Moparts

Auto trans guys, what am I looking at here??.......

Posted By: roadhazard

Auto trans guys, what am I looking at here??....... - 09/01/14 11:15 PM

.......... besides lots of money

727 behind the 440 in my Barracuda. Has a number of performance upgrades. Pro Trans RMVB, 4 pinion planet, all rollerized, aluminum drum, lightened sun shell, etc., etc..

Noticed this a couple years ago and have not started the car until recently because fluid looked horrible. I did check it often when running it but I think something happened with the last couple street trips.

Any guesses?

Attached picture 8258097-Dirtytranspan.JPG
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Auto trans guys, what am I looking at here??....... - 09/01/14 11:20 PM

I wonder if the filter got clogged at a later point but it looks like a lot of clutch and burned ATF.
Posted By: J_BODY

time to take it apart. check the endplay before diassembly.
Posted By: mopar65

if it wont stick to a magnet, i say clutch or band material.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Auto trans guys, what am I looking at here??....... - 09/01/14 11:22 PM

Clutch or band or both material

Re: Auto trans guys, what am I looking at here??....... - 09/01/14 11:45 PM

Well I suppose it has to come out and get it gone through and cleaned up. Should send the converter out to get cut and cleaned as well.

It was fun while it lasted
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Auto trans guys, what am I looking at here??....... - 09/01/14 11:47 PM

Greg I've seen that before when the fluid pressure dropped and wouldn't hold the clutches. We have to disassemble carefully for proper diagnosis to prevent this from happening again.
I'm kinda busy til after Norwalk but I can swing by after that.
Gus

Attached picture 8258133-frontveiwsavoy.jpg
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Auto trans guys, what am I looking at here??....... - 09/01/14 11:57 PM

Check ur stator to see if it free wheels. Other than that, ur trans is junk.
Posted By: Dan Brewer

Re: Auto trans guys, what am I looking at here??....... - 09/02/14 12:12 AM

Was it working ok? Check the 2nd gear band adjustment. It looks like aluminum off the drum. How often you change fluid?
Posted By: JAKE68

Re: Auto trans guys, what am I looking at here??....... - 09/02/14 12:18 AM

Aluminum drum on street?? Not a good combo.imo

Re: Auto trans guys, what am I looking at here??....... - 09/02/14 12:36 AM

Quote:

Was it working ok? Check the 2nd gear band adjustment. It looks like aluminum off the drum. How often you change fluid?

I didn't have very many 1/4 mile passes on it (50-75?) and for street miles, not many, I'd assume under 100?

I know the deal with aluminum drum on the street and that's why I regularly checked the fluid. Just one day it was dark so it got parked.

Was working OK the last time out with it on the street. Was also planning a fluid change to keep on top of it.

It just suddenly darkened the fluid, loss of pressure like Gus suggested?
Posted By: 68valiant68

Re: Auto trans guys, what am I looking at here??....... - 09/02/14 12:40 AM

Did it have the Teflon rings on front pump? If it had steel ones, that would be the problem! Ask me how I know!!!
Posted By: dvw

Re: Auto trans guys, what am I looking at here??....... - 09/02/14 01:03 AM

How was it shifting? It looks like normal Aluminum drum mud. I'd clean it out and put a filter in it, see how it goes. If the clutches are burned up your only out the price of fluid and filter. You're not going to kill it any worse. It may be fine. As Jake said aluminum drum on the street is going to create a lot of "aluminum mud".
Doug
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Auto trans guys, what am I looking at here??....... - 09/02/14 01:32 AM

No magnet in the pan???
Posted By: Dartin

Re: Auto trans guys, what am I looking at here??....... - 09/02/14 01:47 AM

I feel your pain... ...mine is out for the same reason. Hope it is finished by Norwalk.
Posted By: Dan Brewer

Re: Auto trans guys, what am I looking at here??....... - 09/02/14 03:44 PM

Quote:

How was it shifting? It looks like normal Aluminum drum mud. I'd clean it out and put a filter in it, see how it goes. If the clutches are burned up your only out the price of fluid and filter. You're not going to kill it any worse. It may be fine. As Jake said aluminum drum on the street is going to create a lot of "aluminum mud".
Doug

I agree with Doug. Clean the pan, adjust the band and new fluid. With the aluminum drum you need to change the fluid / filter more often. You also need to use the stock type filter not the brass one.

Re: Auto trans guys, what am I looking at here??....... - 09/02/14 06:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Doug

I agree with Doug. Clean the pan, adjust the band and new fluid. With the aluminum drum you need to change the fluid / filter more often. You also need to use the stock type filter not the brass one.

I do not agree with this because you do not know how what is going on in the trans forsure in my opinion.With that much in the pan I would be concerned.I agree with the stock filter[fiber].Again JMO.

Re: Auto trans guys, what am I looking at here??....... - 09/02/14 06:59 PM

Well I'm going to clean the pan, lines and cooler.
It had the brass screen filter on it and I'm going to install the fiber filter and some new fluid.

As long as it moves that's all I need at the moment. No time for racing in the near future.

Thanks for all the input

Re: Auto trans guys, what am I looking at here??....... - 09/02/14 08:08 PM

Let us know how many turns the adj takes on the bands if you will,pls.THX!I am not sure but I think you can pump out some extra fluid from the vert by undoing the vert/flex plate bolts and spinning the vert loose or with the starter and the pan off.I am not sure but maybe someone knows.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Auto trans guys, what am I looking at here??....... - 09/02/14 08:11 PM

Just loosen the valve body bolts and pull it down about an 1/8 of an inch. Let it drain, push it back up by hand then tighten the bolts.
Posted By: littleVAL

Re: Auto trans guys, what am I looking at here??....... - 09/03/14 04:00 AM

that could not be coolant mixed in it

Re: Auto trans guys, what am I looking at here??....... - 09/03/14 02:22 PM

Quote:

Just loosen the valve body bolts and pull it down about an 1/8 of an inch. Let it drain, push it back up by hand then tighten the bolts.

Will do sir
While I'm in there may as well use a can or two of brake clean to get out what I can.

Any suggestions on band adjustment?
What is it.... torque to 73 lb,in then back off how many turns?
I'll note the position of the adjuster to start and see if it takes a lot to put back in adjustment.

No coolant in there.... cooler is separate from the radiator.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Auto trans guys, what am I looking at here??....... - 09/03/14 02:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Will do sir
While I'm in there may as well use a can or two of brake clean to get out what I can.

Any suggestions on band adjustment?
What is it.... torque to 73 lb,in then back off how many turns?
I'll note the position of the adjuster to start and see if it takes a lot to put back in adjustment.

No coolant in there.... cooler is separate from the radiator.

72 inch lbs.. then back off(this part depends on the
VB that you have).. but anywhere between 2 to 2 1/2 turns
check with your VB company
Posted By: julian2007

Re: Auto trans guys, what am I looking at here??....... - 09/03/14 10:20 PM

you are suppose to adj the band every 25 laps w/ a alum drum.
Posted By: nss guy

Re: Auto trans guys, what am I looking at here??....... - 09/04/14 02:43 AM

I have an aluminum drum in mine, change the fluid every 20-30 runs, filter every other. You mention Pro Trans if it's a Pro Trans that means rebuilt after 20-30 runs. I drive mine on street some, shouldn't need band adjustment if the fluid is changed as said above.

Attached picture 8260461-KK.png
Posted By: julian2007

Re: Auto trans guys, what am I looking at here??....... - 09/04/14 07:36 PM

I was instructed by A&A to adjust the band every 25-30 laps.

Attached picture 8261020-topdragsterwin.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums