Moparts

almost there E85

Posted By: Stroker Scamp

almost there E85 - 07/31/14 07:12 AM

finally made the change to E85, got the carb set up from AJ Casini. Will fire it tomorrow and see how it feels. Tired of spending $14 a gallon for VP C12.
Next drop the bullets and put the Dynomax mufflers on so its not too loud on the street

Attached picture 8225194-20140730_220130.jpg
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: almost there E85 - 07/31/14 04:17 PM

I think you're really going to like this switch. Should be even faster than on gas as well!
Posted By: dartman366

Re: almost there E85 - 07/31/14 06:48 PM

A.J did mine last year and I love it, car is more consistant and runs much cooler than before, to the point that I have troubles getting enough heat in it,but thats minor compared to the benefits.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: almost there E85 - 07/31/14 07:14 PM

Quote:

A.J did mine last year and I love it, car is more consistant and runs much cooler than before, to the point that I have troubles getting enough heat in it,but thats minor compared to the benefits.

If there`s E-85 in Vegas I just may consider the change since I can either do the mods myself or buy the billet blocks and go to town.......

Found several stations in Vegas so what about afr`s.............heard you run it a bit richer than gas.
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: almost there E85 - 07/31/14 07:46 PM

Quote:

If there`s E-85 in Vegas I just may consider the change since I can either do the mods myself or buy the billet blocks and go to town.......

Found several stations in Vegas so what about afr`s.............heard you run it a bit richer than gas.

The AFR on mine at WOT is between .77 and .82 lambda (depending on the ethanol content of the fuel). It seems to make good power around there.

Re: almost there E85 - 07/31/14 08:13 PM

So lambda is the gauge not afr`s?
Posted By: Dabee

Re: almost there E85 - 08/01/14 08:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The AFR on mine at WOT is between .77 and .82 lambda (depending on the ethanol content of the fuel). It seems to make good power around there.

I tune mine for between .80 - .85 lambda at the stripe. I have over 600 passes on it, it's never been apart and it still runs like the day I put it in the car.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: almost there E85 - 08/01/14 08:42 AM

Dom there is E85 available in Vegas at various local Rebel stations. We have the 65 on E85.
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: almost there E85 - 08/01/14 02:52 PM

Quote:

Lambda just refers to the stoichiometric coefficient for the air/fuel ratio.

1 lambda for gasoline = 14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel.
1 lambda for e85 = mixture is about 9.8 parts air to 1 part fuel.
1 lambda is 1 lambda, so by tuning for lambda you can ignore the actual AFR.

The gauge in your car doesn't know if you are running gasoline or e85, all it can see is the O2 content of the spent exhaust gasses. For example: My AFR gauge (in its regular setup for gasoline) might tell me that I have 12.0 AFR. To get to lambda you just divide your AFR by 14.7, so you get about 0.82 lambda. You could get the real AFR for e85 if you like by converting from lambda (multiply lambda (0.82) by 9.8 = 8.0)….but that would be a pain, and more confusing than helpful. I like to just use lambda for my tuning, and on my gauge I can just flip a switch to make it read out in lambda.

My car is happy between 0.77 and 0.82 lambda. Max power on the rich side for e85 = about 0.72 lambda. Max power on the lean side for e85 = about 0.86 lambda.

I hope that helps more than it confuses.
Posted By: 440W8 Duster

Re: almost there E85 - 08/01/14 02:58 PM

Quote:

For that I drilled a hole and tapped it for 3/8 pipe thread and put a ball valve so I can lean it out when I first started to get heat in it and close it when I get to my temp I want which was usually at 175*. I was good for the rest of the day and didn't use to much fuel to warm up.

Re: almost there E85 - 08/01/14 07:54 PM

Quote:

Dom there is E85 available in Vegas at various local Rebel stations. We have the 65 on E85.

I know and am considering the change just not 100% sure on the needed carb mods yet and wonder if my Magnafuel 300 pump will work..........totally new to me.

Re: almost there E85 - 08/01/14 07:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Lambda just refers to the stoichiometric coefficient for the air/fuel ratio.

1 lambda for gasoline = 14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel.
1 lambda for e85 = mixture is about 9.8 parts air to 1 part fuel.
1 lambda is 1 lambda, so by tuning for lambda you can ignore the actual AFR.

The gauge in your car doesn't know if you are running gasoline or e85, all it can see is the O2 content of the spent exhaust gasses. For example: My AFR gauge (in its regular setup for gasoline) might tell me that I have 12.0 AFR. To get to lambda you just divide your AFR by 14.7, so you get about 0.82 lambda. You could get the real AFR for e85 if you like by converting from lambda (multiply lambda (0.82) by 9.8 = 8.0)….but that would be a pain, and more confusing than helpful. I like to just use lambda for my tuning, and on my gauge I can just flip a switch to make it read out in lambda.

My car is happy between 0.77 and 0.82 lambda. Max power on the rich side for e85 = about 0.72 lambda. Max power on the lean side for e85 = about 0.86 lambda.

I hope that helps more than it confuses.

A little confusing but I get lost shaving so,.........So are you saying your wot afr is 12.0? I`d rather stick to afr`s since it took so damn long to get a handle on it...........
© 2024 Moparts Forums