Moparts

Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past

Posted By: mshred

Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/21/14 04:44 PM

I am having an issue with oil leaking from my valve covers. It is a 10.5:1 solid roller street/strip small block mopar. I was originally running a PCV from the driver side valve cover to the carb, and a header pan evac setup from the passenger side vc to the header (passenger vc has hole in the back of the cover, driver side in the front, both are baffled). I noticed after making a pass once the car was sitting parked trying to cool down, the baffle for the pan evac had pushed itself up and oil was leaking down slowly from the valve cover hole down on to the headers- the breather had pushed up during the pass, and oil only started seeping after the car was shut off. I cleaned it up and checked for oil pushing past anywhere else, but I found nothing.

I thought maybe the PCV was not helping, so I put a moroso pan evac breather in on the driver side venting to the air, and then had the same issue there after a pass, although not as bad. This resulted in the exhaust huffing out blue smoke as the oil was now going through the pan evac on the one side and burning oil out the exhaust.

My last attempt to fix the problem resulted in me re-installing the pcv since I never had oil seep from it, and removing the hose from breather for the pan evac (although the hose still did suck air it felt with the car running and hand over the hose). I noticed that with both breathers pushed all the way in, they bottomed out on the baffles in the vc- could this be a problem? I thought it might be, so I did not push the breather in as far. This seemed to help for a couple of passes as I had no oil seeping anywhere, but at the end of the day after the car had sat for a while it had seeped some from the now open pan evac breather.

I know I am building excessive crankcase pressure it seems. All of these passes were on the motor, but my rings are gapped for nitrous (Total Seals). These rings were in the motor last year, and had sealed as I had no consumption issues and I was running the one side pan evac other side pcv setup like I started with this year, but the motor was taken apart and the rings re-used (lots of cross hatch on the cylinders still) this year. Is this the product of poor ring seal? Is it because my breather base is touching the baffle? Do I need a vacuum pump or a catch can setup instead. This is a street motor as well, and I noticed a small amount of oil consumption and smoke from the exhaust on only one occasion in particular while out around town last weekend, and now I know where it is coming from. I did a compression test, and all the cylinders were even within 5psi of eachother. I have 70 psi oil pressure cold at idle, gets down to 18 at idle HOT- standard volume pump, .0025 on the rods, .003 on the mains, Mobil 1 15W50 synthetic oil, pressure WOT down track is 60psi

What is my issue? I have been told I will just kill a vacuum pump with my oil consumption and don't need it with standard tension oil rings, and that a catch can won't do anything to help. I am running a 3" x pipe exhaust with bullet mufflers and know the pan evac can work improperly with an exhaust, which is why I pulled the hose, but although that stopped oil going into the exhaust, it is not helping the crankcase pressure issue. HELP
Posted By: Airwoofer

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/21/14 05:16 PM

Add a vaccuum pump system and seal off the valve covers?
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/21/14 05:37 PM

I`m sure some will figure it out for ya but on a side note, I had pretty good blow by w/Mobile-1 5w30 syn. oil and changed to Valvoline syn. and it`s WAY better and I just run 2 K&N breathers one per side.
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/21/14 06:12 PM

I also just run 1 breather on each valve cover so idk...
Posted By: rt66jim

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/21/14 09:02 PM

I would bet that breather has foam inside instead of wire mesh. It will act as a restriction on the system. I would remove the foam. JMO
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/21/14 09:07 PM

First, what ever you push in to the valve covers can't be touching the baffles. Gotta correct that first. Second, if you are racing with a full exhaust ( like you street drive it), the exhaust evac system won't work. Any back pressure on the evac tubes will close off the valves and shut the system off. If you are running a pcv, the crankcase ( other valve cover ) has to be vented to the atmosphere. Having a pcv on one valve cover and an exhaust evac on the other won't work as there will be no vent to the atmosphere that way. Keep in mind all these scenerios can change a little bit based on exhaust back pressure and how much engine blow-by you have. Example: When I test on the street, I run a very minimal back pressure exhaust system. With my exhaust evac system hooked up ( both sides ) I can still pull a small amount of vacuum at idle and up to about 2K ( around 3" of water ). Somewhere around 2500rpm the exhaust back pressure is enough to close off the valves and the crankcase goes to pressure. If I wind it up, it will be enough pressure to blow out a breather so the crankcase can vent. So, if you are running a full exhaust ( quiet enough to be legal ), exhaust evacs won't work. They will work great if you run open headers at the track. If you don't want to play switcharu between the street and the track, just run 2 breathers and vent them to the atmosphere - after you fix the breather to baffle problem. Be prepared to wipe down your fire wall on a regular interval.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/21/14 09:14 PM

