Moparts

1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build?

Posted By: SLEDGEHAMMER

1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/25/14 02:51 PM

I am looking at engine combinations for local heads up power adder class racing.

I am looking at big block, small block and Gen III Hemi stuff.

I have been out of the loop for a bit due to working on getting my real estate license and getting that business going.

Is it true it is getting harder to find racing blocks for the small blocks? And what about the availability for big blocks?

Whatever I build it will need to make 1100+HP.

I am leaning towards the Gen 3 Hemi, but I am open for recommendations.
Posted By: dizuster

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/25/14 02:58 PM

All three could meet your goals. What are the rule restrictions? You should optimize the combo based on that.

Weight per motor?
Tire size?
Etc...
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/25/14 03:15 PM

All 3 will work, Gen III's have come way down in cost. You'll need boost and a driveline to handle the power. It comes down to how much money you have to spend. You won't need to spin an old school BB as much as the others. That could make it live longer.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/25/14 03:24 PM

Only R3 blocks are the ones people already own.... none in warehouse, no production date.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/25/14 03:30 PM

First thing.. is it 1/8 mile or 1/4... turboed engines
tend to work better on the 1/4.. spray tends to work
better on the 1/8

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/25/14 03:33 PM

I am looking at the radial classes where the limitation has been pretty much BB are limited to nitrous unless I go Outlaw Drag Radial and the wallet is no where near that deep.

The small blocks can be turbo, supercharged or multistage nitrous.

Right now some of the people I have been talking to are saying it would be cheaper and easier to find parts to drop a Chevy motor in it.

I have been waiting to see the Victor small block Mopar heads but still waiting.

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/25/14 03:41 PM

Quote:

I am looking at the radial classes where the limitation has been pretty much BB are limited to nitrous unless I go Outlaw Drag Radial and the wallet is no where near that deep.

Right now some of the people I have been talking to are saying it would be cheaper and easier to find parts to drop a Chevy motor in it.

I have been waiting to see the Victor small block Mopar heads but still waiting.

Sounds like the Gen 3 would be a good one... your
open to anything then ... or see if you can find a
R3 block and a set of W-8s

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/25/14 04:00 PM

Quote:

Only R3 blocks are the ones people already own.... none in warehouse, no production date.

That is what I was afraid of when it comes to the LA small block.
Posted By: a493demon

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/25/14 05:50 PM

This is what i went with.
http://www.fastmopar.com/forum/index.php?topic=5327.0
Posted By: cold85

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/25/14 06:26 PM

i am going with a turbo w8
Posted By: all spooled up

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/25/14 06:31 PM

Quote:

HOWS THAT COMING ALONG

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/25/14 06:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

HOWS THAT COMING ALONG

brett still has heads and block but should get them picked up this weekend> Ordered crank and waiting on it.
Posted By: rt66jim

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/25/14 06:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

HOWS THAT COMING ALONG

brett still has heads and block but should get them picked up this weekend> Ordered crank and waiting on it.

Who's crank are you using and what will the stroke be? If you don't mind telling. Jim
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/25/14 07:10 PM

1100HP in a good BB with a B1MC head is certainly attainable with no power adders. So add a nitrous friendly cam, ring pack, and piston and even a small shot will more than eclipse that. FWIW my junk pile went 8.0's with a pretty basic no maintenance 525" B1MC at 2975lbs that was set up to run on the stop. You can do the HP math for yourself.

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/26/14 02:01 AM

I actually had a X Block short block that disappeared when a local machine shop closed up and surprise surprise no one told me until some time had passed

So now I am back to square one. I am about ready just to say screw it all and just let the car sit in the shop on jack stands and keep dust off the floor.

I got tired of the racing BS and games that I had been dealing with. I got so frustrated with the crooks, shady ones and back stabbers that I actually walked away from it all. It just seemed like I never could catch a break.

I guess I am too hardheaded to stay away so I am going to try to make a go of it again.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/26/14 02:00 PM

Just my opinion, but I'd do a 500+ inch big block w/ some B1 heads and a Monte Smith nitrous system. It'd be pretty easy to make 900 or so on the motor, then hit it w/ a big kit.

