Moparts

Hemi intake bolts keep coming loose

Posted By: hemi-itis

Hemi intake bolts keep coming loose - 08/10/14 10:17 PM

I need to figure out how to seal & secure the intake fasteners on my BDS intake.Last time I removed the blower,not only were they loose,but oil was pushing up the bolt threads and pooling on top of the intake.
I am buying a winch that's on sale at Harbor Freight so I can remove the blower without having 3 or 4 guys come over to help me get it off.The blower has to come off to access the intake bolts. ANY suggestions??????????????????

Attached picture 8235770-4.10.13025.jpg
Posted By: DaveDudek

Re: Hemi intake bolts keep coming loose - 08/10/14 10:51 PM

Mr.Gasket intake gaskets? Thick ones?
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Hemi intake bolts keep coming loose - 08/10/14 11:17 PM

I'll see how the O-rings work on mine shortly.

Sheldon
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Hemi intake bolts keep coming loose - 08/10/14 11:47 PM

permatex thread sealer.

Mark
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Hemi intake bolts keep coming loose - 08/10/14 11:57 PM

Do you have Super Performance intake gaskets? I just bought a couple sets and they torqued down and stayed down after going around them 4-5 times. Dave

Re: Hemi intake bolts keep coming loose - 08/11/14 12:29 AM

Quote:

permatex thread sealer.

Mark

That's what I used last go round,the white teflon

Re: Hemi intake bolts keep coming loose - 08/11/14 12:31 AM

Quote:

Mr.Gasket intake gaskets? Thick ones?

I think they were Felpro, CRS

Re: Hemi intake bolts keep coming loose - 08/11/14 12:32 AM

Quote:

Do you have Super Performance intake gaskets? I just bought a couple sets and they torqued down and stayed down after going around them 4-5 times. Dave

What are you using on the threads of the bolts??
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Hemi intake bolts keep coming loose - 08/11/14 12:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

permatex thread sealer.

Mark

That's what I used last go round,the white teflon

Teflon is a lubricant you dont want that to hold things
tight unless there is friction like a NPT
Posted By: 3ddart

Re: Hemi intake bolts keep coming loose - 08/11/14 12:38 AM

I worried about that with my crossram, but my machinist told me to silicone the upper part of the bolts before putting them in ( not the threads) per info from Barton. I use the right stuff which is a silicone adhesive. I pull the tops off every spring and check them and if the fuel has compromised the silicone I redo the 1s that need it.

Re: Hemi intake bolts keep coming loose - 08/11/14 12:43 AM

Mr P, I used that to try and keep the oil from getting pushed up the threads

3D,did you also use a thread locker??

Re: Hemi intake bolts keep coming loose - 08/11/14 02:05 AM

No thread locker. Torque the bolts several times before the silicone sets up to get things close. The adhesive property of it will keep the bolts from backing out until fuel compromises the silicone, yet because the silicone gives some you can continue to retorque the bolts several times. I usually redo the torque setting 5 or 6 times letting it set a hour in between, I was told because of it being so low ( inch pounds), as the intake settles it sinks into the heads and needs to be retorqued. The shop glues the gasket to the heads with pilabon construction glue then lightly coats the exposed side with vasoline to help the intake settle in. Also superformance makes really nice intake gasket in .030, .047 and .060. Call Greg and he will take care of you, a super nice guy. I used his intakes a month ago after a couple of carb backfires compromised the cometic skeleton style I had used a couple of years ago. This is what has worked for me and I put about 1500 miles on the car last summer and 500 so far this year. Had it at carlisle last yr and I saw your car at the moparts tent but no one was around. Also know a guy that was loctiteing his torq converter bolts and they kept backing out so he did the silicone trick and that took care of it. He did use locker also on those bolts through. Good luck with it

Re: Hemi intake bolts keep coming loose - 08/11/14 04:48 AM

Thanks 3D, sorry I missed ya at the tent
Harbor Freight has a 2500lb electric winch with remote for $50.00,Then I won't need 4 guys to get the blower off
It has to come off to get to the intake bolts

Attached picture 8236189-7.15.14016.jpg
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Hemi intake bolts keep coming loose - 08/11/14 05:15 AM

It does that if you tighten it after the rtv sets up....Use less of it, or go to a thinner glue. I use a dab of emblem adhesive in each corner. RTV will remain spongey after it cures and you will never get the intake tight.
Posted By: prochargedhemi

Re: Hemi intake bolts keep coming loose - 08/11/14 11:46 AM

i always wrap the bolt and especially the washer with silicone (per barton) i go around the intake until there is no more movement from the bolt. never had any issues and 8 yrs later i still check from time to time and never back off or anything.

Re: Hemi intake bolts keep coming loose - 08/11/14 02:52 PM

I will also ad I have iron heads with an aluminum intake

Re: Hemi intake bolts keep coming loose - 08/11/14 05:10 PM

mine are alum hds and alum intake. fuel breaking down the silicone is the only real issue i've seen (and cleaning the holes out when you have to put new gaskets on for some reason) and with the crossram fuel laying in the plenum is a problem but i'm sure your aware of that. also by smearing the silicon on the bolt body it is probably an inch long area in the bolt hole so it takes some time to completely compromise the silicone
Posted By: 80fbody

Re: Hemi intake bolts keep coming loose - 08/11/14 05:56 PM

How about blue threadlocker on the threads & silicone above?

Re: Hemi intake bolts keep coming loose - 08/11/14 08:39 PM

Could be ok, I don't know. My concern would be the blue taking a set too quickly, I mentioned that I retorque numerous times, even waiting overnight sometimes. Also, mine is the only hemi I have built where as this shop has done many + Barton is who he got the info from, so I went with their advise. But as said, might work fine!
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Hemi intake bolts keep coming loose - 08/12/14 01:13 AM

That certainly is a lot of oil up in there hemi-itis

My recommendation for sealing the bolt threads would be Hylomar Universal Blue. Use sparingly, no need to coat the snot out of them and cause other issues like not getting a proper torque reading.
http://www.hylomarsealant.com/

Now when it comes to maintaining the bolt torque, gasket materials have a direct effect on clamp load longevity.
Soft highly conformable materials tend to loose bolt torque at a faster rate than a dense material. This is mainly due to resisting crush, thereby loading the fastener and maintaining the tension between the two components.
Just imagine if you were to put rubber washers behind your lug nuts what might happen

The other issue is the make up of the gasket material itself. There are a number of different fibers and chemical binders that are mixed together as a formula to create materials with different properties and specifications. All have their place but apparently the ones you have used should not be placed on your motor.

Gasket design can be another factor in aiding long term performance.
Using the Hemi as an example. Gaskets that come in the "Blue package" are profiled to match the cylinder head along the bottom profile. Many times this is done to keep or minimize the gasket materials exposure to engine oil and attempt to reduce wicking effects of the gasket material which in turn causes bolt torque loss.

Superformance takes a all hands on deck approach to the Hemi intake gasket with a Premium material that was developed to reduce fluid wicking over a long period of time and maintain bolt torque. Adding to that the gasket design has a full skirt across the bottom to help maintain structural integrity in the vulnerable area at the base of the port.

The 426 Hemi is a challenging motor on many levels so please don't overlook the importance of having the proper, matching angles top to bottom, front to back or you'll get some good use out of that new hoist
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Hemi intake bolts keep coming loose - 08/12/14 02:47 AM

Greg; It was nice to talk with you last week. Your gaskets came last Thursday and after torqueing the intake about 5 times it has taken a set. (The other gaskets took 10-12 retorquings).
Thank You! Dave
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Hemi intake bolts keep coming loose - 08/12/14 03:36 AM

Quote:

Greg; It was nice to talk with you last week. Your gaskets came last Thursday and after torqueing the intake about 5 times it has taken a set. (The other gaskets took 10-12 retorquings).
Thank You! Dave

Dave the pleasure was all mine!

I sure hope you were able to notice the quality difference in materials we use for our gaskets

I would also like to add some abbreviated installation techniques to aid with installation.
Assuming your all set to go, angles checked, surfaces clean and inspected, etc..

Determine weather you want the gasket attached to the intake or cylinder head.

Apply a coat of 3M Super 90 spray adhesive to the back side of gasket, A couple passes should be sufficient. Apply gasket to surface while wet and peel back off. Allow to tack up for 5-10 minutes then re apply the gasket to the surface for the final time. Be careful with alignment it sticks immediately

After spray adhesive has fully cured apply some white lithium grease to the opposing side of the gasket. This helps with the Hemi intake wedge itself into position while being torqued.

Apply a sparing amount of Hylomar Universal Blue to the bolt threads and follow normal torque procedures. Re-check torque until everything has settled and you should be good to go on the gaskets.

Re: Hemi intake bolts keep coming loose - 08/12/14 03:56 AM

Greg,
Thanks for stepping in how do I determine what thickness gasket I need? How do you seal the front & rear of the intake manifold??

Posted By: sogtx

Re: Hemi intake bolts keep coming loose - 08/26/14 03:28 AM

I know this / i just want to know if anyone else knows
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Hemi intake bolts keep coming loose - 08/26/14 05:53 AM

Quote:

How do you know exactly how many thousand thick he needs for his motor Or did you mean you know how to measure and determine exactly how thick of a gsket any Hemiriod motors needs based on measuring the intake to head mating surfaces on all four corners on both the top and bottom corners

Re: Hemi intake bolts keep coming loose - 08/27/14 06:19 AM

I picked up the 2500 lb winch at Harbor.After I get the winch mounted I will pull of the intake,and clean and measure everything. Then I choose one I want and figure which one I need.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Hemi intake bolts keep coming loose - 08/27/14 11:28 AM

Might want to consider "locking thread" fastners, they have a hard nylon insert that locks the bolt, and keeps it from loosening under vibration/load etc...McMaster Carr.com has many types to offer

Attached picture 8252870-Captureboltz.JPG
Posted By: sogtx

Re: Hemi intake bolts keep coming loose - 08/27/14 12:37 PM

Lol - i know its important to calculate !
Or try every thickness gasket til its stopped leakin !
Im Not smart or patient enuff for all that geometry measurements.. Guess i shoulda reworded it a little.

Quote:

Quote:

How do you know exactly how many thousand thick he needs for his motor Or did you mean you know how to measure and determine exactly how thick of a gsket any Hemiriod motors needs based on measuring the intake to head mating surfaces on all four corners on both the top and bottom corners

© 2024 Moparts Forums