Are you running open headers or with a exhaust system..
if running a exhaust system take the evacs out(both
sides) and run open breathers or 1 breather and a PCV
Also try blowing thru the breather to see if you can..
I have a pair of breathers on my 416 and I couldnt
blow thru them and had to pull some of the material
out of them.. you should be able to blow thru them easy
and blow thru them from the engine side(the way the
air would be going)
Posted By: Dartwizer

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/21/14 09:17 PM

I had the problem also ,found the check valves we're stop up with rust.I pulled all that out,and use two breathers on each side for now.will go to a vacuum pump in the future.Side note I run alcohol and condensation was ending up in the check valves,,,,,,,,

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/21/14 09:41 PM

My car is a race only application, but one of the things you can do is; If you are driving it on the street with an exhaust evac system, disconnect the hoses at the evac valves and let them vent under the car. It will keep the engine compartment much cleaner. Then when you go to the track, pull the exhaust system and hook the hoses back up. When I am testing on the street with mufflers hooked up, I usually pull one hose so the crankcase can vent at higher RPM's. Pic is of home made water monometer I used for evac / crankcase pressure testing.

Attached picture 8215535-monometer.jpg

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/21/14 09:45 PM

Quote:

I had the problem also ,found the check valves we're stop up with rust.I pulled all that out,and use two breathers on each side for now.will go to a vacuum pump in the future.Side note I run alcohol and condensation was ending up in the check valves,,,,,,,,

Check valves should be a maintenance item. Once a year you replace them.

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/21/14 11:22 PM

Quote:

I would bet that breather has foam inside instead of wire mesh. It will act as a restriction on the system. I would remove the foam. JMO

The breathers have a wire mesh on the inside of them...one of the first things I did was look in there to check for a restriction, there is absolutely NONE

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/21/14 11:26 PM

Quote:

First, what ever you push in to the valve covers can't be touching the baffles. Gotta correct that first. Second, if you are racing with a full exhaust ( like you street drive it), the exhaust evac system won't work. Any back pressure on the evac tubes will close off the valves and shut the system off. If you are running a pcv, the crankcase ( other valve cover ) has to be vented to the atmosphere. Having a pcv on one valve cover and an exhaust evac on the other won't work as there will be no vent to the atmosphere that way. Keep in mind all these scenerios can change a little bit based on exhaust back pressure and how much engine blow-by you have. Example: When I test on the street, I run a very minimal back pressure exhaust system. With my exhaust evac system hooked up ( both sides ) I can still pull a small amount of vacuum at idle and up to about 2K ( around 3" of water ). Somewhere around 2500rpm the exhaust back pressure is enough to close off the valves and the crankcase goes to pressure. If I wind it up, it will be enough pressure to blow out a breather so the crankcase can vent. So, if you are running a full exhaust ( quiet enough to be legal ), exhaust evacs won't work. They will work great if you run open headers at the track. If you don't want to play switcharu between the street and the track, just run 2 breathers and vent them to the atmosphere - after you fix the breather to baffle problem. Be prepared to wipe down your fire wall on a regular interval.

I agree with you about the breathers touching the valve cover baffles not being right....Not sure if I should just cut the breather nipple that goes in to the valve cover, or modify the valve cover baffles in some fashion.

I don't think my issue was the valve closing from backpressure- if it was, how was oil getting past the check valve and burning out the passenger side tail pipe where I had the evac tube? Also, my evac hose had quite a lot of oil in it.

I figured that with the pcv hooked up that the other breather going to the evac would be like venting to the atmosphere...I guess I was wrong lol...and when I put a breather in the driver side valve cover, I have the same issue of seeping just not as bad as the passenger side.

I run a full exhaust at the track as I do on the street, with bullet mufflers, and I plan to continue to run it that way as my class requires mufflers.

Thanks for the insight and suggestions so far! I will try to modify my breathers first and see what happens.

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/21/14 11:27 PM

Quote:

Are you running open headers or with a exhaust system..
if running a exhaust system take the evacs out(both
sides) and run open breathers or 1 breather and a PCV
Also try blowing thru the breather to see if you can..
I have a pair of breathers on my 416 and I couldnt
blow thru them and had to pull some of the material
out of them.. you should be able to blow thru them easy
and blow thru them from the engine side(the way the
air would be going)

Running a full exhaust Mike....So you are saying ditch the evac style/mopar style breathers and get an open breather system? I will try blowing through my current ones and see what happens.

