Moparts

degreeing cams with advance ground in

Posted By: mopar dave

degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/17/14 06:36 AM

I have a cam that has 115* LSA and has 4* advance ground in. i installed it straight up and checked it, i get 115*. recommended centerline is 111*. am i done or do i need to degree it to 111*? thanks
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/17/14 08:20 AM

Put it in a 111, never rely on the dots to be correct Degree it where it is suppose to be and be happy
Posted By: Clanton

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/17/14 02:28 PM

Quote:

I have a cam that has 115* LSA and has 4* advance ground in. i installed it straight up and checked it, i get 115*. recommended centerline is 111*. am i done or do i need to degree it to 111*? thanks

I can relate to your confusion,My cam was 112 and long story short I REALLY think mine is going to like the 108 now so what I am saying is think hard on where you want your RPM to be in relation to your ICL.How about some more info?No lack of opinion around here.
I almost forgot.

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/17/14 04:08 PM

i'm degreeing a cam for a friend. this is a 489 big block chevy 1000hp deal using a F1 procharger using race gas. its something like a 268/278@50 and over .700 lift on a 115lsa. he was told the cam has 4* advance built in. so now I'm wondering do I put it in straight up at 115* or set it at 111*?
Posted By: BradH

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/17/14 04:17 PM

If you installed a 115* LSA cam w/ the timing set indicating it's "straight up" and the ICL is 115*, either (a) the timing set was actually installed 4* retarded or (b) the cam wasn't really ground w/ 4* advance.

If you want it installed 4* advanced, put that ICL on 111*.

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/17/14 04:24 PM

111*,keeping my answer simple.

Attached picture 8303156-dialgaugeon.jpg
Posted By: Crizila

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/17/14 04:43 PM

Quote:

Put it in a 111, never rely on the dots to be correct Degree it where it is suppose to be and be happy

The confusion on this always comes in with the "ground in" statement. As cab said, put it in per the cam manufacturers recommendation. Kinda silly to second guess them right off the bat. After you have run the car for a while and you feel you need more power at the bottom or top end, then you can go ahead and make a change.

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/17/14 07:23 PM

ok, how do I check it with the open/close specs on the card?
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/17/14 07:30 PM

Every cam I've degreed in recent years was 4° advanced when installed "on the pin". I've always assumed this was to compensate for chain stretch.
Posted By: BradH

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/17/14 09:49 PM

Quote:

Google "how to degree a camshaft" and take your pick...

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/17/14 10:46 PM

Quote:

I assume it is a solid roller so after .050 lift with +lash it should read what the opening point is on the card.

Attached picture 8303572-degwheelon.jpg

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/17/14 11:54 PM

Read the card specs for the opening and closing specs and use them
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/18/14 12:02 AM

For the life of me i can't understand the reasoning for the cam manufactuers doing this. Just make it straight up. For a stock engine, dot to dot. Race cam degree it in like it should be. Maybe cam guys did this for the person who has no idea how to degree a cam in the first place but knows how to dot to dot. Reminds me of the time a dude brought me a 383 that wouldn't fall out a tree. Checked the cam and found a 8• retarded button on the cam pin and 4• retarded crank keyway. After i fixed it i told him not to touch the engine again, he said why...

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/18/14 12:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Google "how to degree a camshaft" and take your pick...

Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/18/14 01:05 AM

Quote:

For the life of me i can't understand the reasoning for the cam manufactuers doing this. Just make it straight up. For a stock engine, dot to dot. Race cam degree it in like it should be. Maybe cam guys did this for the person who has no idea how to degree a cam in the first place but knows how to dot to dot. Reminds me of the time a dude brought me a 383 that wouldn't fall out a tree. Checked the cam and found a 8• retarded button on the cam pin and 4• retarded crank keyway. After i fixed it i told him not to touch the engine again, he said why...

Problem is dot 2 dot isn`t always where it should be.........

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/18/14 01:31 AM

advanced the dot is to the left and retarded to the right of the crank dot but you must check cam lobes to see how it is ground.

