Moparts

Holley Blue pumps and regulators?

Posted By: Mr. T

Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/16/14 08:22 AM

How good are they usually. I borrowed both from a friend this past weekend. The fuel pressure would never stabilize. At 7 pounds the engine would flood out and die while idling. At 5 pounds, the car would slow down. Had to constantly adjust the pressure. In all fairness, the system had not been used in about 3 years. What has been your experience with them?
Posted By: ademon

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/16/14 08:43 AM

my blue pump went bad after one summer of weekend street use!
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/16/14 08:56 AM

I used to go through a lower housing per year. They all started to leak. Other people have zero issues.
Posted By: rebel

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/16/14 09:35 AM

you get what you pay for. after having issues with the std holley blue regulator, i bought a Mallory. instantly the pressure guage stabilised & the carb no longer starved for fuel. after pulling the Holley regulator apart, i realised why they're rubbish. i now use a Magnafuel pump & regulator & have zero issues. i modified the Holley blue pump to be my trans cooler flushing pump, it seems to be in it's element in that job. hand on heart i'll never use a Holley blue pump & reg on any car i own til the day i die. cheap junk pump & regulators are for cheap junk cars. i own a Mopar so thats removed the cheap junk part of my story.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/16/14 09:55 AM

I ran the Holley red pump for many years that uses the built in regulator and it was rock solid at 6 psi. In fact I ran 10.70's with the Holley red pump. Then switched to the Holley black pump about 2 years ago with this regulator here that I bought with the pump at a local speed shop. I set the regulator at 6 and it has been flawless for the 2 years its been on the car. And it runs 10.70's with it also. I only went to the larger Holley black pump because I was afraid the red pump would not supply enough fuel as its rated at 98 GPH I believe and the black is rated 140 GPH. But the red was giving me enough as it runs the same mph and et with the black pump and regulator. But its rock solid at the 6 PSI where I set it and I have had no problems. I have run Holley red and blue pumps since the 70's with no problems. I went with the black this time because its rated a bit larger then the blue. Ron

Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/16/14 01:27 PM

I use to use 2 holley blue pumps in parallel on my
car some years back but I hated the cheap holley
regulators so I went with a mallory 4 port with return..
I run a return system on all my junk... now I have
2 holley blacks in parallel with the same reg.. on
my Rampage I have a single Mallory 140 pump but that
will be coming off and going with injection
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/16/14 01:29 PM

Never had any issues, the car used a black pump and I use the 12-803 regulator for the motor and nitrous which also has it's own black pump. I even use a blue pump every day winter and all as a lift pump on my Cummins. Zero problems here.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/16/14 02:31 PM

I have one on this car and I haven't had one issue. I keep my pressure at 6. Been on the car for 3 years and I think it was used when I bought it.

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/16/14 02:47 PM

I've never had any real issues with the blue pumps
other than they are LOUD but I guess I am a little
more into quiet.. even when we tested pumps in the lab
at work... I've never found any pump quiet
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/16/14 03:02 PM

I have had great luck with them. I carry a spare on dragweek but have yet to need it.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/16/14 03:17 PM

Check your free flow rate with the system you have before making any change. The blue pumps put out enough fuel for up to 500 hp, and the regulators have worked well for me in the past. I am not a fan of the blue pumps though, I have a box full of bad ones. If you are at about 500 hp, then the free flow rate should be about one gallon per minute to feed that much power under pressure.
Posted By: cudatom

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/16/14 08:14 PM

Ran 2 Holley blue pumps in series from 1988-2006. Same pumps and regulator never an issue. Car ran 10.80-10.90 from 1988-2000. Upgraded the engine and got the car down to 10 teens w/the same set up. Only leak I ever had in my fuel system was the big Fram fuel filter.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/17/14 04:37 AM

I ran a blue with two Holley regulators with no issues.......for a lot of years.
It got busy as far as plumbing.......from the pump to a Y block on the fender well , regulator on each output into lines that came in to an aluminum block I made that had two inlets and outlets and the pressure gauge pick up point in it.
The block was mounted on the carb heat shield.
I seem to remember reading that the volume restriction was in the regulator and that was what pushed me in that direction.
Stepped up a bit on this deal , but knowing what I know now I think a return system regardless of who's pump is the way to go.

