Moparts

Exhaust temp measuring tool

Posted By: Moparmal

Exhaust temp measuring tool - 10/20/14 10:51 AM

Ive read where dyno shops use a device like an infra red reader to measure exhaust manifold temps to see which cylinders are runnng lean and which run fat.

Can someone recommend such a tool - preferably not crazy expensive?

What heat range do I need to look for?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Exhaust temp measuring tool - 10/20/14 06:37 PM

Any infra red hand gun that measures from 0 to 1500 F should work well I have several Most engine dynos have individual EGT (exhaust gas tempature in each header pipe )sensors

Re: Exhaust temp measuring tool - 10/21/14 12:40 AM

So they are called a infra red "gun"... Yes?

Thx for the heat range advice
Posted By: ahy

Re: Exhaust temp measuring tool - 10/21/14 12:43 AM

The EGT screws into each head pipe like a small oxygen sensor to measure gas temp. The infrared gun will measure temp if the head pipe itself... not as accurate as directly measuring the gas temp and also responds slowly to changes. Accurate enough to be meaningful? Don't know.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Exhaust temp measuring tool - 10/21/14 02:26 AM

Quote:

So they are called a infra red "gun"... Yes?

Thx for the heat range advice

They come in all sizes and shapes here in the U.S., I have a very small one that fits into my fingers with a button, not like a handheld gun at all Harbor Frieght probally has several cheap ones Buy a good one
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Exhaust temp measuring tool - 10/21/14 03:38 AM

Most of them look like this.

Kevin

Attached picture 8306881-ir-gun-s_z_g.jpg

Re: Exhaust temp measuring tool - 10/21/14 12:05 PM

One of our local parts suppliers had one - he looked at me weird when I asked for a "Temperature gun"..

..then when I explained he said...."You mean a "Non-contact Infra-red thermometer"

anyhow - heat range is what I needed - -35C to 550C..and they were on special for $50!

Thx for the help!
© 2024 Moparts Forums