Moparts

CO Street Outlaws wreck at PPIR

Posted By: OUTLAWD

CO Street Outlaws wreck at PPIR - 09/22/14 06:00 PM

Didn't see this posted here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uud7rcwhI5U&feature=player_embedded

I support non-sanctioned racing as NHRA is taking a lot of the fun out of racing, and the "no-prep" stuff is interesting/entertaining...BUT....

I'm glad the guy is OK...but Darwin must have slept in that day.

Evidently his racing harness "failed", when it pulled through the floor.
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: CO Street Outlaws wreck at PPIR - 09/22/14 06:05 PM

Crazy...

That is why I don't street race any more, or participate in those "no prep" races!
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: CO Street Outlaws wreck at PPIR - 09/22/14 06:10 PM

Russian Roulette with cars, no thanks. Guy didn't even have a jacket on, lucky to be alive.
Posted By: johnnycuda

Re: CO Street Outlaws wreck at PPIR - 09/22/14 06:15 PM

I was told the car had the original lap belts only in the car and they broke from the mount.
Glad hes ok, to bad he crashed and pretty much totaled the '55.

Re: CO Street Outlaws wreck at PPIR - 09/22/14 06:15 PM

looks like no bar/cage, jacket wouldn't do much good.

both cars were out of shape, but they both stayed in it. no matter how much money was on the race, its not worth it.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: CO Street Outlaws wreck at PPIR - 09/22/14 06:17 PM

Did they have original lap belts in 1955?

The no prep thing is fun to watch but it has crashed some nice cars over the last few years.
Posted By: johnnycuda

Re: CO Street Outlaws wreck at PPIR - 09/22/14 06:38 PM

I think they were optional in those years, but if not, I guess the belts it had were just factory lap belts,could have been aftermarket or out of another GM car, either way, he was lucky.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: CO Street Outlaws wreck at PPIR - 09/22/14 06:43 PM

Looks like the 55 guy thought the Camaro was coming in his lane and he got loose trying to get away from him. Now there is no excuse for lack of safety gear, but similar crashes happen every weekend even on "prepped" tracks.

That's a real shame though. 55 looked like a nice ride and sounded to have a turbo on it. I would also say the 55 DID have a cage. It is a backhalved car, plus it rolled HARD and didn't crush the roof down

Monte
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: CO Street Outlaws wreck at PPIR - 09/22/14 06:50 PM

There are accidents and then there's asking for it.
Posted By: Eric

Re: CO Street Outlaws wreck at PPIR - 09/22/14 07:45 PM

Quote:

There are accidents and then there's asking for it.

Exactly...
Posted By: d7cook

Re: CO Street Outlaws wreck at PPIR - 09/22/14 09:55 PM

Quote:

I was told the car had the original lap belts only in the car and they broke from the mount.
Glad hes ok, to bad he crashed and pretty much totaled the '55.

One of the wierd NHRA things is using 1955 lap belts are OK but if you use a 3" harness that is 1 day over it's not good. I had that happen a couple years ago in a car that didn't need a bar or a harness and I used an expired 3" lap belt. Tech made me put the crappy 1968 lap belt back in.
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: CO Street Outlaws wreck at PPIR - 09/23/14 12:46 AM

Looks like the 55 guy tried to stay on the throttle and drive around the Camaro
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: CO Street Outlaws wreck at PPIR - 09/23/14 02:12 AM

Looks to me like a guy in a turbo-car that handles like a shoebox decided to hold it to the wood and drive out the back on a completely unprepped surface and got just about what you would guess would happen in that situation......

I feel bad for the guy, and thank God he walked away. But come on guys, that just plain looked stupid from the get-go.

I cant help but wonder what would have happened if they both hooked and then were left to navigate hitting the banking and taking a corner side by side at 100+ MPH with drag skinnies and big tall rears.... Honestly, as soon as I looked at the surface and the surroundings in this video I said "no way".

Edit:
I've looked that thing over real close.... I do not see any sort of roll-bar in that car. If you watch it roll, it never really hit the roof hard. Kept landing on the corners and kicking over.
Not that I'm one to talk... I don't have a bar in my car. But I also don't have a turbocharger and a narrowed rear end.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: CO Street Outlaws wreck at PPIR - 09/23/14 03:04 AM

Well, at least in the "Real" Street Outlaws, they must pass tech, have an NHRA/IHRA license and wear all of the safety equipment..

This is what you get when you don't keep safety equipment in mind..

Chris..

Re: CO Street Outlaws wreck at PPIR - 09/23/14 03:34 PM

Quote:

I cant help but wonder what would have happened if they both hooked and then were left to navigate hitting the banking and taking a corner side by side at 100+ MPH with drag skinnies and big tall rears.... Honestly, as soon as I looked at the surface and the surroundings in this video I said "no way".

The transition from apron to banking was always sketchy on a motorcycle...I can't imagine what it would feel like is an ill handling car...
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: CO Street Outlaws wreck at PPIR - 09/24/14 04:12 AM

Quote:

Looks like the 55 guy thought the Camaro was coming in his lane and he got loose trying to get away from him. Now there is no excuse for lack of safety gear, but similar crashes happen every weekend even on "prepped" tracks.

That's a real shame though. 55 looked like a nice ride and sounded to have a turbo on it. I would also say the 55 DID have a cage. It is a backhalved car, plus it rolled HARD and didn't crush the roof down

Monte

Have to agree on the evasive maneuver .... but if you watch the video in H-Def and pause at the closest point following the roll it's pretty obvious there's no cage in the car....I don't believe there are any bars in it....the sides of the roof seemed to take the brunt of the force due to the way the roof is popped up along the centerline.

One lucky dude to walk away after the flopping around he did.....bet he felt worse the following next few days. Shame that 55 looked to be a very nice car

Rickster
Posted By: Crizila

Re: CO Street Outlaws wreck at PPIR - 09/24/14 04:33 AM

A dumb shat in many respects. Actually, I'm glad he doesn't race on a sanctioned track. I spend enough time in the staging lanes as it is due to stupid people. The guy in the other lane isn't much smarter. Both should have gotten out of the throttle way earlier than when the accident occurred. The way he popped his helmet off after getting out of his car tells me he didn't have his helmet strapped on ether - not that it would help him much. Hope his luck never runs out.
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: CO Street Outlaws wreck at PPIR - 09/24/14 05:34 AM

Was this a drag race, or a drifting contest? Hopefully the dummy in the '55 learned a lesson, and an expensive one at that.
My guess is that it may have been an evasive maneuver, coupled with the turbo power coming on strong at that point, causing the '55 to skate around and then lose control due to the idiot behind the wheel.
© 2024 Moparts Forums