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/17/14 04:46 AM

Quote:

Ran 2 Holley blue pumps in series from 1988-2006. Same pumps and regulator never an issue. Car ran 10.80-10.90 from 1988-2000. Upgraded the engine and got the car down to 10 teens w/the same set up. Only leak I ever had in my fuel system was the big Fram fuel filter.

Why would you run 2 pumps in series and not parallel
Posted By: goldmember

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/17/14 05:48 AM

Hey Tim. I'd be very concerned about any fuel system components that have been dormant for some years and put back in use. New they would be fine for your deal. PM me
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/17/14 06:43 AM

I have REALLY hurt some guys feelings about their fuel regulators on my flow bench...........LOL!!.....Those "cheap" Holley regulators are the most repeatable and consistent regulator you can buy. The only drawback they have is the inner flow path diameter. But it requires BIG power to need more fuel than they can deliver and they are more than enough reg for 99% of guys

Monte
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/17/14 07:55 PM

Quote:

I have REALLY hurt some guys feelings about their fuel regulators on my flow bench...........LOL!!.....Those "cheap" Holley regulators are the most repeatable and consistent regulator you can buy. The only drawback they have is the inner flow path diameter. But it requires BIG power to need more fuel than they can deliver and they are more than enough reg for 99% of guys

Monte

THIRTY YEARS AGO, the first 500" P/S cars were in the 7's, right? Holley Blue pumps and those cheap dead head regulators were the real deal.

So I cannot help but when a guy tells me that his motor NEEDS that $500 billet cement mixer pump and $200 regulator on his 9.80/135 mph car, "Cause it was too lean with the Holley stuff". YEPPERS, just had a Mopar racer tell me that a few weeks ago when I asked about his recent fuel system "upgrade". Oh, and he's really puzzled how there isn't any gain on the time slip...
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/17/14 08:02 PM

I use 2 Holley blue pumps and regulators on my junk, one for each carb. I've never had a problem unless they sit around dormant for years. BTW I've done the fuel flow test years back with a .110 orifice and these pumps and regulators flowed more than enough to feed my engine.
Posted By: JCCuda

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/17/14 08:26 PM

This is a picture of one of Bob Glidden's Clevelands from about 1979-80. Pro Stock cars were going mid 8's at that time. Note the fuel system in the picture. Check out the water pump drive too. Pretty trick stuff.

Attached picture 8273063-AmericanFlyerglidden80.jpg

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/17/14 09:19 PM

Quote:

This is a picture of one of Bob Glidden's Clevelands from about 1979-80. Pro Stock cars were going mid 8's at that time. Note the fuel system in the picture. Check out the water pump drive too. Pretty trick stuff.

LOL.. notice ALL of the RUBBER fuel hose.. I guess that
was before the 6" rule started
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/17/14 10:03 PM

Jenkins ran those "cheap" regulators too! I've had nothing but a Holley blue pump on my car since 1981.Not the original pump,as I'm on my 3rd one,but I know I could rebuild the other 2 and they would work just as well.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/17/14 10:35 PM

Quote:

They made it work cos that`s all they had till "Bogus Junk" (BG)came along trying to up things a bit w/some success..............key word "some" success. If the blues were that bad azz how come pro stock doesn`t run em today............. Regulators yes pumps no way in hell they`ll work. I ran the Aeromotive hot rod pump on my car and it fell on it`s face and some of you agreed watching my 9.98 video..........maybe a bad pump don`t know or care since now I`m solidly in the 9`s and wasn`t before.

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/17/14 10:48 PM

There is NOTHING MAGIC about a regulator... it has a
hole and a spring to let the set pressure by.. I dont
care for the NON return style reg due to fuel pressure
fluctuation and I run a return style(I have for 20
years now).. yes at one time I did run the cheapo
holley reg but then I started working in the fuel
lab and seen the benefits of the return style systems
and have been that way since
Posted By: markz528

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/17/14 11:32 PM

Make sure the rubber diaphragm is still soft and pliable and does not have holes! They dry out and that causes problems.

