Moparts

oil filters remove oil additives?

Posted By: Anonymous

oil filters remove oil additives? - 01/04/09 05:14 PM

This was a topic at lunch. Apparently a big name cam company had an issue with a camshaft going south and they blamed the oil filter. It was stated that the oil filter was removing the necessary additives to prevent premature wear. Like many of you I have read the information provided on zddplus.com. I beleive it isn't right to name either company as they have no reps on this site. I am curious to hear your comments!

thanks

Mike
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: oil filters remove oil additives? - 01/04/09 05:27 PM

I have heard many times that Moly can be filtered out, especially when a high density filter (like a "Pro 1"). Edit: "Pure 1" not Pro 1. Not sure about Zinc/Phosphorous though.

And I know Comp Cams additive is a megadose of Moly, not zinc.
Posted By: aarcuda

Re: oil filters remove oil additives? - 01/04/09 05:42 PM

i used zzddplus in my motor when i broke it in. i also checked the filter and didnt find any obvious signs of additives. but most importantly, my cam didnt flatten

Re: oil filters remove oil additives? - 01/04/09 05:45 PM

This filter was sent to an outside lab and from what I understand,the anti wear additives like Zinc and Phosphorous were filtered out. Myself I just can't beleive it?
Posted By: aarcuda

Re: oil filters remove oil additives? - 01/04/09 05:49 PM

we need to know what filter it was. maybe it is some high tech microparticle filter. but I cant believe that a filter that lets oil through would filter out the zinc and phosphorous seeing as these particles are so tiny.

Re: oil filters remove oil additives? - 01/04/09 07:01 PM

lets just say that you can buy this filter at any Napa store. This is not a fancy filter! I am no chemist but I beleive that this is a bogus statement as the cam went sour and someone is looking for an excuse.
Posted By: pushbutton

Re: oil filters remove oil additives? - 01/04/09 07:12 PM

If filters filter out the additives why wasn't this a problem before the additives were removed from the oil?
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: oil filters remove oil additives? - 01/04/09 07:12 PM

Quote:

lets just say that you can buy this filter at any Napa store. This is not a fancy filter! I am no chemist but I beleive that this is a bogus statement as the cam went sour and someone is looking for an excuse.

A Napa gold? You really need to tell so that we can make all types of assumptions! . Seriously, though, if its a two stage like a Pure 1 maybe it can happen. Different filters DO filter out a different size 'mininum particle' size.
Also I have heard (don't know though) that Moly is a bigger particle than zinc.
Its also said that Zinc blended in my the oil 'manufacturer' tends or can be a smaller particle size than zinc additives. True? I don't know.
I do know that Comp Cams additive (again Moly) is pitch black, ZDDPlus looks like honey colored oil. Not sure if thats indicative of anything, just pointing it out.

With my ZDDPlus I run a Wix or Napa Gold filter.

Re: oil filters remove oil additives? - 01/04/09 07:14 PM

Bingo!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: oil filters remove oil additives? - 01/04/09 11:29 PM

Quote:

Another cam company employee looking to get out of making the customer happy by replacing the cam and lifters and paying for the damages the cam failure caused
© 2024 Moparts Forums