Moparts

Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4?

Posted By: dvw

Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/30/14 07:34 PM

Checking for a friend. Is Super Pro at The MM event at Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4?
Thanks Doug
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/30/14 09:37 PM

I am real sure that is 1/4 mile
Posted By: BPE

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/30/14 11:44 PM

All classes except for KOS and quick 16 will be 1/4 mile.

Rod

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/31/14 04:06 AM

Ok Thanks. Car is geared for the 1/8 as that is what everyone runs up here.
Doug
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/31/14 05:14 AM

Quote:

Doug

Who, frankly is " everybody"..... US 131 is1/4 mile track,and I thought Milan does also, unless it's changed very recently. Those easily the two biggest tracks in Michigan.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/31/14 05:31 AM

Seems like most of the northern states are 1/4 mile and the southern boys race 1/8 mile. Probably scared of the high speeds.

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/31/14 05:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Doug

Who, frankly is " everybody"..... US 131 is1/4 mile track,and I thought Milan does also, unless it's changed very recently. Those easily the two biggest tracks in Michigan.

Yes both are 1/4 mile tracks. However Milan, Mid Michigan, and Ubly all run Super Pro 1/8 mile. Looks to me that 131 still runs it on the 1/4 mile. Milan and Mid Michigan still run Pro on the 1/4 as well.
Doug

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/31/14 05:45 AM

I think the Kilkare race was mostly 1/8 mile wasn't it? Probably a prominent reason the car count was ultra low.
Based on my experiences, probably 80% of the guys who will be at Norwalk are there to have fun and run they're cars out the back door, have fun, go rounds if they can, but not lose sleep if they don't.
Definately some hardcore " payout number cruncher " guys there too,but most guys want to go all the way down the track and get some good air, good hook, timeslips
I know myself, if it was 1/8 mile, no way I would take the time off work and spend the money to go. The fact Norwalk ISN'T that way is why so many guys will be there.
Posted By: CraigS

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/31/14 06:08 AM

What happens in that last 660 ft that's so great???
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/31/14 06:22 AM

Quote:

Did you build the car to be able to handle stretching it's legs?
Speed!!!!!
Strategy......

From the beginning it's been 1/4 mile to race so why back off? 1/8 mile and I'm really not interested. May as well sit in the parking lot and talk about how fast you think it is.

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/31/14 06:22 AM

Quote:

You continue to gain speed and you get a 1/4 mile timeslip at the ET shack.
Each to his own. Guess it depends on where your from. I find much less fun in going half track than full track... I like the higher speed, and even like braking from that higher speed.

I couldn't imagine a hemi super stocker running 1/8 mile. Thank god everything cool still runs on the quarter mile like the sport was originally intended. The only thing thus far that has been " officially" ruined is funny car and top fuel

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/31/14 06:25 AM

How many races are won it that last 660 in high gear just driving???I think 90 % of races are won at the starting line,aren't they?????1/8th mile has a starting line.

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/31/14 06:29 AM

Don't get me wrong,I love 1/4 mile too.I hate that NHRA has gone 1000ft in the fuel classes.But cmon,everything happens in the first part of the track,reaction time,tire spin,shifting,all the variables happen in the first 660 ft,am I wrong??

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/31/14 06:30 AM

Quote:

How many races are won it that last 660 in high gear just driving???I think 90 % of races are won at the starting line,aren't they?????1/8th mile has a starting line.

Damn if thats the case lets just sit in chairs and do Christams Tree starts!!!!! Best light is a winner

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/31/14 06:38 AM

Reaction Time is not the whole story,but it varies more for me than my car varies ET wise.Last night my car ran within .020 seconds on all 6 passes ,but my reaction times varied by .100 best to worst.I know that proves I am a crappy driver,but my car is pretty tight.And if I ran quarter I still would have got hammered.

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/31/14 06:39 AM

Quote:

Far from 90% are. But your making the assumption( wrongly) that everybody cares about sawing down the tree.
Tons of people go to the track to chase ET, or just see what the car they have runs. Not everyone is a dedicated bracket racer.
Heck, probably the two most important " new" developments in drag racing..... Grudge racing nights, and heads up radial stuff, the tree is nowhere near as important as getting down the track and getting your power down. Having 2 or 3 hundreds on the tree don't mean squat.

One of the reasons I am beginning to hate top fuel and funny car on the 1000 foot is it becomes more about money that being a true tuner and keeping the candles lit the whole 1320.