Attached picture 8303710-cranktiminggear.jpg

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/18/14 01:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

For a 318 2barrel it is or any dead stock engine for that matter
Posted By: Sport440

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/18/14 02:01 AM

Quote:

No your not done. Advanced ground in or not, what you measure is where your at. If your measurements are correct, your at a 115 ICL and not the 111 recommended centerline.

Throw any advance ground in out the window. Measure it, as installed and That's where your at.

Edit; Just saw the combo, you may want it in at 115 ICL with the procharger. Any recommended ICL isn't the All gospel. Its Combo related.
Posted By: GY3

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/18/14 02:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Any time you introduce aftermarket parts into the mix, you run the risk of parts not being machined or stamped correctly.

I always degree a cam even if its a stock rebuild!

Dot to dot does not cut it!
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/18/14 02:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Any time you introduce aftermarket parts into the mix, you run the risk of parts not being machined or stamped correctly.

Thank you............as Monte said; Some may actually run well once they stop "ASSuming things are correct.

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/18/14 04:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

For the life of me i can't understand the reasoning for the cam manufactuers doing this. Just make it straight up. For a stock engine,

Some people CAN'T read, STOCK parts. Who said anything about after market parts, besides any John Does car comes in for a rebuild, whatever it is will be flat rated and out the door no cam degreeing no anything, get in the real world please. Machine shops can't compete with the sweat shop builders now poping out small block chevys for under a grand complete with 3 year 100,000 mile waranty, do you tjonk thdy degree a cam,heck do you think any of the big 3 degree their cams? It is a waste of time but you do it your way and the other 99.99% there way. Now go give Monte a kiss

Thank you............as Monte said; Some may actually run well once they stop "ASSuming things are correct.

Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/18/14 04:59 AM

Doesnt matter what they say it is, it is what it is. Degree it to what it should be.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/18/14 05:23 AM

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2007/04/DontBeRetarded/
Posted By: 383man

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/18/14 08:29 AM

As said set it on 111. To me dot to dot is just a starting point and means nothing as you should always check and set the cam on any race/high performance eng. Dot to dot is not always right as many chains will not have the cam right on so as I said its just a starting point to me so you can install the cam close enough to check and degree it. You could put it in dot to dot and have 112 on one chain and gear set and 107 on another. Straight up just means you set the Installed Centerline to the Lobe Seperation Angle. You have to move the installed centerline to 111 to be 4 degrees advanced. Good luck , Ron

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/18/14 09:02 AM

i degree'd it to 111 and the @50 specs don't match whats on the card. that's why i asked how to check @50 op/cl.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/18/14 09:09 AM

Quote:

i degree'd it to 111 and the @50 specs don't match whats on the card. that's why i asked how to check @50 op/cl.

Maybe this will help..

268/2= 134-111= 23 BTDC

Check to see if that's what the intake is set at..

You should be good to go then..

Chris..

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/18/14 09:10 AM

yes, i set it straight up to see where it was at and get some direction on which way to go. i advanced it with a 9way crank gear A2 slot and get 111.25, but the @50 intake close spec does not match card.

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/18/14 12:50 PM

As an example of "dot to dot", I installed a Cloyes Tru-roller and MP .528 mechanical in a 440 a few years ago. Dot to dot was 8° retarded!

Once you have the tools (cheap!)it's a simple process to do it every single time!

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/18/14 02:08 PM

Quote:

As an example of "dot to dot", I installed a Cloyes Tru-roller and MP .528 mechanical in a 440 a few years ago. Dot to dot was 8° retarded!

Once you have the tools (cheap!)it's a simple process to do it every single time!

8* is 1 tooth on the cam gear and may be easier than adjusting the crank gear if it is not made for that much adv.

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/18/14 02:11 PM

Quote:

yes, i set it straight up to see where it was at and get some direction on which way to go. i advanced it with a 9way crank gear A2 slot and get 111.25, but the @50 intake close spec does not match card.

Did you account for the lash or could the lifter be sticking?

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/18/14 04:25 PM

one thing that may be an issue is the crank socket doesn't fit tight enough on the keyway. i'v used several of these comp. sockets(Pontiac,sm chevy, bg chevy and mopar) and they all have slop in the keyway. I tried tightening them up with tape, but it doesn't eliminate all the slop. I get about 1* of movement either way.

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/18/14 04:27 PM

thanks chris, i'll give that a try.

