Moparts

Ok Lets Talk about Distributors

Posted By: VernMotor

Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 08/31/14 05:29 PM

What is everyone running ? I am not ready for a crank trigger. Race car only. No Vac-advance. Billet.Just a simple /nice distributor. Thanks Jamie
Posted By: dvw

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 08/31/14 05:33 PM

I've run stock distributors to 10.0 w/o issue. Currently I run a $25 440 source blem w/crank trigger. No issues either. My sons 9 second turbo car runs a stocker also.
Doug
Posted By: barracuda man

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 08/31/14 05:40 PM

I run the msd sb one its locked out.nice distributors.I have the msd crank trigger also.Its all about consistency in bracket racing.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 08/31/14 05:43 PM

Quote:

What is everyone running ? I am not ready for a crank trigger. Race car only. No Vac-advance. Billet.Just a simple /nice distributor. Thanks Jamie

I run the MP MSD one on the W-9(its got the gear
on it but no intermediate shaft is used because its
for a dry sump... I use a few stock dist and I have
one that I believe I got from MP that has the advance
but can be set with a screw.. its nice

Attached picture 8256745-DSC00067.JPG
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 08/31/14 06:02 PM

Fire Core billet.....Set initial and total independantly, or lock it out, very easily....Luv it.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 08/31/14 06:30 PM

Matt and I both run MSD's in our cars. His is locked-out, mine isn't.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 08/31/14 06:44 PM

Quote:

Fire Core billet.....Set initial and total independantly, or lock it out, very easily....Luv it.

Had one in the car for 3 years now with ZERO issues and it fits with most cylinder heads without grinding
https://www.customwiresets.com/product.php?productid=16285&cat=0&page=1&featured
Gus
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 08/31/14 06:49 PM

Quote:

I am not ready for a crank trigger.

yes you are you just don't know it... only way to time an engine
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 08/31/14 07:16 PM

The Firecore billet is a real nice piece. I've never seen anything about an MSD distributor that would justify the price.
Keith
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 08/31/14 07:28 PM

Quote:

The Firecore billet is a real nice piece. I've never seen anything about an MSD distributor that would justify the price.
Keith

I just bought a brand new MSD pro billet for my car last week. Think it was 217 bucks, which I don't think is unfair or high priced at all.
I have used them with zero issues for years and years. That's important to me.
Lots of other stuff hasn't been out long term to have that extended track record over time.
Like the old saying goes, if it don't stink, don't stir it

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 08/31/14 07:39 PM

217 is a great price. where did you get it ?

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 08/31/14 07:46 PM

Quote:

217 is a great price. where did you get it ?

Lane Automtive.

I forgot before I got it to check pep boys. If you buy online from them( you can still pick it up and pay for it in the store) they always have a 20 percent or 25 percent off code before checkout.
I got my 150 dollar list MSD street fire box and autometer shift light from them with those discounts
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 08/31/14 08:03 PM

Mopar tach drive unit.I have used both aluminum and iron housings,they are rock solid pieces.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 08/31/14 09:00 PM

Where do you caps and rotors for tach drive distributor and maybe a magnetic pickup was thinking would be nice for nostalgia look.

http://s542.photobucket.com/user/dodgeboy8/media/tachdizzy1.jpg.html?o=4
Posted By: QTR MILR

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 08/31/14 09:37 PM

Quote:

The Firecore billet is a real nice piece.
Keith

That's what I'm running on my 440.... Rock steady timing!! Call Keith he is a distributor for them....

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 08/31/14 10:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Keith

That's what I'm running on my 440.... Rock steady timing!! Call Keith he is a distributor for them....

Why did I get the feeling he was
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 08/31/14 11:46 PM

I have had the mopar electronic tach drive unit in my car for over 20 years and it is time for a new one.
I saw Rick at the YB Nats and ordered a distributor & wires
Posted By: QTR MILR

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 09/01/14 12:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Keith

Why did I get the feeling he was

He won't risk his reputation on parts he hasn't personally used or at least dealt with in some way.....
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 09/01/14 12:41 AM

MSD pro billet locked out for years w/no issues............

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 09/01/14 01:12 AM

That's what blows my mind. A ton of racers buy a more expensive distributor and lock it out anyway. So basically its a magnetic pick up and reluctor doing the work. A Firecore can do that for a lot less money, still has good bearings , etc in it.
There are a few reasons I dont use MSD ignition in my builds. But thats a different subject.
Keith

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 09/01/14 01:52 AM

Firecore wasn`t around when I got mine so,.............do tell though about your MSD dislikes.
Posted By: D-50

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 09/01/14 01:58 AM

I have been running the same MSD distributor for over 10 years in 3 different motors and have not had any issues so far. It is locked at 35* now.
Posted By: challenger451ci

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 09/01/14 02:10 AM

My locked Mallory Unilite works great and holds the timing solid. Been running he same one since the mid 90's.
Posted By: 72chrgrally

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 09/01/14 02:22 AM

MSD Pro billet that was a display model for a speed shop. Got it for $75 on eBay years ago. It had no guts so it's perfect for my crank trigger.

Steve
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 09/01/14 02:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Had one in the car for 3 years now with ZERO issues and it fits with most cylinder heads without grinding
https://www.customwiresets.com/product.php?productid=16285&cat=0&page=1&featured
Gus

After having TWO Firecore failures I went crank trigger and if I didn't go crank trigger I would have returned to stock or MSD.

Russ

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 09/01/14 02:46 AM

All this stuff comes out( distributors, wires, etc) that is already around, and proven, and doesn't cost any more for Mopar than it does for Chevy or Ford.
What I wish was available was heads and blocks, stuff you can't find available and is truly a need.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 09/01/14 02:51 AM

Some of my MSD stuff is so old it could be in a museum on display so why change now.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 09/01/14 04:28 PM

Quote:

Where do you caps and rotors for tach drive distributor and maybe a magnetic pickup was thinking would be nice for nostalgia look.

Are the caps and rotors for the aluminum tach drive distributors the same as the cast iron? If so I have some part numbers.

Bill
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 09/01/14 04:41 PM

Quote:

There is no reason to NOT have a crank trigger. Even the best distributor in the world won't be accurate in a Mopar, because of the intermediate shaft. Now before all you guys start telling me your timing is "rock solid" with so and so distributor and intermediate shaft.........NO, its not, so lets not even start the debate..........LOL!!!

Monte

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 09/01/14 05:12 PM

Even w/all of the collar tricks and machining the underside of the gear for a torrington bearing, mine still retards 2-3 degrees............A crank trigger is definately in my future.

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 09/01/14 05:23 PM

Yep........it can't possibly be accurate. Too many places for slop. In the pump, in the gear, where dist fits in gear and the dist itself. That's 4 places for clearance and backlash. Not to mention the inherent slop you have from crank to cam in ANY motor.

Monte
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 09/01/14 07:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Are the caps and rotors for the aluminum tach drive distributors the same as the cast iron? If so I have some part numbers.

Bill

Yes they are the same part. I use the Accel caps and rotors.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 09/01/14 07:05 PM

Thanks see mancini has them as you said.

Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 09/01/14 07:17 PM

Quote:

Yep........it can't possibly be accurate. Too many places for slop. In the pump, in the gear, where dist fits in gear and the dist itself. That's 4 places for clearance and backlash. Not to mention the inherent slop you have from crank to cam in ANY motor.

Monte

Distributer timing is about as accurate as the valve adjustment chart. :eye The flying magnet style of ignition(crank trigger) has been around for ages on small engines like lawn mowers,etc.This is the most positive way for accurate timing since it set mechanically at a fixed spot on the crank and all the slop areas mentioned have no effect.It is firing at the preset degrees with the crank rotation and can only change if you physically move the pickup.

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 09/02/14 12:30 AM

So all I can seem to find is a MSD crank trigger kit. Installment paper work is not very good.
http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD+Ignition/121/8636/10002/-1
Not sure how this would work with my setup.

Posted By: dvw

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 09/02/14 01:06 AM

Quote:

So all I can seem to find is a MSD crank trigger kit. Installment paper work is not very good.
http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD+Ignition/121/8636/10002/-1
Not sure how this would work with my setup.

Piece of cake. Reluctor wheel goes behind the crank pulley. Space the alternator out the same amount ( I believe .250" ). Mount the pick-up on the drivers side, done.
Doug
Posted By: Street Monkies

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 09/02/14 06:16 AM

Quote:

That's what blows my mind. A ton of racers buy a more expensive distributor and lock it out anyway. So basically its a magnetic pick up and reluctor doing the work. A Firecore can do that for a lot less money, still has good bearings , etc in it.
There are a few reasons I dont use MSD ignition in my builds. But thats a different subject.
Keith

I agree with Keith the msd stuff is on the expensive side. The Summit brand is cheaper also and works just as well. Same thing goes with the Firecore. What I wan't to know is how many of you guys even build racin engines everyday??? When you build racinengines everyday you get pretty good and know what work's. I don't care if people has been doing it for 40 year's. When you do it everyday it comes with way more experience and expertise. Just my
Posted By: sublimehemi

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 09/02/14 06:40 AM

just want to say i did a firecore on a my dads t/a chally over the weekend along with their stock looking firecore coil and dialed it in and all i have to say is wowwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!never ran so smooth...drove like a efi car...and was very fast...the best

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 09/02/14 07:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Keith

I agree with Keith the msd stuff is on the expensive side. The Summit brand is cheaper also and works just as well. Same thing goes with the Firecore. What I wan't to know is how many of you guys even build racin engines everyday??? When you build racinengines everyday you get pretty good and know what work's. I don't care if people has been doing it for 40 year's. When you do it everyday it comes with way more experience and expertise. Just my

The problem with Summit brand, Jegs brand, whatever off brand generic part you choose to buy, is that you never know who makes it from month to month. They simply award that contract to whoever will do it the cheapest and you can bet it is likely overseas...........Now, does it "work" as good as an MSD. The answer is MAYBE, but not likely. Just because the car runs, doesn't mean it works as good. When it comes to electronic stuff an oscilloscope is your friend to determine how WELL something works............The "flying magnet" part, the wheel, no big deal. The sensor, much bigger deal. Needs to be quality, so I will stick with MSD for a few bucks more

Monte
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 09/02/14 12:54 PM

Just to mention that for most application a distributer is fine for most all street and race applications and has and will work but if you want to build a all out high end drag race engine and have the best and most accurate timing go crank trigger.It is so simple to set up even a cave man can do it and with todays control modules you can have control over all your timing and RPM phases.For those who want to stay with a distributer set up we recommend Firecore as the best bang for your buck,MSD is good also but more costly.With Firecore you can get replacement parts at most any auto store.

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 09/02/14 06:51 PM

I agree 100% with BG on this. A crank triggered system is nice but not a necessity for most bracket racers. Most guys running a crank trigger are using the same sloppy parts to actually distribute the spark anyway. Just the actual timing to the ignition box is improved.
Keith
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Ok Lets Talk about Distributors - 09/02/14 10:17 PM

I use mostly stock Mopar distributors(recurved and shorten up the amount of advance by me ) on my bracket racing motors, I will, and have, use a crank trigger on a all out wazoo motor My current 505 low deck stroker has a Mopar distributor with the vacume advance module not used and I shorten up advance weights and change the advance springs, it has gone 5.94 at 115. in the 1/8 mile with no tuning , 7700 RPM last year before changing the valve springs and rear gear ratio this year
© 2024 Moparts Forums