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/31/14 06:45 AM

OK.Sorry man,Around here all we do is bracket race,The heads up stuff only gets maybe 5% as many cars as bracket,In fact ,my local track has no heads up anything,and that grudge night stuff is all Honda/import guys .But I feel you ,I would much prefer to run quarter mile,but I still think most of the stuff happens in the first 660 ft.

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/31/14 06:56 AM

Quote:

OK.Sorry man,Around here all we do is bracket race,The heads up stuff only gets maybe 5% as many cars as bracket,In fact ,my local track has no heads up anything,and that grudge night stuff is all Honda/import guys .But I feel you ,I would much prefer to run quarter mile,but I still think most of the stuff happens in the first 660 ft.

I have bracket raced off and on for the last 40 years. I like it, don't get me wrong.... Lol

I went up to my first " grudge night" at my local track a few weeks ago( US131) there were 50 times more people there than any bracket race I have ever been to in my life( a few thousand people were there, probably 500 of whom were right on the starting line)
Almost no ricers. Mostly all 7 sec and slower nitrous/ turbo muscle cars trying to get tons of power down the track.

You need to get out more... Nights like the above pay the bills, bracket nights most generally don't. Sad but true.
People want to see high speeds , possible wrecks, and nitrous purges.

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/31/14 07:05 AM

Get out more????Where to Michigan???that's about 800 miles away.Like I said here in KY,that midnight madness stuff is a bunch of Honda civics and Neons and Maybe a 240sx with a turbo,most of em running 10 second 1/8th miles.I understand your point,but all the tracks within 150 miles of me run 1/8th mile,so I am supposed to not race,cause its only 1/8th mile?I guess I should move to Oklahoma City and race on the street with all those losers?I was making a point that most of the action on the dragstrip happens in the first 660 ft.,you cant admit that?????

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/31/14 07:16 AM

Quote:

Get out more????Where to Michigan???that's about 800 miles away.Like I said here in KY,that midnight madness stuff is a bunch of Honda civics and Neons and Maybe a 240sx with a turbo,most of em running 10 second 1/8th miles.I understand your point,but all the tracks within 150 miles of me run 1/8th mile,so I am supposed to not race,cause its only 1/8th mile?I guess I should move to Oklahoma City and race on the street with all those losers?I was making a point that most of the action on the dragstrip happens in the first 660 ft.,you cant admit that?????

No, I hear ya, I am spoiled. Most of the racing around here is 1/4 mile.
I am thankfull it's that way, if it wasn't I would have WAY less interest in spending my time and money on a car and racing it.
1/4 or 1/8 the tree and stripe are both important, as both have them.
I have always raced 3 speed automatics, so to me I much more enjoy hitting the tree, hitting my shift points, then racing the finish line. To me the 1/4 affords the opportunity to do all of those things.
But if your a racer, you race at what you have. If my local track hadn't been 1/4 mile 40+ years ago when I first went down the track, I would probably be skeet shooting, or bowling or something

Btw... I was born in Elizabethtown, Ky. It's a little better than 6 hours from me, and I am 1/2 hour from my local track, it isn't close to 800 miles to anywhere in Kentucky from here.... LOL
Posted By: Wv68charger

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/31/14 02:07 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYY6hoicIyQ&sns=em

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/31/14 02:42 PM

You know it's funny. I posted this because I've been trying to get my friend to regear his car for the 1/4. I personally don't care for the 1/8 either. And for the comment "90 percent of the races are won on the line" If you race that way you are either VERY good at the line or don't win much. I find action at the stripe at speed a lot of fun. The recent 2 races I won had a couple of "come from behind". Including a .007 stripe on a guy who had a .000 R/T
Doug

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/31/14 03:43 PM

Why is it that when brand new cars are relished from the factory they always brag about their 1/4 mile time slip and not their 1/8 mile time-slip? Because people can relate to 1/4 mile times and could care less about hearing their 1/8 mile time.

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/31/14 04:28 PM

One of the dumbest things I hear is when people say racing 1/8 mile gets things through quicker.
I know at our 1/4 mile track, if a 10 flat car lifts at the 1/8 mile and coasts out doing 110 mph, he is going to take way longer to get off the track for the next pair than lifting at 135 mph at the 1/4 mile finish line and coasting out.

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/31/14 04:45 PM

Quote:

One of the dumbest things I hear is when people say racing 1/8 mile gets things through quicker.
I know at our 1/4 mile track, if a 10 flat car lifts at the 1/8 mile and coasts out doing 110 mph, he is going to take way longer to get off the track for the next pair than lifting at 135 mph at the 1/4 mile finish line and coasting out.

