Moparts

Spark plug wire recommendation

Posted By: birdtracker

Spark plug wire recommendation - 07/22/14 04:40 AM

Its time to buy new wires for the race car. Its a 440 with 90 degree boots on both ends.MSD 6AL box. Am looking for a MSD part number or Firecore or ? thanks. Birdtracker
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Spark plug wire recommendation - 07/22/14 04:55 AM

FIRECORE..............
Posted By: kissmyaspen

Re: Spark plug wire recommendation - 07/22/14 03:07 PM

what he said.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Spark plug wire recommendation - 07/22/14 07:32 PM

Moroso or MSD ( I've used Taylors also ) I buy the universal sets that you have to make up the distributor ends so they fit the race motors with headers better
Posted By: Sammy

Re: Spark plug wire recommendation - 07/22/14 11:34 PM

I'm in love with Moroso Ultra 40's.st wire I have ever used.
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Spark plug wire recommendation - 07/22/14 11:46 PM

I've been using the ACCEL 300+ Ferro-Spiral Race Wires on my small blocks for years in conjunction with a Mallory ignition and distributor. No problems and they last.

Here is a big block set. But I get the cut-to-fit style to minimize excess.

ACCEL 300+ Ferro-Spiral Race Wire Set
Posted By: D-50

Re: Spark plug wire recommendation - 07/23/14 12:52 AM

I was running the $16.00 Autozone wires for a while and changed to the expensive MSD wires and I saw no difference.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Spark plug wire recommendation - 07/23/14 05:58 PM

We run Taylor Spiro Pros on everything.My set has been on at least 15 years with big tube headers.The kids BB same thing but about 10 years.They still work great but are looking shabby.Cant complain about that kind of service.Rocky
Posted By: joelson6

Re: Spark plug wire recommendation - 07/23/14 06:28 PM

been running the Taylors for years and had no issues. tried a set of moroso blue max and thought they were junk. i have to buy 2 sets, 90* and 135* cause of the indy ez heads
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Spark plug wire recommendation - 07/24/14 01:41 AM

Thanks, guys. Here is a good read. They are now being purchased by over a dozen Top Fuel teams, 6 ProStock Motorcycles, probably close to 300 sub-7 second 1/4 mile cars. American company, built in Cleveland, Ohio. I'd love to earn your business. Please call with any questions.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388898&highlight=firecore
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Spark plug wire recommendation - 07/24/14 02:42 AM

Firecore for me.

Mark

Attached picture 8217887-!cid_00c501cd235f$07ed4d30$6FB1F383@MobileUnit1.jpg
Posted By: Mopar_Ray

Re: Spark plug wire recommendation - 07/24/14 02:58 AM

Quote:

Its time to buy new wires for the race car. Its a 440 with 90 degree boots on both ends.MSD 6AL box. Am looking for a MSD part number or Firecore or ? thanks. Birdtracker

Firecore

https://www.customwiresets.com/product.php?productid=16195&cat=268&page=1

Fit perfect on my 440/505, Indy EZ-1 heads, TTI 2 1/8 step headers.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Spark plug wire recommendation - 07/24/14 04:07 AM

Quote:

been running the Taylors for years and had no issues. tried a set of moroso blue max and thought they were junk. i have to buy 2 sets, 90* and 135* cause of the indy ez heads

I have EZ heads and my custom fit Firecore50 wires fit perfectly and I only needed one set of wires
A friend of mine had a small block and needed to buy two sets of Taylor's but now his car runs better than ever with one set of custom fit Firecore50 wires
Gus

Attached picture 8217987-rearviewsavoy.jpg
Posted By: prochargedhemi

Re: Spark plug wire recommendation - 07/24/14 04:34 AM

anymore i use the accel 300+. buy it by the spool and make wires for your buddies too. Had Rick (firecore)make me a set and i wasn't impressed.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Spark plug wire recommendation - 07/24/14 04:48 AM

Firecore here with Indy EZ heads. I ordered them and they sent these. They fit perfect and the angle on the boots work great for me with my TTI headers. Ron

Posted By: joelson6

Re: Spark plug wire recommendation - 07/24/14 05:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I have EZ heads and my custom fit Firecore50 wires fit perfectly and I only needed one set of wires
A friend of mine had a small block and needed to buy two sets of Taylor's but now his car runs better than ever with one set of custom fit Firecore50 wires
Gus

alright, what headers are you running? after the $3500 on all the EZ stuff, new cam and lifters, etc, etc, i couldn't afford new TTI headers. so i had to continuing using my hooker super comps. even had to re-route the #2 tube cause i couldn't even install the spark plug. 6 of the wires have 90* boots, 2 have 135* boots - #5 and #7.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Spark plug wire recommendation - 07/24/14 03:09 PM