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/18/14 05:15 PM

Quote:

one thing that may be an issue is the crank socket doesn't fit tight enough on the keyway. i'v used several of these comp. sockets(Pontiac,sm chevy, bg chevy and mopar) and they all have slop in the keyway. I tried tightening them up with tape, but it doesn't eliminate all the slop. I get about 1* of movement either way.

Maybe if you cut some strips from a pop or beer can and shim the gap in the socket to the keyway it will work better how you want.

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/18/14 05:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

8* is 1 tooth on the cam gear and may be easier than adjusting the crank gear if it is not made for that much adv.

That's what I did. Still, gear was misstamped!

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/18/14 06:23 PM

What motor did you find that one tooth is eight degrees? I found on the Cloyes double roller timing sets for BB Mopars that one tooth on the cam gear was twelve degrees That gear set needed the cam dot a tiny bit to the left of the crank dot to make it degree in correctly When I first inbstalled that gear set the cam dot was a tiny bit to the right(looking from the front of the motor)of the crank dot instead of straight up, it was retarded twelve degrees no matter which keyway I used on the crank sprocket I moved it one tooth to the left and the dang thang line up to the left a tiny bit and degree in where it shoud have been That is the main reason I insist on here and to anyones that ask me to ALWAY degree the cam when changing any part of the timing gear set or cams

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/18/14 06:32 PM

ok, I was gonna use a trimmed piece of feeler gage, but i'll try the beer can. i'm second guessing myself because as I barred the engine I noticed the exhaust lifter was on the lobe past TDC, alittle further than I thought it should.

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/18/14 07:25 PM

yes, solid roller. the degree wheel have has 0 to 180 in both directions. I have seen wheels that go from right to left 0 to 360. which one is easier to use?

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/18/14 07:34 PM

Quote:

ok, I was gonna use a trimmed piece of feeler gage, but i'll try the beer can. i'm second guessing myself because as I barred the engine I noticed the exhaust lifter was on the lobe past TDC, alittle further than I thought it should.

on the opening of intake lobe there is overlap of the exh lobe until after TDC a little.

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/18/14 07:56 PM

The wider the LSA, the less overlap at TDC OP, I have several different degree wheels, I haven't found the perfect one yet The width of the pointer can have a affect on how they read, as much as 1/2 degree BTW, I've yet to see a motor that would react to one degree change of valve timing LSA or lobe center timing on the dyno or at the track, maybe the little C.I. motors will react to that
Posted By: chargerbr549

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/19/14 07:08 AM

Generally when degreeing camshafts one of the ways to degree it in is to use the ICL (intake centerline method) which is basically a measurement of the relationship of the intake lobe centerline to the crankshaft position not to be confused with the LSA (lobe seperation angle) which is a reference to the relationship of the intake centerline and exhaust centerline to each other, sometimes the numbers are the same on the cam card but they have completely different meanings, you can change the ICL by advancing or retarding the camshaft but you can't change the the LSA since that is already ground in from the cam manufacturer.
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/19/14 01:37 PM

Im a little surprised here. There is a lot of information being tossed around here,but no one has asked the question, " who SPECD the cam". Typically,in a Procharger application,someone with pressure or boosted knowledge is involved in the cam selection process. Just like in turbo,charged anf nitrous set up,you start seeing some wider LSAs for a reason.Just because the cam card says Xxx degrees ground in, it doesnt mean it MUST be installed there. I would ask the person who actually specd the cam and or Procharger first if it was my momey

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/19/14 04:24 PM

Steve Morris spec'ed the cam and bullet ground it. I just ordered a new dial indicator with mag base as my old one was questionable.

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/19/14 04:46 PM

Quote:

Im a little surprised here. There is a lot of information being tossed around here,but no one has asked the question, " who SPECD the cam". Typically,in a Procharger application,someone with pressure or boosted knowledge is involved in the cam selection process. Just like in turbo,charged anf nitrous set up,you start seeing some wider LSAs for a reason.Just because the cam card says Xxx degrees ground in, it doesnt mean it MUST be installed there. I would ask the person who actually specd the cam and or Procharger first if it was my momey

that's what I did. Steve Morris was my starting point also. Ended up with a comp cams grind.
I always use the positive stop method to find true TDC. Most accurate way. I also run my dial indicator directly off the lifter ( home made with 2 lifters and a section of pipe in between ). To eliminate any confusion, I always degree using the opening / closing #'s ( @.050) on the cam card. I don't do all the lobes, but I dodo one intake and one exhaust. Never had a cam where one # lined up while others didn't. Possible though, as I never checked them all.

