Moparts

should i add the windage tray to my 340 stroker

Posted By: hp340nos

should i add the windage tray to my 340 stroker - 07/24/14 03:52 AM

i have my 340 stroker 418 cid tore down due to roller lifter problems,should i add the windage tray when i put it back together?i havent been using the windage tray,what benefits would i get from the tray?street/strip motor shifted at 6000 rpm.thanks mike
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: should i add the windage tray to my 340 stroker - 07/24/14 04:00 AM

A scraper is better
Posted By: Crizila

Re: should i add the windage tray to my 340 stroker - 07/24/14 04:19 AM

I went with the tray on my stroker. Matter of preference. If you are going with a relatively stock oiling system and 7 / 8 qt or oil pan, I'd go with the tray. JMO.

Attached picture 8217998-windsagetray2.jpg
Posted By: WadeMetzinger

Re: should i add the windage tray to my 340 stroker - 07/24/14 06:06 AM

I believe that Ryan, Shadydell, has done dyno testing and said it doesn't really have any benifits and doesn't recommend using a wind age tray on small blocks.

Re: should i add the windage tray to my 340 stroker - 07/24/14 03:57 PM

Quote:

I believe that Ryan, Shadydell, has done dyno testing and said it doesn't really have any benifits and doesn't recommend using a wind age tray on small blocks.

Doesn't address "slosh" and I wasn't overly enthusiastic about the baffling in my Milodon 8 qt pan.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: should i add the windage tray to my 340 stroker - 07/24/14 04:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Doesn't address "slosh" and I wasn't overly enthusiastic about the baffling in my Milodon 8 qt pan.

In the pan I built for the 416 I put 1 wall in it with
a one way door to keep the oil near the pick up and
I put a lip on the back wall to keep slosh off the
rear main... being that the pan will hold 10qts I
run it low on the stick(its 8 qts when its set to run)

Re: should i add the windage tray to my 340 stroker - 07/24/14 05:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

In the pan I built for the 416 I put 1 wall in it with
a one way door to keep the oil near the pick up and
I put a lip on the back wall to keep slosh off the
rear main... being that the pan will hold 10qts I
run it low on the stick(its 8 qts when its set to run)

Way to do it. If I did something like that I would probably go with w scraper also. I run 7 qts in my 8 qt pan.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: should i add the windage tray to my 340 stroker - 07/24/14 06:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I didn't know windage trays were used to control slosh ?
Posted By: dartman366

Re: should i add the windage tray to my 340 stroker - 07/24/14 07:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I didn't either, as far as a windage tray, don't waste your time If I were to do anything then put a scraper in it and don't look back.
Posted By: BobR

Re: should i add the windage tray to my 340 stroker - 07/24/14 07:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I didn't either, as far as a windage tray, don't waste your time If I were to do anything then put a scraper in it and don't look back.

I took mine off of my stocker and it went faster.
Posted By: 408Dust

Re: should i add the windage tray to my 340 stroker - 07/24/14 08:05 PM

I have one on the shelf you can have,don't bother picked up 9 hp on the dyno with it removed.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: should i add the windage tray to my 340 stroker - 07/24/14 09:07 PM

Quote:

I have one on the shelf you can have,don't bother picked up 9 hp on the dyno with it removed.

yep waste of time
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: should i add the windage tray to my 340 stroker - 07/25/14 05:23 AM

Quote:

A scraper is better

I've heard as much as 30 HP at or above 6000 RPM on both NHRA 340 and 360 stockers I make my own, fit it tight, .045 to .060 at room temperatures It helps free up HP and it keeps oil in the oil pan Make some slosh(acceleration) and anti slosh(deacceleration) baffles in your oil pan if you don't have them already

Re: should i add the windage tray to my 340 stroker - 07/25/14 03:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

A scraper is better

I've heard as much as 30 HP at or above 6000 RPM on both NHRA 340 and 360 stockers I make my own, fit it tight, .045 to .060 at room temperatures It helps free up HP and it keeps oil in the oil pan Make some slosh(acceleration) and anti slosh(deacceleration) baffles in your oil pan if you don't have them already

30HP!! Guess I will be taking mine out - when my 4 bolt main cap on a stock 360 block conversion fails.
© 2024 Moparts Forums