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/26/14 02:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

HOWS THAT COMING ALONG

Who's crank are you using and what will the stroke be? If you don't mind telling. Jim

4.000 scat billet
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/26/14 04:30 PM

Quote:

I actually had a X Block short block that disappeared when a local machine shop closed up and surprise surprise no one told me until some time had passed

So now I am back to square one. I am about ready just to say screw it all and just let the car sit in the shop on jack stands and keep dust off the floor.

I got tired of the racing BS and games that I had been dealing with. I got so frustrated with the crooks, shady ones and back stabbers that I actually walked away from it all. It just seemed like I never could catch a break.

I guess I am too hardheaded to stay away so I am going to try to make a go of it again.

I am on my second machine shop and still waiting...I feel your pain. My engine should have been running a year ago. Paying people to do stuff is overrated most of the time I guess.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/26/14 07:06 PM

Quote:

On radials tires I would choose the SB route(for the 1/8 mile tracks ) and use a crank driven Pro Charger with a power management EFI, maybe the GEN 3 Hemi if the class rules will allow that The BB with NOS will probally be a traction plagued combination on any track
Posted By: sdaurity

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/26/14 07:54 PM

Quote:

better on the 1/8

Dude its not 1994 any power adder will do just fine. 100ft or 1/4 mile doesnt matter.

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/26/14 08:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

better on the 1/8

Dude its not 1994 any power adder will do just fine. 100ft or 1/4 mile doesnt matter.

I dis-agree.. turbos are better on the 1/4

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/26/14 10:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

better on the 1/8

So this is based on personal car and tuning experience? I would love to see pics of your nitrous, supercharged, and turbo car/cars. I assume they were all blow-thru on the forced induction ones since you had such a time picking a fuel injection system a few weeks back?

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/26/14 10:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

better on the 1/8

So this is based on personal car and tuning experience? I would love to see pics of your nitrous, supercharged, and turbo car/cars. I assume they were all blow-thru on the forced induction ones since you had such a time picking a fuel injection system a few weeks back?

I've built different cars, turbo and blown... but
I also see cars at the track... just because I am
just now going to injection you think I dont know..
think what you want

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/26/14 11:24 PM

I never get why you can run N2O on a BB but not boost. You can do a 300 plate system. What's the difference? It's so stupid....I mean BB SB what have you; it all cost MONEY. The difference is tiny, I get the tire/suspention aspect but not the BB vs SB junk. You can make a SB 450+CID.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/27/14 12:37 AM

Im saving my like new 6.1 crank for later down the road a 5.7 single turbo cheap engine.
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/27/14 03:12 AM

I've been 5.30 at 132 with 440-1 heads and nitrous. 3350 lbs, I would say that's a little more than 1100 hp. Build a big block , b1 originals or mc, throw on some nitrous, I'd say you can make pretty close to 1000 on motor alone. Make sure you get the " correct" cam and have the right person prepare the heads for nitrous use....they need a little help in certain areas.

Do you plan on running ultra street .?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/27/14 01:27 PM

small block Mopars and Boost is not the best plan--4 bolts per cylinder on the head is not good for forced induction--poor idea IMO
Run from that go big block
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/27/14 01:32 PM

Quote:

small block Mopars and Boost is not the best plan--4 bolts per cylinder on the head is not good for forced induction--poor idea IMO

You do know race blocks are 6 bolt. And any motor you build at this hp level needs to be a aftermarket block, big or small.

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/27/14 02:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You do know race blocks are 6 bolt. And any motor you build at this hp level needs to be a aftermarket block, big or small.

This is why these threeads make me want to pull my hair out. Not a clue and giving advise.

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/27/14 02:40 PM

Quote:

I never get why you can run N2O on a BB but not boost. You can do a 300 plate system. What's the difference? It's so stupid....I mean BB SB what have you; it all cost MONEY. The difference is tiny, I get the tire/suspention aspect but not the BB vs SB junk. You can make a SB 450+CID.

You can run bb and boost, you have to run outlaw 275 or outlaw drag radial. You do know they run 900 cu in big blocks on spray and 670 cu in on boost in theses two classes, how do you think a small block would stand up?
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/27/14 03:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is why these threeads make me want to pull my hair out. Not a clue and giving advise.

