Moparts

Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build...

Posted By: MadMopars

Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/24/14 08:10 PM

Here's the deal, I've been trying to pick away at my car in a quest to beat an 11.99 or better out of it with small gains here and there It's a LOW BUCK, mild 440 in a GTX that's race ready weight is around 3,750 and currently runs 12.30s with D.A around 4,500. This is also a street car so it's full exhaust, full interior, lights, etc. I'll list the engine details below. I've been trying to avoid the tunnel ram, open exhaust and anything else that would lead people to believe it should be much faster than it is. I guess I'd rather have a quick street car than a slow race car if that makes any sense. I also have a few parts laying around for other projects that I am contemplating throwing at it which I will also list below. I was just curious as to whether I am being unrealistic looking for an 11.99 or if I have one particular component that's holding me back that should be changed. Any thoughts or input on how to improve the performance without throwing large amounts of money away are greatly appreciated.

440,Standard bore, Standard Stroke
9.1 Compression
906 Heads with 2.14/1.81 Valves
Hooker 1 7/8 Headers, 3" Full exhaust, Flowmasters, No H or X Pipe
Holley Street Dominator / M1 S.P Intake (Tried both)
B/G 750 Silver Claw
M.P 296/557 Camshaft
J/W 3500 Stall converter
Mallory Unilite @ 39* Total
4.56 Gears, 30" Rear Tire

E.T is 1.69 60', 7.80's 1/8th, 12.30's @ 108+/- MPH

It seems as though it doesn't make the top end power. I shift at 5600/5800 and trap around 6,000. Also, the car ran quicker with 4.56 gears than it did with 4.30's FWIW. BTW, already confirmed fuel pressure is a solid 7 Lbs well into 3rd gear. Fuel Delivery does not seem to be an issue.

Spare parts I'm contemplating swapping in but hesitant about are:

M1 Tunnel Ram w/660's (Race car appearance though.)
Electric Water Pump
Hooker 5209's (2" Primarys) and possibly add H-Pipe
Dana 60 w/4:88 gears
"Your idea here..."

Thanks Guys!
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/24/14 08:22 PM

Seems to me that you are doing really really well already! 12.30s and 3750 lbs...not bad.

Given your 108 trap speed I would agree that top end hp is where you could improve.
How about a cold air induction system??? I picked up .25 seconds in a mild 440 cuda years ago.

Is there any weight to shed?
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/24/14 08:29 PM

Larger primary's, H/X pipe and low restriction mufflers ( reads straight throughs ) would all help. Running the CR up to 10 / 10.5. Tunnel ram would help. 4.88's would run you out of motor too soon IMO. Higher stall vert ( maybe 4500 / 5000 ) would help.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/24/14 08:42 PM

I'm no expert compared to a lot of you but I would look at head porting (no mention of it) and a bigger carb. The ET seems really good for the MPH.

Sheldon
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/24/14 09:07 PM

IMO,. more compression, better heads and more carb.
Posted By: clonestocker

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/24/14 09:54 PM

Hey Trent, Wondered where you had been. Use some of Dad's parts . matt
Posted By: AAR-B4

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/24/14 10:23 PM

"440,Standard bore, Standard Stroke"

May want to consider starting at the beginning. I'll wager these 35+ year old bores are oversize, out of round and tapered.

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/25/14 12:30 AM

Quote:

Seems to me that you are doing really really well already! 12.30s and 3750 lbs...not bad.

Given your 108 trap speed I would agree that top end hp is where you could improve.
How about a cold air induction system??? I picked up .25 seconds in a mild 440 cuda years ago.

Is there any weight to shed?

With the roadrunner hood there aren't many options for fresh air. I did try to pull the inserts from the front of the hood to see if the openings would net any fresh air, it made no difference. I think the openings are to small and to low in the air stream to be functional. When I ran the tunnel ram in the past with a hole in a flat hood, it picked up 2-3 tenths, probably due to the fresh air in part. They do make a fiberglass Roadrunner hood. I think they are around $350 plus shipping. Just not sure it's dollar to e.t gain is justifiable. I've got a couple areas I could trim weight from, I just hate to do it at the expense of making it less of a street car. Everything is a compromise I guess.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/25/14 12:41 AM

Shave your heads .040/.050, 4500 vert, and add your electric water pump and your there. Might not even need the vert. But that would guarantee it.

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/25/14 12:47 AM

Quote:

Larger primary's, H/X pipe and low restriction mufflers ( reads straight throughs ) would all help. Running the CR up to 10 / 10.5. Tunnel ram would help. 4.88's would run you out of motor too soon IMO. Higher stall vert ( maybe 4500 / 5000 ) would help.

The car picks up about a tenth, with the exhaust cut outs removed. I know that the Flowmasters are very poor flowing from what I've heard but I was kind of fond of the sound. I think the 5209's and the addition of an H pipe would help assuming the Flowmasters aren't the plug in the system. I did bump the compression from 7.8 to 9.1 by swapping from smogger pistons to a set from a 69 motor. I was under the impression it would come out closer to 10:1. I wouldn't have bothered if I knew better.

I do think that what I gain in the 60' with the 4.88's will probably be lost at the top due to the higher trap RPM as you mentioned. I may have to rethink that approach, although it did pick up going from 4:30's to 4:56's so who knows.