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/21/14 11:29 PM

Quote:

Your breathers were doing the same thing? Pushing out and oil seeping past afterwards?

I doubt it is my check valves, they are only a few months old at best. Are you using the Mopar style breathers like what comes in an pan evac kit, or open air filter style breathers?

Where is the best place to measure vacuum on the engine? I have a strange, unlucky feeling that I am going to need to use a vacuum pump to cure this, but I will try these cheaper fixes first to see what happens.

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/22/14 12:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Your breathers were doing the same thing? Pushing out and oil seeping past afterwards?

I doubt it is my check valves, they are only a few months old at best. Are you using the Mopar style breathers like what comes in an pan evac kit, or open air filter style breathers?

Where is the best place to measure vacuum on the engine? I have a strange, unlucky feeling that I am going to need to use a vacuum pump to cure this, but I will try these cheaper fixes first to see what happens.

You shouldnt need a vac pump.. run at least 1 breather
and the PCV and fix the issue with the baffle(where
its contacting the breather.. dont use the evac with
muffs.. if you knew for fact that they are less than
about 3"HG(merc) then you could but dont bother using
them... I've been running just the 2 breathers and
baffles with zero oil coming out of them
Posted By: D-50

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/22/14 01:08 AM

A couple of years ago when I made a pass I was getting oil leaking out of my breathers and getting on my headers. I drilled a hole in the front of my passenger side mopar performance valve cover and ran a hose to a catch can and put a moroso header evac in the header on that side and I never had the problem again. The driver side has a hose ran down and just open to air. I also run Bullet mufflers, I have never raced anything with open headers I do not like all the noise. I think mine is way to loud with the Bullet mufflers on it now.

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/22/14 01:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree with you about the breathers touching the valve cover baffles not being right....Not sure if I should just cut the breather nipple that goes in to the valve cover, or modify the valve cover baffles in some fashion.

I don't think my issue was the valve closing from backpressure- if it was, how was oil getting past the check valve and burning out the passenger side tail pipe where I had the evac tube? Also, my evac hose had quite a lot of oil in it.

I figured that with the pcv hooked up that the other breather going to the evac would be like venting to the atmosphere...I guess I was wrong lol...and when I put a breather in the driver side valve cover, I have the same issue of seeping just not as bad as the passenger side.

I run a full exhaust at the track as I do on the street, with bullet mufflers, and I plan to continue to run it that way as my class requires mufflers.

Thanks for the insight and suggestions so far! I will try to modify my breathers first and see what happens.

Yes, you can cut back the breather nipples 1/8" or there abouts and still have enough "bump" to hold them in. I did that for clearance on my baffles. If you are running a full exhaust, dump the exhaust evac system. It aint gonna work. It sounds like you have excessive blow-by. I run lots of ring clearance on my blown application, but don't have oil in my exhaust evac hoses? It might be time to do a compression test and leak down test to get an idea of engine health. How do the plugs look? Got oil consumption issues? If you are not running a locking dip stick, does it stay in the tube when you make a run. All signs of excessive blow-by. You could hook up your pcv system and, at idle, you should have a slight vacuum ( negative pressure ) in the crankcase. If it's positive, you got excessive blow-by.

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/22/14 05:21 AM

Quote:

A couple of years ago when I made a pass I was getting oil leaking out of my breathers and getting on my headers. I drilled a hole in the front of my passenger side mopar performance valve cover and ran a hose to a catch can and put a moroso header evac in the header on that side and I never had the problem again. The driver side has a hose ran down and just open to air. I also run Bullet mufflers, I have never raced anything with open headers I do not like all the noise. I think mine is way to loud with the Bullet mufflers on it now.

Was the leak coming from the base of the breathers, like the grommet area?

I was thinking of putting caps where my breathers are and having a bung welded to the front of each valve cover with line going to a puke tank. Do you have a baffle behind the bungs on yours?

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/22/14 05:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, you can cut back the breather nipples 1/8" or there abouts and still have enough "bump" to hold them in. I did that for clearance on my baffles. If you are running a full exhaust, dump the exhaust evac system. It aint gonna work. It sounds like you have excessive blow-by. I run lots of ring clearance on my blown application, but don't have oil in my exhaust evac hoses? It might be time to do a compression test and leak down test to get an idea of engine health. How do the plugs look? Got oil consumption issues? If you are not running a locking dip stick, does it stay in the tube when you make a run. All signs of excessive blow-by. You could hook up your pcv system and, at idle, you should have a slight vacuum ( negative pressure ) in the crankcase. If it's positive, you got excessive blow-by.

