Moparts

Aluminum axle housing 9"

Posted By: Ck[FIN]

Aluminum axle housing 9" - 07/23/14 01:48 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141328571636

Anybody have experience with this? How much power it can handle?
I was thinking to upgrade my leaf spring 8 3/4 to 4-link 9" next winter and came up with this. Or should i still continue to search from racingjunk
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Aluminum axle housing 9" - 07/23/14 01:55 PM

Think I'd just go with a Fab 9 housing.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Aluminum axle housing 9" - 07/23/14 01:56 PM

Quote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141328571636

Anybody have experience with this? How much power it can handle?
I was thinking to upgrade my leaf spring 8 3/4 to 4-link 9" next winter and came up with this. Or should i still continue to search from racingjunk

I have a alum 9" here but I never put it in anything
so I cant say what this will take for power
EDIT
Mine is different from the one posted.. my axle tubes
arent bolt on.. mine are steel tubes that looked to
be pressed in with screws or bolts just into the tubes...
the ends are cut off on mine but it looks like I can
just weld ends on... the one thing I dont like about
the one shown OR mine is how to back brace it, with
steel tubes and a alum center... the best I can figure
out is to weld the brace to the tubes and bolt to the center
Posted By: jcc

Re: Aluminum axle housing 9" - 07/23/14 02:44 PM

That is very interesting. It looks to be a center casting, I when I opened the link thought I would find a welded fabricated item. To be clear, this is a 9" housing, not the center section. I wonder what the weight savings could be over say CM? It says 35% stronger? I give a for effort. If it is a casting likely will never see a similar alum 8.75 version, but they are hated around here anyway.
Posted By: Bruce

Re: Aluminum axle housing 9" - 07/23/14 03:12 PM

I did a search for the TDS housing and found a post on fordmuscleforums. The housing is sold through Procomp Electronics in the "Speedmaster" division. Here is a link to it.
http://store.speedmaster79.com/p-3860-ford-9-modular-differential-housing-section.aspx

Personally, I wouldn't buy it, since it is a casting for an area that gets high stress and it no doubt comes from China. Plus bolting on axles housings just gives you one more place for it to come apart and one more thing to check to be sure it isn't coming loose. It would probably work fine in a light weight roadster or something similar.
Just my
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Aluminum axle housing 9" - 07/23/14 03:59 PM

Although this isn't the same housing it is similar in design. The writer makes some good points of observation.
http://www.racingjunk.com/news/2014/05/01/star-wars-axle-housings-part-iv-aluminum-modular-housings/

I don't remember who made those early magnesium Dana 60 housings but I think if it was a sound design we would have seen more of them at the track
Gus

Attached picture 8217157-rearviewsavoy.jpg
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Aluminum axle housing 9" - 07/23/14 04:05 PM

Quote:

That is very interesting. It looks to be a center casting, I when I opened the link thought I would find a welded fabricated item. To be clear, this is a 9" housing, not the center section. I wonder what the weight savings could be over say CM? It says 35% stronger? I give a for effort. If it is a casting likely will never see a similar alum 8.75 version, but they are hated around here anyway.

I hear ya but they`re generally hated by those who can`t make em live or those who see faster guys that DO make em live...........
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: Aluminum axle housing 9" - 07/23/14 05:31 PM

Mr P it sounds like you have one of the Winters housing centers. I also have one that I'm working on. To add additional strength I designed my own brackets wherby I can add 1" tubing between the steel axle tubes both on the top and on the bottom. I haven't finished mine yet but I'm getting close. I'm just about ready to pull the axle tubes into the alum housing. I bought mine years ago but before I did I talked to several people who were using them in a drag car. One guy said he was using his behind a 950hp engine with no additional bracing and had no problem whatsoever. I put mopar ends on mine so I could reuse my rear brakes and my Strange 35 spline axles. Since my Ford spool had splines all the way through and my axles had long splined ends I did not have to buy new axles or have mine modified. I'm also using a Moser alum center section with a huge 10 bolt pinion support I found years ago. I'll probably never have more than 1000hp to work with. I'll probably have mine ready for next year.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Aluminum axle housing 9" - 07/23/14 05:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I hear ya but they`re generally hated by those who can`t make em live or those who see faster guys that DO make em live...........

Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Aluminum axle housing 9" - 07/23/14 05:51 PM

Nothing wrong with a properly braced and constructed alum housing. That is exactly what is under the fastest and baddest doorslammers on the planet...Pro-Mods. They all run Mark Williams modular alum housings..........Now that said, is the one in question comparable to a Mark Williams, hardly, but it could likely be made to work for many applications with properly braced tubes. But likely by the times you added the bracing and spent the time, you would be better off with a fabbed sheetmetal housing. This item strikes me as something that could be more "showy" or street rod designed, but appears to be primarily for circle track use

Monte
Posted By: Slingshot383

Re: Aluminum axle housing 9" - 07/23/14 06:07 PM

Strange Top Loaders are also aluminum rearends. Oh, but that's for dragsters, altereds, and funny cars.