As far as converter goes, I did the math on the slippage and it was less than 10% as I recall. I would have to confirm that though. I would not necessarily be opposed to a higher stall converter on the street. Years ago we had a 3500 stall T.C.I in my Dads Belvedere. Up until the day it died, that converter worked awesome. His car has never launched the same with a 3500 JW in place of it. I would love to get another T.C.I to see how it would do.

Think a 4500 stall would be to high for such a low revving combo?

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/25/14 12:59 AM

Quote:

"440,Standard bore, Standard Stroke"

May want to consider starting at the beginning. I'll wager these 35+ year old bores are oversize, out of round and tapered.

I did have it honed when I swapped from the smogger pisons to the 69 castings. However, the pistons were used and the block hasn't been bored, decked or line honed. It was a low buck motor and as such I'm sure I'm asking a lot of it. If I had known the compression would be so low even with the 69 pistons, I would have either square decked it at minimum or bought a real set of pistons. Lesson Learned.

Quote:

I'm no expert compared to a lot of you but I would look at head porting (no mention of it) and a bigger carb. The ET seems really good for the MPH.

Sheldon

The heads were ported with the M.P. Template kit FWIW. I also tried a Holley 850 in place of my 750 Silver Claw and the car slowed down if you can believe that. I still don't quite understand that. With the Tunnel Ram, I run two 660 CFM Holley's and it loves it. I was just trying to keep the motor under the hood for now though.

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/25/14 01:03 AM

Quote:

Shave your heads .040/.050, 4500 vert, and add your electric water pump and your there. Might not even need the vert. But that would guarantee it.

Any real world numbers to be had with a swap to an electric water pump? I've always heard it wasn't worth much if you already removed the mechanical fan so I haven't bothered. I know it would make cool downs easier. You think that would be incentive enough for me.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/25/14 01:21 AM

Take a road-trip to MIR or Cecil county and you will go some 11.80's
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/25/14 01:39 AM

Ross .030 over domes, bush the rods,850dp and find some heads. Leave everything else.
Posted By: tex013

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/25/14 02:18 AM

my 2 cents worth - get a larger carb , look at your gearing , exhaust .
When I built my 440 it had 906 heads with home port/cleanup ( 10.4 comp),825 Mighty Demon , M1 single plane with 1" open spacer , 509 cam , 4200 stall, 3.9 gears and 28" radials . At around the same weight , over 3750lbs , it ran 11.80's

Tex
Posted By: dvw

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/25/14 02:40 AM

Used aluminum heads. Mill to increase compression. Put it on a diet.
Doug
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/25/14 02:57 AM

Quote:

I also tried a Holley 850 in place of my 750 Silver Claw and the car slowed down if you can believe that. I still don't quite understand that. With the Tunnel Ram, I run two 660 CFM Holley's and it loves it. I was just trying to keep the motor under the hood for now though.

As you have said the 850 Holley slowed the car down, usually when you add more air and fuel to 440 Mopars they go quicker and faster, I wonder what was or is wrong with that carb? Are you able to jet the carbs, both the single and duals, up enough to slow the car MPH down in the 1/4 mile? If not, pressure is not volume, there is a reason for that(not getting it fat enough to slow the car down, lack of fuel ) If so continue on One thing most guys don't try is to put in a lower 1st gear set I've done that several times using the Mopar brand helical cut 2.77 low gears, that wakes up the beast on the starting line As long as the rear tires will hold it 2.45x4.56= 11.172 starting line ratio, 2.77x4.56= 12.631
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/25/14 03:21 AM

Smaller chamber aluminum heads like stealths or rpms
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/25/14 03:31 AM

Quote:

Agree 100%

And the last thing I would do is put larger diameter headers on it. The ones installed are plenty adequate to support a much stouter motor than what you have.
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/25/14 03:44 AM

Don't know how much "budget" you have, but a conveter will be $600-$700, alum heads wil be $1200-$1600, cam & lifters $300-$400, ect.
What head gaskets are on the engine? If they are the felpro 1009 or similar (which measure approx .040" thick), put on a set of steel shim gaskets (approx .017" thick). The cost is about $50-$60 (head, header and intake gaskets) and a days work. 4.88 gears will make it just about unstreetable.
Cam timing could be usefull and cheap. Advance that cam about 4-5 degrees from recomended to get that boat moving. When at the strip, consider race fuel, then jet the carb up a size or two.
With that low compression and small cam, 40-42+ total ignition timing is not a bad thing as long as you run good fuel (110 octane).
All these things will add up and are cheap. The fuel and ignition timing can be adjusted back to sreet use.
Good luck, you can get there.

Brian
Posted By: 383man

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/25/14 05:05 AM

Thats very close to my old 440 I used to have in my 63. Its a good build to compare too:

1970 440 block .030 with stock rods and KB quench dome pitons and stock crank

906 heads I ported and added 2.14 and 1.81 valves and they were cut to give me 10.0 and quench with the KB pistons.

Holley Street Dominator intake with an 850 DP

Mallory dist with MP orange ign box running 37 total

MP .557 cam and Isky ductile rockers

Hedman 1-3/4 headers with 3 inch pipes and a H-pipe with Ultra-Flow mufflers

727 with Dynamic 9.5 converter that flashes about 4200 and turbo action revers manual valve body

8-3/4 with 4.30's and 30 x 9 Hoosier radial slicks

Car weighs just over 3700 lbs with me in it and ran a best ever of 11.49 @ 116 on a real good day. Average et's were from 11.60's to 11.80's. Ron

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/25/14 05:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Agree 100%

And the last thing I would do is put larger diameter headers on it. The ones installed are plenty adequate to support a much stouter motor than what you have.

