Moparts

4.050 stroke crank for gen 3 hemi?

Posted By: onyxba

4.050 stroke crank for gen 3 hemi? - 07/22/14 04:18 PM

Who's crank would you recommend for use in a gen 3 hemi block? Had a compstar crank that broke in half and was told normal wear and tear by callies. They are willing to cut the price for an new crank but told me to expect same thing too happen. Vehicle had about 9000 miles on current engine and 485 rear wheel horsepower. Just don't want to have to redo engine every 9-10,000 miles. Thanks for any input. Brian Williams
Posted By: biff426

Re: 4.050 stroke crank for gen 3 hemi? - 07/22/14 06:27 PM

The Molner I put in mine looks really good time will tell it did need some heavy metal to balance it. I would buy another one.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: 4.050 stroke crank for gen 3 hemi? - 07/22/14 07:01 PM

I'm putting a Manley in mine. It looks like jewelry and all journals are gun drilled.
Posted By: AlexP

Re: 4.050 stroke crank for gen 3 hemi? - 07/22/14 08:38 PM

Quote:

Who's crank would you recommend for use in a gen 3 hemi block? Had a compstar crank that broke in half and was told normal wear and tear by callies. They are willing to cut the price for an new crank but told me to expect same thing too happen. Vehicle had about 9000 miles on current engine and 485 rear wheel horsepower. Just don't want to have to redo engine every 9-10,000 miles. Thanks for any input. Brian Williams

I had huge problems with Callies kits for the hemi in 2007-2009. It took so much heavy metal that it was disgraceful. They had terrible quality control, even their balanced kits needed work....

Molnar or Manley for sure.
Posted By: onyxba

Re: 4.050 stroke crank for gen 3 hemi? - 07/22/14 09:33 PM

Thanks for the info guy's. Talked to my customer and gave options and he decided to stick with the compstar crank due too price. Told him what callies said but he still wants too go with compstar. Time will tell wether its a bad idea are not. Still thanks for the input. Brian
Posted By: AlexP

Re: 4.050 stroke crank for gen 3 hemi? - 07/22/14 11:29 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info guy's. Talked to my customer and gave options and he decided to stick with the compstar crank due too price. Told him what callies said but he still wants too go with compstar. Time will tell wether its a bad idea are not. Still thanks for the input. Brian

He may spend more in balancing than the difference in price. This is a fact.
© 2024 Moparts Forums