Moparts

727 Help....please

Posted By: 408strokerdart

727 Help....please - 01/04/09 02:09 AM

I will admit that transmissions are my weak point...not having much experience with them at all. I tore into the transmission to replace the front planetary and go from the 2.74 gear back to the stock standard ratio. I was putting the trans back together after re-setting the clearance and everything seemed to go together ok, but take a look at the attached picture and tell me if the front drum drive tabs are engauged all the way. I don't remember what it looked like before. Are they supposed to be fully engauged and I possibly don't have all the clutches lined up therefore preventing it from seating? Need help to get this thing back in the car.....it was 80 degrees today and I could be racing in January.

Attached picture 4921262-IMG00033.jpg
Posted By: hp340nos

Re: 727 Help....please - 01/04/09 02:13 AM

it looks ok by the pic,ive never had one fully bottom out in the groove.
Posted By: superwrench

Re: 727 Help....please - 01/04/09 02:17 AM

I have never had one get near the end of the slots.
If your end play is OK, and everything turns OK, then I'd say it's down as far as it can be.

Re: 727 Help....please - 01/04/09 02:21 AM

Anyone have the input shaft end play spec handy?
Posted By: mrsmallblock

Re: 727 Help....please - 01/04/09 02:31 AM

.034-.084

Howard
Posted By: superwrench

Re: 727 Help....please - 01/04/09 02:39 AM

.050" is a good number to shoot for. I've always made sure it's somewhere around there.

Re: 727 Help....please - 01/04/09 02:39 AM

Thanks Howard.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: 727 Help....please - 01/04/09 02:57 PM

I have an aluminum drum in mine, and maybe the tangs on the drum are not as deep. But here is a pic of how it fits. I would wonder about yours as well.

It is too late now, but I always check the endplay before taking the trans apart. Then compare that to after you put it together. Unless you change parts (selective thrust washer thickness, etc) it should be close. Remember, changing the gear train parts shouldn't effect it since the input end play is the input section (shaft, clutch hub) pressing againts the small thrust washer on the front of the output shaft.

If you didn't get the last clutch disc engaged, it would be off by 0.060"-0.095"

Attached picture 4922170-727new_panoff2crop.jpg

Re: 727 Help....please - 01/04/09 03:45 PM

Quote:

I have an aluminum drum in mine, and maybe the tangs on the drum are not as deep. But here is a pic of how it fits. I would wonder about yours as well.

It is too late now, but I always check the endplay before taking the trans apart. Then compare that to after you put it together. Unless you change parts (selective thrust washer thickness, etc) it should be close. Remember, changing the gear train parts shouldn't effect it since the input end play is the input section (shaft, clutch hub) pressing againts the small thrust washer on the front of the output shaft.

If you didn't get the last clutch disc engaged, it would be off by 0.060"-0.095"

Thanks for the advice Jim. Mine also has an aluminum drum and I mostly questioned it's engaugement because my drive tangs do not fully engauge. From your picture, your drive tangs do at least come flush with the shell. I will go out this morning and do some checking on mine.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: 727 Help....please - 01/04/09 09:38 PM

Take a look in the driving shell slots, the tangs on the drum will leave wear marks in the slot and indicate how deep it was riding.
© 2024 Moparts Forums