Moparts

offset hole in crank pulley.

Posted By: dartman366

offset hole in crank pulley. - 01/03/09 10:03 PM

just got my new Moroso crank pulley so I can try and add an alternator, found that it had 1 offset hole but the ATI damper don't,they are all the same spacing, is it normal to have the offset hole redrilled and countersunk the .100 to get it all to line back up? I can have this done easy enough, but was wondering if some of you guy's have done this.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: offset hole in crank pulley. - 01/03/09 10:14 PM

you just have to elongate the offset hole a little bit. www.440source.com explains it all pretty well in their pulley section.

Re: offset hole in crank pulley. - 01/03/09 10:18 PM

I was just going to take it to a local friend's machine shop ant put it on his Bridgeport and do that, I just wanted to know if that is acceptable, sound's like it is.
Posted By: QWK_ENUF

Re: offset hole in crank pulley. - 01/03/09 10:34 PM

my march pulley comes that way
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: offset hole in crank pulley. - 01/03/09 11:47 PM

Quote:

just got my new Moroso crank pulley so I can try and add an alternator, found that it had 1 offset hole but the ATI damper don't,they are all the same spacing, is it normal to have the offset hole redrilled and countersunk the .100 to get it all to line back up? I can have this done easy enough, but was wondering if some of you guy's have done this.

Some Mopar aftermarket SFI balancers come with GM bolt pattern...I have a couple of them, looks like you have one too..I pretty sure I have a Moroso pulley for that..Just PM me if you need it... poppaj

Attached picture 4920821-00popprofile.jpg

Re: offset hole in crank pulley. - 01/03/09 11:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Some Mopar aftermarket SFI balancers come with GM bolt pattern...I have a couple of them, looks like you have one too..I pretty sure I have a Moroso pulley for that..Just PM me if you need it... poppaj

Thank's for the offer Poppaj,I should be ok, I just wanted to know if it would be acceptable to slot the offset hole to make it fit, sound's like I can.
Posted By: StrokerPost

Re: offset hole in crank pulley. - 01/03/09 11:53 PM

Bill, what I did was just not use the 6th bolt, but to avoid possibly throwing off the balance, I measured the height of the head on the bolt, then on the balancer side of the pulley I countersunk a hole the same depth on the bolt hole that is "off" and slid the bolt in from the back side. Its not doing anything, but at least I've kept the weight there. And no, it doesnt come loose.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: offset hole in crank pulley. - 01/04/09 12:37 AM

Mopar cranks after about 1971 had an offset bolt in the damper/pulley mounting.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: offset hole in crank pulley. - 01/04/09 12:45 AM

Quote:

Actaully the offset hole in the dampeners and puleys where standard until around 1971, even pattern after that
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: offset hole in crank pulley. - 01/04/09 01:12 AM

We just use 3 grade 8 allen socket head bolts to hold it on(similar to a chevy)forget the rest of the holes.
Posted By: jamesc

Re: offset hole in crank pulley. - 01/04/09 01:16 AM

Quote:

We just use 3 grade 8 allen socket head bolts to hold it on(similar to a chevy)forget the rest of the holes.

that's all i've ever done
Posted By: BobsProFab

Re: offset hole in crank pulley. - 01/04/09 01:16 AM

Quote:

me too !
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: offset hole in crank pulley. - 01/04/09 01:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

me too !

That makes us we 3
Posted By: SKR8PN

Re: offset hole in crank pulley. - 01/04/09 01:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

me too !

That makes us we 3

Times 4!!!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: offset hole in crank pulley. - 01/04/09 01:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

me too !

That makes us we 3

Times 4!!!

Not me, I use all of the holes, longate the pulley as needed Murphy hates me and already gets me to often without me giving him any more opportunitys(SP?) to make my junk fail Mopar designed it with six, GM design theres with three. Which ones failed the most?
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: offset hole in crank pulley. - 01/04/09 01:55 AM

ME 5..heck three of them don't hold it..You got more problems..

Re: offset hole in crank pulley. - 01/04/09 01:58 AM

Quote:

ME 5..heck three of them don't hold it..You got more problems..

My alternator mounts to the frame rail,so three is GODS PLENTY to hold a little pulley on the balancer......

Re: offset hole in crank pulley. - 01/04/09 02:06 AM

Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: offset hole in crank pulley. - 01/04/09 02:14 AM

When I've had pulleys where it's difficult to elongate the hole (Moroso Pulley) I've just used 3 bolts. Never had a problem!!!!!

Re: offset hole in crank pulley. - 01/04/09 02:32 AM

Quote:

When I've had pulleys where it's difficult to elongate the hole (Moroso Pulley) I've just used 3 bolts. Never had a problem!!!!!

Does that still hold true when you are running a crank trigger and the pulley is holding the relucter wheel on.
Posted By: jamesc

Re: offset hole in crank pulley. - 01/04/09 02:39 AM

Quote:

Does that still hold true when you are running a crank trigger and the pulley is holding the relucter wheel on.

yes
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: offset hole in crank pulley. - 01/04/09 02:49 AM

6 bolts was made for 3 and 4 belts pullys with a lot of load on them like water pump-power steering pump-A/C-air pumps-alt--

Re: offset hole in crank pulley. - 01/04/09 02:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

yes

Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: offset hole in crank pulley. - 01/04/09 03:33 AM

I use all six.
Three would just make me angry!!!!!!
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: offset hole in crank pulley. - 01/04/09 03:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Actaully the offset hole in the dampeners and puleys where standard until around 1971, even pattern after that

OK you are right, I had it backwards but any way there was an offset set up and all we do is elongate the one hole slightly. Thanks for straightening it out for year sequence.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: offset hole in crank pulley. - 01/04/09 06:24 AM

I only use three...Gotta save weight where ever you can these days

Re: offset hole in crank pulley. - 01/04/09 02:28 PM

Quote:

I only use three...Gotta save weight where ever you can these days

..couple of bolts here...couple of washers there...it all adds up
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: offset hole in crank pulley. - 01/04/09 02:38 PM

Quote:

I can't argue with that. I am running 3 grade 8 bolts myself. It looks wrong at first, but it is balanced and works just fine, but all I run off that pulley is my 60 amp alternator (electric fan). And I do have the MSD crank trigger wheel behind it. But you can just elongate the hole in the pulley too.
© 2024 Moparts Forums