Now here's where I will disagree as I have witnessed it. 1/8 mile racing will and does shorten the racing program. We used to end up racing till 4am during the Halloween Classic till they switched over to 1/8 mile racing. Now we finish up way earlier which is great at that time of year. I'm kinda open minded on this subject as I do both and at times 1/8 mile is the smart move. (high car counts, bad weather, track conditions, cold track condition)
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/31/14 04:46 PM

The only thing about 1/8 mile racing is they have
way less oil downs.. oil downs take a ton of time
(and money)

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/31/14 04:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Now here's where I will disagree as I have witnessed it. 1/8 mile racing will and does shorten the racing program. We used to end up racing till 4am during the Halloween Classic till they switched over to 1/8 mile racing. Now we finish up way earlier which is great at that time of year. I'm kinda open minded on this subject as I do both and at times 1/8 mile is the smart move. (high car counts, bad weather, track conditions, cold track condition)

And I guess I will disagree with this if you are referring to Norwalk. IF all things the same as far as oil downs then the 1/4 is quicker as the cars are getting to the end of the track quicker. Norwalk does not usually open the earlier turn offs so either way the cars HAVE to run to the end of the track. Please explain how a car running slower will clear the track quicker

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/31/14 05:00 PM

Quote:

(and money)

Interesting comment.

This year I have done a lot of watching at Saturday bracket races( getting pumped back up by finally having a car again)
And from sitting at the starting line watching pair after pair after pair race..... Most all car issues arise either after coming out of the water box( by far the most common) or immediately after the starting line...... Hoses, tranny lines, shifters, U joints, axles, water leaks... Etc, seem to most always happen from about 20 feet downtrack, to back in the water box.
Not saying stuff doesn't break from 660 to 1320, but it's insignificant compared to stuff I posted above... I would say a tenth as much failure...
Now I am talking bracket cars.....
Maybe I am wrong, but I have watched a ton of cars for a ton of years, I see what I see.
Oil downs take a long time to fix, but most failures happen around the starting line and water box.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/31/14 05:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

(and money)

Interesting comment.

This year I have done a lot of watching at Saturday bracket races( getting pumped back up by finally having a car again)
And from sitting at the starting line watching pair after pair after pair race..... Most all car issues arise either after coming out of the water box( by far the most common) or immediately after the starting line...... Hoses, tranny lines, shifters, U joints, axles, water leaks... Etc, seem to most always happen from about 20 feet downtrack, to back in the water box.
Not saying stuff doesn't break from 660 to 1320, but it's insignificant compared to stuff I posted above... I would say a tenth as much failure...
Now I am talking bracket cars.....
Maybe I am wrong, but I have watched a ton of cars for a ton of years, I see what I see.
Oil downs take a long time to fix, but most failures happen around the starting line and water box.

Cars do tend to blow up rear ends on the starting line,
thats where the stress is... but they dont string
out the oil... when they blow a engine on the top end
they string the oil out for a LONG WAY... much harder
to clean it up and more time and money

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/31/14 05:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And I guess I will disagree with this if you are referring to Norwalk. IF all things the same as far as oil downs then the 1/4 is quicker as the cars are getting to the end of the track quicker. Norwalk does not usually open the earlier turn offs so either way the cars HAVE to run to the end of the track. Please explain how a car running slower will clear the track quicker

That was the point I was trying to make as well. 131 doesn't have an early turnout. Running 1/8 it takes way longer to coast out and clear the track.... Plus the ET shack is well past where you would be even if there was an earlier turnout.
Guess I never noticed Norwalk had an early turnout. When do they use it? For jr dragsters?

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/31/14 06:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Pay attention to Norwalks burnout procedure and you will see this has zero affect on running their program. The second both cars leave the guys in the water start their burn-outs. By time they are ready to stage those cars are off the track and long gone.

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/31/14 08:08 PM

guys,I guess I started this conversation of quarter vs eigth mile ,and I would much rather run quarter mile.In fact,Bowling Green is a quarter mile track 72 miles away from me,but,they run eighth mile in their reg Sunday program!?>They do however run a quarter mile trophy class,and I am getting a street car together just to run that.Plus ,I can take it to the big MOPAR meets and have sumpin to run at those ,too.I ran my 1/8 th mile car at BG once ,but I got into the limiter at 1000 ft and only ran 11.18.I think a 10.90 would be more likely if I had some more RPM or less gear.If I still had the 8 3/4 in it I could throw some 4.10's in it and see.I don't see how running quarter miole would slow a program down much,you are only on the track for 4 seconds longer!
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 08/31/14 11:19 PM