Yes, dont go bigger on the headers. Look at Rons old combo above. Good Combo!
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/25/14 07:30 AM

The carb seems small for what your doing. Have you had your heads flowed?
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/25/14 01:58 PM

I would start with the basics, getting the bottom end in the best shape possible. You have no quench in that motor, poor ring seal, and low compression. The fix is some .030 reverse dome pistons like the KB hypereutectic, and deck the block to the right height along with setting the chambers up for a max .045 distance. Put the cam in advanced and the deal ought to pick up a whole lot of performance. Do this, and properly gap the rings and the car ought to go 11.80s with a good cold air kit.
Posted By: 74yellowduster

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/25/14 02:06 PM

9.1 Compression
906 Heads with 2.14/1.81 Valves

these are holding you back out of the 11's.

10:1
+
get some ported aluminum heads (eddy's or better, but they get pricey)
Posted By: mshred

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/25/14 06:08 PM

Electric water pump (you have it, mine as well try it!), ditch the choke masters for a straight through muffler and a cross pipe (X or H), and maybe sell off the bigger headers and tunnel ram for an entry level aluminum head like a stealth?

I am no expert, but can appreciate the budget builds...it would be nice to take the motor out, deck it, pistons, etc....but then all that nonsense isn't budget anymore lol

Good luck and cool ride!
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/25/14 06:25 PM

Quote:

The heads were ported with the M.P. Template kit FWIW. I also tried a Holley 850 in place of my 750 Silver Claw and the car slowed down if you can believe that. I still don't quite understand that. With the Tunnel Ram, I run two 660 CFM Holley's and it loves it. I was just trying to keep the motor under the hood for now though.

I talked to Dwayne Porter about the MP templates once as a set of heads I bought were template ported, if you stick to the instructions it specifically tells you not to touch the short turn and that is where the big gains come from ... but if you do not know what you are doing you can turn them into junk pretty fast, the better heads to do would have been the smoggers , they don't have a short turn to screw up .... just adding the valves and bowl blending don't really do much, other than burn money.

The heads are the cork , either have someone that knows what they are doing rework them and cut them .050 as stated to bump compression and that should get you there .

Did you change the jetting on that 850 or just throw it on and expect it to go faster ?
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/25/14 06:43 PM

- Fresh air via the headlights

- put it on a diet
- figure out why the bigger carb didn't help it, it should have
- 488/Dana is heavier, and you are already winding it out quite a bit

a 100-150 shot could put you in the 11.50's, and retain all street-ability, but you would be out of revs well before the stripe

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/25/14 07:31 PM

First, Thanks to everyone for the input. Much appreciated.

After reading through this thread and doing some research, I do believe there should be something to be gained by swapping to an 850. When I tried the last 850, the car sounded substantially louder. I would have sworn it would have picked up E.T. At the track it seemed to run rich even after re-jetting and general tuning. I know the carb is a good working carb. It was on my Dads Belvedere for years and worked great. It just didn't seem to work out well on my car. I will throw another one on there and see what happens.

Regarding compression, I know it's holding me back a good amount. I just hate to throw a bunch of money at it right now. By the time I buy the pistons, bore the motor, get rid of my stupid "six pack rods", balance it, buy gaskets and rings it'll be a good chunk of change. I have a 13:1 451 short block and a 10.5:1 440 long block sitting in the garage for other projects. I just assume throw one of those in there for a bit before I throw a ton of money at this motor right now.

Purchasing cylinder heads is also probably out of the question for awhile. Cutting mine down does seem tempting though as does advancing the cam. I've contemplated advancing the cam, even considered swapping rocker arms to 1.6's. Again, these are substantially cheaper projects and involve modifying or changing parts I already have so perhaps that adds appeal.

Thanks again for the input guys! I really appreciate it! If money was no object I would certainly try everything. However coming up on the holidays in this awesome economy my hands are slightly tied for now. At the same time I think part of the fun for me is the quest to see how fast I can go with this budget build. I just worry that I'm approaching the end of the budget aspect and may be expecting to much from the setup. I'll be sure to keep you all posted with what directions I go and how it works out.
Posted By: mshred

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/25/14 08:26 PM

Quote:

First, Thanks to everyone for the input. Much appreciated.

After reading through this thread and doing some research, I do believe there should be something to be gained by swapping to an 850. When I tried the last 850, the car sounded substantially louder. I would have sworn it would have picked up E.T. At the track it seemed to run rich even after re-jetting and general tuning. I know the carb is a good working carb. It was on my Dads Belvedere for years and worked great. It just didn't seem to work out well on my car. I will throw another one on there and see what happens.

Regarding compression, I know it's holding me back a good amount. I just hate to throw a bunch of money at it right now. By the time I buy the pistons, bore the motor, get rid of my stupid "six pack rods", balance it, buy gaskets and rings it'll be a good chunk of change. I have a 13:1 451 short block and a 10.5:1 440 long block sitting in the garage for other projects. I just assume throw one of those in there for a bit before I throw a ton of money at this motor right now.