Attached picture 8305345-positivestop.jpg

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/19/14 04:48 PM

degreeing

Attached picture 8305346-camdegreeing.jpg
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/19/14 11:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

that's what I did. Steve Morris was my starting point also. Ended up with a comp cams grind.
I always use the positive stop method to find true TDC. Most accurate way. I also run my dial indicator directly off the lifter ( home made with 2 lifters and a section of pipe in between ). To eliminate any confusion, I always degree using the opening / closing #'s ( @.050) on the cam card. I don't do all the lobes, but I dodo one intake and one exhaust. Never had a cam where one # lined up while others didn't. Possible though, as I never checked them all.

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/27/14 03:07 AM

ok, finished degreeing cam today. I check open/close numbers. card says 23 open and 65 close. @.050 open I get 22 and @.050 before max lift I get 65. am I doing this right? the install centerline is correct at 111*. thanks

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/27/14 04:36 AM

Your close enough for most folks One degree either side can be chain stretch or optical error Did you check the intake lobe timing by checking it at max lobe lift? Also are you checking intake and exhaust valve to piston clearances? If please do so with a soft checking spring on both valves I do that and check the intake and exhaust lobe timing for lobe seperation angles at the retainers on the same valves at the same time I do check them 3 different times at. 200, .100 and .050 before max lift on both valves to get rid of the one degree errors found at one place or the other I have seen some ILC change by one degree at all three places, 105,104 and 103 That cam went back to the maker
Posted By: Sport440

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/27/14 05:52 AM

Quote:

ok, finished degreeing cam today. I check open/close numbers. card says 23 open and 65 close. @.050 open I get 22 and @.050 before max lift I get 65. am I doing this right? the install centerline is correct at 111*. thanks

With a 268* duration cam, a .050 23 open BTDC and a close ABDC of 65* will be at a 111* ICL Your at 22/65 close enough. Im always off by a half degree or so. Tolerances when measuring ICL, is tough to get it closer then that. And its not needed, to be more accurate then that.

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/27/14 03:20 PM

I thought the @50 open/close numbers where measured at .050 open and .050 just before close, but at the 50 before close I got 115. didn't match card, so I tried 50 after max lift and no match either. 50 before max lift and I get 65.
why do they give the close point at .050 before max lift?
i'm done with it now. I told him to check valve clearance and button it up. thanks

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/27/14 07:18 PM

Quote:

I thought the @50 open/close numbers where measured at .050 open and .050 just before close, but at the 50 before close I got 115. didn't match card, so I tried 50 after max lift and no match either. 50 before max lift and I get 65.
why do they give the close point at .050 before max lift?
i'm done with it now. I told him to check valve clearance and button it up. thanks

They don't provide any information on .050 before or after max lift on any cam card I ever seen Most of the checking numbers on the cam card are in reference to before top dead center BTDC and after bottom dead center ABDC on the intake and before bottom dead center BBDC and after top dead center, ATDC, on the exhaust Finding the max lobe lift on the exhaust and intake lobes in relation to BTDC and ATDC is the hard part without coaching, mentoring, or further instructions
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/27/14 08:33 PM

some stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VwsbEg7Z4I&feature=related

http://www.stockcarracing.com/techarticles/scrp_0607_how_to_degree_a_camshaft/

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/116_0701_how_to_degree_a_camshaft/

http://www.wallaceracing.com/cambasics.htm
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/27/14 09:02 PM

Before and after max lift.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcMuttJ9RFc

Heads on at the valve retainer max lift meathod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LcYEZwOIQQ

This is a good @.050 demo but he should have backed up and rotated right to .050 before close AFTER BDC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qflw6P_p4hE

Re: degreeing cams with advance ground in - 10/28/14 04:59 AM

thanks guys
© 2024 Moparts Forums