Moparts

Cross Bolt Main Cap Install - Builder ?

Posted By: 440Jim

Cross Bolt Main Cap Install - Builder ? - 08/02/14 02:50 AM

How many engine builders use special tools, besides special care, when installing main caps on blocks with side bolts (hemi style)?
Like this Keith Black tool?

Attached picture 8227295-MainCap_installation_tool_KB.jpg
Posted By: rebel

Re: Cross Bolt Main Cap Install - Builder ? - 08/02/14 03:11 AM

i have a slide hammer to pull them off & a rubber mullet to put them on. thats being careful as it don't leave any marks. is this what you're meaning?
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Cross Bolt Main Cap Install - Builder ? - 08/02/14 03:58 AM

Can you explain why thats needed. Im assuming the device helps to center the cap as it was aligned honed. I take it the studs themselves and cap registers arent enough to do that with this setup?
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Cross Bolt Main Cap Install - Builder ? - 08/02/14 04:03 AM

On an aluminum block with billet steel caps, I could see where you might run into galling or shaving the block during install. Would suck to have some aluminum shavings between your caps and the block.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Cross Bolt Main Cap Install - Builder ? - 08/02/14 04:10 AM

I asked this same question to that jerk wad Russ @ Indy when he was at The MATS a few years back..

His answer: Yea, It's called a slide hammer and a rubber mallet..

Typical response from the jerk..

So we made our own puller, and use a plastic mallet with frozen caps with zip ties to hold the bearing in place until you can get a nut on the stud..

Not too bad when the caps are frozen..

I believe BigCube made his own press type installer..

Chris..
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Cross Bolt Main Cap Install - Builder ? - 08/02/14 04:20 AM

The only problem I see with that tool is it would have
clearance holes for the 3/8 bolts(looks to be 3/8) and
the way they bolt down on the bottom plate you can be
on a angle and be worse than just tapping the cap on
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: Cross Bolt Main Cap Install - Builder ? - 08/02/14 05:10 AM

I m de my own bridge. Bolts to the pan rails. I use a 1/4 threaded rod, a large washer and a nut, pulls the cap right up. I then bolt a harmonic balancer puller and use a small block of alum to prtectect the cap to push it down. It works very well. I'm sure it is similar to the tool Kbps sells, also I lube the sides of the caps to help them slide in, never put them in dry, no galling at all
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Cross Bolt Main Cap Install - Builder ? - 08/02/14 12:36 PM

Quote:

Can you explain why thats needed. Im assuming the device helps to center the cap as it was aligned honed. I take it the studs themselves and cap registers arent enough to do that with this setup?

That's the tool I made. Problem is KB mains press fit the whole side of the cap. First time you hit it with a hammer the bearing shell falls out. In the background of that pic you can see the bridge I made to pull the caps.

Re: Cross Bolt Main Cap Install - Builder ? - 08/02/14 12:45 PM

Quote:

The only problem I see with that tool is it would have
clearance holes for the 3/8 bolts(looks to be 3/8) and
the way they bolt down on the bottom plate you can be
on a angle and be worse than just tapping the cap on

The bolts that hold the top plate in place are the same length. The end of the bolts tighten up until they hit the pan rail assuring they are same height on both sides.

Re: Cross Bolt Main Cap Install - Builder ? - 08/02/14 03:42 PM

Quote:

So we made our own puller, and use a plastic mallet with frozen caps with zip ties to hold the bearing in place until you can get a nut on the stud..

Not too bad when the caps are frozen..

I believe BigCube made his own press type installer..

Chris..

Putting the main caps in the freezer the night before should help. I plan to make my own installer based on BigCube's picture. Swapping out the center screw with a length of threaded rod and a nut will make a nice remover, but I bet the old slide hammer works fine for removing them.

I just want to take great care with the ductile iron caps and the aluminum block with the KB fit.

Just a side note, the KB caps have 5/8" studs in the block that are stepped to 9/16" through the caps with a 5/8" part sticking into the cap slightly. What a difference compared to a factory BB cap (attached).

Attached picture 8227671-Main_Cap_compare_labels.jpg
Posted By: fbs63

Re: Cross Bolt Main Cap Install - Builder ? - 08/02/14 05:43 PM

Take the studs out and put long threaded rod in its place. Use fishing line or ribbon to tie the bearing in the cap. Nuts and washers on the threaded rod and evenly draw the caps down in place. Then remove the line or ribbon. Simple.

Re: Cross Bolt Main Cap Install - Builder ? - 08/03/14 04:44 AM

I finished my tools.
This attachment is the installer tool.

Attached picture 8228331-Main_Cap_install1.jpg

Re: Cross Bolt Main Cap Install - Builder ? - 08/03/14 04:46 AM

And swapping out the center screws with some threaded rod and a nut makes a nice removal tool. But I think a slide hammer does it just fine. But since mine reuses most of the installer tool, it was a simple improvement.

I do have my caps in the freezer for checking the main bearing clearance before assembly this coming week after work.

Attached picture 8228336-Main_Cap_removal.JPG

Re: Cross Bolt Main Cap Install - Builder ? - 08/03/14 01:25 PM

Nice job on the tool.
© 2024 Moparts Forums