Purchasing cylinder heads is also probably out of the question for awhile. Cutting mine down does seem tempting though as does advancing the cam. I've contemplated advancing the cam, even considered swapping rocker arms to 1.6's. Again, these are substantially cheaper projects and involve modifying or changing parts I already have so perhaps that adds appeal.

Thanks again for the input guys! I really appreciate it! If money was no object I would certainly try everything. However coming up on the holidays in this awesome economy my hands are slightly tied for now. At the same time I think part of the fun for me is the quest to see how fast I can go with this budget build. I just worry that I'm approaching the end of the budget aspect and may be expecting to much from the setup. I'll be sure to keep you all posted with what directions I go and how it works out.

What is the cam currently installed on for ICL? I would definitely advance the cam...Its a few hours of your time, some gaskets, and a degree wheel and could really make a difference! My car was a dog all last year until I finally advanced my cam 4 degrees, and it really woke up, especially on the 60' foot...Heavy car just like yours too...try it, might like it
Posted By: 383man

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/25/14 10:13 PM

Quote:

Thats very close to my old 440 I used to have in my 63. Its a good build to compare too:

1970 440 block .030 with stock rods and KB quench dome pitons and stock crank

906 heads I ported and added 2.14 and 1.81 valves and they were cut to give me 10.0 and quench with the KB pistons.

Holley Street Dominator intake with an 850 DP

Mallory dist with MP orange ign box running 37 total

MP .557 cam and Isky ductile rockers

Hedman 1-3/4 headers with 3 inch pipes and a H-pipe with Ultra-Flow mufflers

727 with Dynamic 9.5 converter that flashes about 4200 and turbo action revers manual valve body

8-3/4 with 4.30's and 30 x 9 Hoosier radial slicks

Car weighs just over 3700 lbs with me in it and ran a best ever of 11.49 @ 116 on a real good day. Average et's were from 11.60's to 11.80's. Ron

I meant to say that I only posted my old combo just to give you and idea of how another combo close to yours ran so it might help you compare things with yours. But I did forget to tell you I had the MP .557 cam in on a 104 installed centerline. Hope it might help you some and good luck with it. Ron
Posted By: B3RE

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/25/14 11:08 PM

Why are you shifting at only 56-5800? A 250ish @ .050 cam in a 440 should be shifted about 1000 rpm higher. Also, you mentioned swapping to a 1.6 rocker (assuming roller), but what are you running now?

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/25/14 11:34 PM

Quote:

I meant to say that I only posted my old combo just to give you and idea of how another combo close to yours ran so it might help you compare things with yours. But I did forget to tell you I had the MP .557 cam in on a 104 installed centerline. Hope it might help you some and good luck with it. Ron

Thanks for the info Ron. I'm debating on advancing the cam only because I need more top end power than bottom end right now. My understanding is advancing the cam will do just the opposite. Thoughts?

Quote:

Why are you shifting at only 56-5800? A 250ish @ .050 cam in a 440 should be shifted about 1000 rpm higher. Also, you mentioned swapping to a 1.6 rocker (assuming roller), but what are you running now?

Anything over 5800 and the car slows down across the board. As I type that, I think back to Cab's comment about fuel or other scenarios that I may be overlooking.

Rocker arms are 1.5 rollers.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/26/14 12:53 AM

Weight loss and transfer- Aluminum h20 housing and pump- battery in trunk?

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/26/14 12:58 AM

That's what I suspected. I think you have valvetrain instability that is limiting your rpm. I also think the cam is too big for that compression ratio. You need cylinder pressure and the only way to get it is with more compression or a smaller cam. Advancing the cam will help too, but it will take away from the top end. A cam about 15-20 degrees smaller and correct the valvetrain issues, and it will be a totally different animal.

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/26/14 06:04 AM

Quote:

That's what I suspected. I think you have valvetrain instability that is limiting your rpm. I also think the cam is too big for that compression ratio. You need cylinder pressure and the only way to get it is with more compression or a smaller cam. Advancing the cam will help too, but it will take away from the top end. A cam about 15-20 degrees smaller and correct the valvetrain issues, and it will be a totally different animal.

I'll bite, how did you determine that already? What's your recommendation for repair? How much is it going to cost me? Is it guaranteed to make my car faster?
Posted By: viperblue72

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/26/14 06:25 AM

The easiest way to gain at least 3 tenths is going to be in head flow.
Have the heads worked a little more, advance the cam, and mill the heads while youre at it.

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/26/14 01:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'll bite, how did you determine that already? What's your recommendation for repair? How much is it going to cost me? Is it guaranteed to make my car faster?

I'm not asking you to bite anything. It's obvious the car needs more low end and more rpm. Do you already have a smaller cam? If not, that will cost you money. Correcting the valvetrain will depend on how it's done. What other rockers do you have?
Out of all the advice given, you want a guarantee from me. Sounds like you think I know something. How's this, I guarantee it's wrong and I guarantee my solution will make it right. The rest is up to you.
Posted By: 74yellowduster

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/26/14 03:52 PM

these are for sale in the mopar engine forum

if that was the total price it would be just the ticket for you, but they are MW port size so you are talkin intake and headers to match prolly

Quote:

These were Dwayne Porters personal Heads, hand ported, to MW port size. Ran only on a dyno about 10 pulls, made 712 HP on a 451 motor.
I have oil lines, valley cover (indy), head bolts
See pic. I have more to send if needed. All you see is included.
Message here please.
$2850. Reasonable offers considered.
Message here please.
Attachment
Edited by Blown70 (Fri Aug 22 2014 09:52 AM)

Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/26/14 04:14 PM

Do NOT put on larger primary headers. That will kill the lowend.
I would also not use the 4.88 gears or the tunnelram. The tunnelram would probably run good, but that's not the "look" you're after. Like you mentioned, I'm also not a fan of slow "racecars".

