Moparts

4-speed guys, did you hook up a switch to your pedal?

Posted By: WadeMetzinger

4-speed guys, did you hook up a switch to your pedal? - 07/25/14 05:36 AM

Trying to help a guy with a 4-speed car and wondering if you guys that race 4-speeds hook up a switch to your clutch pedal to activate the line lock and 2-step?

I'm thinking this would be how you staged and launched consistently???

Roll in, turn on the top bulb, creep in until you turn on the 2nd bulb, depress the clutch all the way to trigger the switch to activate the 2-step and line lock (mash the go pedal) and then when the 3rd yellow flashes, you side step the clutch with releases the line lock and motor goes wide open throttle and you get a view of the clouds...

I would also have a manual switch to activate the line lock for the burn out (may hook the hot directly and let either of the switched provide ground)

Or am I completely off track, if so let me know how you guys make it work? (keeping consistency in mind)
Posted By: toddd

Re: 4-speed guys, did you hook up a switch to your pedal? - 07/25/14 05:41 AM

I have a "trans brake" style button on my steering wheel for the line lock, and a switch on my pedal stop for my 2 step.
Posted By: 68shifter

Re: 4-speed guys, did you hook up a switch to your pedal? - 07/25/14 05:44 AM

Some use a switch off the clutch, some will put a micro on the shift lever so when your in first it's engaged. Either works.

I for a while just used used the line lock button on the shifter but the problem with that was I'd inadvertently hit it while shifting and pretty much turns on a rev limiter for whatever pill you have in your two step.

Here's a common clutch switch.
http://www.jerrybickel.com/electrical-components/clutch-operated-switch-jbrc5509.html
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: 4-speed guys, did you hook up a switch to your pedal? - 07/25/14 06:31 AM

I have the line lock and two-step wires into a button on the shifter right below the handle that I activate with my middle finger. The neutral safety switch is in place of the bump stop but I have been having issue finding a switch that can live when you side step the clutch. The way the stop on the clutch pedal arm comes down on that switch I might as well smash it with a hammer!

Funny this topic came up I went to pull my car in the shop after a little run and had to jumper the ground on the starer relay because the switch is mutilated again. Any suggestions on a tough switch that fits through that little hole?
Posted By: 68LAR

Re: 4-speed guys, did you hook up a switch to your pedal? - 07/25/14 02:52 PM

Mines in the Tee handle shifter. Home made 2 step that activates with a separate switch on the dash. When switched on, two step and line lock are activated when the button on the shifter is depressed. With the switch off, just the line lock works so a burn out can be done.
My son has his off of the clutch pedal. He's pretty consistent, but I can be too, if I concentrate!
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: 4-speed guys, did you hook up a switch to your pedal? - 07/25/14 03:39 PM

I have a switch on my pedal and shifter. The 2 step has to have BOTH pressed in for it to work. This way it does not get activated in the burnout box, or when changing gears.

Jeff
Posted By: AlexP

Re: 4-speed guys, did you hook up a switch to your pedal? - 07/25/14 05:13 PM

Can we see some pics? I wanted to ask about this also.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: 4-speed guys, did you hook up a switch to your pedal? - 07/25/14 05:18 PM

I have the 2 step wired thru a relay. The control circuit of the relay is a "latching relay" that is triggered by a momentary switch on the dash and released by a switch when the clutch pedal is released. The switch on the pedal does not release the 2 step until the pedal is all the way up. So when I am pre-staged, I hit the momentary switch to activate the 2 step. Then I can creep ahead to stage, without fully releasing the clutch pedal, so the pedal switch is not activated so the 2 step is still in play.
When I dump the clutch to launch, the pedal hits the switch and the latching relay is released, cancelling the 2 step until the momentary switch is pressed again while I am pre-staged on the next pass.

I like it because I don't have to think about it at launch, I don't have to involve my hand in the launch. Other than arming while pre-staged, it is all automatic.

A latching relay is no different than any other relay, it is only wired different.

the hot goes to a normally closed switch on the clutch pedal, that is opened when the pedal is fully released.
Posted By: SLOW67

Re: 4-speed guys, did you hook up a switch to your pedal? - 07/27/14 04:20 PM

Good info here! I've been wondering the same thing about my new 4 speed install since my car has the 2 step box still on it from the turbo motor.
Posted By: 6pak2go

Re: 4-speed guys, did you hook up a switch to your pedal? - 07/27/14 06:50 PM

I used a Radio Shack micro switch with a roller that contacts the clutch pedal near the pivot. Very little movement required and reacts fast. I used the MSD wiring schematic. Arm it with the clutch pedal down, release the shifter button. On launch, clutch releases the 2-step and the Line Lock at the same time.

Attached picture 8221186-Clutch2Step-LL.jpg
Posted By: 6pak2go

Re: 4-speed guys, did you hook up a switch to your pedal? - 07/27/14 06:52 PM

Here's the switch installed. The other side of the switch is used as a starting safety switch.

Attached picture 8221189-DSC07448.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums