weather will have a huge affect on how a car runs for sure. You guys have killer air out there compared to what we see here for sure.

I hope to get out to some of the local tracks out that way this next year.

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/21/14 08:48 PM

Quote:

If the weather conditions are favorable then possibly. Weather will have a huge affect on how a car runs for sure. You guys have killer air out there compared to what we see here for sure.

Should be low 60's for a high (probably high 50's at the start) w/ low humidity and MIR is about at sea level I think. It is a great track. Slow people like me don't even need to use our brakes during shut down, we can just coast along
Posted By: BradH

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/21/14 09:17 PM

Have you done any tuning on the rear suspension since you swapped over to CalTracs + monos? Just bolting them on and expecting it to improve w/o having tuned it is seriously hit-or-miss.

What track were you at when you ran the 11.38 at 119? I know that 75-80 was always about .2 and 2 MPH slower than MIR for me; Mason-Dixon is about a tenth and 1 MPH off compared to MIR.

What were the temps & air density like the last time you ran? The forecast -- if it holds -- should make for some good MPH as long as the jetting is right.

If the weather holds, I'm going to spectate (first time there in years). Gotta a real name, or should I just ask if you're Mr. Yuck if I see your car?
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/21/14 09:19 PM

Quote:

I hope to get out to some of the local tracks out that way this next year.

No kiddin Al, I wish................Good luck either way.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/21/14 10:03 PM

Did you ever run the car since you put on the bigger headers?

From what I remember, you didn't really have that much of a traction issue, just a soft launch.

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/21/14 10:03 PM

Quote:

Have you done any tuning on the rear suspension since you swapped over to CalTracs + monos? Just bolting them on and expecting it to improve w/o having tuned it is seriously hit-or-miss.

What track were you at when you ran the 11.38 at 119? I know that 75-80 was always about .2 and 2 MPH slower than MIR for me; Mason-Dixon is about a tenth and 1 MPH off compared to MIR.

What were the temps & air density like the last time you ran? The forecast -- if it holds -- should make for some good MPH as long as the jetting is right.

If the weather holds, I'm going to spectate (first time there in years). Gotta a real name, or should I just ask if you're Mr. Yuck if I see your car?

You can call me Jeff...hahaha and thanks Dom. and I'm guessing there will only be one sublime 70 cowl hood Charger at the event.
The 11.38 was at 75/80 in the spring. Probably 70ish and nice. It ran pretty consistant 11.45-11.50 @ 118-119 thru the mufflers last year w/ awful 60 foots (1.68-1.72). I adjusted them from reading posts here and talking to thier tech guy. I added the fan after reading posts and that artical about how I was giving up 30hp w/ my cheappy fan. I have probably too much jetting (70's) I guess I could get un-lazy and try some 68's. Not sure if that would help or not. I just want to go run have fun and NOT break anything.

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/21/14 10:07 PM

Quote:

Did you ever run the car since you put on the bigger headers?

From what I remember, you didn't really have that much of a traction issue, just a soft launch.

bigger tubes gave me 1.5mph (118.3 to 119.8). I was told by a friend the butt end lifts too much and it starts spinning. I also have to hook up the pass side crank case evac. Not sure that matters.

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/21/14 10:08 PM

How did the 60 foot and ET compare to the old headers? The bigger headers will give you more topend (MPH) at the cost of lowend torque.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/21/14 10:14 PM

Good luck. Lets see a 10.99!

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/21/14 10:18 PM

Quote:

How did the 60 foot and ET compare to the old headers? The bigger headers will give you more topend (MPH) at the cost of lowend torque.

worse, not sure if it was because of the track or not. I'm sure 30+ year old springs/bushings and whatnot don't help. Only upgrade was Comp Engr 3 way drag shocks. Best 60 was on old ET drags and $19.99 gasmatic shocks.

and I'd fall over w/ a 10.99. I'd probably put it on the trailer and be done for the day...

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/21/14 10:18 PM

Quote:

So MIRs Mopar day will be my 1st time out this year (and probably last). I added Cal-tacs, mono-leafs and swapped out my 18.5" Plastic Summit fan w/ a MP Viscous kit. I also blocked off the cowl area (so maybe more air will go under the hood). I do have some grill block-offs but they didn't net anything last year when I tried them.
So any chance I can get an 11.teen out of the car. Best so far is 11.38 @ 119 w/ a not so great 1.66 sitxy foot. I'm hoping for an at least 1.55 sixty foot.

So, how are the c-tracs set up now?