The exhaust will benefit from a crossover...X pipe makes more power than an H, if you don't mind the sound of an X pipe. Either one will be better than true duals.

I don't argue that a straight through muffler flows better than a flowmaster, but on this combo I don't think they'll make much difference. I ran an old pair of 3" 2 chamber flowmasters on my car when it was running mid 11s...made no difference w/ or w/o them.
If your flowmasters are the bigger 3 chambers, then scrap them and get some straight through mufflers like a Dynomax ultraflow or Hooker max flow.

The Holley SD is a VERY good manifold...I'd stick w/ it.
A properly tuned bigger carb will definitely help. 440's love cfm...put an 830, 850, or even a 950 double pumper on it.

I'd keep the cam you have.

You could always throw some .020" thick steel shim head gaskets on it to gain some compression quickly and easily. Cheap too. Of course it wouldn't cost much to have another .020" or .030" shaved off the heads while you have them off.

It would probably like a looser converter too. You can have your current converter loosened up by any of the good converter companies.

In my experience, the electric water pump will be worth nearly a whole tenth in the 1/4 by itself.
On my car, I dropped a little over a tenth by eliminating the big clutch fan...still had the mechanical water pump.
Dropped almost another tenth w/ an electric water pump.
If you get one of the moroso water pump drive kits, you can switch to it at the track...just swap to a shorter belt and change the pulley at the track. The moroso water pump drive will not keep cool on the street.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/26/14 04:33 PM

One thing you guys have missed is the altitude. DA of 4500 feet cuts power by maybe 15%.
Tucson is altitude 2600 feet, plus a hot day???

A few years ago I ventured to Phoenix in the summer, truck was jetted for 5000 ft. I was expecting lean surging, etc. But it ran normally. The only reason I can think of is the air was not dense because of the temperature.

I prescribe compression and if possible a better combustion chamber. I also think the cam is too big, kills bottom end, and the heads are too small, kills the top end.

But what do I know? Try advancing the cam first, see if you can get a better 60'.

R.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/26/14 04:44 PM

JMO but I think the heads are the choke BUT the valve
springs might be weak and cause the upper RPM issue

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/26/14 04:57 PM

Quote:

Regarding compression, I know it's holding me back a good amount.

Cutting mine down does seem tempting though as does advancing the cam. I've contemplated advancing the cam, even considered swapping rocker arms to 1.6's. Again, these are substantially cheaper projects and involve modifying or changing parts I already have so perhaps that adds appeal.

No reason to rebuild, cutting them down is easy to gain comp.

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/26/14 06:26 PM

Quote:

I'm not asking you to bite anything. It's obvious the car needs more low end and more rpm. Do you already have a smaller cam? If not, that will cost you money. Correcting the valvetrain will depend on how it's done. What other rockers do you have?
Out of all the advice given, you want a guarantee from me. Sounds like you think I know something. How's this, I guarantee it's wrong and I guarantee my solution will make it right. The rest is up to you.

Just to clarify, I was surprised by your assessment on the valvetrain instability. With a block and heads that have not been cut, in general a low lift cam, no details on brand of rocker arms, valve stem height, etc, you felt that the valvetrain geometry was an issue. I'm not saying it's perfect or that its wrong and I will certainly look into it. I just thought that was an odd assessment, not to discredit it.

I know you've discussed your correction kits in the past with others and from your ad as well as posts, stand firmly behind them. I will certainly give you a call if upon inspection the geometry seems incorrect.

One last question for you. When you say "Valvetrain instability" is a problem in my application, are you suggesting that I am not getting full lift from my cam and that's hindering performance or that I am putting excessive thrust on one side of my valve guides and causing a bind/ excessive drag? I assume both. However, if in your opinion the cam is already oversized which I partially agree with, I would see no benefit from the added lift and only gains from the reduced thrust at the guide? Thoughts?

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/26/14 07:03 PM

Trent,
Please don't misunderstand. I wasn't bashing your car when I said it was wrong. I've seen too many of these combinations to just know when I see them.
I'll make you a deal. I have never done this before and will likely never do it again. I'll send you a kit and you buy the pushrods. That way we both have skin in the game. If the rpm issue is corrected, you purchase the kit. If it doesn't fix it, send back the kit and the purhrods with the receipt, and I'll pay for them and the shipping. You lose nothing.
That's a guarantee you can't beat. Then we will work on the cam.
Your thoughts?

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/26/14 09:06 PM

Quote:

Trent,
Please don't misunderstand. I wasn't bashing your car when I said it was wrong. I've seen too many of these combinations to just know when I see them.
I'll make you a deal. I have never done this before and will likely never do it again. I'll send you a kit and you buy the pushrods. That way we both have skin in the game. If the rpm issue is corrected, you purchase the kit. If it doesn't fix it, send back the kit and the purhrods with the receipt, and I'll pay for them and the shipping. You lose nothing.
Your thoughts?