Re: Aluminum axle housing 9" - 07/23/14 07:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why are you crazy quick? A few others and myself are living proof 8 3/4`s work well WHEN built properly.............nuff said homey...............
Posted By: GY3

Re: Aluminum axle housing 9" - 07/23/14 07:24 PM

Quote:

Strange Top Loaders are also aluminum rearends. Oh, but that's for dragsters, altereds, and funny cars.

Hmmmm,

Attached picture 8217336-IMG_20140723_122302.jpg

Re: Aluminum axle housing 9" - 07/23/14 07:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why are you crazy quick? A few others and myself are living proof 8 3/4`s work well WHEN built properly.............nuff said homey...............

when you get the street tires off, put a New set of real slicks on go to well prepped track and hook up you will then be living proof you have special 8-3/4 not before... And I was born

Re: Aluminum axle housing 9" - 07/23/14 07:46 PM

I still argue 1.36`s back to back at 3200 lbs. IS hooking and I`m on a 29x10.5 now so we`ll see AND you may be correct...........

Re: Aluminum axle housing 9" - 07/23/14 08:14 PM

Quote:

I still argue 1.36`s back to back at 3200 lbs. IS hooking and I`m on a 29x10.5 now so we`ll see AND you may be correct...........

i hope I am not, don't want to see you destroy your rear and tranny. If those slicks are used you may still ok, I was good up to a 11.5 slick. Then the carnage started.
Posted By: prochargedhemi

Re: Aluminum axle housing 9" - 07/23/14 08:16 PM

one good tire shake out of a decently horsepowered car and i have a feeling that housing will develop a few "leaks"
Posted By: jcc

Re: Aluminum axle housing 9" - 07/23/14 08:17 PM

I am not sure it makes sense comparing the dragster track width above with what the OP pictured example track width the car is likely to be.

The Op picture shows a casting center with bolt on flanged axle tubes, what are and why the extra two bolted upper gussets, are they solving an unexpected weakness, or are mounting location for attachments, or?

Re: Aluminum axle housing 9" - 07/23/14 09:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

i hope I am not, don't want to see you destroy your rear and tranny. If those slicks are used you may still ok, I was good up to a 11.5 slick. Then the carnage started.

I hear ya man and just like playing around and believe me, I don`t want to see it happen either............ I plan on an upgrade after my move and maybe 1 or 2 more passes.
Posted By: Ck[FIN]

Re: Aluminum axle housing 9" - 07/23/14 09:35 PM

Thanks for the replies. My 8 3/4 is not even backbraced and i have dozens of 9s runs, best so far 9.29s. I believe the 2850lbs weight and traction problems have saved the 8 3/4 so far. I hope it lives few more runs and then i can sell it to street use.

I`ll think i go with steel 9", it will be safer if i some day happen to have more power.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Aluminum axle housing 9" - 07/23/14 09:55 PM

Quote:

Mr P it sounds like you have one of the Winters housing centers. I also have one that I'm working on. To add additional strength I designed my own brackets wherby I can add 1" tubing between the steel axle tubes both on the top and on the bottom. I haven't finished mine yet but I'm getting close. I'm just about ready to pull the axle tubes into the alum housing. I bought mine years ago but before I did I talked to several people who were using them in a drag car. One guy said he was using his behind a 950hp engine with no additional bracing and had no problem whatsoever. I put mopar ends on mine so I could reuse my rear brakes and my Strange 35 spline axles. Since my Ford spool had splines all the way through and my axles had long splined ends I did not have to buy new axles or have mine modified. I'm also using a Moser alum center section with a huge 10 bolt pinion support I found years ago. I'll probably never have more than 1000hp to work with. I'll probably have mine ready for next year.

Yes it is a Winters unit.. I just looked at it in the
corner.. I dont have any plans for it right now but
I bought it cheap so it can sit there
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Aluminum axle housing 9" - 07/24/14 05:44 AM

China made, nuff said.
Posted By: dragram440

Re: Aluminum axle housing 9" - 07/24/14 03:16 PM

Quote:

China made, nuff said.

Probly made in China with u.s. steel.

Re: Aluminum axle housing 9" - 07/24/14 05:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

China made, nuff said.

Probly made in China with u.s. steel.

US scrap not US steel.and funny how you capitalized china and not U.S. MAYBE YOU SHOULD GO THERE
© 2024 Moparts Forums