I tried "shorter" breathers tonight, and there was a difference. I think they are still pretty close to touching, but they fit snugger then my Moroso breathers (they are the breathers that came with my Summit pan evac kit I ran with last years headers). I am going to chop some off with a saw tomorrow and see if it helps. But what I did notice is that it is now just lightly wet on the valve cover, not wet enough to drip down on to the header, after I shut the car off from a drive and pop the hood.

I honestly think my problem with the oil in the evac is from the evac possibly not working properly with the exhaust. It was only with the evac that the breather was actually being pushed up, indicating to me that it must have been creating positive pressure in the crankcase. Maybe there was some sort of reversion that caused oil to build up some in the line and burn out the exhaust. I say it was wet with oil, but I don't know how much oil is needed to burn out the exhaust for smoke- there was no oil consumption from it at the track this weekend on the one pass that it happened. The oil dipstick does not get pushed out either, and it is not a locking one.

I did a compression test, all cylinders are within 5psi of eachother. Thinking of doing a leakdown, but I don't think my rings are bad. My plugs do not have oil on them either. I think ditching the pan evac was a step in the right direction....maybe a puke tank next, and a leakdown test if I can get one...Although a friend made a good point to me- if the compression test checked out good and the cylinders were all almost dead nuts even, a leakdown isn't going to show a leak unless they are ALL leaking (and it would be funny if they were all leaking the same).

Maybe I should take a picture of the valve covers dry and then wet after driving- I have a friend who had the same problem with a boosted motor, and he INSISTS I am worrying too much about it. His problem went almost entirely away after ditching the pan evac that he was running with his full exhaust, and now he just runs a catch can with a nipple threaded into the valve cover and has been good since.

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/22/14 05:43 AM

Disconnect the evac hose and try it... that WILL fix
your problem... your making this way to difficult

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/22/14 06:06 AM

Quote:

Disconnect the evac hose and try it... that WILL fix
your problem... your making this way to difficult

Mike, I don't think your following...the hose is disconnected lol...It has been disconnected, and I still have oil seeping past the breather grommets.

I am thinking a catch can with lines from each valve cover will do it. I found this link, might install this in the front of each valve cover to a puke tank, and then maybe cap off the original holes in the valve cover?

http://www.starvacuumpumps.com/products/STR.06.11.001

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/22/14 06:17 AM

Then you need to make better baffles.. also where are
they located... during testing on the dyno I seen that
if your over the front wide rocker stand you get the
least amount of oil there
EDIT
also is it coming out between the rubber and the VC
or between the rubber and the breather
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/22/14 06:42 AM

You should consider screw down breathers, rather than push in. They will clear the baffle for one and are more efficent as far as not being able to push out. Some racers around here run a hose from both valve covers, tee into 1 line and end up on the fire wall into a puke tank that is vented. Myself, I just run 2 breathers on the covers to the check valves in the headers. No full exhaust but never an issue. I have never re-used old rings, that's just me I guess. You should consider maybe a taller valve cover and both breathers in front. But as you said, it worked good last year for you.

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/22/14 07:12 AM

I trimmed the breathers down a bit for baffle clearance and siliconed em in solid to the valve covers so when I check/set lash, I hit em w/brake clean, blow em dry and back in business............
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/22/14 08:25 AM

Hit the darn thing with nitrous! That will clear it right up! If it doesn't, step up the jets until it does!

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/22/14 03:03 PM

Quote:

Hit the darn thing with nitrous! That will clear it right up! If it doesn't, step up the jets until it does!

Is this sarcasm? LOL...I only ask because I have a friend who says the same thing, and he isn't kidding...he is a nitrous guy and says that all the nitrous motors he and others build don't seal the rings properly until you give them a nice hit of spray like they were meant to take...then everything on motor is better too...Not sure if there is any truth to that

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/22/14 03:05 PM

Quote:

EDIT

The oil is coming out between the rubber and the breather. I am going to pull the valve covers off today to check where the baffle is over, but I seem to remember it being over a shaft pedestal in the heads. The valve covers are the cheap fabbed type you can get from a variety of sellers on ebay.

I was thinking of drilling a hole into the valve covers to run lines to a puke tank, but not sure if that would need to be baffled either or if its a good place for it.