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/18/14 12:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

They made it work cos that`s all they had till "Bogus Junk" (BG)came along trying to up things a bit w/some success..............key word "some" success. If the blues were that bad azz how come pro stock doesn`t run em today............. Regulators yes pumps no way in hell they`s work. I ran the Aeromotive hot rod pump on my car and it fell on it`s face and some of you agreed watching my 9.98 video..........maybe a bad pump don`t know or care since now I`m solidly in the 9`s and wasn`t before.

Come on, don't you think the fuel demands of TODAY'S 500" motor (1200 HP?) are a wee bit different that those in the 80's??

I'm saying that if those "junk" blue parts supported 7.80's @ 170+ MPH, then many of you 9-10 second guys buy the "trick" stuff because other guys and the marketing firms tell you to.

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/18/14 12:49 AM

Again, my car fell on it`s face past the 1/8th w/a black Holley and the Aeromotive.............installed the 300 Magnafuel and had to re-tune the carb and went solid 9`s. And my car`s not that bad azz............
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/18/14 12:56 AM

Quote:

Jenkins ran those "cheap" regulators too! I've had nothing but a Holley blue pump on my car since 1981.Not the original pump,as I'm on my 3rd one,but I know I could rebuild the other 2 and they would work just as well.

Not anymore, the lower hsg was discontinued several years ago.

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/18/14 12:57 AM

You need .5 pounds of fuel for 1 HP per hour... its
just math... but all of use run WAY more than needed
when it comes to pumps.. BUT hopefully its the last
one you ever buy... I have tended to buy 2 cheaper pumps
as in the blue Holleys and run them in parallel for
the volume(pounds per hour) and it ends up cheaper
than 1 big pump.. by a lot

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/18/14 01:16 AM

Quote:

Again, my car fell on it`s face past the 1/8th w/a black Holley and the Aeromotive.............installed the 300 Magnafuel and had to re-tune the carb and went solid 9`s. And my car`s not that bad azz............

Ummmm, if you "had to retune the carb", how do you KNOW the pump/reg was causing your problems?

I once tried a billet cement mixer pump and high $$ reg on a low 10 second combo, replacing JUST the 10 year old Blue pump and reg. Adjusted the PSI to be the same, and ran it. Weather station was identical to the weekend before and said I should go 10.30's based on my data. (With the old Holley stuff).

Guess what??? 10.30's at the same speed with the new (thankfully borrowed) high $$ "junk".

It LOOKED trick though...
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/18/14 01:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Ummmm, if you "had to retune the carb", how do you KNOW the pump/reg was causing your problems?

I once tried a billet cement mixer pump and high $$ reg on a low 10 second combo, replacing JUST the 10 year old Blue pump and reg. Adjusted the PSI to be the same, and ran it. Weather station was identical to the weekend before and said I should go 10.30's based on my data. (With the old Holley stuff).

Guess what??? 10.30's at the same speed with the new (thankfully borrowed) high $$ "junk".

Gotta agree with ya. My old 9.80's car( 3350 weight) ran a Holley black and Holley large port regulator for years. Ultra consistent car, saw about 7500 at the stripe every pass.
I caved in to peer pressure and went hog wild witha return style way bigger pump/ lines,etc, etc..... And saw zero difference after throwing a grand at a nonexistent problem.
My new car is much slower, but I run a pump similar to a black on it through the stock tank sock, 5/16 line and small Holley regulator. It pulls hard on the back half
of the track for what it is, zero nosing over. I have no concerns it's leaning out.
Just my

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/18/14 01:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I upped pressure and jetted it to the moon to get it to somewhat run to get the "volume" I needed and ran ok. New 300 pump re-tweek and string of 9`s no other changes BUT, I am a lucky hack so maybe that`s it...........

