Moparts

Vacuum pumps

Posted By: 340B5

Vacuum pumps - 10/05/14 07:02 PM

Anybody run an aerospace components vac pump? How do you like it?

Also, does anyone use an oem smog pump to pull vacuum and how long do they last?
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Vacuum pumps - 10/05/14 08:25 PM

My buddy has one he will sell you. He said it was junk. He has a GZ now and I have a three vane moroso.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Vacuum pumps - 10/05/14 11:00 PM

I have a four vane Moroso pump that I'm not using anymore. I switched to a dry sump so I do not need the vacuum pump.
Posted By: Eric

Re: Vacuum pumps - 10/06/14 03:16 AM

Wafflebatter on here with the SBC Roadster has one..it works for him. I've heard the GZ is a nice piece.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Vacuum pumps - 10/06/14 05:46 AM

One of the local racers was sold a Aerospace complete vacume system, it struggles to hold 12 inches at part throttle above 2500 RPM That is on a 572 C.I. World block Go with a Star or Moroso pump
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Vacuum pumps - 10/06/14 04:59 PM

I would be happy with 12 inches. I don't like those horror stories associated with 20 inches. And it's not like it's gonna make your car a whole lot faster.
Posted By: slammedR/T

Re: Vacuum pumps - 10/06/14 06:16 PM

Love my aerospace vacuum pump.

Re: Vacuum pumps - 10/06/14 11:01 PM

Quote:

I would be happy with 12 inches. I don't like those horror stories associated with 20 inches. And it's not like it's gonna make your car a whole lot faster.

I understand that at around 20" the pump can pull oil in suspension out of the crankcase causing lack of lubrication in some areas.

Re: Vacuum pumps - 10/06/14 11:02 PM

Quote:

How long have you had that pump?
Posted By: slammedR/T

Re: Vacuum pumps - 10/07/14 02:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

How long have you had that pump?

Over a year now, I bought the releif valve that goes on the pump, have a vacuum gauge in the othe valve cover, about 5-8 inches at idle and 12-15 WOT.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Vacuum pumps - 10/07/14 02:16 PM

I have an Aerospace vacuum pump and I do NOT recommend anyone else getting one. Mine pulls 6-8" at WOT and that's w/ the regulator maxed out.
My first one lost vacuum, rebuilt it, then it later destroyed itself (shaft seized). I got another one only b/c they cut me a good deal on a replacement and the cost to change to another brand of pump was real high at the time.

Aerospace's drive mandrel sucks too. No way to lock down the pullies good (just a little set screw) so they'll work loose, then they gall the shaft. When the pump locked up, it tweaked the shaft on the mandrel and caused a vibration.
I have a mandrel setup from CV products now...MUCH nicer and stronger.

When my current pump fails, I'll probably get one from GZ.
Posted By: Wv68charger

Re: Vacuum pumps - 10/07/14 02:54 PM

We have a GZ on our engine but it gave Chuck a bit of a headache maybe he'll chime in.
Posted By: Diablo

Re: Vacuum pumps - 10/07/14 03:53 PM

Over the years I've had nearly every kind on our engines. Areospace was probably the worse. GZ was certainly the best bang for the buck! Star or Morosso's Promod pump were the best
© 2024 Moparts Forums