When using open breathers or a puke tank that breathes, is it helping to vent crankcase pressure?

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/22/14 03:06 PM

Quote:

You should consider screw down breathers, rather than push in. They will clear the baffle for one and are more efficent as far as not being able to push out. Some racers around here run a hose from both valve covers, tee into 1 line and end up on the fire wall into a puke tank that is vented. Myself, I just run 2 breathers on the covers to the check valves in the headers. No full exhaust but never an issue. I have never re-used old rings, that's just me I guess. You should consider maybe a taller valve cover and both breathers in front. But as you said, it worked good last year for you.

Who makes the screw in breathers? And how would I thread the valve covers for them?

I re-used the rings since they cylinders looked really good and the rings did NOT have a lot of mileage on them. My current valve covers are already pretty tall. I am thinking of adding a line to the front of each going to a puke tank.

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/22/14 03:08 PM

Quote:

I trimmed the breathers down a bit for baffle clearance and siliconed em in solid to the valve covers so when I check/set lash, I hit em w/brake clean, blow em dry and back in business............

Friend threw this out to me as well, said to silicone the breather into the grommet with a little bit of the right stuff for now. I think I might try it till I get the parts to do the puke tank setup.

I realize that this whole problem could be a sign of excess pressure, but so far I don't have any seals being pushed or leaks created, so I imagine my excess pressure was the evac setup creating positive pressure in the crank case, and now that I got rid of that, I should be ok.

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/22/14 04:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I tried "shorter" breathers tonight, and there was a difference. I think they are still pretty close to touching, but they fit snugger then my Moroso breathers (they are the breathers that came with my Summit pan evac kit I ran with last years headers). I am going to chop some off with a saw tomorrow and see if it helps. But what I did notice is that it is now just lightly wet on the valve cover, not wet enough to drip down on to the header, after I shut the car off from a drive and pop the hood.

I honestly think my problem with the oil in the evac is from the evac possibly not working properly with the exhaust. It was only with the evac that the breather was actually being pushed up, indicating to me that it must have been creating positive pressure in the crankcase. Maybe there was some sort of reversion that caused oil to build up some in the line and burn out the exhaust. I say it was wet with oil, but I don't know how much oil is needed to burn out the exhaust for smoke- there was no oil consumption from it at the track this weekend on the one pass that it happened. The oil dipstick does not get pushed out either, and it is not a locking one.

I did a compression test, all cylinders are within 5psi of eachother. Thinking of doing a leakdown, but I don't think my rings are bad. My plugs do not have oil on them either. I think ditching the pan evac was a step in the right direction....maybe a puke tank next, and a leakdown test if I can get one...Although a friend made a good point to me- if the compression test checked out good and the cylinders were all almost dead nuts even, a leakdown isn't going to show a leak unless they are ALL leaking (and it would be funny if they were all leaking the same).

Maybe I should take a picture of the valve covers dry and then wet after driving- I have a friend who had the same problem with a boosted motor, and he INSISTS I am worrying too much about it. His problem went almost entirely away after ditching the pan evac that he was running with his full exhaust, and now he just runs a catch can with a nipple threaded into the valve cover and has been good since.

If the engine checks out ok and you have removed the evac system - and you still have oil coming out of the breathers, the valve cover baffles are not doing their jobs. You should not have to run a catch can or screw in breathers with your set up. If you have an extra hole you are not using in one of your valve covers, consider installing a test port (pic). then you can actually measure crankcase pressure while you try different stuff.

Attached picture 8216166-fan1.jpg

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/22/14 05:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

EDIT

The oil is coming out between the rubber and the breather. I am going to pull the valve covers off today to check where the baffle is over, but I seem to remember it being over a shaft pedestal in the heads. The valve covers are the cheap fabbed type you can get from a variety of sellers on ebay.

I was thinking of drilling a hole into the valve covers to run lines to a puke tank, but not sure if that would need to be baffled either or if its a good place for it.

When using open breathers or a puke tank that breathes, is it helping to vent crankcase pressure?

You can always go back to a factory design which had a pcv valve on one v-cover and a breather on the other so at cruise speeds when vac is highest it will help controll leaks but at the expense of oil vapor in the intake charge. Or you can silicone the gromets in like I did THEN see if it`s still leaking. Sounds more like regular leaks so far than blow by/crank case issues and easy enuff 2 fix.........