Where can one find info on this KIT ?? I will admit that I haven't been paying attention ...

Edit ... nevermind , I found the thread(s)

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/26/14 09:46 PM

That is a nice offer there Mike, and I think Trent should except it.

But Trent that still wont get you into the 11,s You will need the extra compression as well. Mike didnt say it would either, just that it might solve your RPM issue of 5800 rpms.

Further I disagree with Mike that your engine rpm shift point should be a 1000 rpm more then your 5800 RPM. It should be more like 6200 with a 6400 across the line rpm max, not the 6800 that Mike suggests.

But, nice offer by Mike, and I hope you take him up on it.
Posted By: Paul_Fancsali

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/26/14 09:47 PM

One thing that car weigh's at least 3950 not 3750 unless you removed the bumper beams etc. Cat scales told me that twice on my small block 73 with headers alum intake Remove the hood inserts all together and open the access panels on inner fender wells for alignment purposes they can and will flow air then In winter I have to run a educated air cleaner with heat. Also on cheap work on the ignition timing advance and try running both open and 4 hole spacers hopefully you will get another tenth or more out of these changes I got .3 Good luck

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/26/14 10:47 PM

Thanks Sport,
You're right, I didn't say it would get him into the 11's. That's why I said we would address the cam after getting the valvetrain stabilized. Most et is gained the first half of the track, so he needs to pick up the bottom end for that.
He suggested a shift point of 5600/5800. I said 1000 rpm higher because his peak power should be somewhere around where he is shifting now. Best et's are found 800 to 1000 rpm above peak power. Obviously, that is a generality, but it should be close.
FWIW, I hope Trent takes me up on it, too.

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/27/14 12:31 AM

Quote:

Trent,
Your thoughts?

Ok, here is where I am on this.

1.) I'm assuming we are going to determine the success of this based upon the following. If the car runs the same E.T or better shifting at 6000RPM or more(you tell me), as it does shifting at 5600/5800 as previously tested, we call it an improvement? If E.T drops off as previously discussed, we call it a fail?

2.) I'll pay you half the cost of your kit up front. If the kit is successful, I'll pay you the other half and sing your praises to anyone who will listen. If the kit doesn't improve the RPM issue, I'll eat the cost of the pushrods and the half I already paid you and we call it a wash and discuss our next approach.

3.) Just for clarification, am I going to need cut to fit pushrods or what length? Also, are there any issues regarding valve cover clearances I need to be concerned with when using your kit?

I want to be fair with you. You tell me what works for you.
Posted By: clonestocker

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/27/14 12:45 AM

Trent,

Your pretty scienced out on your car. Has your Dad thrown any input at it. PM me your #. We'll chat a bit. I'm curious as to what might be left to be adjusted. matt

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/27/14 01:16 AM

Its kinda funny that I've raced small and big block Mopars for 40 years and NEVER had valve train issues and had to rely on hookas pokas to solve these issues. But then again when I set up rockers on ANY application I spend hours filing, fitting, shiming, and when done EVERYTHING is scribed for position. That way if i ever have to remove something in a hurry at the track everything has its proper position. Every hold-down and every rocker goes exactly in its proper spot anytime they are removed.

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/27/14 01:35 AM

Trent,
I appreciate your concern about being fair with me. That says a lot about your character. The reason I made my offer is because I understand you are a bit skeptical and conversely, I am that confident in the end result. I've already seen those results in dyno and track testing in combinations similar to yours.
I would rather be paid for the kit all at once, just from a paperwork perspective, so why don't you wait till after you try it. As far as the pushrods go, I am ok with whatever you want to do but stand behind my original offer.
The success will be considered increased rpm and no loss of performance. Anything else is a fail. It needs to be an apples to apples comparison, so making passes without the kit and then switching to the kit with the same conditions.
You will need custom length pushrods to fit properly. If you have a favored vendor, go with them, or I can supply them for you. I also have length checking pushrods available.

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/27/14 01:41 AM

Hocus Pocus won't show up on dyno or track testing. For every Mopar racer who never had valvetrain issues, there are 50 who have. I run into several every time I go to the track.

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/27/14 02:25 AM

Quote:

Hocus Pocus won't show up on dyno or track testing. For every Mopar racer who never had valvetrain issues, there are 50 who have. I run into several every time I go to the track.

Most of its because people unwrap things and bolt them on. If you don't have adjustable pushrod checkers in your engine build box your starting off with 2 strikes against you from day one.

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/27/14 02:55 AM

Agreed. So since that is part of what I am addressing, I guess your saying what I do isn't Hocus Pocus after all. Thanks for the affirmation and your support.

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/27/14 03:22 AM

Would you expect to see a gain in E.T in my application or not until additional components have been installed or replaced?

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/27/14 03:51 AM

Trent,
You should see an et gain simply because of the ability to shift at a higher rpm. As I mentioned to Sport440, the best et's are found at 800 to 1000 rpm above peak power in most cases and you are nowhere near that. I figure you should be able to shift at 6500 to start and work your way up until it slows down. I would do a "before and after" at 6000 just to get a true comparison without pushing the motor too far into valve float without the kit.

BTW, PM sent.

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/27/14 04:06 AM

Quote:

Also, are there any issues regarding valve cover clearances I need to be concerned with when using your kit?

Sorry I forgot to answer this. If you are using anything but stock height valve covers, you should be fine, but clearances are something that should always be checked anyway.

