Moparts

Indy Head/Valley cover question??

Posted By: 1974 474 Duster

Indy Head/Valley cover question?? - 08/16/14 06:51 PM

I know a lot of people are at the Curt George race, but here it goes. Putting new Indy 44-1 heads on my short block. The question is pretty simple and seems obvious. Do you just run a bead of rtv down the valley pan rails to seal to the bottom of each head?? Looks quite simple, just seeing what others have done and/or do here. Let me know please. Want to get some more done today.
Thanks, Ken
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Indy Head/Valley cover question?? - 08/16/14 07:00 PM

Yes a bead of silicone is all you need.
Posted By: Dads426

Re: Indy Head/Valley cover question?? - 08/16/14 09:07 PM

On some of the valley covers they will only go on with the heads off. Test fit the cover with heads on and trim the sharp edge with a wood joiner, file, etc., until you can slip one side under the head and then drop the other down. Slide it to the center and fill the gaps with silicone (as well as the ends). On one cover I had to just trim the knife edge and on another I had to cut the bevel edge as well.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Indy Head/Valley cover question?? - 08/16/14 11:15 PM

Indy "finishes" the edge on a belt sander and to no spec at all--it is common to see one that will hold the head off the block--check fit to make sure that more material does not need to come off the edge--we like a bead of Ultra Grey as it is one of the most oil resistent types of RTV and does not stand out color wise on the aluminum--wipe a finger down through the seam after and it gives a very neat look to the workmanship--don't use too big a bead--keep it neat.

Re: Indy Head/Valley cover question?? - 08/16/14 11:27 PM

Thanks guys, got a can of "The Right Stuff" & sealed the edges. Worked great! Thanks for the input
Ken

Re: Indy Head/Valley cover question?? - 08/16/14 11:51 PM

Making progress. Finish up the rockers tomorrow. Looking good so far!!

Attached picture 8242381-10449479_681367191946679_8370637118599661967_n.jpg
Posted By: therocks

Re: Indy Head/Valley cover question?? - 08/17/14 02:47 AM

1974 there was a hot dog shop in Rochester that had the best chili dogs.Is it still downtown?My buddy was from Zelipinople and he brought me there a few times.They had a line outside waiting for dogs.Rocky

Re: Indy Head/Valley cover question?? - 08/17/14 04:07 PM

Rocky, Yeah Brighton Hot Dog Shop is still here. Made several other locations now as well, franchised out.
See ya, Ken
Posted By: 67mprfan

Re: Indy Head/Valley cover question?? - 08/17/14 04:25 PM

I had to use paper gasket between the head and valley plate and a bead of goop
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: Indy Head/Valley cover question?? - 08/17/14 09:09 PM

The plate is made for 10.72 or an R engine d/h. If you deck surface machining, square decking or any other mods of the sort, then the plate issue would need to be addressed. If you have a factory block and are assuming it is at correct deck height and just assemble and run, your issues can compound and take its toll on final assembly. Just like paper intake gaskets are put in the kits to allow propper height spacing when the heads are decked. Oblonging intake bolt holes can rob power. I have seen some machine shops deck a block and not cut the end rails down to match.
Posted By: racerx

Re: Indy Head/Valley cover question?? - 08/17/14 09:33 PM

Also I was told that stuff(right stuff) can be tuff when pulling intakes.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Indy Head/Valley cover question?? - 08/17/14 09:42 PM

I had to take a small high spot off the front of the Mega block, but I can slide the valley plate out the front if I need to.
© 2024 Moparts Forums