Moparts

Omni GLH

Posted By: 2qik4u

Omni GLH - 07/28/14 04:57 AM

Anyone ever drive one down the 1/4 mile? Do they go?

- 2qik4u
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Omni GLH - 07/28/14 05:33 AM

They go like hell, that is what GLH stands for.
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Omni GLH - 07/28/14 06:29 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhmAp6kgI_0
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: Omni GLH - 07/28/14 02:16 PM

Boyd has about a million laps on that little Omni at Irwindale. Sure is fun to watch him pick on the Mustang guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e9XjOCL-cE

Re: Omni GLH - 07/28/14 03:20 PM

How about in stock form? I have an opportunity to pick one up, always though it would be a fun ride, don't expect it to hang with my roadrunner, but would like to be able to hang with stock 5.0's, new challengers & Camaros in stock form, etc...
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Omni GLH - 07/28/14 03:56 PM

Not sure it will keep up w/ a new 5.0 Mustang, but should w/ the old fox body unless the Fox body is modified. But you can do some upgrades yourself.
Posted By: Blues_Cuda

Re: Omni GLH - 07/28/14 06:31 PM

They are very fun cars to drive and handle very well, but don't expect them to be able to hang with any 'performance' car of the last several years when it comes to straight line stuff.

When stock, probably be lucky to hit the 15's. (I am speaking of a stock turbo GLH, not a GLHS.)
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Omni GLH - 07/28/14 08:18 PM

Well worth having, they are quite rare.

R.

Re: Omni GLH - 07/28/14 08:24 PM

Quote:

They are very fun cars to drive and handle very well, but don't expect them to be able to hang with any 'performance' car of the last several years when it comes to straight line stuff.

When stock, probably be lucky to hit the 15's. (I am speaking of a stock turbo GLH, not a GLHS.)

Thanks for the info. The one I'm looking at is a very nice original so I wouldn't want to modify it much if any. However, I'm not sure how much fun the car would be if it can't at least beat a stock 5.0 mustang or a 350 Camaro ON THE STREET (edit).
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: Omni GLH - 07/29/14 12:25 AM

If you are not familiar with the term "torque steer" you need to drive a Omni GLH, Shelby charger, or a srt4.

It is fun, but you have to learn what to expect. They are different to drive hard.
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Omni GLH - 07/29/14 02:44 AM

Is it a turbo? I had 2. One was a HP/carb engine (first year) and the next was a efi turbo. I had shelby chargers also, not as fast as the 4drs. Never had a glhs though.
The cars feel faster than they are because of the tq steer. I would get it if I were you.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Omni GLH - 07/29/14 02:57 AM

We use to put a air bleed on the line for the waste
gate to kick it up some.. the O2 can drive the fuel
up about 12% to stay with the added boost
Posted By: Triggerfish

Re: Omni GLH - 07/29/14 04:10 AM

Quote:

If you are not familiar with the term "torque steer" you need to drive a Omni GLH, Shelby charger, or a srt4.

It is fun, but you have to learn what to expect. They are different to drive hard.

Very true.. I had Shelby CSX (Shadow) with a 2.2 Mitsu turbo motor &
it hauled butt in stock form & with some more boost & mods, they could hang with 5.0 mustangs in a street race. Lots of torque steer with the FWD & turbo power. GLH had the 2.2 with 175 hp & torque and the Shadow had a bit more torque at 205 lbss. I do remember the shift linkage was the pits & it had a little turbo lag, but when it kicked in, the CSX was a pocket rocket.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Omni GLH - 07/29/14 05:36 AM

It seems to me either Road and Track or Car and Driver did an article when that car first came out. They were at a bigtime road course with the Shelby GLH and a 350 GT R Mustang.

There were editors from all the major mags laughing it up about what a joke is was running this 4 door tape striped econobox against a "real" Shelby car.

They weren't laughing when the econbox beat the "real" one into turn 1 and proceeded to put a lap on it...

They did it again only this time at a 30 MPH rolling start so as not to beat on a $$$$ Mustang with the drag race standing start. GLH caught the 350 before the end of the second lap and proceeded to put a lap on it again.

I have been a big fan ever since.

Kevin

Re: Omni GLH - 07/29/14 05:37 AM

How hard to put a turbo glh into to 14's? How about 13's? If it's fairly simple to go low 14's or high 13's this could be a riot around town!
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Omni GLH - 07/29/14 05:41 AM

Quote:

How hard to put a glh into to 14's? How about 13's? If it's fairly simple to go low 14's or high 13's this could be a riot around town!

Its not all that hard but the weak link is the half
shafts... sticky tires and your there.. but you better
get ready to buy a pair of half shafts
Posted By: Otherlane

Re: Omni GLH - 07/29/14 01:07 PM

I think turbododge.com is where you might want to look for these cars. I was looking too buy a turbo FWD car and they are a lot for sale on there. Parts also! Someone has a 33,000 mile glhs on the site for $17,500
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Omni GLH - 07/29/14 01:27 PM

I had problems with the trans, in two of them I split second gear and it went through the case. One turbo I and one turbo II.
Posted By: Slingshot383

Re: Omni GLH - 07/29/14 06:05 PM

There was lots of stuff for the 2.2's, a twin cam head, bigger turbo, different cams, bigger injectors. Real easy to make over 300 horses with them. Weak link was the manual trans and the half shafts.
Posted By: Dartthunder340

Re: Omni GLH - 07/29/14 10:01 PM

I have an '89 CSX and shelved my '65 Dart project to play around with the CSX instead. You will enjoy it and I would give serious thought to picking it up if I were you. I really enjoy mine and am looking forward to getting it back on the road to take the kid for a quick ice cream runs .
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Omni GLH - 07/30/14 07:44 AM

Quote:

Boyd has about a million laps on that little Omni at Irwindale. Sure is fun to watch him pick on the Mustang guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e9XjOCL-cE

I'm pretty sure I saw Boyd go in the 10's @ The MATS in that thing..

Saw him a few years ago in this ugly little Omni GLH and couldn't believe it was Boyd Gabel..

Last time I had seen him was in the early 80's with his awesomely beautiful white small block 66-67 box Nova.. (low 10's-high 9's) on a L60 McCreary..

He wanted "5 & the Scoot" from my Dart at that time..

Although my Dart went close to mid 9's at the time, I wasn't giving Boyd ANYTHING.. He was the King with street tires..

He also had a Vega with a small block with an 8" Caldwell tire on it that went deep into the 10's in the late 70's..

The guys in L.A. were so pissed about losing to it that they bought it from him..

Legend has it, they destroyed the car so no one could race it..

Don't know if it's true, but I never saw it again..

Ahhhhhh, the good old days..

Chris..
© 2024 Moparts Forums