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/22/14 11:56 PM

I was examining the breathers today...it looks like the cheap crimped on design is actually allowing oil to leak past. So I cut the nipple that goes in to the V/C shorter, and put some right stuff (not pretty, but will tell me what is leaking) around the crimped area on the breathers. Going to drive it and see if it still leaks some there. I also now have some oil seeping from the front oil pan seal

Unfortunately my valve covers only have one hole in them, and they are baffled, so I am not sure how they aren't doing their job? Is the fuel pump block off plate a good area to measure vacuum from?

I tried looking for SBM valve covers that have no holes in them so I can make my own, but I can't find any

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/23/14 02:47 AM

Quote:

I was examining the breathers today...it looks like the cheap crimped on design is actually allowing oil to leak past. So I cut the nipple that goes in to the V/C shorter, and put some right stuff (not pretty, but will tell me what is leaking) around the crimped area on the breathers. Going to drive it and see if it still leaks some there. I also now have some oil seeping from the front oil pan seal

Unfortunately my valve covers only have one hole in them, and they are baffled, so I am not sure how they aren't doing their job? Is the fuel pump block off plate a good area to measure vacuum from?

I tried looking for SBM valve covers that have no holes in them so I can make my own, but I can't find any

Yes, you can use the FP block off plate, but a better choice would be the dip stick tube. If you had oil in the evac hoses, don't think sealing the breathers is your MAIN problem?
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/23/14 03:05 AM

1) Breathers that don't bottom out on the baffles.

2) Hoses OFF of the pan evac valves just vented to the bottom of the eng compartment.

If you're rings are sealed up, then the majority of the issue is that pan evac with muffs. Even the slightest amount of back pressure will cause the symptoms that you're describing.

Do you miss the old 12 second motor yet??....LOL!!
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/23/14 03:47 AM

Definitely cut and get the breather nipples off the baffles.

Your evac hose is already Off/disconnected at the header and muffler system, so that is not Back pressurizing it.

Forget about hooking up a vaccum test port at the fuel pump block off plate. You dont have any vacuum. You have positive pressure. The leaks may be helped or stopped by sealing the breathers and reducing the nipple length to get them off the baffle plates.

Start there, if you still have to much positive pressure, oil will come out of the filters on the breathers. Then, you have Bigger problems, loss of ring seal or leaking head gasket.

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/23/14 04:15 AM

Quote:

Your evac hose is already Off/disconnected at the header and muffler system, so that is not Back pressurizing it.

Forget about hooking up a vaccum test port at the fuel pump block off plate. You dont have any vacuum. You have positive pressure. The leaks may be helped or stopped by sealing the breathers and reducing the nipple length to get them off the baffle plates.

Start there, if you still have to much positive pressure, oil will come out of the filters on the breathers. Then, you have Bigger problems, loss of ring seal or leaking head gasket.

He can measure how much pressure is there if he used
the vac port (anywhere in the crank case system) I
had a port in the back of the valve cover to monitor
my vac.. he can use a compound gauge or a balance tube
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/23/14 04:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

He can measure how much pressure is there if he used
the vac port (anywhere in the crank case system) I
had a port in the back of the valve cover to monitor
my vac.. he can use a compound gauge or a balance tube

Just curious, I have a digital manometer and was wondering if it would be good for this?

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/23/14 04:46 AM

Just curious, I have a digital manometer and was wondering if it would be good for this?

Sure if it reads + and - .. and the ones I used did
read both
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/23/14 04:51 AM

Screw down breathers are required now at most tracks running events. That is why I mentioned it. They are also shorter going into the cover. Many places are making them. Morroso makes them and are usually hanging up on speed shop walls. They come with a rubber Oring seal, and washer. They are height adjustable and the nut locks on the inside. Some you can weld a threaded bung on.

as I said, I run an exhaust evac system, or sometimes just 2 breathers (screw on) on the front of the v/c myself

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/23/14 05:00 AM

Quote:

read both

Thanks Mike. I may check Matts engine out as we did a mid season bearing change on his 360 small block and his cranked out a couple 10.62 on a very hot day 2 weekends ago but he pushed some oil out the breather too. Runs to good for a .040 over 360 to be hurt but he can't run an e-vak system either as it has full exhaust on his duster.

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/23/14 05:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

read both

Thanks Mike. I may check Matts engine out as we did a mid season bearing change on his 360 small block and his cranked out a couple 10.62 on a very hot day 2 weekends ago but he pushed some oil out the breather too. Runs to good for a .040 over 360 to be hurt but he can't run an e-vak system either as it has full exhaust on his duster.

