Moparts

Modified Early B Body K Member

Posted By: MoParFish

Modified Early B Body K Member - 10/19/14 05:37 PM

Just figured I'd share a couple of before and after pics of a spare early B-body K member I just finished for my 64. Was 42.25 lbs, Now 29.60 lbs on the fedex scale. Main goal was to be able to remove pan with engine in car but I'll take the over 12 pounds of weight savings too. I'm adding a motor plate but removing motor mounts, brackets and limiter(chain) so I imagine it may be wash there, weight wise...

Attached picture 8305393-km1.jpg

Re: Modified Early B Body K Member - 10/19/14 05:38 PM

After

Attached picture 8305395-km2.jpg
Posted By: NTOLERANCE

Re: Modified Early B Body K Member - 10/19/14 08:05 PM

Looks good. There is alot of material gone there. Are you going with a mid plate or ears?
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Modified Early B Body K Member - 10/19/14 08:06 PM

Looks great! With solid mounts, should work fine and make life a lot easier.

Re: Modified Early B Body K Member - 10/19/14 08:48 PM

Thanks! I've got an AndyF motor plate for it. I'll start swapping it all out soon. Just wanted to get the other K member ready before I dismantled the car. Currenly has shimmed up stock motor mounts and an "old school" chain to hold it down. Moves around a lot...Mods are long overdue...

Attached picture 8305526-engch.jpg
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Modified Early B Body K Member - 10/20/14 01:21 AM

Great job MoFish

Did you peep DVW's K member build on the "Real World weight loss program and cost"? I think he even trimmed and closed seam welded the outer continental shelves and saved an additional couple of pounds.

I was thinking for a real stock look that your K as it is now can have the parts that were cut out be fabricated out of super thin metal and reinstalled so that it looks totally stock. I bet the F.A.S.T crowd has already done this.

Re: Modified Early B Body K Member - 10/20/14 02:27 AM

Quote:

Great job MoFish

Did you peep DVW's K member build on the "Real World weight loss program and cost"? I think he even trimmed and closed seam welded the outer continental shelves and saved an additional couple of pounds.

I was thinking for a real stock look that your K as it is now can have the parts that were cut out be fabricated out of super thin metal and reinstalled so that it looks totally stock. I bet the F.A.S.T crowd has already done this.

Thanks! I keep meaning to read the entire "real world weight loss" thread. I guess I should check it out.

Attached picture 8305846-7890388-getmedia-1-1.jpg

Re: Modified Early B Body K Member - 10/20/14 02:49 AM

It's encyclopedia thick at this point. Too much to read but a bible of source. DVW is senior to us all, but also the most neat and pro built unit in the whole thread.
I do wish I could find the Holy grail of K-members which is a stainless AFX unit. There's one on E-pray at $14K.
I believe the factory had it down to 17 lbs. But prone to cracking from violent wheel stands. Even heard in urban legend that magnesium examples existed probably just like Big foot.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Modified Early B Body K Member - 10/20/14 04:41 AM

Quote:

After

Looks great and have considered this deal myself............
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Modified Early B Body K Member - 10/20/14 03:37 PM

Quote:

After

Hate to be negative here but it looks like it will flex since one of its purposes was to tie the frame together. Are you still using the stock steering? That steering box will move with no more support than shown, maybe consider using a r&p. I'm all for saving weight too but the k-frame is a critcal support of the car and components. Flex at speed gets scary real fast.

Re: Modified Early B Body K Member - 10/20/14 04:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

After

Hate to be negative here but it looks like it will flex since one of its purposes was to tie the frame together. Are you still using the stock steering? That steering box will move with no more support than shown, maybe consider using a r&p. I'm all for saving weight too but the k-frame is a critcal support of the car and components. Flex at speed gets scary real fast.

That was one of my concerns too. It's one of the reasons I left all the flange lips in place. Stock steering for now. I may add another brace to tie steering box plate in a little better. I will be keeping a close eye on it all.
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Modified Early B Body K Member - 10/20/14 04:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

After

That was one of my concerns too. It's one of the reasons I left all the flange lips in place. Stock steering for now. I may add another brace to tie steering box plate in a little better. I will be keeping a close eye on it all.

No flexing issues the way you have it. On mine I did cut off around the steering mount but did add a gusset for strengh.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Modified Early B Body K Member - 10/20/14 04:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

After

No flexing issues the way you have it. On mine I did cut off around the steering mount but did add a gusset for strengh.

Sorry, I have to question that outright. No matter what, the OP's mods had to weaken the K member. Does it cause a problem enough to notice, we'll see. but it it was flexing originally, and its certainly flexing more now.

If the OP is satisfied, fine, my first suggestion would be however was to radius his corner cuts as much as possible, to reduce a high stress riser source.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Modified Early B Body K Member - 10/20/14 04:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

After

Sorry, I have to question that outright. No matter what, the OP's mods had to weaken the K member. Does it cause a problem enough to notice, we'll see. but it it was flexing originally, and its certainly flexing more now.

If the OP is satisfied, fine, my first suggestion would be however was to radius his corner cuts as much as possible, to reduce a high stress riser source.

I would have issue's too, but if he ties the motor plate in to the rails that should stiffen things back up I would think.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Modified Early B Body K Member - 10/20/14 04:34 PM

Yes it certainly would, but a K member is a 3d member, and a motor plate is effectively only 2d, and therefore is only a plane reinforcement, not ideal, but as you mentioned better, and completely dependent on the fastening method.
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: Modified Early B Body K Member - 10/20/14 05:44 PM

You can lighten the K frame – but you should also have forward bars from the roll cage terminating forward or at the motor plate – that triangulates the front frame rails. It also helps to tie in the shock towers to the forward bars for added rigidity. If you do not have forward bars – its gonna flex with that much material removed. I like to see the motor plate mounted to the forward bars.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Modified Early B Body K Member - 10/20/14 11:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

After

I should have added that i'm doing an iron Hemi in my 64 Savoy also and want to make more room for the pan. I installed cm tubing to the front rails connected at the front k-frame bolt tying into the shock towers. Once i get the headers built i'll tie something from steering box bracket back to shock tower then maybe i can trim k-frame more(keeping it triangulated). If you get any direct feed back on flex let me know and we'll trade info. I want us all to have safe cars that go fast.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Modified Early B Body K Member - 10/21/14 12:06 AM

If the car in question has a properly installed roll cage, with snout bars and the engine plate mounts properly tied in to either the rails or the snout bars........the K-member does nothing more than hold the steering linkage and lower control arms

Monte

Re: Modified Early B Body K Member - 10/21/14 12:13 AM

True this. I forgot to mention that a roll cage with forward bars should take up the slack in a door car with a K member modified.

I've left mine intact during my intensive weight loss program with the exception of the motor mounts being removed (Motor Plate) and adding a support gusset to the steering box mount. The Radiator support though very slim adds some rigidity to the front frame as well, but not much.
Keep an eye on that K.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Modified Early B Body K Member - 10/21/14 12:33 AM

Quote:

True this. I forgot to mention that a roll cage with forward bars should take up the slack in a door car with a K member modified.

I've left mine intact during my intensive weight loss program with the exception of the motor mounts being removed (Motor Plate) and adding a support gusset to the steering box mount. The Radiator support though very slim adds some rigidity to the front frame as well, but not much.
Keep an eye on that K.

Even with no cage, the motor and plate will do a better job of holding the frame rails together than the K-member anyway

Monte

Re: Modified Early B Body K Member - 10/21/14 12:49 AM

Yes, and that is why I made two mounting points with four bolts total at either end on the frame rails. Titanium bolts by the way.
© 2024 Moparts Forums