Guess I'll throw my 2cts in. lol. I prefer 1/8 for the big $$ races, and here's my take. A 69 Dart is like an aero brick. That last 660' pull against a digger or alterd, is giving up an edge. Areo and high closure advantages, are much more equal, in the 1/8. I also think it puts a little more pressure on the driver and the vehicle planner and mechanic. It's all tight, and it all has to be dialed and functioning within .005 to .01 around here.
Posted By: dakotawilly

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 09/01/14 04:29 AM

i have done both myself,and am a 1/4 mile fan,but years ago racing 1/8 at pacemakers was a blast on sat nights,you almost always had to dial down as it got cooler.and with no lights past the 1/8 you would disappear and hope like hell you could see where you were going.now its lit up and has concrete starting pad.sure beat national trails on a 95 degree sunday with no breeze and no shade anywhere.but its all fun....
Posted By: Eric

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 09/02/14 01:50 AM

I like them both but would rather 1/8th mile race any day. BTW Norwalk runs the 10k's 1/8th mile...
Posted By: sandmangtx

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 09/05/14 04:48 AM

ok guess i'll chime in since dvw is asking the question for me. was wondering if super pro was 1/8 mile becouse if you cant qualify for quick 16 you get bumped to super pro, but quick 16 is 1/8 mile so if im set up to run quick 16 and dont make the field it doesnt do much good. as far as tracks in michigan that run super pro 1/4 mile i'm pretty sure the only one that does is 131.and as far as it taking longer to get off the track after an 1/8th mile pass i'm going 132mph at the stripe and am off the track faster than most cars running in pro 1/4 mile. also the reason for asking was that norwalk runs the no box bonanza 1/8th mile and the ten grander box race was also 1/8th mile. wasnt trying to get everybody all worked up, just trying to get a game plan if i dont qualify for quick 16

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 09/05/14 05:09 AM

dont give into the pier pressure doug, all i've heard from you for years is if you cant cut a light you'll never win !!! I'll agree that driving the stripe is also very fun and important, especially after losing a race this weekend in the 6th round with a .000 light to his .003 light unfortunatly i took a little to much stripe! but if he wasn't .003 on the tree driving the big end would have been alot easier. and driving the stripe at 130 - 140 mph in the 1/8th is alot harder than 130 to 140 mph in the 1/4 you got alot less time to make decisions. But it seems like alot more tracks are switching to 1/8th mile for super pro for insurance reasons

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 09/05/14 05:39 AM

Quote:

ok guess i'll chime in since dvw is asking the question for me. was wondering if super pro was 1/8 mile becouse if you cant qualify for quick 16 you get bumped to super pro, but quick 16 is 1/8 mile so if im set up to run quick 16 and dont make the field it doesnt do much good. as far as tracks in michigan that run super pro 1/4 mile i'm pretty sure the only one that does is 131.and as far as it taking longer to get off the track after an 1/8th mile pass i'm going 132mph at the stripe and am off the track faster than most cars running in pro 1/4 mile. also the reason for asking was that norwalk runs the no box bonanza 1/8th mile and the ten grander box race was also 1/8th mile. wasnt trying to get everybody all worked up, just trying to get a game plan if i dont qualify for quick 16

132mph 1/8 mile speed won't get you in the program I don't think. The year I wrecked (2010) there I ran a 5.48@140 something and wouldn't have made the field.

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 09/05/14 06:00 AM

were they running quick 16 or quick 32 at the race you were at? and what is the average et and speed to make it in the quick 32 field, I'm guessing they will have 16 dragsters and 16 door cars. what e.t do you think it will take to qualify in a door car? speed above was in dragster 5.18 e.t @ 132mph. Door car to be tested this weekend, 68 tube chassis gtx with blown big block on alky.

Attached picture 8261637-gtx.png

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 09/05/14 11:58 AM

Norwalk was a quick 32 in 2010. Charlie still ran it that year and I'm thinking the door-side was around 5.30 to get in. Check MM website because for some reason I think Kilcare was an all run field under a certain ET.

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 09/05/14 01:18 PM

ok thanks, i will look on MM web site. thought you had to run at least 5.70 to get in. thanks for the info
Posted By: joshking440

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 09/05/14 01:58 PM

Not sure if this is answered---

Super Pro is 1/4

Big Dog is an all run class faster than 5.70 to the 1/8th

We tried split fields, 32 car fields, and we think this will work out the best.

http://www.monstermopar.com/#!rules/cx5o

Re: Super Pro at Monster Mopar Norwalk 1/8 or 1/4? - 09/05/14 02:22 PM

Thanks for the info josh,I think the all run field will work great also.
© 2024 Moparts Forums