I think he just has a baffle issue.. it might not
be making pressure but if the baffle isnt doing its job
it can be just the oil flying around and getting out..
put your gauge on it and check

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/23/14 05:59 AM

Quote:

Leaking head gasket just caught my attention...what is a sign of that? how do I know?

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/23/14 04:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Leaking head gasket just caught my attention...what is a sign of that? how do I know?

Oil in the coolant, coolant in the oil, low coolant, high oil level, bubbles in the coolant when running, leak down tester could pick it up, Coolant pressure tester would definitely pick it up. Let the car sit for a few days, then crack the eng drain plug. Water ( or milky stuff ) will come out first if you have coolant in the oil. white exhaust smoke. - all in no particular order.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/23/14 06:04 PM

I didn't read all of this, but I don't know when it became a forgone conclusion that if you run mufflers, you CAN'T run a header evac system. Because that is simply NOT TRUE. I have run evacs on several muffled cars over the years and so do hundreds of other people with absolutely no issues. Every exhaust system in the world does NOT make back pressure and keep the evacs from working. That's one of those things that a guy had a problem, he told somebody, they said this, he told this guy, that guy told somebody else and before you know it, it becomes common that evacs and mufflers won't work. Except that knowledge is generally wrong.

But, to the original posters issue.....if it is pushing the breathers out, smokes out the evacs when connected, seems to me it has a lot of blowby

Monte

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/23/14 06:23 PM

Quote:

I didn't read all of this, but I don't know when it became a forgone conclusion that if you run mufflers, you CAN'T run a header evac system. Because that is simply NOT TRUE. I have run evacs on several muffled cars over the years and so do hundreds of other people with absolutely no issues. Every exhaust system in the world does NOT make back pressure and keep the evacs from working. That's one of those things that a guy had a problem, he told somebody, they said this, he told this guy, that guy told somebody else and before you know it, it becomes common that evacs and mufflers won't work. Except that knowledge is generally wrong.

But, to the original posters issue.....if it is pushing the breathers out, smokes out the evacs when connected, seems to me it has a lot of blowby

Monte

Monte.. you can run them with exhaust BUT if the exhaust
has 5"hg or greater then it will start to pressurize
the crank case and for every inch of back pressure
it reduces the vac in the crank case by the same amount
Posted By: STEFF

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/23/14 06:30 PM

I run Crank Case Evacs with mufflers. I just put the one-way connectors after the muffler......problem solved.

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/23/14 06:34 PM

Quote:

Monte

Well, you should have read my first post - where I mentioned all scenarios aren't the same and I referenced full street exhaust systems as " quiet enough to be legal". Any muffler ( and I use the term loosely ) that you can look straight threw and uses a 3" I.D. pipe or larger aint quiet enough to be legal - except maybe at your track - Harleys excluded. Kinda reminds me of the pump gas / race gas thing. I pump my 110 from a GAS PUMP at a GAS STATION. Is it pump gas or race gas???

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/23/14 06:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Well, you should have read my first post - where I mentioned all scenarios aren't the same and I referenced full street exhaust systems as " quiet enough to be legal". Any muffler ( and I use the term loosely ) that you can look straight threw and uses a 3" I.D. pipe or larger aint quiet enough to be legal - except maybe at your track - Harleys excluded. Kinda reminds me of the pump gas / race gas thing. I pump my 110 from a GAS PUMP at a GAS STATION. Is it pump gas or race gas???

Race gas.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/23/14 07:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

maybe so but I have also run them with exhaust and they worked fine. No pressure in the crank case

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/23/14 07:55 PM

Quote:

I run Crank Case Evacs with mufflers. I just put the one-way connectors after the muffler......no problems.

Cheater!

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/23/14 08:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

maybe so but I have also run them with exhaust and they worked fine. No pressure in the crank case

I guess I didn't do a very good job of qualifying a street exhaust system verses a race exhaust system.

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/23/14 08:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Race gas.

- but if it was in your car and you wanted to impress the masses without actually lying - ???

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/23/14 08:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Race gas.

- but if it was in your car and you wanted to impress the masses without actually lying - ???

That's why I always add 93 octane to my pump gas posts. We have a few east coast cheaters.

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/23/14 08:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If a gasket is breached into the intake vally, what your seeing could be a sign of that.

Its either that or to much blowby. A compression check comparison might catch a blown gasket, depends how bad its leaking.