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/27/14 04:32 AM

Quote:

Trent,
You should see an et gain simply because of the ability to shift at a higher rpm. As I mentioned to Sport440, the best et's are found at 800 to 1000 rpm above peak power in most cases and you are nowhere near that. I figure you should be able to shift at 6500 to start and work your way up until it slows down. I would do a "before and after" at 6000 just to get a true comparison without pushing the motor too far into valve float without the kit.

BTW, PM sent.

800 to 1000 is not necessary on a 440. The torque peak is too low. They are a grunt motor, and revving them higher doesn't net much result with a stock intake port. I do agree that he could shift a bit higher though. But definitely not 1000 higher.

I disagree that he needs a smaller camshaft. He wants to go faster. He needs more compression and head flow. A smaller camshaft is the wrong direction.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/27/14 04:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Also, are there any issues regarding valve cover clearances I need to be concerned with when using your kit?

Sorry I forgot to answer this. If you are using anything but stock height valve covers, you should be fine, but clearances are something that should always be checked anyway.

If need be.. stack up 2 gaskets

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/27/14 04:55 AM

B3RE,
Please shed some light on what you think is wrong with the valve train, and why you think he would need pushrods?
Posted By: forphorty

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/27/14 05:57 AM

Question: Can a 440 with stock cast pistons turn 6500-6800 on a regular basis with reliability? I believe I would be a bit nervous.

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/27/14 08:27 AM

Quote:

JMO but I think the heads are the choke BUT the valve
springs might be weak and cause the upper RPM issue

The springs are fairly new. They may have 50 passes on them at most. If my memory is correct, at 1.9" installed height they were showing around 180lbs closed and 420lbs open. This was per my machinist. As such, he installed offset keepers to reduce spring pressure slightly. I figured I would check them after a break in period to re-evaluate the necessity of offset keepers.

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/27/14 08:52 AM

Quote:

I would also not use the 4.88 gears or the tunnelram. The tunnelram would probably run good, but that's not the "look" you're after. Like you mentioned, I'm also not a fan of slow "racecars".

The exhaust will benefit from a crossover...X pipe makes more power than an H, if you don't mind the sound of an X pipe. Either one will be better than true duals.

I don't argue that a straight through muffler flows better than a flowmaster, but on this combo I don't think they'll make much difference. I ran an old pair of 3" 2 chamber flowmasters on my car when it was running mid 11s...made no difference w/ or w/o them.
If your flowmasters are the bigger 3 chambers, then scrap them and get some straight through mufflers like a Dynomax ultraflow or Hooker max flow.

A properly tuned bigger carb will definitely help. 440's love cfm...put an 830, 850, or even a 950 double pumper on it.

You could always throw some .020" thick steel shim head gaskets on it to gain some compression quickly and easily. Cheap too. Of course it wouldn't cost much to have another .020" or .030" shaved off the heads while you have them off.

It would probably like a looser converter too. You can have your current converter loosened up by any of the good converter companies.

In my experience, the electric water pump will be worth nearly a whole tenth in the 1/4 by itself.
On my car, I dropped a little over a tenth by eliminating the big clutch fan...still had the mechanical water pump.
If you get one of the moroso water pump drive kits, you can switch to it at the track...just swap to a shorter belt and change the pulley at the track. The moroso water pump drive will not keep cool on the street.

Just to touch on this.

My Flowmasters are the 2 Chambers as I recall. It was years ago that I purchased them but I'm 95% certain of this.

I already have the steel head gaskets. I am not entirely opposed to cutting my current heads though. Just haven't committed yet.

I will without a doubt try the 850 once more. Not necessarily the same 850 though.

The Street Dominator will be going back on. It was the better performing intake in this application.

I also will be installing the electric water pump (Direct Drive). If nothing else is gained but ease of cool down in between runs, it will still be worth it.

As far as converter replacement, I've got mixed feelings. I would hate to lose street driveability. It's marginally obnoxious now with the 3500 stall and 4:56 gears.

4:88's are on the fence still. Once I get my motor to rev past 6000 without slowing down it may seem more tempting. I was pretty interested in a low gear set for the 727 as an alternative as Cab mentioned, then I priced them out.

Anyhow, Thanks again everyone! I really appreciate the help and input you offer.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/27/14 12:36 PM

[

If you have access to a leak down tester, it would be great to see just what you are working with for ring seal and running compression. I agree that your best bet is to go with one of the better short blocks you currently have if you don't want to spend much money at this point on fixing this short block. Higher compression along with advancing the cam may show the results you want. You need all the extra torque you can build into this thing because your converter is fairly low stall and the car is very heavy. The gears are already plenty steep, and a 4.30 or even 4.10 might work as well with the right converter stall. At the worst, once the converter is stalling enough to get the car moving, the gains or losses from a gear change go way down. I would shoot for 6200 max rpm in the lights.

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/27/14 12:40 PM

You have a good combo in my honest opinion. You just need more power. my vote is to leave everything else alone and focus on adding compression. It adds power across the entire rpm range and will compliment your current cam.
That will be by far your best bang imo.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/27/14 02:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Just to touch on this.

My Flowmasters are the 2 Chambers as I recall. It was years ago that I purchased them but I'm 95% certain of this.

I already have the steel head gaskets. I am not entirely opposed to cutting my current heads though. Just haven't committed yet.