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/18/14 01:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Gotta agree with ya. My old 9.80's car( 3350 weight) ran a Holley black and Holley large port regulator for years. Ultra consistent car, saw about 7500 at the stripe every pass.
I caved in to peer pressure and went hog wild witha return style way bigger pump/ lines,etc, etc..... And saw zero difference after throwing a grand at a nonexistent problem.
My new car is much slower, but I run a pump similar to a black on it through the stock tank sock, 5/16 line and small Holley regulator. It pulls hard on the back half
of the track for what it is, zero nosing over. I have no concerns it's leaning out.
Just my

Small motor, small demands try that w/a stout big block and report back with us. Also do you have a wideband? Install one then you`ll see the fuel curve w/your own eyes and can verify not assume..........My car pulled like a beast, went to chassis dyno and was approaching dangerously lean 16.1 numbers..............
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/18/14 01:52 AM

I ran a black billet Holley pump and a small port Holley regulator on my Dart, at the 1/8 mile my pressure would be around 2 pounds. I put a new Magnafuel Quickstar 275 and a Holley big port regulator and my fuel pressure stays near 6 pounds now. I don't know if the regulator or the pump fixed my issue, but one of them did.

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/18/14 01:53 AM

Quote:

I ran a black billet Holley pump and a small port Holley regulator on my Dart, at the 1/8 mile my pressure would be around 2 pounds. I put a new Magnafuel Quickstar 275 and a Holley big port regulator and my fuel pressure stays near 6 pounds now. I don't know if the regulator or the pump fixed my issue, but one of them did.

Total bs.NO WAY.............
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/18/14 02:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Total bs.NO WAY.............

Hard to believe I know ..........
Posted By: actionange

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/18/14 02:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

THIRTY YEARS AGO, the first 500" P/S cars were in the 7's, right? Holley Blue pumps and those cheap dead head regulators were the real deal.

So I cannot help but when a guy tells me that his motor NEEDS that $500 billet cement mixer pump and $200 regulator on his 9.80/135 mph car, "Cause it was too lean with the Holley stuff". YEPPERS, just had a Mopar racer tell me that a few weeks ago when I asked about his recent fuel system "upgrade". Oh, and he's really puzzled how there isn't any gain on the time slip...

I totally agree with both of these statements.
I used a Holley Blue and regulator with no issues.
10.0@ 136 doesn't miss a beat.

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/18/14 02:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just my

Small motor, small demands try that w/a stout big block and report back with us. Also do you have a wideband? Install one then you`ll see the fuel curve w/your own eyes and can verify not assume..........My car pulled like a beast, went to chassis dyno and was approaching dangerously lean 16.1 numbers..............

What do you mean, small motor small demands? Car ran the same numbers yours does and was 150 pounds heavier

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/18/14 02:36 AM

Trust me, that 9.79 was my first full boogie pass and had several issues w/the carb and suspension so a 9.59-9.64 is comin soon. And kudos, your car hauled azz..............

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/18/14 02:45 AM

Quote:

Trust me, that 9.79 was my first full boogie pass and had several issues w/the carb and suspension so a 9.59-9.64 is comin soon. And kudos, your car hauled azz..............

Quit being so nice. You make it hard to pick on ya

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/18/14 02:47 AM

I know, that`s why I do it and it must be working cos Quicktree`s been leaving me alone............

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/18/14 03:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just my

What do you mean, small motor small demands? Car ran the same numbers yours does and was 150 pounds heavier

My bad...........I was refering to the new 318 motor and the 5 1/16 line.............

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/18/14 06:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I was in college at the time and money was almost non-existent. Ran One pump but it would not keep up w/the motor so tried them in series and no more trouble. I could have ran them sep w/one to each bowl but more line, fittings etc and if one pump went bad(never did)one of the bowls would go empty.
This set up was basically a junk yard motor, heavy TRW pistons, 6 pk rods, 452 heads etc.
Simply was a cheap way of racing while finishing college.