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/23/14 10:41 PM

I don't have any white exhaust smoke (except when I had oil built up in the evac tube), high or low oil level, coolant in the oil, or any of those symptoms, so hopefully it is NOT a head gasket issue. I don't drive the car every day, and when I do I check the oil...never milky or anything of the sort.

I have thought about moving my check valves for the evac behind the mufflers, but my mufflers are right at the end of my exhaust and then there are short turn downs right after them....Would make it a little difficult to burn em in there, and not sure how effective they would be there with not much pipe past them.

I did a compression test a few days ago, and all the cylinders were healthy, within 5-10psi range of eachother. I really do hope it is not blowby from the rings....I didn't think there would be a problem reusing my rings that don't have much miles on them in cylinders that still had lots of cross hatch
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/23/14 11:45 PM

I bet the sealant you added to the covers and breathers will help. You likely have more oil up top now since your not oiling the lifters anymore and that might be splashing its way up. Mine leaks oil from the breathers after a pass or hard run and I just wipe it off and roll on lol. It leaks down average of about 2.5-3% so I am not concerned its a blow by problem.

Now the big question, what did it run with the new setup?

Clark

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/24/14 12:15 AM

Quote:

I bet the sealant you added to the covers and breathers will help. You likely have more oil up top now since your not oiling the lifters anymore and that might be splashing its way up. Mine leaks oil from the breathers after a pass or hard run and I just wipe it off and roll on lol. It leaks down average of about 2.5-3% so I am not concerned its a blow by problem.

Now the big question, what did it run with the new setup?

Clark

I hope it does, or atleast puts me in the right direction. Taking the car for a drive tonight to the local hangout, so I will see when I get there what it looks like under the hood.

I have also decided that I am going to add a catch can and drill into my fuel pump block off plate with a -10 or -12 line to add some extra ventilation. If that with the open breathers does not help, I am going to try moving the check valves for the pan evac behind my mufflers...only problem is there is only about 1-2" of straight pipe after the muffler before it turns right down.

And yes, about the cars performance...I went 10.95 right off the trailer at 120mph running way LEAN. I left everything as it was from last year suspension wise, 34 degrees total timing, and a tighter nitrous converter. Went a 1.47 60' on that pass. I ran a 7.0 index the rest of the weekend and added some jet to the carb to get rid of the lean condition but didn't mess with anything else since it was running right at the index. I plan to head out to a TNT, try get some .80's out of it on the motor, and then once I get this crankcase pressure sorted out I want to start hitting it with the spray. Have a race with a exhaust, cold air, and tune GTR coming up that I NEED to win LOL

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/24/14 01:23 AM

Quote:

[qu I am going to try moving the check valves for the pan evac behind my mufflers...only problem is there is only about 1-2" of straight pipe after the muffler before it turns right down.

No need for that IMO as you already stated that you disconnected that, as a test and it still pushed oil, right. And if you have the check valves and they are working, no need for that either..
Posted By: dvw

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/24/14 10:28 PM

I tried venting out of the fuel pump plate. Even with a Jessel belt and no timing chain it slung so much oil it filled the can in the garage. It now draws from the front of the right valve cover. Can make 25+ passes w/o emptying the tank.
Doug

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/24/14 10:41 PM

Quote:

I tried venting out of the fuel pump plate. Even with a Jessel belt and no timing chain it slung so much oil it filled the can in the garage. It now draws from the front of the right valve cover. Can make 25+ passes w/o emptying the tank.
Doug

I ordered the fittings to draw from the plate. I am going to run the hose up and over my alternator and down to the catch can in hopes that gravity will work for me and keep the oil down in the engine but pull pressure out of the crank case. I will have to try and see what happens. If it does not work, new fuel pump block off plate and bungs at the front of the valve covers. Do your bungs have a baffle behind them?

Also, I took the car for a drive last night- it seems after sealing up the crimped areas on the cheap evac breathers, no more oil is leaking out of them. I have hoses on each breather directed under the car. I am going to add the vent from the block off plate just for extra crankcase pressure relief. Also, what I thought was my front pan seal leaking is actually my crank seal- I must have hurt it when I was driving around with the pan evac creating positive pressure in the crankcase. I have an extra one I am going to install when the parts to do the block off plate get here.

I'll report back then as to what happens, but so far it seems I am on the right track.
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Pushing breathers out, oil seeping past - 07/25/14 12:14 AM

I would think you need bigger than a -12 line in the plate.I was thinking of a -20 if I don't weld a 1 1/2" pipe there with an elbow.
© 2024 Moparts Forums