I will without a doubt try the 850 once more. Not necessarily the same 850 though.

The Street Dominator will be going back on. It was the better performing intake in this application.

I also will be installing the electric water pump (Direct Drive). If nothing else is gained but ease of cool down in between runs, it will still be worth it.

As far as converter replacement, I've got mixed feelings. I would hate to lose street driveability. It's marginally obnoxious now with the 3500 stall and 4:56 gears.

4:88's are on the fence still. Once I get my motor to rev past 6000 without slowing down it may seem more tempting. I was pretty interested in a low gear set for the 727 as an alternative as Cab mentioned, then I priced them out.

Anyhow, Thanks again everyone! I really appreciate the help and input you offer.

I didn't say converter replacement, just readjust what you have. If a good converter company gets ahold of your converter, it won't be any worse on the street at all...as long as what you currently have has the ability to be adjusted accordingly. I have a 5,000 stall in mine and it drives great on the street...people have ridden in it and commented on how good this converter drives on the street. GOOD converters don't slip a lot on the street.
W/ that said, the converter would probably the last thing I made any changes to right now w/ your combo. Add some more power first, then loosen the converter later on.
There's no reason that combo needs 4.88 gears in my opinion and you don't need to spin it any higher than about 6200 rpm.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/27/14 03:50 PM

I agree on the last two suggestions of leaving the gears alone..... only guys I know that are running 4.8 and higher would be stock eliminator racers trying to wring every "n'th" out of their combo. My old stroked RB actually ran faster with 4.10s over 4.56 gears. Build torque and they'll do just fine. I know it's "out of bounds".... but a 4" stroke 498 combo would be perfect for that heavy car.... As Greg said, lets get some compression numbers and leakdown numbers and see what the general health of the short block is.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/27/14 06:03 PM

I think you're doing pretty good for stock heads, that corrects to about an 11.75 @ 112. I'd say anything else to be had is in your jetting, and if you want to go faster its in your heads.

How stock are the heads outside of the valves? You can't get it to wind up any higher because of the heads.
Posted By: 67Satty

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/27/14 06:30 PM

I'm in a similar spot as you. Running almost the same 60 foot and 1/8 mile times but with 3.91s and a little smaller cam and stock 452s. My DA is a little better but not much and my car probably weighs a little less.

I think the best bang-for-your-buck for guys like us is to ditch the factory iron and get some aluminum heads. 50 pounds less weight on the front end, higher compression, better flow, and better combustion chamber design.

You could spend the money on porting your 906s but you'd lose the weight loss, compression, and combustion chamber advantage.
Posted By: 68cuda440

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/28/14 04:06 AM

Quote:

I also tried a Holley 850 in place of my 750 Silver Claw and the car slowed down if you can believe that. I still don't quite understand that.

850 Holley, unmodified will flow about 850 wet. A 750 Silver Claw will flow about 900 wet and have a better fuel curve. I ran a 750 Silver Claw on my 440 w/ a small solid cam, lightly ported iron heads, and an Edelbrock Performer RPM. It was super crisp. I ran a wide band O2 and a data logger. I was able to adjust it to get me almost ideal AFR for idle, cruise, part and full throttle with very little effort.

-Michael

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/28/14 09:09 PM

Yeah, I've heard the old "Mopars don't like to rev" argument before, but I ain't buying it. Also, bigger doesn't mean faster. Faster doesn't mean quicker. 11.99 is QUICKER than 12.30.

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/28/14 09:17 PM

If you haven't read my posts on valvetrain geometry, start there. It will explain a lot and if you still have questions I will be happy to answer them.

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/28/14 09:20 PM

Quote:

Question: Can a 440 with stock cast pistons turn 6500-6800 on a regular basis with reliability? I believe I would be a bit nervous.

It would make me nervous, too. Trust me, the end game is not to have this motor turning that much rpm.

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/28/14 09:23 PM

Quote:

If you haven't read my posts on valvetrain geometry, start there. It will explain a lot and if you still have questions I will be happy to answer them.

you post a link?

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/28/14 09:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I also tried a Holley 850 in place of my 750 Silver Claw and the car slowed down if you can believe that. I still don't quite understand that.

850 Holley, unmodified will flow about 850 wet. A 750 Silver Claw will flow about 900 wet and have a better fuel curve. I ran a 750 Silver Claw on my 440 w/ a small solid cam, lightly ported iron heads, and an Edelbrock Performer RPM. It was super crisp. I ran a wide band O2 and a data logger. I was able to adjust it to get me almost ideal AFR for idle, cruise, part and full throttle with very little effort.

-Michael

This sounds like a nice street combo. Do you have any more details or drag strip results to share?

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/28/14 09:31 PM

It's a PITA on my phone. You can do a user search for B3RE for the last year and it should all come up.

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/28/14 09:32 PM

Quote:

It's a PITA on my phone. You can do a user search for B3RE for the last year and it should all come up.

or just click your user name then click to show all posts by you ...
Posted By: PorkyPig

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/28/14 09:43 PM

This thread reminds me of the old saying: "A camel is a horse built by committee."

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/28/14 09:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

or just click your user name then click to show all posts by you ...

Thanks John!

Re: Opinions wanted, what would you change? Budget Build... - 08/28/14 10:44 PM

Quote:

This thread reminds me of the old saying: "A camel is a horse built by committee."

© 2024 Moparts Forums