And what car is yours? What power adder? What it run?
Please share your advise wise one. You seem to know it all.

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/27/14 03:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think everyone is missing the biggest question its not about how much power.
What class are you looking to run? if its x275 then you are wasting time with a bb mopar. if its outlaw then what are the rules. Sure many combinations will make 1100 but if you are talking about a heads up class then rules and weights play a bigger part than anything
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/27/14 03:21 PM

Quote:

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/27/14 03:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

And it was small block w8 nitrous powered.

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/27/14 03:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You can run bb and boost, you have to run outlaw 275 or outlaw drag radial. You do know they run 900 cu in big blocks on spray and 670 cu in on boost in theses two classes, how do you think a small block would stand up?

Then run a BB, they both cost TONS of money. Which was my point. Isn't it all about going fast?

"I am looking at the radial classes where the limitation has been pretty much BB are limited to nitrous"

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/27/14 03:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What class are you looking to run? if its x275 then you are wasting time with a bb mopar. if its outlaw then what are the rules. Sure many combinations will make 1100 but if you are talking about a heads up class then rules and weights play a bigger part than anything

I don't think 1100 hp would be competitive in any of the heads up classes.

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/27/14 04:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe ultra

I don't think 1100 hp would be competitive in any of the heads up classes.

Posted By: AlexP

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/27/14 04:08 PM

Forged 6.1 Hemi, Stock 6.4 or 6.1 heads with Ti retainers, GOOD springs and rocker shaft tie downs, off the shelf TTI headers and a Procharger F1, Vortech Outlaw blower, KB 2.8 or a single GT45 etc turbo....

Splurge on the fuel system and you could even have AC and drive it on the street.

MS3x engine management by www.EFIsource.com

If you'd like me to outline it part by part and have any detailed questions, ask away.

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/27/14 04:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Then run a BB, they both cost TONS of money. Which was my point. Isn't it all about going fast?

"I am looking at the radial classes where the limitation has been pretty much BB are limited to nitrous"

This is x275 that you are talking about. If you want to run bb with boost there are classes was my point. So its like this Ultra 5.00 ets, x275 4.50 ets, outlaw 275 4.20 ets and outlaw drag radial with 4.00 ets. Pick what class your wallet can afford and build a combo to those rules.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/27/14 04:56 PM

Now you know why I built my turbo car for me and not a "Class"
Small tires and heavy cars are not what I like. I'd rather build what I like and have fun test and tuning, then be an also ran.
It's light and has plenty of tire.

I think we need to start the "Front Runner Nationals"
Rules are you must be over 5000#
You must run a Weld 3.5 wide front wheel on the back
Any 24 inch front runner tire
And must have a bigger slick on the front wheels then your rear tire.
And no power management.
Ha ha ha

There's prolly someone already in the 3's with this combo ha ha ha

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/27/14 05:02 PM

Quote:

Now you know why I built my turbo car for me and not a "Class"
Small tires and heavy cars are not what I like. I'd rather build what I like and have fun test and tuning, then be an also ran.
It's light and has plenty of tire.

I think we need to start the "Front Runner Nationals"
Rules are you must be over 5000#
You must run a Weld 3.5 wide front wheel on the back
Any 24 inch front runner tire
And must have a bigger slick on the front wheels then your rear tire.
And no power management.
Ha ha ha

There's prolly someone already in the 3's with this combo ha ha ha

Well some of us like the competition in these classes. To each there own. I like to see how fast people can go given a certain set of rules.
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/27/14 05:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

OK then..... Back under my rock i shall go.

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/27/14 09:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And it was small block w8 nitrous powered.

That same car has been stock bb, -1 heads and a 98mm ran 5.30's years back. Was the same motor with nitrous and went 5.60's 10 years ago. I am building a mustang now with a BB and a 118. Work on the stuff everyday for a living. Sorry.

Re: 1100+ HP engine combinations what would you build? - 08/27/14 09:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OK then..... Back under my rock i shall go.

That car is for sale. I will hook you up.
© 2024 Moparts Forums