I'm running Doug's D-452 headers and the same basic set of wires that are on Ron's 63 Ply.
Gus
Posted By: slammedR/T

Re: Spark plug wire recommendation - 07/24/14 05:49 PM

I just bought a set of custom Firecore50 wires last month. Been running the custom moroso ultra 40 wires which I liked. But decided to give the firecore wires a shot since it was time for new wires and I hear nothing but awesome results from everyone that use the firecore wires.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Spark plug wire recommendation - 07/25/14 03:14 PM

I have Firecores on my small block, but have a new set of Magnecors to try. My Firecores are a ton long and the boots are huge. Good wires I'm sure, just don't care for the fit.

Attached picture 8219209-headers013.JPG
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Spark plug wire recommendation - 07/25/14 03:32 PM

Firecore!
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Spark plug wire recommendation - 07/25/14 03:42 PM

D.U.I. "live wires"

Attached picture 8219229-blrmtr5.jpg

Re: Spark plug wire recommendation - 07/25/14 03:52 PM

My only complaint with the firecore wires is my moroso had heat shrink sleeves over the boot and wire points and they had heat shrink cyliner markers on them. The firecore wires don't, just have the little white cylinder markers that always move and I hate them.

Re: Spark plug wire recommendation - 07/25/14 05:59 PM

Quote:

I was running the $16.00 Autozone wires for a while and changed to the expensive MSD wires and I saw no difference.

Grab a boot while running and ...........

Re: Spark plug wire recommendation - 07/25/14 06:04 PM

Quote:

I have Firecores on my small block, but have a new set of Magnecors to try. My Firecores are a ton long and the boots are huge. Good wires I'm sure, just don't care for the fit.

Did you have him send a basic set cos he`ll go off of your measurements and make em perfect like mine were.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Spark plug wire recommendation - 07/25/14 06:25 PM

Count me solidly in the camp that believes there is virtually zero horsepower gain from one brand of wire to another... not squat...

I would be be looking at heat shielding/ability to last being around heat, fit, and even appearance if its important to what a hobbyist has going on under the hood....

Hot rod magazine in fact a few years ago dyno'ed about 10 different wires and said the same thing in an article expressedly to clarify this myth......

So... not being a politician, I will buy wires that fit and are a nice color that matches my underhood....
I find it kinda funny that a fuel team would prefer one wire over another( assuming quality brands being used) because they make way more power than can be used anyhow... thats why clutches are set up to slip so much.... all a wire has to do is conduct output from coil to plug...it isn't rocket science..... good quality wire, connectors, insulation....you are plenty good to go....anything else is politics
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Spark plug wire recommendation - 07/25/14 06:26 PM

Quote:

Wow, that's an old set. One of our originals from longer than 7 years ago, looks like. Haven't used those spark plug boots in a long time. The Pro-Fit sets are longer as to route around the valve covers so guys can lash the valves without taking off the wires. Pro-Fits are for engines with headers. The wire markers moving , must be a new 7mm set. Your Magnum should have 8.5mm wires on it. Markers will not move on them.

Re: Spark plug wire recommendation - 07/25/14 06:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wow, that's an old set. One of our originals from longer than 7 years ago, looks like. Haven't used those spark plug boots in a long time. The Pro-Fit sets are longer as to route around the valve covers so guys can lash the valves without taking off the wires. Pro-Fits are for engines with headers. The wire markers moving , must be a new 7mm set. Your Magnum should have 8.5mm wires on it. Markers will not move on them.

No, I sent in my old moroso and had you make me firecore50 set from them. My maggy motor is a 408 stroker with Indy heads, not stock.
Also didn't mean any thing bad just being nit picky is all, I hate those msd plastic white markers.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Spark plug wire recommendation - 07/25/14 07:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Did you have him send a basic set cos he`ll go off of your measurements and make em perfect like mine were.

Dom, I just called and ordered a set for a SBM .

Re: Spark plug wire recommendation - 07/25/14 07:10 PM

Makes sense.......next time measure and number em and they`ll be perfect or you can shorten em and make em perfect.
© 2024 Moparts Forums