Moparts

Pics of Cal Tracs on small tire Cuda's

Posted By: 733404spdCuda

Pics of Cal Tracs on small tire Cuda's - 09/16/14 04:06 AM

Well I just installed a nice stroker small block (520 hp) in my Cuda and thinking of installing a Cal Track set up.. I plan on running a 275 Drag Radial, the car will see a lot of street use and I like the current ride height, maybe an inch and a half higher in the rear

My concern is the stance so I'm looking for pics of Cuda's running Cal tracks with a small tire.

Thanks

Jim

Attached picture 8271309-IMG_3030Cuda.JPG
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Pics of Cal Tracs on small tire Cuda's - 09/16/14 05:16 AM

Well, I don't want to shoot your idea down on your stance, but Mopars like a bit of rake to make them hook and I can prove it...

We have a 69 a-body with a hemi and a 10x29.5 slick on it. Obviously bigger than a 275, but the point is the same. We had to raise it to almost level due to the oil pan sheering off the drain bolt the other week. This was not good for the 60ft as it went to heck on our 20 year old slicks.

Zoom forward two weeks. We had a new pan made with a kick out that was a lot shorter and held even more oil...Dropped the front down a bunch. If I had to guess, the car has 5" of rake to it....Now it does wheelies!

Either way here are my Cuda's and their stances...

Sold this one...Had 275's on it...Hated them. Probably needed more rake as the 275's were shorter than the slicks it used to run, and the 1.58 60ft was done torching them all the way to second gear.

My 70 with big tires and Caltrac's and mono's..hooks in a car wash, almost. so far a 1.48 60ft.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Pics of Cal Tracs on small tire Cuda's - 09/16/14 05:43 AM

Quote:

Well, I don't want to shoot your idea down on your stance, but Mopars like a bit of rake to make them hook and I can prove it...

We have a 69 a-body with a hemi and a 10x29.5 slick on it. Obviously bigger than a 275, but the point is the same. We had to raise it to almost level due to the oil pan sheering off the drain bolt the other week. This was not good for the 60ft as it went to heck on our 20 year old slicks.

Zoom forward two weeks. We had a new pan made with a kick out that was a lot shorter and held even more oil...Dropped the front down a bunch. If I had to guess, the car has 5" of rake to it....Now it does wheelies!

Either way here are my Cuda's and their stances...

Sold this one...Had 275's on it...Hated them. Probably needed more rake as the 275's were shorter than the slicks it used to run, and the 1.58 60ft was done torching them all the way to second gear.
My 70 with big tires and Caltrac's and mono's..hooks in a car wash, almost. so far a 1.48 60ft.

And I would bet that it hooked better was because you
gave the front end more travel.. not the rake angle
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Pics of Cal Tracs on small tire Cuda's - 09/16/14 06:11 AM

Are you considering the whole setup? If you're just bolting the bars onto existing springs, you won't change anything. When you put preload into them, you might raise up a hair, but I've never really noticed a difference. If you go to Calvert's split mono springs, they offer them in -1"; 0 and +1" versions, so you can get the stance you want out of them.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Pics of Cal Tracs on small tire Cuda's - 09/16/14 02:13 PM

Here's mine w/ a 295-65 radial. I have 275-60s on it now, but don't have any pics of it.

Attached picture 8271620-cudadriveway.JPG
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Pics of Cal Tracs on small tire Cuda's - 09/16/14 02:14 PM

Another. These are with stock ride height monoleaf springs from Calvert.

Attached picture 8271621-STAGINGLANES.jpg
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Pics of Cal Tracs on small tire Cuda's - 09/16/14 02:45 PM

Quote:

Are you considering the whole setup? If you're just bolting the bars onto existing springs, you won't change anything. When you put preload into them, you might raise up a hair, but I've never really noticed a difference. If you go to Calvert's split mono springs, they offer them in -1"; 0 and +1" versions, so you can get the stance you want out of them.

I got my Cals direct from Calvert and they said I could keep my multi leaf springs if I liked my ride height and the bars would work as they should.I have not been down track yet tho.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Pics of Cal Tracs on small tire Cuda's - 09/16/14 06:19 PM

Not a Cuda but still an E Body. Here is my Challenger with a -1" lower than stock ride height. No drivetrain, glass or interior in it currently so it is still sitting up a little high.

Attached picture 8271839-100_1664[640x480].jpg
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Pics of Cal Tracs on small tire Cuda's - 09/16/14 06:41 PM

Quote:

And I would bet that it hooked better was because you
gave the front end more travel.. not the rake angle

No doubt...They need travel up front to get the weight transfered. So many people only look at the rear of the car. Most will tell you that you need at least 5" of front travel to make it work. I have done it with less, but 5" seems to be the number up front.

Another area people over look is the travel...Always making sure front and rear's your not bottoming the shocks themselves. I had this on the rear of my Cuda...Made a new hole for the upper rear shocks so they show more of the rod exposed while full weight is on it and it instantly responded the next time out.

Stock suspension can work very well with some attention to detail.
Posted By: Blues_Cuda

Re: Pics of Cal Tracs on small tire Cuda's - 09/17/14 03:38 AM

Quote:

Well I just installed a nice stroker small block (520 hp) in my Cuda and thinking of installing a Cal Track set up.. I plan on running a 275 Drag Radial, the car will see a lot of street use and I like the current ride height, maybe an inch and a half higher in the rear

My concern is the stance so I'm looking for pics of Cuda's running Cal tracks with a small tire.

Thanks

Jim

That is a very sharp 'Cuda you have.

Here is a picture of my wife's Barracuda with Caltracs with stock ride height monoleafs and a 295/65 tire on an 8" rim.

Attached picture 8272430-DSC03071-1.jpg
Posted By: Blues_Cuda

Re: Pics of Cal Tracs on small tire Cuda's - 09/17/14 03:45 AM

...same car with 28/10.5 ET Streets and 28" Hoosier front tires. Rear tires look rather small in conjunction with the B-body rear.

An 8" rear wheel with the same 4.5" offset as the Magnum 500s. Some day I'll concentrate on looking for the matching Monocoque wheels for the rear.

Attached picture 8272448-DSC03995-1.jpg
Posted By: 733404spdCuda

Re: Pics of Cal Tracs on small tire Cuda's - 09/17/14 06:32 PM

Guys

Thanks for all the pics and advice, some beautiful E-Bodies!

I think I'm going with the stock ride height mono leaf

Cant wait until next years Monster Mopar Weekend at Norwalk, should have the Cuda dialed in by then
© 2024 Moparts Forums