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/21/14 10:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

So, how are the c-tracs set up now?

top hole 1/8" of pre-load. MT ET 275/60 radial Pros

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/21/14 10:31 PM

That`s a pretty hard hit in top hole but that`s how we learn what it likes. What shocks and settings?

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/21/14 10:39 PM

Quote:

That`s a pretty hard hit in top hole but that`s how we learn what it likes. What shocks and settings?

cheap C/E front and rear. It has a 3800 Turbo Action convert and 3.91's. I think I have the rears on the 40/60.
Posted By: tex013

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/21/14 10:44 PM

that is a hard hit in top hole . .I run the lower hole i average about 1.54/55 nowadays . not sure the caltracs will net you 2/10's but they will be more consistant
good luck

Tex

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/21/14 10:49 PM

Quote:

that is a hard hit in top hole . .I run the lower hole i average about 1.54/55 nowadays . not sure the caltracs will net you 2/10's but they will be more consistant
good luck

Tex

don't you want a hard hit?? and I'm looking for one tenth in the 60, that means 2 tenths down track.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/21/14 10:58 PM

You will likely have better success in the lower hole. You will also likely kill the tire with the CE shocks. All you can do is tighten them up as much as possible. Caltracs NEED a very tight extension setting.

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/22/14 12:08 AM

Quote:

You will likely have better success in the lower hole. You will also likely kill the tire with the CE shocks. All you can do is tighten them up as much as possible. Caltracs NEED a very tight extension setting.

what setting is that? Lower hole w/ how much pre-load?

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/22/14 12:14 AM

Mryuck,
my understanding is yes you need to hit a radial to dead hook it .I have gone as quick as 1.50 sixty . but I have backed launch rpm off a little to get away from the cherry monster .
it hits hard enough to flip the rear vision mirror and kick my ipod off the shifter
it will pull both front wheels off the ground and wrinkle the tyre at 18-20psi . I do use a 275 hoosier . tried both of the MT's , had issues with the pro275
with too hard a hit with not good enough shocks you will lose control of separation and possibly unload the tyre/spin out from the line

Tex

Attached picture 8307760-13-WAP408024.jpg
Posted By: D-50

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/22/14 12:16 AM

I have always had my Caltracks in the top hole and everybody is telling him to use bottom hole. I upgraded to a 1050 carb and went to the track 1 time so far and I made 4 passes with zero traction. Should I try the bottom hole. Sorry for the hijack, I might make it back to track this weekend.

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/22/14 12:21 AM

Mryuck,
I have mine in the lower hole .set bar parallel , 1/4 turn preload both sides with driver in the car. this is as per Travis @ Calvert direction . he said 1/2 turn max preload , 1/8 gap = hard hit.if car pulls increase preload on that side .
I have not adjusted since fitting the caltracs , just play a little with shock setting , softer on looser track

Tex

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/22/14 12:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

FWIW, my E-body is set up in the lower hole w/ 1/2 turn on driver's side, 1/2 + 1/3 turn on passenger side (pulled to the right a bit when both sides were the same) and the Rancho 5-way adjustables on #4 (pretty stiff). Your CEs would need to be on full stiff... and still probably won't be enough.

How much rise do you have from your front suspension from the static ride height? Calvert said it would need 5" (at least) of front-end separation to work, and he was right. With only about 4" it would top out after the hit and cause the rear tires to unload.

EDIT: Do you have adjustable secondary metering plates (or drilled out metering plates)? My experience w/ Six Packs on 440s was that the center carb "wanted" a 65 or 66 jet, but the outboards needed a good bit more fuel on the main circuit than unmodified plates provided.

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/22/14 01:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

FWIW, my E-body is set up in the lower hole w/ 1/2 turn on driver's side, 1/2 + 1/3 turn on passenger side (pulled to the right a bit when both sides were the same) and the Rancho 5-way adjustables on #4 (pretty stiff). Your CEs would need to be on full stiff... and still probably won't be enough.

How much rise do you have from your front suspension from the static ride height? Calvert said it would need 5" (at least) of front-end separation to work, and he was right. With only about 4" it would top out after the hit and cause the rear tires to unload.