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/18/14 06:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I was in college at the time and money was almost non-existent. Ran One pump but it would not keep up w/the motor so tried them in series and no more trouble. I could have ran them sep w/one to each bowl but more line, fittings etc and if one pump went bad(never did)one of the bowls would go empty.
This set up was basically a junk yard motor, heavy TRW pistons, 6 pk rods, 452 heads etc.

You were only lacking a bit of volume so if you put
them in parallel you only have a Y and the 2 supply
lines.. no need to run 2 lines forward.. this has been
the way I've done it for years
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/18/14 02:25 PM

Best thing I ever did for my Holley Blue Pumps was ditch the dead headed regulators and go with a Moroso return style fuel log.

The pumps are a whole lot quieter and seem to last longer set up as a free flow system.

Attached picture 8273713-GEDC0325compressed.JPG

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/18/14 10:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You were only lacking a bit of volume so if you put
them in parallel you only have a Y and the 2 supply
lines.. no need to run 2 lines forward.. this has been
the way I've done it for years

I agree w/what you are saying. We had an extra pump laying around and just added it. More than likely the 1st pumps output was low. I know we always ran 9 lbs of pressure to keep the bowls full(even w/2 pumps). My friends couldnt believe I didnt have fuel pumping out everywhere. Should have spent time looking into it further but the band aid worked. Then the the car was so consistent I just never changed anything. I look back on some of the stuff we did back then and just laugh now. But we still got to race and have fun. Lol
Mr Pbody I always like your post very informative.

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/18/14 11:06 PM

I agree w/what you are saying. We had an extra pump laying around and just added it. More than likely the 1st pumps output was low. I know we always ran 9 lbs of pressure to keep the bowls full(even w/2 pumps). My friends couldnt believe I didnt have fuel pumping out everywhere. Should have spent time looking into it further but the band aid worked. Then the the car was so consistent I just never changed anything. I look back on some of the stuff we did back then and just laugh now. But we still got to race and have fun. Lol
Mr Pbody I always like your post very informative.

Thanks... more than likely your gauge just wasnt right..
thats why you were running the so called 9# but in
reality it was a fair bit lower... but I hear ya on
the aspect that it worked so leave it alone
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/19/14 12:06 AM

Quote:

Best thing I ever did for my Holley Blue Pumps was ditch the dead headed regulators and go with a Moroso return style
The pumps are a whole lot quieter and seem to last longer set up as a free flow system.

Same here with ONE blue pump and fuel log. My tank (2 gallon) was in the front, 800+hp with a 7320 carb, ran 5.50-125 eight with loose converter( took em 4 tries to get it tight enough) did not run lean. I would think most pump problems traces back to lines from the back being to big, hard to overcome gravity with that much fuel weight.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? - 09/19/14 12:12 AM

At a .5 BSFC number, a 1000HP motor needs 500 lb/hr of fuel. A Blue Holley pump free flows 110GPH.........So a little quick math tells us, that with a gallon of fuel weighing roughly 8lbs, that our pump needs to supply 62.5 GPH to deliver the required lb/hr of fuel.........hmmm. Now obviously when you regulate the Holley down, it no longer flows as much, but it is more than enough for 99% of the cars on this board, same for the regulators.

MOST guys problems with their fuel system is NOT the pump, it is the system itself being poorly laid out. Many times the high zoot pump fixes it, because the big pump over comes the issues in the system itself.

We run 900" nitrous pro-mods with 4 and 5 stages of spray with ONE pump. Usually Magna-Fuel 500s. Doubt many 10 second bracket cars need the same amount of pump.........LOL!!!

The fuel you NEED to produce a certain amount of power and the fuel you are actually GETTING, may have little to do with the pump and reg itself.

Before we went EFI, we fed the single Dominator on our 632, that makes just shy of 1200hp with ONE single Holley regulator.......and did I mention it made close to 1200hp on the dyno with that regulator........hmmm...........LOL!!!

Its very simple........If the pump and reg you have will keep the fuel bowls full of fuel for an entire run........you HAVE enough pump.

Monte
© 2024 Moparts Forums