EDIT: Do you have adjustable secondary metering plates (or drilled out metering plates)? My experience w/ Six Packs on 440s was that the center carb "wanted" a 65 or 66 jet, but the outboards needed a good bit more fuel on the main circuit than unmodified plates provided.

unmodified plates..stock 6-pack and I have 5+" of front end travel.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/22/14 03:08 AM

If that fan locks up before or during the run, you will loose ET.
Posted By: D-50

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/22/14 03:33 AM

Put a electric water pump on it and a electric fan then and eliminate all of the drag from them. I have been doing that on 2 different cars for at least 15 years with no problem. Driving down the road you do not even have to run the fan at all. I drove street drove them for thousands of miles per year.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/22/14 05:11 AM

It will pick up alright, not sure about the teens, but close. I bought the same power robbing plastic summit fan myself. But ran it on a electric motor. Teens will be close IMO
Posted By: 74yellowduster

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/22/14 01:29 PM

hey post your weights at all 4 wheels when you get a chance

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/22/14 02:04 PM

Quote:

hey post your weights at all 4 wheels when you get a chance

I have no idea what that would be. If the scales are open I can weigh it, but I think that just gives an overall weight. With me and gas I'm guessing 3800-3900lbs.

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/22/14 04:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

unmodified plates..stock 6-pack and I have 5+" of front end travel.

Like I mentioned, the blocks can be modified and the body`s t-slot holes measured to see if it would clean up the idle and lower speeds which translates to a cleaner top end w/some tweeks and fine tuning.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/22/14 06:49 PM

Try measuring the nose weight with you (get a freind to read it if needed )in the car then the total on all four wheels and finally the rear weight
Posted By: 383man

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/23/14 03:26 AM

All I can tell you is good luck and I hope to see you there. I have never run Cal Tracs myself but they do seem to work very good when dailed in. Myself I have made no changes to my car but I might uncapp it if I feel like it. Ron

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/23/14 04:43 PM

Quote:

If that fan locks up before or during the run, you will loose ET.

Are these thermal or centrifugal..
Posted By: dizuster

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/23/14 05:19 PM

Tighten the shocks up all the way, and put the caltrac bar in the lower hole.

The shocks you have won't be able to control a hard hit well enough, so you sort of have to bandaid that by putting the bar in the lower hole to let the spring absorb some energy before the front segment goes "solid".

But on the pro's at your power, you should be able to make the thing hook in spit.

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/23/14 05:37 PM

Quote:

Tighten the shocks up all the way, and put the caltrac bar in the lower hole.

The shocks you have won't be able to control a hard hit well enough, so you sort of have to bandaid that by putting the bar in the lower hole to let the spring absorb some energy before the front segment goes "solid".

But on the pro's at your power, you should be able to make the thing hook in spit.

is the "tight" 50/50 or 70/30

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/23/14 05:42 PM

50/50

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/23/14 05:45 PM

Quote:

50/50

thanks, will re-set to lower hole and 50/50 and have a go at it Saturday.

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/23/14 08:15 PM

IMO, you should spend the $$$ for a set of those billet secondary metering plates that allow you to adjust your outboard carb jets. You really can't tune all 6 "holes" by changing only the center carb's main jets.

I had my old Six Pack plates modified years ago to enable changing jets, but the new parts from Promax / Quick Fuel / whomever are a better way to go.

And if somebody was smart, they'd make the IFR circuits adjustable, too (if they haven't already).

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/24/14 02:17 AM

Quote:

IMO, you should spend the $$$ for a set of those billet secondary metering plates that allow you to adjust your outboard carb jets. You really can't tune all 6 "holes" by changing only the center carb's main jets.

I had my old Six Pack plates modified years ago to enable changing jets, but the new parts from Promax / Quick Fuel / whomever are a better way to go.

And if somebody was smart, they'd make the IFR circuits adjustable, too (if they haven't already).

Yep, that`s what I suggested to Mr Yuck............send me those blocks and I can make em night and day difference............

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/24/14 02:41 AM

Pssssst, Dom: Mopar Six Pack outboard carbs use fixed-orifice metering plates, not metering blocks.

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/24/14 02:43 AM

I get that but not the main carb............

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/24/14 02:48 AM

Quote:

I get that but not the main carb............

Yeah, but it's the outboard carbs that are lean and need to be tweaked!

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/24/14 02:51 AM

Ok but w/out a wideband how do you know plus That main block and body needs work..................period.

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/24/14 02:15 PM

Thanks Dom and I just might hit you up on that. The Pro-Max plates are $300 each or there about. No worries, next year it will have plates under the outboards and be hit w/ a 150 shot. Should make it plenty fast.

Re: Will it pick up? - 10/24/14 04:56 PM

There`s almost always improvement in carbs w/some basic mods and the 850 I just did for a friend is a prime example. It`s faster than ever on the motor(his words)and on spray he got super giggly and said it actually scared him...............love it. The cleaner and more fine tuned the motor is the faster it will be on spray..............
© 2024 Moparts Forums